test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introduction to The Module - Storm King's Thunder

ichimaruginxichimaruginx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 230 Arc User
edited August 2016 in General Discussion (PC)
Greetings!

This is a summary of Module 10: Storm King's Thunder! Most of these information are either from the dev's posts in Arc News itself or from the preview server. DISCLAIMATION: Any info from the preview server is SUBJECTED to change if Cryptic wishes so!

Introducing The Storm King's Thunder Module

Another module is upon us! This time we bring Thor - um wait nope - I mean the Storm King himself which will rain Thunder on the lands of Forgotten Realms! To spare us the dilly dallyings of multiple posts from the Devs, this will be a thread which summarizes most of the info about this upcoming module.

Date of Launch: 16th August

3 New Zones!

These new adventure zones requires the players to be at least Level 70 and the Devs have recommended for lower geared ones to bring a friend or two when exploring!

Zone 1: Bryn Shander

This is the hub of Ten-Towns which will serve as the starting point for adventurers in this campaign. A weather system has been implemented for Bryn Shander - sometimes it will be lightly snowing, while other times there will be a raging blizzard. Civilians will run inside their houses and new enemies will appear in certain places during the blizzard. Veterans find that lowering your ingame graphics help to see through the blizzard better. You can find various yetis, crag cats and arctic creatures here.

Zone 2: The Lonelywood

As the name implies - it is a small town surrounded by a lush woodland - and of course various monsters that might imply trolls and certain animated scarecrows. I do hope this won't bring any nightmares!

Zone 3: Cold Run

Cold Run on the other hand, is a harsh strip of coastline at the Northern end of Icewind Dale where the frost giants made their initial landfall in their quest to obtain the Ring of Winter. Beware of those giants as they are rumored to be more ouchy than those found in IWD!

New Dungeon: Fangbreaker Island

Fangbreaker Island, also known as FBI (Lol!) is a 5-man dungeon with a minimum requirement of whooping 3.1k TIL! It is rumored to be the hardest dungeon currently ingame and would need an average of 2-3hrs to complete it, depending on the team's prowess and gear. However, to unlock the dungeon, players must first progress far enough in the Storm King's Thunder campaign.

FBI is made up of 4 areas - “The Ascent”, “Harshwind Hold”, “Frozen Bay” and “Chilling Tunnels”, each having their own minimaps. It has 3 bosses - Dragon Turtle, Drufi and Manticore. There, you can obtain the new currency to purchase the new armor set along side other trinkets.

The Storm King's Thunder Campaign

The campaign is broken into three parts. Each part unlocks a new zone and focus on a different area of the region. Each zone contains a campaign task that unlocks options useful items in the campaign store and a repeatable task to help rebuild the town and help the people of the region. Helping the people of Lonelywood and Bryn Shander get back on their feet improves the campaign store and gives you access to new items.

After clearing the 3rd Zone, you will be able to unlock the much anticipated Fangbreaker Island! Naturally, with campaigns, you get more boons! There are 5 Tiers of Boons to be earned, details will be discussed in a later post.

Environmental Damage Mechanism: Ostorian Relics!

With the magical cold being generated by the Ring of Winter, players will need to find ancient components, called Ostorian Relics, to protect from the bitter freeze. These lost elements from the ancient giant civilization might just be the thing that keeps you alive to reclaim the Ring of Winter. They can be exchanged into Voninblod which is used to purchase various campaign items, Everfrost potions and most importantly, for the upkeep of your new armors!

New Login Screen

Finally, after 9 modules of staring at the same brown screen - we get a new login and character selection screen! It's looking waaay cooler than the previous one and is freezing to boot!

Mod edited out references and links to banned website.
Post edited by kreatyve on

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2016

Storm King's Thunder Campaign Details

How To Start?

To start the campaign, speak to Stg. Knoxx and he will offer you a quest: Festival of Bryn Shander

The Campaign Currencies

There's a total of 4 Campaign Currencies - A Reputation type (much like the one in Icewind Dale Campaign), 2 types earned by completing dailies and weeklies and 1 type that is obtained from Heroic Encounters (similar to Faerzess)

The Campaign Store

As of now, only 5 items are shown in the campaign shop - more might be added later or on launch. Both Borax and Dragon Shell Oil are items required for Relic Restoration which is a task to obtain the new Armor sets. Archaeologist's Trowel can be used to increase chances of finding Ostorian Relics. Both types of potions provide Everfrost Resist to help reduce the environmental damage inflicted upon players but the Uncommon version also gives a slight increase in chances to find relics.

