test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] FBI & DC playstyle

rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
edited September 2016 in The Temple
That's something that takes me busy for a while when FBI was unlocked and I joined the first groups running it.

If you have a steady group of mates, the job may be easier but when the composition of the group changes everytime, the task that a DC must fulfil is tricky because it's expected that you have to adapt your playstyle to the group and not the opposite.
Many players expect that the DC does everything: heal, buff, debuff, mitigate, protect and in the extreme cases tank and dps. While at high IL it's possible to have all of them to some extent, it quite difficult to have them at the same time in one rotation.

Here I would like to read your good and/or bad experiences, starting from mine. I will focus mainly on the defensive/mitigation side of the story while the offensive part may be object of discussion elsewhere.

As a righteous AC DC, I've tested two different approaches:

1st approach: I play as usual, I don't care less about the composition of the group.
At will: BoB + AS
Encounter: DG + CL + BtS
Daily: AA (no or limited space for HG).
Passive: HF + DF

It's a mix of mitigation, buff/debuff and, at high power, strong heals: it works very well when an OP prot is in. The idea is to cast AA as fast as I can which provide a good mitigation and a lower amounts of heals. Imo the combination of AA + OP bubble is very effective even if you have a low EF resistance: the Ancient Warding feat + GoF + high AP gain+ Artificer's Persuasion help the OP to recharge Divine Protector faster.
Generally speaking, that works very well from the first boss and beyond: it's very situational against the giants in the first part and sometimes the drama was on stage. I met some GFs not tanky enough and they should be supported in a different way.
Here an example of a conversation:
GF: "I need heals and AS"
DC: "I need a tank"
GF:"KITTEN, KITTEN, KITTEN"
DC:"KITTEN, KITTEN, KITTEN"
LOL

2nd approach: adaptative playstyle.

Climb through the giants hordes:
Encounter: AS + DG/HW + BtS

From the first boss and beyond:
Daily: AA (no or limited space for HG)

This is something I'm forced to use when the group looks like DC+GF+ 3x DPS.
The idea is to better support the tank, increase his DR and survivability, in particular before the first boss.
The drawback is given by the slower AP regeneration and slower buff generation rate: the GF is better protected, but the overall efficiency of the group decreases. At the first boss I usually go back to approach nr. 1

Few words about heals: in my experience if the group knows how to do, they are not so needed, just for emergency. I always have an eye on the HP bars of the group to target DG or AS where they are needed more. Finally at least one point on the cleanse feat helps a lot.

Oltreverso guild leader
Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
Post edited by rapo973 on

Comments

• Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    lol, i haven't bothered to enter FBI yet. I got enough to do outside of it and since i only run a few dungeons a week its not really an investment i care to make at the moment
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    The main problem I have in FBI as a DC is with people running with less than 6k lifesteal. I can heal, sure, but then it means that I somehow have to find room for heals in my rotation. It's not that heals are not needed. They are. But dps players have access to so much self healing abilities (mount bonus insignias, lifesteal, boons) that healing is absolutely not required at all for those who build their characters properly. Lifesteal is probably the worst offender. It's so powerful and so easy to access in large amounts with the guild boons that it completely killed our faithful and virtuous paths. Tank immunity spells and self healing abilities aren't any better on that matter.

By the way, GFs should already be near the DR cap if they're using bonding runestones. The ones that get into trouble are the ones who use an augment or nothing at all. I also know at least one GF who doesn't die to giants even when I'm going full buffs with my divine oracle cleric, so this is definitely possible.
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    On preview I ran as Faithful + some virtuous while doing FBI. On live I've recently given up the virtuous ghost and gone righteous with 15 points in virtuous. :/ I haven't bothered to unlock FBI since I find it completely a waste of my time for things I don't need but I agree with diogene0's points.

Lifesteal is absolutely needed for pretty much any damage dealing class- GFs are no exception. There is no way to heal the one shot but if players build well balanced characters with Offense and Defense in mind there is no reason why they can't be fine in any content with minimal healing.

I use BoB + AS at wills
    BTS/DG and then the 3rd depends on what i have in the party. I still run AS sometimes if I'm running with Melee DPS or have a suicidal melee wizard in the group. ;P I've had to adjust my placement somewhat to focus AS on the dps rather than the tank for buffing purposes since the DR cap is enough in terms of self buffing from bonding stones. Problem seems to be in FBI is that no one can stand still long enough for AS to do much good generally speaking. I have taken to switching AS for Bastion if someone is particularly squishy for clutch healing purposes only in divinity.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    edited September 2016

On preview I ran as Faithful + some virtuous while doing FBI. On live I've recently given up the virtuous ghost and gone righteous with 15 points in virtuous. :/ I haven't bothered to unlock FBI since I find it completely a waste of my time for things I don't need but I agree with diogene0's points.

