test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PS4]Armor Pen v's Recovery

shontsushontsu Member Posts: 99 Arc User
Pretty much all the guides recommend stacking recovery so that you can case ITF as much as possible, but then in other discussions or as an aside in a guide I'll read that we want 40% (or better) resistance ignored to do more damage and hold threat. I've got largely protection (tank like a rockstar build) as my primary goal is to effectively tank dungeons for the guild, and I accept that solo killing will be kind of slow. I haven't noticed any threat problems yet, but DPS are continuing to do more and more damage so it might be coming.
I'm at 2660 IL (all purple gear with lvl 8-9 enchants), been working on boons but started late, so have 2-3 from most campaigns (except icewind dale/maze engine) and finished EE.

I have 6.2k recovery (33% recharge), and only 1.4k AP (21% RI). It feels like my encounters are coming up fairly quickly. Should I be looking to move some recovery into AP? Swap some enchants out? Are there numbers/caps I should be aiming for?

Comments

• Options
    drackonautdrackonaut Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    If you can raise your AP without sacrificing Recovery that might be best. I'm no expert but thats my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Not really, most of my recovery is from enchants. I guess I can check if I can swap out any armor, but it'd only be a moderate amount if possible.
  • Options
    oliboypholiboyph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 627 Arc User
    Here's the issue with going arm pen for your offense stats. As a tank you are rarely attacking. Your best source of threat is still going to be Knight's Valor and Enforced Threat, which is why you'll want recovery. Better cooldowns for ITF and Enforced threat, and faster AP recharging for activating your Steel Defense if you are SM.

If you spend most of your time attacking rather than pulling mobs with your guard up, I guess Arm Pen would be better.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    sargas9876sargas9876 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Well pvp vs over essentially. If you aren't soloing most content or pvp'ing I would argue pen takes a back seat.
  • Options
    I can change a couple pieces of dusk for elven swapping power for AP one for one. I dunno, not even sure I need it. Maybe I'll wait and see if threat becomes an actual issue. I don't PvP and probably dailies I do about 2/3 solo and group sometimes.
    Thanks for answers.
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    The 130 alliance gear has better overall stat distribution than the later 135+ gear. I believe if u run Malborg castle you can get the 132 alliance gear which is the same as the 130 but with higher stats.

Right now I am soloing all content and plan to until I get all of my boons done. So for me armor pen and recovery are both equally important. I am going to ai for 30% RI and once I achieve that score I will go with more recovery.

You may want to check out some other enchantments to see if you can get both.
  • Options
    I think Savage is a mix of both, but at this point I figure it's probably easier to just have one of Silver and one of Dark rather than two savage.
    I just got the shadow demon pet, and leaning his stats towards armor pen so that when companions gift procs I get a nice boost. That seems to be working out so far.
  • Options
    shontsu said:

I think Savage is a mix of both, but at this point I figure it's probably easier to just have one of Silver and one of Dark rather than two savage.
    I just got the shadow demon pet, and leaning his stats towards armor pen so that when companions gift procs I get a nice boost. That seems to be working out so far.

I'm not too sure why you are going with both recovery and arm pen. If you go for arm pen it's best to get as close to 60% damage ignored. But if you want recovery, you should go ahead and stack as much of it as possible.
    "As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann[/quote]
  • Options
    I'm mostly going recovery, just picking up Armor Pen when I can. All my offense ench slots are still Silver, all my armor has recovery if there was a choice between the two, but for instance I swapped my dusk gaunts for elven to raise ArmP v's Power.
    Looking through, only thing I could see where I chose ArmP over recovery was a personalised necklace of piercing for my companion where I could have gone recovery. I don't have a sword knot for him yet, but not having any luck finding recovery on that.

I dunno, feels like I spend more time attacking than you expect from a tank. Maybe because I had stamina/guard issues when I first got into it and kept losing guard at the worst times so have gotten to the point where I switch in and out a fair bit.

It's hard to tell what affects the changes have. I've definately had a big damage increase v's guild dragons in the last week or two, but I've also had some good jumps in defense to ITF in the same period.

