test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

my Mod 9 protection build

captnspicypantscaptnspicypants Member Posts: 17 Arc User
As both a PC and Xbox One player I wanted to share both a visual and typed guide to my current Mod 9 Protection Build after the nerfs.
I may not always respond here I am more active on my YouTube channel but will drop in time and again to check replies.

http://mmominds.com/2016/06/21/mod-9-protection-paladin-build/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocHrUTTRwpE

Comments

• Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    I like the build and a friend of mine is running something very similar. One question though, have you thought about Trans Feytouched for a weapon enchant? I would think that would go nicely with this build.
  • Options
    I have considered it the only thing that turned me away from it was the 3 enemies maxed and the once every 20 seconds use on it not saying that it couldn't be an option but maybe I read it wrong but it just didn't seem as viable overall in a group setting I would say in PvP/solo purposes that it could be a very well alternative. I honestly think they have quite a few enchantments that could work well with this build ranging from plague fire, terror, lightning, and even fey I would say it's up to the users discretion. Thank you for contributing to this and I say if it works for anyone wanting to experiment with it or parse it by all means let me know the results I am always open to alternatives and ideas.
  • Options
    nightranger7477nightranger7477 Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    It is very interesting they way you have dumped power, I know with the loss of DP 20 sec to 6 and 80% to 50% makes defense more important but with BO and TW combo I am still able to face tank orcus with my old set up, I too have the owlbear and run radiant enchantments in every slot, we have always been damage sponges and our reflect dmg can be insane. Just not as much now that BO can not go over our current HP total which makes radiant in defense slots that much more important, more HP equals more reflect dmg. I run Feytouched and Negation trans and my resting dr is around 60% but of course I have the stronghold boon which makes stacking azures not as important. Power and HP are key to OP dmg aura of courage is a must. 8000 recovery is more than enough even with the nerf. I currently can Bubble up every 8 to 9 seconds I hv snail burning and about 1200 Ap gain. You just have to time it a little better for the rest of the party, I have only been using it when needed. As others adjust and learn to avoid the red I think that we will become much more welcome in parties again just for bane and that extra layer of protection when it is needed the most. Thanks for you work and insight. We Pallys are going to be just fine.
  • Options
    wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    Yes, i would recommend bane instead of burning light on non trivial encounters. and i dissagree with blacksmith and galeb as blacksmith got his reflect nerfed to max 2500 and imo a rust monster ir dancing sword look better doing party wide debuffs.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • Options

Yes, i would recommend bane instead of burning light on non trivial encounters. and i dissagree with blacksmith and galeb as blacksmith got his reflect nerfed to max 2500 and imo a rust monster ir dancing sword look better doing party wide debuffs.

I can't seem to find where the blacksmith was nerfed to max 2500 the tooltip still shows 25% damage could you please point me in the direction of that so I can look into that more and thank you for the insight bane isn't a bad switch out at all as a Paladin is a very situational class.
  • Options

It is very interesting they way you have dumped power, I know with the loss of DP 20 sec to 6 and 80% to 50% makes defense more important but with BO and TW combo I am still able to face tank orcus with my old set up, I too have the owlbear and run radiant enchantments in every slot, we have always been damage sponges and our reflect dmg can be insane. Just not as much now that BO can not go over our current HP total which makes radiant in defense slots that much more important, more HP equals more reflect dmg. I run Feytouched and Negation trans and my resting dr is around 60% but of course I have the stronghold boon which makes stacking azures not as important. Power and HP are key to OP dmg aura of courage is a must. 8000 recovery is more than enough even with the nerf. I currently can Bubble up every 8 to 9 seconds I hv snail burning and about 1200 Ap gain. You just have to time it a little better for the rest of the party, I have only been using it when needed. As others adjust and learn to avoid the red I think that we will become much more welcome in parties again just for bane and that extra layer of protection when it is needed the most. Thanks for you work and insight. We Pallys are going to be just fine.

A couple things I can agree and disagree with here. 1. Defensive boons from stronghold is nice anyone with that option can certainly consider running other enchantments in the defense slots other than Azure but in this case not everyone is going to have that boon plot especially PS4 owners off the bat. 2. Recovery is not just in terms of the bubble it also applies to your cool downs on your encounter powers which is why I go above 8000 because with the echoes nerf this will allow you to reduce time on BO cooldown to spam it perfectly I would say 8000+ is fine. 3. Stacking Radiants while it may seem idea for overall HP lets take in this case where I have a total of 6 defense slots. With all 6 being rank 12 radiants we know a rank 12 radiant gives 2800 max HP. 2800 X 6 = 16800. We know that Aura of Courage, which is always slotted in case you missed that, works based off a total of 1% of your maximum HP. now we'll use 1% of 140,000 HP which is my stated HP = 1400 damage increase and each rank after the initial is a 10% boost so a total of 30% increase. 1400 X 30% =420 so currently I do 420 additional damage, as do my allies, bringing a total of 1820. Lets stack the additional 16800 potential HP with the same formula applied and 1% of 16800 is 168 X 30% = 50.4. New total 168 + 50 = 227. So an additional 227 damage just doesn't scream add me into defense slots it's almost like taking what you can get at that point I say sure if you have defensive boons and want to play around with a slight damage increase go for it but it won't be super noticeable. Lastly I never dumped power that was power standing around without going into combat you saw I actually have with all things considered, no SH boons, around 35000 power in combat. I don't necessarily say that radiants in offensive are a bad thing but you have to keep in mind that hitting the 60% PVE AP cap is crucial as well to damage dealing. Again I don't think what you are saying is wrong by any means as a build can be tweaked to do this or that with different enchantments I am simply disagreeing with the logic of dumping all radiants in every slot while ignoring other factors at play here.
  • Options
    http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/comment/12818110#Comment_12818110. Here is the blacksmith thingie, regarding radiant in defense (which I also use ), yea 227 dmg may sound dull until you realise that it gets added to every single action around you. Also radiant in def equal power and survivability.
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
  • Options
    Aside from the talk on Radiant Enchantments I will just say to each own. Thank you for sharing that post I am gonna have to do some testing no wonder I couldn't find it seems very sneaky of them.
  • Options
    Yes it was a stealth nerf, one day strumslinger was walking with bsmith on the live stream next day it got nerfed....

btw during your testing please tell how yeti is behaving as i am having the strange feeling it does not proc when we have temp.hp up - i notice getting big only when taking looooots of dmg and getting bellow max hp (real hp).

