test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should mail be for friends and guilds only?

meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
edited May 2016 in Player Feedback (PC)
I feel like there should be an option to block mails coming from people that aren't on a player's friendlist or in any of their guilds. It doesn't need to be on by default, but it should definitely to be a possible choice for those who, like me, think private messages are enough of stranger danger.

I'm suggesting this because every day like clockwork, a very enamored gold seller sends me the same mail. It's been going on for weeks now and happens around 6 a.m. my time, meaning that I'm not even online when he sends it. Although I feel very special to have made such an impression on the person that they assume I'd become their customer and even add them to skype, there should be a better solution than the "report spam" button that seems to do absolutely nothing. Even if I ignore them, there is a new message the next morning from a different account, but only one message every day.

Thoughts?

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,083 Arc User
    No. I get too much use out of the mail system.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    The spam messages are annoying, but it only takes a moment to click the "Report Spam" button, and once enough people click that button, I believe the account sending the spam gets muted or banned (not 100% sure how it works). I look at it as an easy way to report bots.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    greywynd said:

No. I get too much use out of the mail system.

I'm curious of what that use is. Is it auction house related?

@kreatyve Unfortunately, there is nothing stopping that reported spammer from making a new account and continuing what they were doing, especially in this case where the spammer (or the group) sends new mails every day at the same time. I don't feel like there is any benefit for me personally in getting mails from people who aren't friends or in the same guild, and that spammer is mailing me every single day even when I'm not online. If the filters aren't going to catch these things, at least having some control would seem more player-friendly to me. Just reporting spam hasn't fixed any of the problem so far, sadly.
    I have had people wanting to trade refinement resources. My main has a fairly large stockpile. Depending on what specifically, I have no problem dropping one in the mail for them.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • wildfiredewildfirede Member Posts: 886 Arc User
    Cryptic can't you add a string to the global filter if it gets reported like 50-200 times
    Please fix Zhentarim Warlock companion's skill "Arcane Warping" to the originally intended "Arcane Boost"
    zhentarim-warlock-companion

Pure -> Transcendent Plague Fire weapon enchantment giving 80damge/20 seconds for 500k+ AD is a joke.
    plague-fire-weapon-enchant-r11-vs-r12
  • meiramimeirami Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 423 Arc User
    I guess it would be a band-aid fix. Personally, I don't mind private messages as much since a spammer would need to catch me online first ("visible to friends only") and not just run through their personalized mailing list, but different strokes to different people.
    Respecting of privacy by a company means they don't sell the information you supply to play the game. Nothing more.
    Actually, it isn't, because those third parties, such as other players, are in the game as well. Remove the system and you have no way of knowing if anyone is on in the game unless they show up in chat or you trip across them.
    Disagree. And without the current set up NO ONE would be on your friends list or in your guild.