What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Alternative to guilds

2»

Comments

• Options
    thedramacusthedramacus Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    You can run all your influence for a week in one day. Just open 5 heroic completes a day and they will have influence the days after, when you open them. But its very annoying if your trying to do any other heroic encounters.
    Dramacus 3.1 SW, Raven 2.9 HR, Aurora Shadowbain 2.7 GF, Mirduatas Vras 2.5 DC
    Si Vis Pacem 2.5 DC, Jade Shadowbain 2.4 CW, Para Bellum 1.5 GWF, President Not Sure lvl 69 OP
    Faith Shadowbain lvl 69 DC, Toof Fairy lvl 68 GWF, Arnie Shadowbain lvl 63 GF

Your Credit Card Has Been Declined
  • Options
    stercesderisedstercesderised Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    zephyriah said:

Or, just start your own guild and run it they way you like.

This.

Or let me guess, you want the boons, amirite?
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User
    destrowod said:

I don't understand your reasoning peoples, so the house is to be done solo, then it should take as long as a guild? WTF lol

The guild is made in mind to have 150 GT, the house would for one. So everything should be scaled to 1/15 and still give the same benefit.

I don't disagree with the overall idea. I disagree with the perks. If it's 1/4 the resources than it should be 1/4 the rewards. A guild boon take HAMSTER amount of something to attain it. You randomly say 150 people but most guild don't have 150 people.

If he wants a boon to cost 1/15 of what a boon costs a full guild then it should reward him with 1/15 of that boon. So instead of 4k power, he can have 266 power.
  • Options
    manyvengeancemanyvengeance Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    A little personal house sounds awesome tbh and I think it should give the same boons as the SH, even if it costs less. Idk if you guys have tried having a whole SH for yourselves but the amount of stuff you need is ridiculous, I remember I wasted like a month donating everything I came across back when Mod 7 came out, and I didn't get far.

The SH isn't meant to be solo, even if you have 30 ppl in your guild, its WAY better than to be alone. So... how long it would take for 100 ppl to get to GH20? Now, if it costs 1/4, would be the same time to get to GH20 but with 25 ppl. You would be doing this by yourself! D:
  • Options
    speedokillzspeedokillz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    destrowod said:

I don't understand your reasoning peoples, so the house is to be done solo, then it should take as long as a guild? WTF lol

The guild is made in mind to have 150 GT, the house would for one. So everything should be scaled to 1/15 and still give the same benefit. See it this way, if you build solo, you MUST be a pay to win person to go as fast as most guild since said guild usually have pay to wins in leadership etc. If anything im sure the solo free to play players would still go slower than most guild even with the 1/15 scale.

hmmmm, having trouble with math today so hoping you can help....

1 GT in a 150 person guild = 1/15? Trying to reconcile that in my brain, but it doesn't seem to work out.

1/150 = .0067 (ish) while 1/15 = .067 (ish)... so off about 10X?

Anyway, not good at math so hoping for some help
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Cheap point that doesn't address the core of his argument.

On topic: Strongholds are designed to encourage the concept of the guild; to get people playing together for common goals. That's a social target aimed at prolonging the lifespan of the game by encouraging players to build relationships.

The rewards for this are the boons and gear - these are not accidental.

Even if Cryptic were to create individual housing, they would not counter the effectiveness of the guild incentives by giving it boons etc.

I would like to see housing though, even if it's just a copy/paste of one of the existing house interiors. Adding things like extra storage, a trophy wall etc would be great and give it some purpose - and if I could see my other characters walking around that'd be hilarious :smiley:
    Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    Yeah! @armadeonx ...I would be rolling if I was chill in my home, and somebody just walked in looking at my stuff!
  • Options
    agenty0rk#8993 agenty0rk Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    It would be really nice to get away from the dictator like leadership that goes hand in hand with the current guild format.
  • Options
    thejawlivesthejawlives Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    @agenty0rk#8993 I'd say you are in the wrong guild...or maybe im just lucky, but I'm going to go with...