Is there any kind of cap on recovery, or is it simply the more the better?
  • Options
    stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    If you want AP, try the companion Loyal avenger equip, 2 pieces give 1k AP, and if you concentrate on Dex more, you'll get AP from that also. If you have a few bondings, that 1k multiplies.
  • Options
    Where did you hear that? Loyal avenger gives you power, arm pen and crit. Dex for GF only gives arm penn, deflect and AoE resist. AP recharge comes from Con, not Dex.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    shontsu said:

I'm mostly going recovery, just picking up Armor Pen when I can. All my offense ench slots are still Silver, all my armor has recovery if there was a choice between the two, but for instance I swapped my dusk gaunts for elven to raise ArmP v's Power.
    Looking through, only thing I could see where I chose ArmP over recovery was a personalised necklace of piercing for my companion where I could have gone recovery. I don't have a sword knot for him yet, but not having any luck finding recovery on that.

I dunno, feels like I spend more time attacking than you expect from a tank. Maybe because I had stamina/guard issues when I first got into it and kept losing guard at the worst times so have gotten to the point where I switch in and out a fair bit.

It's hard to tell what affects the changes have. I've definately had a big damage increase v's guild dragons in the last week or two, but I've also had some good jumps in defense to ITF in the same period.

Is there any kind of cap on recovery, or is it simply the more the better?

The Draconic Enchantment is the only one with both Recovery and Armor Pen. It is more focused on Armor Pen than recovery.

If you mix and match Draconic with Silvery you may get a decent amount of both.

I decided to build my GF more as a DPS but with the ability to tank as I mainly plan to play that character solo. Therefore I will be focusing more on AP but still want recovery and I plan to get level 12 Draconic enchantemnts eventually. I have three level 8 and will get more as I get AD to buy them.
  • Options
    stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    Sorry, was tired, thought it was armor pen, not action point gain.
  • Options
    stark760 said:

Sorry, was tired, thought it was armor pen, not action point gain.

Oh, lol, calling Arm Pen AP is going to be confusing.
  • Options
    I don't think we have the companion loyalty gear on PS4 atm. Ahh, draconic, not Savage, makes sense. I'm feeling fairly happy with my damage atm so will focus back on recovery for now, but maybe as I get my enchants higher I might play around a bit again.
  • Options
    hawkblaze1954#5209 hawkblaze1954 Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Ideally you should have 40% Arm Pen. The majority can be from the Guild Boon, build to recovery and power with Artifacts, armour and mount power and a companion with bonding runestones defensive slots with accessories in power/recovery. A great bargain companion would be the epic Apprentice healer (currently on Xbox AH at 50K)
    Soloing i would change the mount power from recovery to Arp Pen, and you should be doing 50-75% more damage.

If you can upload a screenshot of your character then we can provide better suited advice :)

• Options
    I gotta figure out how to get a screenshot from PS4 onto here.

I think the guild boons are a big thing. We don't have them yet (they're ingame, but very few guilds have unlocked them), so whenever I read up on what stat's we should have, I'm far away from any of them. Heck, even my DR only peaks at around 50% despite defence being my nbr 1 focus. I use the +2k defence mount power.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    See if this works. This is just standing around PE. 2800 IL, no guild boons yet.

• Options
    edited September 2016

2800IL, no guild boons, just standing around PE.
  • Options
    abmaiden95abmaiden95 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    You have to raise your arm pen up to 45%~ this will help you to keep aggro better because 100 arp = 1%dmg (other stats like power are 400=1%)so i would suggest you to sacrifice a bit of your recovery...... but how can you reach 100% DEFLECT severity??!!!
  • Options
    I just assumed that's what it was. I checked, I have a buff that increases it 1,000,000%. Unless somethings bugged, or that's not how it is on other consoles, then I'd assume it's something they did on PS4, maybe to help out.
  • Options
    abmaiden95abmaiden95 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Your deflection severity should be 50%, having 100% means that everytime you deflect an attack you completely absorb it
  • Options
    One option here that I don't see anyone stating is changing up his allocation of ability points and going more with DEX and less with CON with your stats is a way to raise your RI.

