test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Twin fire scorpions

What's up everyone?

My main question is what strategy does everyone use to fight the scorpions on elol. The group I was in had a tank take the left scorpion to the other side of the room and the rest of us burn down the right scorpion. I have gwf 2518. My defense is like 5600 and my hit points are above 98000. I was with a paladin 2600 gs and 2 sw. One was 2300 the other 1800. That damn scorpion trashed us about 4 times. I avoided it's Aoe moves but sometimes the damn claw swipe would take me out. Eventually we beat it but it sure seemed more difficult than it should be with the high gear scores in there. I'm thinking maybe I should have waited for the healer to do their buffs and procs but running these dungeons it seems everyone is kinda afraid to run in first or make a move. Everyone kinda stood around waiting and I figured I should go first since I have armor. In most games I played wizards didn't really have armor to take hits like that. I figure a soul forged enhancement would help but I was just curious about what other people do. I've seen some tanks aggro both scorpions and the group just burn them one at time. Like I said just curious and hoping to pick up on some things that I maybe haven't noticed or thought of.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sevendust387#5375 sevendust387 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Seems like the best strategy to separate the scorpions, I would die so fast by the claw swipe as well
  • Options
    zheng#6107 zheng Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    A good tank can Agro both and stay alive long enough for the dps to kill one of the scorpions, a mediocre tank will have to lure one to the other side. While you are attacking the left over scorpion keep in mind he can never do his claw swipe twice in a row, so after he misses one you can get some hits in before you have to run out. Having a tank familiar works also like the wardog. It's really a dps battle on how fast you can kill it before the team makes a mistake. What usually happens in the scorpion be focused on someone and all of a sudden turn around and 1hit you with the claw, and you don't really have time to respond to the sudden switch in agro
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    It depends on which of our tanks is with us. Our Pally Tank (the tank is his main and is the strongest of all of the tanks we have so far) can take both Scorpions and we focus our attacks on one. The only issue is we have to put some companions away because if one of the scorpions breaks loose they go straight for the healer.

If we have a different tank with us, they take the one on the right and someone (anyone who can agro and stay alive) leads the one on the left to the back where they play tag with it until we kill the one on the tank.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    critshot1234#3954 critshot1234 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I as a pally tank just plonk myself in-between both scorpions and absorb everything. The scorpions don't or shouldn't hit that hard if the tank is set up correctly and doing his rotations the only thing that can be fatal is if you get knocked around a lot by the rocks that fall from the ceiling but that should only effect a tank if your half paying attention as moving out of the way is easily done.

As always if the tank is struggling to survive throwing a cleric debuffer/buffer at him should alleviate any issues.

P.S. If your pally tank is unable to deal roughly 25% of the DPS's damage at any given time he will struggle with aggro the pallys agro abilities are currently bugged except for oath strike which taunts any add he hits for 3 seconds on the 3rd swing of the attack (I'd also strongly recommended taking off any tanking pets as they can be more annoying than anything else)
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin
  • Options
    frenzal#4831 frenzal Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    I'm new to level 70, mostly PVP but as I'm getting gear I decided to start trying some dungeons. I'm being put into groups with huge gear scores and they all play like they're terrified and have no idea how to play their class. Have yet to complete a dungeon at 70. It's ridiculous.
  • Options
    warppigeon#2768 warppigeon Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Depends entirely on group. I prefer the tank to take both, as you can burn both down together. Some tanks can do it some can't. no one is expecting the tank to stand there getting hit. Depends if they can kite 2 as easily as they can 1. If they don't you are likely also out of range of the paladin/GF buffs. so the burn is a lot slower.
  • Options

I'm new to level 70, mostly PVP but as I'm getting gear I decided to start trying some dungeons. I'm being put into groups with huge gear scores and they all play like they're terrified and have no idea how to play their class. Have yet to complete a dungeon at 70. It's ridiculous.

