test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Best companions for HR

bjamesbryant#2782 bjamesbryant Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited July 2016 in The Wilds
Hey guys, starting to get my footing in this game (PS4), and was curious if it was worth it to purchase the boar, hawk, or dog from the Zen Store. Perhaps all three. I just don't want to waste the time and money, if I am going to need better companions later in the game, as my current level is 50. Any advice from you guys would be greatly appreciated! That's in advance.

Comments

• romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Wait until you hit lvl 70. You will need different companions. Air/Fire Archon and shizz like that.
  • bjamesbryant#2782 bjamesbryant Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    @romotheone Thanks for the tip!
    @bjamesbryant#2782 The game is full of noob-traps. Do not spend any money until you fully understand what you are doing.
    @romotheone I hear you, I'm tryin' to dodge these "traps" best as I can. There's just a lot to wrap my head around. Thanks again.
    @bjamesbryant#2782 The forum is full of helpful people, whenever you wanna know something, just ask. Some guys know this game in and out.
  • durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    searching in the forums now sucks balls with the merge. Here are some people with the same questions as you

http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1216796/companions-for-alliance-mod/p1
  • aaramis75aaramis75 Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    Can never go wrong with Archons - especially Fire and Air. Earth is decent if you tend to be at full health often. Water downright sucks.

If Trapper, Slyblade Kobold (Zen purchase) isn't bad.

If you tend to run Pack, then CA companions are good too (Intellect Devourer, Blink Dog, Staldorf). They're getting a slight nerf as of next patch, but are still very viable.

For active companions - the Shadow Demon if you can afford it is currently doing silly dps (and has for a while now). Nobody knows if it'll get nerfed or not, so buyer beware on this one.

There's plenty of other decent ones out there too. Siege Master, Erinyes, Dancing Sword, Bard, etc.
    I'm just listing the ones with the best synergies with HR and which are often used.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    The Fire Archon is also a bit of a trap. It doesn't get the bonuses from any other Archons you happen to have and it's active bonus only kicks in at 50% HP. For boss fights it is decent but for everything else they die too quickly for you to get any real benefit out of the Fire Archon's AB. It does make for a good summoned companion though.

The ones I'm using on my Archer are: Pseudodragon (summoned - 3 offensive slots for Bondings), Air Archon, Earth Archon, Blink Dog and Erinyes. My Combat HR uses Shadow Demon (summoned), Blink Dog, Intellect Devourer, Air Archon and Earth Archon.

The meta has changed quite a bit with Bonding Runestones. Ideally you'll want to avoid companions with stats for active bonuses. They're generally the ones Cryptic give away for free. Augments have also fallen by the wayside. Then there is also the runestone slots to consider - if you want 3 offensive slots there are very limited options. Some of the best companions only have 2 offensive slots and one defensive slot. Attack speed still comes into play if you have Protector's Camaraderie/Friendship insignia bonuses.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips. Looks like I'm gonna need to do some more research, but at least you guys have pointed me in the right direction. This game seems to have a pretty active and supportive community. Rare these days. Thanks again.
  • jhpnwjhpnw Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 611 Arc User
    I just thought of this PS4 companions will be different than PC due to they wont have option of loyal gear only pc has it. so I am guessing that SH companion gear or companions with binding and 3 ring slots for summoned have to be the Meta. So you need to think about what way stats will be applied to your companion for this I would shout out to our Xbox Brethren.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    Google any compantion you're considering in the NW wikia - As of now I have a legendary Shadow Demon summoned, Water and Fire Archons, Staldorf and a Repentant Cultist active. I'd use an earth archon instead of the cultist, but the 8% bonus against dragons is nice nonetheless and just now I don't want to spend the AD to make yet another companion purple. The Shadow Demon isn't as fast as the Zhentarim Warlock or Harper Bard for reliably keeping Companion's Gift up, but it has an ability with no cooldown so you won't miss the difference much.

The wiki will list their abilities, describe what each does and also tell you the cooldowns.
  • mrraccoon#5708 mrraccoon Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    It depends on your build, ultimately.
    I'm really liking Cantankerous Mage for the added control effect duration. But then, as others have suggested, I took time to settle on a build/loadout I plan to use from here on out before making my selection.
    With the change/fix to Combat Advantage companions, I will wait for Mod 10 before deciding on my active ones. May go for Crit Sev instead, maybe even use the Dancing Blade as summoned.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited August 2016
    I had the dancing blade as summoned at legendary the %5 crit sev is nice. His damage out is a lot less than the shadow demons and shadow is fast on the bonding procts and 100% deflect severity so is my summoned now. DB uses 3 sword knots so is limited for Console players no rings but sword knots are much cheaper in Loyal avenger gear by far for pc players . The snake lady cant remember name is 3 offensive and 3 rings slots I would consider as a top contender for consoles til cn get sh Companion 2 slot gear. and rings are far cheaper than 6 rank 12 enchants
    I don't consider Underdark rings being slotted by companions as legit so I refuse to use them. Dancing Blade's main attack has a 1-sec CD so it's not that far off the Demon Demon in attack speed, but no doubting the Shadow Demon hits like a 10-tonne truck. I wish I'd read the Shadow Demon's AB more carefully before I bought it. Only realised afterwards the proc is only once every 20-30 secs and thought initially it worked like Fey Thistle boon. Still my Combat HR makes good use of it.
    Our pain is self chosen.

lirithiel said:

I don't consider Underdark rings being slotted by companions as legit so I refuse to use them. Dancing Blade's main attack has a 1-sec CD so it's not that far off the Demon Demon in attack speed, but no doubting the Shadow Demon hits like a 10-tonne truck. I wish I'd read the Shadow Demon's AB more carefully before I bought it. Only realised afterwards the proc is only once every 20-30 secs and thought initially it worked like Fey Thistle boon. Still my Combat HR makes good use of it.

100 % agree on rings don't think they were intended to do a lot of things that are done with them
  • wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    Until they come out and say "Companions are not supposed to Proc Underdark Rings" they are Legit.

The rings do not say "CANNOT EQUIP ON COMPANIONS" or "Player Only Proc".

Some items in game specifically state Player or Companion only.

In the items that the Stronghold HE's drop they state Companion only etc. The new Underdark Rings do not state Companion or Player only... so unless they come out and say not WAI then I believe they are.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
    As a console player I expect nothing less from you :p
    Our pain is self chosen.

• armwaldarmwald Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

As a console player I expect nothing less from you :p

They merged the thread so is it going to be a PC vs Console kinda thing really????

NA THAT WAS JUST A FUN POKE @ WD Nothing ment by it see the smily

• wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    lol :)

Back on topic... Bonding changes hit the X1 today... testing all my Companions again now... Merc still does not proc the Mount Bonus for extra Power and Defence :(
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • soonergmsoonergm Member Posts: 503 Arc User
    I got a Con-Artist a couple days ago on XB1. Seemed to be working fairly well. I have not had a chance to test it out with the new changes today. If it works out nicely I will go ahead and upgrade it to epic for the excellent debuff. Right now I am just rocking it to utilize the benefits of those 3 "illegitimate" ring slots :D
    My Toons

SoonerGM - HR Trapper
    Haven - Righteous Cleric
    Ethereal Justice - OP Paladin
    careful sometimes take pet above blue you ruin them don't die then run into long procts so check how fast he dies and how fastr he hits coming back to life ve how long he runs and cools down when alive
    I hope this makes sense