The Boons

There are 5 tiers of the boons - But most aren't very appealing or significant. The best out of them is "Chill Determination" which gives up to 2k recovery based on missing Guard/Stamina. This could synergies well with Cold Resolve (2k Power based on missing Guard/Stamina) from Icewind Dale Campaign.

Below are the listed boons:

Post edited by ichimaruginx on
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Armor Sets

Disclaimation: All the Equipment Examples shown below are of Devoted Clerics as I do not have access nor the time to compile from every class. The Set Bonuses, however, should be the same for ALL classes.

All PvE Armors will require Item Empowerment similar to their Black Ice sisters from IWD. On a more positive note, the PvP Sets do NOT require constant upkeep though.

PvE Equipments (non-Tradebar)

There's 2 sets of non-Tradebar PvE Equipments - Both obtainable via Relic Restoration (based on the current preview info). I couldn't find out what Relic Restoration is as of now.

PvP Equipments (non-Tradebar)

There are also 2 sets non-Tradebar of PvP Equipments - Obtainable from Trades of Blades Epic Outfitter using Glory and Seals of Triumph.

Tradebars Equipments: PvE & PvP

There also 2 PvE and 2 PvP sets buyable through the Tradebar Store! No more nightmare PvEing or PvPing for either type of players! But only the Body and the Boots are buyable there, the Helm and Arms(Which I have not included) should be either from Zen Store or dropping from lockboxes. Both PvE and PvP Tradebar Sets have different Set Bonus than their non-Tradebar counterparts.

PvE Tradebar Set:

PvP Tradebar Set:

Shirts and Pants

A set of new SKT-based shirt and pants are also introduced.

• Options
    edited August 2016

New Artifact, Companion and Mounts

The new artifact - Manticore Talon, seems to drop from Heroic Encounters in Bryn Shander but I have not confirm it. However, no Artifact sets are seen (No new Artifact Neck/Belt), that might change at a later date. Whereas the companion Remorhaz can be bought from Zen Store and the mount, Manticore (Legendary and (Epic) comes from the upcoming lockbox and tradebar store respectively.

Miscellaneous

These are some other stuff I've spotted on preview server: Including new potion that heals for 25k HP, a "Possibly" Useful ring (As @zibadawa had stated, it could be use for Quartermaster enchantment and might be useful for alts too IF it's BoA or BoE), New Armor Kit, enchantment and food.

That's all I could glean from Preview Server, hope you guys enjoyed the read! And thanks for dropping by! :)

• Options
  • Options
    arabaturarabatur Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 778 Arc User
    Black Ice 2.0 :(
    Definitely not an Arc User.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    me either, araba, just another grinding harvesting ice v2.0
  • Options
    arabatur said:

Black Ice 2.0 :(

Exactly. Though the new PvE sets will only be needed for the FBI dungeon, and not really for the rest of the game.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    A little confounded that they did not bring Black Ice back itself, in one form or another. What with runic hammerstones to sell and all.... Oh, I guess we already bought those.
  • Options
    rapo973rapo973 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 831 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Thank you for the post: very good job.
    Indeed it's a reworked versions of the old IWD structure.
    Joke:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50A9wjJ40Dk

Oltreverso guild leader
    Maga Othelma - DC | Svalvolo - SW | Dente Avvelenato- GWF
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Note that that useless ring says there's no item level requirement on it, and is double slotted (granted, one of those is a utility slot, but that's one more farming enchantment you can throw in if you need RP; this is potentially extremely good for getting the best enchants out of Quartermaster bag openings, depending on how expensive the rings will be).
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Thanks for the collation, appreciated.
  • Options

A little confounded that they did not bring Black Ice back itself, in one form or another. What with runic hammerstones to sell and all.... Oh, I guess we already bought those.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have some Runic Shovels up for sale soon :scream:
    rapo973 said:

Thank you for the post: very good job.
    Indeed it's a reworked versions of the old IWD structure.
    Joke:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50A9wjJ40Dk

zibadawa said:

Note that that useless ring says there's no item level requirement on it, and is double slotted (granted, one of those is a utility slot, but that's one more farming enchantment you can throw in if you need RP; this is potentially extremely good for getting the best enchants out of Quartermaster bag openings, depending on how expensive the rings will be).

Thanks for the insight! I didn't thought of that actually. I do hope that the ring is BoA or BoE in that case, else it wouldn't be much of use except swapping on for Quartermaster. I couldn't check whether it's BoC/A/E as I got it from the Preview debugged packs and not directly from any drops. Changed the "Useless ring" to "Possibly-Useful ring" xD
    lantern22 said:

Thanks for the collation, appreciated.

:)