Sorry, this was somewhat off-topic but I had the scorpion fight in mind since it is the dungeon I would like to complete. We had a GWF and a DC that ate every single thing that fell from the sky. If something was falling, they made sure they didn't move out from under it and I'd pick them up so they could die again. Whatever that mechanic is, is what has killed the couple groups I've been in. Don't know if people just aren't paying attention or what.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    More likely just inexperienced. A group that know what they're doing do not have any problems. If the tank has good DR and threat gen then they can indeed just stand between the scorpions and take the damage, especially if the DC is debuffing them.
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Last night three of us from our guild went into eLoL (a Tank, DPS and Me as Healer) - it was our third or fourth run in there but the first one without 100% guildies (the other two DPS left to make dinner). So we get two randoms that happen to be in the same guild. One is a strong SW the other a fresh new 70 CW.

We make it to Lostmauth and he lands and the CW is dead. Then Lostmauth goes bonkers. Its like he was secretly buffed. We run this dungeon every night and last night between the lag (fireballs had no fire on them and I couldn't see AOE's) people randomly dropping dead and rocks appearing on their dead bodies, and the 4 manning it because the CW was always insta-dead It was a nightmare. We wiped 3 times, the CW always first and most of the wipes came from trying to pick the CW up, then pick up the person who went to pick the CW up. So our DPS looks at the scoreboard - the CW had done less than a million damage - that's less than the healer and less than the tank. Now the SW that was there was doing fine, rivaling our own DPS guy. The two of them leave after the third wipe. We get two randoms in with average gear score (2100ish) - they actually do damage - we make it through with no issues on the first try with them.

If you are a new lv 70 DPS and you aren't in the top three on damage then you are the weak link in the dungeon. I did over 23mil in healing in that dungeon and was 4th in DPS... we shouldn't have been there long enough for me to GET 23 mil healing. Part of getting through the dungeons is having the DPS to take down the baddies fast enough that you aren't dancing in the AOE's and Fireballs, and Lava, and sonic roar, and fire breath and laser beam eyes. It doesn't matter how strong the rest of the crew is, a group can only hold up so long to that before the juggling begins and you find yourself ping ponged 30 feet out into the lava.

I guess it was amazing to me how just one weak DPS brought the whole thing down so quickly. Looking back we shouldn't have tried to pick him up, that was what caused the carnage.

Sorry - just had to vent there for a second after reading @frenzal#4831 and thinking about last night.
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    ravenskya said:

Sorry - just had to vent there for a second after reading @frenzal#4831 and thinking about last night.

Nah dude it's cool, I get it. This is the first game I've played where I decided I was done committing to being some raid tank. So, I'm enjoying myself as a HR. If I wasn't pulling my weight, I wouldn't queue anymore. I've been near top on everything I've tried, always top on throne of gods (but that's a ton of aoe, so its skewed) and I'm always last to die, pick people up and have dodge buffs. I know what you're saying, I just don't let myself be the weak link. The thing I'm not understanding, is I'm holding my own at ~1800 pvp ilvl vs these pugs of ~2300 who are cowering from trash mobs and struggling to stand out of fire.

The only thing that is making me really frustrated with this game, is having to pug.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    ravenskya said:

Last night three of us from our guild went into eLoL (a Tank, DPS and Me as Healer) - it was our third or fourth run in there but the first one without 100% guildies (the other two DPS left to make dinner). So we get two randoms that happen to be in the same guild. One is a strong SW the other a fresh new 70 CW.

We make it to Lostmauth and he lands and the CW is dead. Then Lostmauth goes bonkers. Its like he was secretly buffed. We run this dungeon every night and last night between the lag (fireballs had no fire on them and I couldn't see AOE's) people randomly dropping dead and rocks appearing on their dead bodies, and the 4 manning it because the CW was always insta-dead It was a nightmare. We wiped 3 times, the CW always first and most of the wipes came from trying to pick the CW up, then pick up the person who went to pick the CW up. So our DPS looks at the scoreboard - the CW had done less than a million damage - that's less than the healer and less than the tank. Now the SW that was there was doing fine, rivaling our own DPS guy. The two of them leave after the third wipe. We get two randoms in with average gear score (2100ish) - they actually do damage - we make it through with no issues on the first try with them.