Lifesteal is absolutely needed for pretty much any damage dealing class- GFs are no exception. There is no way to heal the one shot but if players build well balanced characters with Offense and Defense in mind there is no reason why they can't be fine in any content with minimal healing.

I use BoB + AS at wills
    BTS/DG and then the 3rd depends on what i have in the party. I still run AS sometimes if I'm running with Melee DPS or have a suicidal melee wizard in the group. ;P I've had to adjust my placement somewhat to focus AS on the dps rather than the tank for buffing purposes since the DR cap is enough in terms of self buffing from bonding stones. Problem seems to be in FBI is that no one can stand still long enough for AS to do much good generally speaking. I have taken to switching AS for Bastion if someone is particularly squishy for clutch healing purposes only in divinity.

AS is completely irrelevant where it would be useful in FBI, and where it works it's almost useless. giants hit for 300-400k, bears for quite a lot too, so it would at the very least take HG+AS to maybe hope you can save a dps from a giant's hit. Maybe. If it doesn't crit and if the team has some damage reduction for foes somehow. In boss fights it's not useful at all given how strong lifesteal is, unless you're running with a HV CW with 50k hit points but then there's no point in bringing HV if the DC has to mess up his own buff rotation, so it's better to let the CW deal with it.

There's actually one place in which shield is relevant, it's the cave with trolls. This is a CC check, not all CWs master it, and trolls don't one shot, but do quite significant sustained damage. That, ironically, makes the cave significantly more challenging than many other parts of the instance, as heavy sustained damage is the only way to make lifesteal self healing irrelevant. AS helps the team overcoming that challenge and it's not slowing down a team in any way, as unlocking the next part of the dungeon is only a matter of waiting for a timer.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    rapo973 said:

That's something that takes me busy for a while when FBI was unlocked and I joined the first groups running it.

If you have a steady group of mates, the job may be easier but when the composition of the group changes everytime, the task that a DC must fulfil is tricky because it's expected that you have to adapt your playstyle to the group and not the opposite.
    Many players expect that the DC does everything: heal, buff, debuff, mitigate, protect and in the extreme cases tank and dps. While at high IL it's possible to have all of them to some extent, it quite difficult to have them at the same time in one rotation.

Here I would like to read your good and/or bad experiences, starting from mine. I will focus mainly on the defensive/mitigation side of the story while the offensive part may be object of discussion elsewhere.

As a righteous AC DC, I've tested two different approaches:

1st approach: I play as usual, I don't care less about the composition of the group.

It's a mix of mitigation, buff/debuff and, at high power, strong heals: it works very well when an OP prot is in. The idea is to cast AA as fast as I can which provide a good mitigation and a lower amounts of heals. Imo the combination of AA + OP bubble is very effective even if you have a low EF resistance: the Ancient Warding feat + GoF + high AP gain+ Artificer's Persuasion help the OP to recharge Divine Protector faster.
    Generally speaking, that works very well from the first boss and beyond: it's very situational against the giants in the first part and sometimes the drama was on stage. I met some GFs not tanky enough and they should be supported in a different way.
    Here an example of a conversation:
    GF: "I need heals and AS"
    DC: "I need a tank"
    GF:"KITTEN, KITTEN, KITTEN"
    DC:"KITTEN, KITTEN, KITTEN"
    LOL

2nd approach: adaptative playstyle.

Climb through the giants hordes:
    Encounter: AS + DG/HW + BtS

From the first boss and beyond:
    Daily: AA (no or limited space for HG)

This is something I'm forced to use when the group looks like DC+GF+ 3x DPS.
    The idea is to better support the tank, increase his DR and survivability, in particular before the first boss.
    The drawback is given by the slower AP regeneration and slower buff generation rate: the GF is better protected, but the overall efficiency of the group decreases. At the first boss I usually go back to approach nr. 1

Few words about heals: in my experience if the group knows how to do, they are not so needed, just for emergency. I always have an eye on the HP bars of the group to target DG or AS where they are needed more. Finally at least one point on the cleanse feat helps a lot.

WITH divine fortune i dont see any issue to cast an empower shield and then after 2-3 seconds an empower break the spirit. ALSO a guardian fighter contribute to your ap regeneration with into the fray and if is a tactician even more.
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User

WITH divine fortune i dont see any issue to cast an empower shield and then after 2-3 seconds an empower break the spirit. ALSO a guardian fighter contribute to your ap regeneration with into the fray and if is a tactician even more.