I decided to go tank with my feats but my ability score I got all three in the 20+ range. Yeah I lose some HP but I gain some additional resistance to AoE damage and DoT. At level 70 my abilities scores without campfire bonus and without any gear bonus will be STR 21, DEX 21, CON 22, INT 12, WIS 12, and CHA 12.

Higher DEX gives you higher RI and deflection.
    Higher STR gives you higher damage and stamina.

I have a base of 11% RI, damage bonus, guard meter, and damage resistance for DoT and AoE. I also have 5.5% deflection.

As for HP I have 48% bonus and 12% increase in my AP gained.

I did some tweaking with both my characters and $25 later I have both headed in the right direction.

My main was a Dragonborn cleric and I can tell you this right now, a 3% increase in power is not worth it. My overall power is 100 lower now. My crit chance is 3% lower, but I crit just as often. A better race for DC are Drow due to the 10% debuff you place on enemies and having AoE attacks increases my chances to debuff more adds with the abilities I use.

As for my halfing I was building her originally as a DPS but did some how work and now is focusing her as a tank.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    shontsu said:

2800IL, no guild boons, just standing around PE.

You need to check the type of gears you have. I'd expect GFs at 2.8k to hit 80% DR even without guild boons.

I don't know when getting arm pen as a tank suddenly became a thing, but it's not going to be effective if you are going to be tanking difficult content. The only way to make that stat effective is if you are always hitting mobs. I'ts correct if you are going the conqueror route and are one of those GFs that don't like using KV.

Anyway the main reason for prioritizing recovery is to reduce the cooldown of you skills. Aim for 0 time gaps on our ITF and a quick reactivation of KV if it ever gets cancelled by CC. Not to mention that frequently spamming Enforced threat keeps all the adds marked.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, defence is a whole other issue. I have 3 piece dusk and 1 (arms) elven. I have the +defence armor kits, every defence slot has at least rank 8 azure (corrected, said silver intially but they're in offence) ench. Using the elemental fire weapon/shield set (at epic). I have full EE boons, 3 sharandar, 4 dread ring, 1 maze engine. I think 1 maybe 2 from ToD, any that can be put into defence were (and any other defensive stat got priority other than regen). I use the +2k defence mount power.

Rings are personalised recovery rings. Neck is still the cloak you get at 70. Belt is the lathandar belt to epic. Long term goal is to wear the lathandar set. For now artifacts are Lantern, GF Sigil, Bruenors Helm, and Waters all at epic (basically all my gear is purple)

Other than more boons and higher item level I don't know where the rest is supposed to come from. My companions aren't particularly gears/levelled (I got my shadow demon to purple but the rest are green and not many runestones on them). I guess concentrating on them with some of those normal share stat runestones could help. I figured I was better off spending my AD on myself rather than them though.
    Post edited by shontsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I see, i think what's missing for you is getting your artifacts with defense to mythic and having an augment companion or bonding runestones.
  • Options
    Ok, yeah I did the maths on getting my artifacts to mythic yesterday. I think it'll cost around 6M AD (inc cost of buying feeder artifacts). I did get a portal hound the other day, getting him equipment and bonding stones will help, but that's not cheap either.
    Thanks, I'll work on it :).
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    It will be cheaper to go with an augment companion for the mean time. You shave the cost of upgrading to mythic if you do it during x2 rp event.
  • Options
    Yeah, that was planning on waiting for 2xRP. Nothings cheap on PS4 at the moment.
    I'll look into augment companions. Greater bonding stones (50% ones) are 300k atm, so I'd be looking at 1.65M just to get hound to epic and bonding, without starting on gear for him. Might combine buying Watler with grinding for the Portebello campaign and the power artifact at the end of it, since the cheapest power artifact I could use as a feeder is 1.2M atm, but I hate that campaign :p
  • Options
    wabber#5907 wabber Member Posts: 41 Arc User

but how can you reach 100% DEFLECT severity??!!!

that would be shadow demon buff, once every 30 secs, or 20 secs with underdark bonus