If you are a new lv 70 DPS and you aren't in the top three on damage then you are the weak link in the dungeon. I did over 23mil in healing in that dungeon and was 4th in DPS... we shouldn't have been there long enough for me to GET 23 mil healing. Part of getting through the dungeons is having the DPS to take down the baddies fast enough that you aren't dancing in the AOE's and Fireballs, and Lava, and sonic roar, and fire breath and laser beam eyes. It doesn't matter how strong the rest of the crew is, a group can only hold up so long to that before the juggling begins and you find yourself ping ponged 30 feet out into the lava.

I guess it was amazing to me how just one week DPS brought the whole thing down so quickly. Looking back we shouldn't have tried to pick him up, that was what caused the carnage.

This weekend, Saturday morning to be exact, I ran Malborg, LoL and Valendra.

All three I was...1st or 2nd in damage, 1st or 2nd in damage in and over 20 million in healing.

Tanks were not doing anything to gain threat. DPS were horrible. Players ignored red AoE attack. I gave all three dungeons 3 attempts and left.

I jumped on my tank and ran the same three instances. This time around I was 1st in damage, 1st in damage in, and 1st in heals in all three runs. All three runs we had a healer, myself as a tank, and 3 DPS. I adjusted my mount power and companion to ensure I can tank along with encounters.

So 6 dungeons attempts and I end up in the top area of all categories and simply gave up running dungeons.

This is why I don't run dungeons. Even the master dungeons where you need an IL 2K players still don't pull their weight.

I simply don't like wasting my time and that is exactly what happened this weekend. Around 7 hours of my time wasted and you know what I didn't finish a single dungeon. Got to the last boss but never finished any of them. It is why I'm sitting on around 200 epic dungeon keys on two characters.
  • Options
    I hear ya - I generally won't PUG the anything above Kessels/ SOT. My friends and I will pick up randoms but generally there are at least 3 of us in a group when we do that and we try to make sure we have Tank/DPS/Healer when we do that so that we at least have our bases covered.

Come to think of it - there were a lot of terrible DPS this weekend.

• Options
    ravenskya said:

Come to think of it - there were a lot of terrible DPS this weekend.

Well, if ya ever need a PUG dps... I know people hate on HR's but I can CC the hell out of stuff, I think my damage is really nice and I constantly pass dodge buffs to people. frenzal@ares0226 in game. That goes for anyone, I guess. I have no friends and have yet to meet anyone in game with similar goals.

• Options
    We have nothing against any characters in this game - since most of us have one of each. I think the only people who hate on HR are PVPers who get mad about being rooted.

• Options
    critshot1234#3954 critshot1234 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I started the game with friends but I find myself pugging most trivial things like elol I just post in LFG and your quickly invited into a group and if your good these people will want to run with you more and more and you soon gather people who you become friends with and do dungeons together and you eventually end up joining that guild or they join yours.

Its just putting yourself out there and am a pally tank which isn't preferred due to the GF into the fray but I still get many CN and elol runs just from LFG

On a side note I joined a complete pug run yesterday of Castle Never and we did a 15 min run I've never seen orcus melt so fast he didn't even manage to get the first phase done so they is some very good players in LFG
    Mr Doofa [PS4]
    4,300 Tankadin
  • Options
    drbubbles#2158 drbubbles Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    I did this last night with a random group I found using the group finder queue. The tank was instantly killed by the scorpion. Our hunter ranger ended up tanking one of the scorpions while the rest of us took out the other one. It was crazy to watch. We beat the dragon at the end on the second try though. It was my first time running it with my DC.
  • Options
    allmightymunky#3943 allmightymunky Member Posts: 93 Arc User

I started the game with friends but I find myself pugging most trivial things like elol I just post in LFG and your quickly invited into a group and if your good these people will want to run with you more and more and you soon gather people who you become friends with and do dungeons together and you eventually end up joining that guild or they join yours.

Its just putting yourself out there and am a pally tank which isn't preferred due to the GF into the fray but I still get many CN and elol runs just from LFG

On a side note I joined a complete pug run yesterday of Castle Never and we did a 15 min run I've never seen orcus melt so fast he didn't even manage to get the first phase done so they is some very good players in LFG

You will get that from time to time. Sometimes a group of 3 or 4 decent players cannot find a 5th so they join the que with almost a full party. I have gotten lucky twice in random que with this. I usually don't random que anymore though.