You are in the wrong guild
  • Options
    agenty0rk#8993 agenty0rk Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Regardless of how cool or easy going anyone guild leader is. Guilds still put you in a position where you can no longer play on your own terms.

What if I don't want to play for two weeks cause I'm bored but I don't want to quit the game? I'd lose all the boons I'd worked towards with my guild due to inactivity. And I'm not saying that isn't right. Of course the guild should consist of currently active players due to the demands of building a guild. But it does make the game a chore instead of something I do for fun.

I'm not saying ditch guilds. I'm just saying remove the necessity of them. A guild should just be a group of people you like and like to play with not something you absolutely have to have.

Oh and just so we are all clear here. I realize this is something that will never change. The amount of money and time spent on guilds that would be negated due to the change would no doubt infuriate the gaming population. However, I do hope that game mechanics such as these will be avoided in the future.
    Post edited by agenty0rk#8993 on
  • Options
    zephyriahzephyriah Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,980 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    You are painting all guilds with the same brush and that's just not the case. It's up to you to fix it, if you picked a bad fit for you and not to change the system.

Our guild has no donation requirements and only requires you log in and play once every 14 days, or if you won't be doing so, let the guild leader/officers know by simply making a note in your member comments. Be out longer, update the message again before 14 days are up. No hassle, no issues. However, going to be gone 30 or more days, we will re-invite you as we offer to do for all inactive kicks when they return. There are many guilds with this or a similar philosophy. Sure guilds like this will progress slower, but we will get there in the end whenever that may be.

• Options
    mahburgmahburg Member Posts: 598 Arc User

Regardless of how cool or easy going anyone guild leader is. Guilds still put you in a position where you can no longer play on your own terms.

What if I don't want to play for two weeks cause I'm bored but I don't want to quit the game? I'd lose all the boons I'd worked towards with my guild due to inactivity. And I'm not saying that isn't right. Of course the guild should consist of currently active players due to the demands of building a guild. But it does make the game a chore instead of something I do for fun.

I'm not saying ditch guilds. I'm just saying remove the necessity of them. A guild should just be a group of people you like and like to play with not something you absolutely have to have.

Oh and just so we are all clear here. I realize this is something that will never change. The amount of money and time spent on guilds that would be negated due to the change would no doubt infuriate the gaming population. However, I do hope that game mechanics such as these will be avoided in the future.

We have had (and have) guys who take a break from the game, sensible guild leadership will realise that in an MMO you need to detox occassionally what we do is write to them to ascertain what they are planning and if they confirm they are done then we take them off the list, if just taking a break we leave them alone.
    We have one player who is working away so has not been online for a couple of months, we know this so he is still on the roster, however one also has to realise that after a very long break players will likely not return as they will feel they are too far behind the curve and cant handle the aggro of catching up.

As long as all parties are grown up about the realities then there should not be an issue.
  • Options
    spoomeister#9137 spoomeister Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    The "personal house" idea as an alt to guilds is an interesting one - since the whole game is based on D&D I'd think the model would be similar to how a mid-level character can get a keep and hire henchmen after a certain level. So, call it a Keep, make it available to the a character around say level 35 or so, and in gameplay terms have it work and feel something like a cross between professions and a guild stronghold.

Have a professions-like system for adding and upgrading the various people in the keep (the level of the cleric, travelling wizard, etc. in there, as well as hordes of workers for farming, woodcutting, etc.). Have the ability to move around the shops to buy equip and upgrades same as at a stronghold. People can't join it per se - that's kind of the point of a guild - but you could participate in limited alliances with other guilds / keeps or otherwise have some mechanism for letting people minimally donate resources to your keep.

Heck, you could even make it possible for people to convert an entire keep into one moderately large donation to a guild - something new and funky to do with all those zombie alts you might have around just for picking up extra AD and equipment - work on developing a keep on the side, then 'cash it in' as multiple huge vouchers that you can then donate to a guild.