• Options
    tutelo#5367 tutelo Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    @wildfirede

The yeti active bonus procs for me even when temp HP is up.
  • Options

Yes it was a stealth nerf, one day strumslinger was walking with bsmith on the live stream next day it got nerfed....

btw during your testing please tell how yeti is behaving as i am having the strange feeling it does not proc when we have temp.hp up - i notice getting big only when taking looooots of dmg and getting bellow max hp (real hp).

I did indeed get around to testing the Blacksmith I will be showing this in my next video and of course providing credit where credit is do as you showed me this and also to the OP and as for the Yeti i'll see what I can pull up with that and thank you again.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    null
    I wasn't criticizing your build about the radiant enchantments in defense slots only describing what I use and have found work best, and use currently. Survivability is very important and anything we can do to buff those around us make us that much more wanted in dungeon runs and is key to our classes survival, Power is in my humble opinion the most important stat to the pally whether protection or devotion because of aura gifts, I do like your build though and I do think it will help new Pallys as they get started, tanking orcus is no easy feat for fresh 70s. As far as dps goes on a pally with cap on binding oath it has put a serious dent in our ability to do the massive amount of reflection damage we used to be able to put out. 40% ap is all that is really needed for 95% of PVE content 60% is for bosses and Tiamat, and at bosses we need to focus on keeping aggro which is no small feat do to our broken aggro mechanics (currently using charging bull) and keeping everyone else alive. Dps classes do the rest.
    Post edited by nightranger7477 on
  • Options

null

I wasn't criticizing your build about the radiant enchantments in defense slots only describing what I use and have found work best, and use currently. Survivability is very important and anything we can do to buff those around us make us that much more wanted in dungeon runs and is key to our classes survival, Power is in my humble opinion the most important stat to the pally whether protection or devotion because of aura gifts, I do like your build though and I do think it will help new Pallys as they get started, tanking orcus is no easy feat for fresh 70s. As far as dps goes on a pally with cap on binding oath it has put a serious dent in our ability to do the massive amount of reflection damage we used to be able to put out. 40% ap is all that is really needed for 95% of PVE content 60% is for bosses and Tiamat, and at bosses we need to focus on keeping aggro which is no small feat do to our broken aggro mechanics (currently using charging bull) and keeping everyone else alive. Dps classes do the rest.

I definitely did not feel as though you were criticizing at all in fact I felt completely the opposite rather I was having an intelligent conversation with someone who knew the paladin class in a sense. I was just simply stating my thoughts on the radiant but overall the conclusion remains the same we definitely need to focus on surviving first and unfortunately with our broken aggro system the only way we can is to do damage so any paladins coming into this conversation keep in mind once you do break certain defenses, whether it be guild boons or other wise, you can consider upping the ante as far as damage is concerned whether it be needing more power or armor penetration. Thank you everyone for your input thus far it's been very insightful and helpful overall and moving forward I sincerely hope they take a look at our threat threshold as in need of a dire fix.
  • Options
    Captn have you considered dread warrior as a companion option? After the blacksmith nerf I switched out to him and can definitely say it helps with threat generation, the way I compensate for our broken threat mechanic is charging bull ring, dread warrior and oath strike and I can definitely affirm that it works, we would have no problems at all if they would either increase our ability to generate threat with a add on of some kind or just fix what is broken. Also the combo of yeti and dread warrior makes you ridiculously big, you can even tower over Lostmauth! LOL Thanks again for all the work you put into this build and for keeping the Pally faith brother.
  • Options
    I actually have considered the dread warrior just wondering does it go off as much as the yeti and how well does it work against orcus, regardless, I may in fact run it after doing some initial testing with the nerf to the blacksmith which is just unbelievable. Thank you everyone who brought this to light. I'm also looking at whether or not I switch out the Galeb Duhr I keep getting conflicting reports that it's health missing VS the number damage you have taken I tried running him as a solo companion I can't seem to confirm or deny which one it really is the damage numbers are all over the table either way. Any concrete proof on this I have been searching as of late, please keep in mind I haven't used the arc forums much until recently you can see my post count lol, but between digging on reddit and other sites I can't find a concrete answer any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    Galeb Duhr is not a companion that I'm very familiar with unfortunately but yes the dread warrior procs constantly, I have seen bosses do complete 180s back and forth to me and a GF buddy of mine that runs with it and two characters towering over bosses is hilarious, try it with a yeti slotted as well and you will see how stupid big you seem to get. I also read they are getting ready to release more class rebalancing and that pally threat generation fix might be coming with it (fingers crossed)
  • Options
    raiderone000raiderone000 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    In Companions with Owlbear, you mention very little crit in build due to 50% additional damage based on your power every time you fail to Crit. Where does this come from? Gear? Feats?
  • Options
    pr3stigexpr3stigex Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    The owlbear, that its active bonus.
    Lash Urzoth 3.7k GWF, Pr3sTiGe 3k SW.
  • Options
    balufunkebalufunke Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 195 Arc User
    Hi Captn, which boons from Storm Kings Tunder you recommend?