I don't see it neither, but it slows down my AP recharge when usually I've the daily ready at the end of each rotation without AS and without the help of any GF.
    I always prefer to cast AA because of the well known benefits instead of casting (emp) AS and without being sure that it works when someone is spanked by some giants and bears.
    While I'm sure that more or less AA does the job, I cannot say the same about AS: AA helps everyone, AS the GF only (or mostly).

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    lerapiso818lerapiso818 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 92 Arc User
    Is it possible to run FBI as a DO ?
  • Options

Is it possible to run FBI as a DO ?

Yes. I'm at about 30 runs as DO on my DC. The tank needs to use some defensive spells instead of commander's strike on giants and GWFs do need to move around mobs not to get one shot but boss fights are much quicker overall.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    rapo973 said:

I don't see it neither, but it slows down my AP recharge when usually I've the daily ready at the end of each rotation without AS and without the help of any GF.
    I always prefer to cast AA because of the well known benefits instead of casting (emp) AS and without being sure that it works when someone is spanked by some giants and bears.
    While I'm sure that more or less AA does the job, I cannot say the same about AS: AA helps everyone, AS the GF only (or mostly).

i never switched to annointed army on my cleric because i find better a daily hallowed ground with longer duration much weaker than annointed army good builds but at least i know all my members will get the buff and even if they get hit they will still haave the buff.
    NOTE also hallowed ground isnt bad your group to have 20% extra damage resistance and i am not talking about tanks i am talking about yourself as dc and the other members.

AND question. hallowed ground is a damage buff annointed army is power buff.IS Hallowed ground so really ground much weaker than a top aa build? hallowed ground mulitply with debuffs so is so much weaker than aa?(based on speed runs the question)

DO not forget also that divine oracle can add power too with weapons of light both paragons can have that.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    its been discussed in other threads, aa may provide more dps than hg depending on your base power and your allies base power. However aa has the advantage of moving with you and the disadvantage of being effected by incoming damage. So a lot goes into it. For me, at 100% crit chance, I simply don't have the power to make aa viable option.
  • Options
    michela123michela123 Member Posts: 257 Arc User

rapo973 said:

i never switched to annointed army on my cleric because i find better a daily hallowed ground with longer duration much weaker than annointed army good builds but at least i know all my members will get the buff and even if they get hit they will still haave the buff.
    NOTE also hallowed ground isnt bad your group to have 20% extra damage resistance and i am not talking about tanks i am talking about yourself as dc and the other members.

AND question. hallowed ground is a damage buff annointed army is power buff.IS Hallowed ground so really ground much weaker than a top aa build? hallowed ground mulitply with debuffs so is so much weaker than aa?(based on speed runs the question)

DO not forget also that divine oracle can add power too with weapons of light both paragons can have that.
    The damage resistance provided by Hallowed Ground is 35% and AA multiplies with debuffs aswell, not only HG. The difference is that AA adds with the existing Power, while HG multiplies.
  • Options
    bvirabvira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 385 Arc User
    I don't find AS (even empowered) useful at all, AA is the only thing keeping ppl alive so I always stick with Chain for perma AA.

I switch out DF for Hastening during 1st and 2nd boss, other than that I stick with the same set-up.

I was DO before and it was harder without AA and there was 1 person who refused to invite me because I couldn't use AA. It's understandable tho coz it does make a significant difference, especially if the tank sucks.
  • Options
    polaris1986polaris1986 Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Any resultes for killing 2nd boss fastly? because it's veery long. we fight it for 10 minutes maybe with OP and 3 DD 3.5-4k.

What DR it has?

I use FF for debuff but seems it haven't any profit.
    "sometimes the world doesn't need another hero, sometimes what it needs is a monster"

• Options

Any resultes for killing 2nd boss fastly? because it's veery long. we fight it for 10 minutes maybe with OP and 3 DD 3.5-4k.

What DR it has?

I use FF for debuff but seems it haven't any profit.

You should be using empowered break the spirit, divine glow and hallowed ground. Empowered FF is only a 15% damage buff, that won't contribute much to the kill itself. However, a 10 minutes fight indicates that the issue isn't buffs only. Even without buffs, decent dps players could most likely kill it in under 4 minutes (not counting extended phase changes). I've found on so called "elite" channels 4k+ GWFs doing about twice my damage as a buffer. Don't get me wrong, there are some great players too, but even if you don't buff at all it shouldn't take 10 minutes in the first place.