test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

companions for tank

cerberusforcescerberusforces Member Posts: 163 Arc User
Hello
I start play GF and now i have Shieldmaiden (gift). But what do you think about lead figure (tin golem)?

Comments

• Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Iron Golem?

Not sure that you really a defender companion, I would suggest a healer or if you really want a defender, then a yeti.

Look for companions that have % buffs rather than a straight +x to whatever stat, as they will be better at end game.

• Options
    zakienwarzakienwar Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Pewter golem is the best i think cause he does not cause any agro
  • Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    For a starter tank either go with a goat or a angel of protection.

• Options
    ok thx.
    And what do you think, which5 companions is the best for end game? Which recalled and which only passiv?

ps. if i buy companions "rare" i can lvling him for "epic" (i play few weeks and im not sure)
  • Options
    im running with

rust monster
    blacksmith
    goat
    wererat
    ion stone of allure

but I need to swap one or two out
  • Options

ok thx.
    And what do you think, which5 companions is the best for end game? Which recalled and which only passiv?

ps. if i buy companions "rare" i can lvling him for "epic" (i play few weeks and im not sure)

Hum.... i would go for:
    Honey badger(10% less damage under 35% HP);
    chicken(+40% movement speed and a -10% damage debuff on your attacker if you take damage greater than 25% Maximum Hit Points in a single blow);
    angel of protection(if you have lathander set go for other like bullete pup or dread warrior);
    shadow demon(with bonding runestones) (The first months i wen with lizardfolk shaman, it heals team awesomely but procs poorly runestones );
    sylph(50% control resist);

This is only if you want to become a mega tank, i have only 2 of those and the only content i really struggle is eDemo and CN, but manage to make.

• Options
    thanks all for answers
    Now i start play so i dont have AD for companions but i like know what to buy in the future.
    I browsed companions in game and this is my list. (i dont have this pets but pls tell me, it is a good options or not and why)

shieldmaiden - neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Shieldmaiden

blacksmith - neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Blacksmith_%28companion%29

goat - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Goat hmm, in game goat have the same skills what chicken, in this website isnt,

pewter golem - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Pewter_Golem in game +700 def and +700 power

rust monster - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Rust_Monster

• Options
    edited April 2016

thanks all for answers
    Now i start play so i dont have AD for companions but i like know what to buy in the future.
    I browsed companions in game and this is my list. (i dont have this pets but pls tell me, it is a good options or not and why)

shieldmaiden - neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Shieldmaiden

blacksmith - neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Blacksmith_%28companion%29

goat - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Goat hmm, in game goat have the same skills what chicken, in this website isnt,

pewter golem - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Pewter_Golem in game +700 def and +700 power

rust monster - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Rust_Monster

Rust monster debuff is bad, i've search about it some months ago and i remember the debuff was very weak and non thrustable.

Shield maiden at epic- 300 deflect, invest in deflect as GF may grant you more survivability once you have a high amount and use foe hammer's elixir, but it's a lowering in ITF effect, so i dont recomend you to take anything with deflect if you can have it with defence, beside 300 deflect = 0,75% deflect chance or am i wrong?

Goat, it is good beginning because it's a augment and you can slot loyal defender and sells for 145k, just that, you dont need more stamina once you have all boons you'll have more than enough stamina, even without feats in protector tree.

Pewter golem- nothing special, has nice looks....

Blacksmith, no idea what's the cooldown.

• Options
    OK thx, now i think my pets list is weak ;D
    Thx for your help.
    Maybe you know which companions should I buy at start? I dont have to much AD, but i can buy angel of protection (i see for 90k) or wait few days and try farm AD for better pets.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    You can't go wrong starting with an angel, it's like getting a big upgrade to your SF, 2000 defence, periodical 50% less damage and still heal, not for 5% as it is stated but +/- 12% of your HP at epic quality, continuous heal on demand.

Meanwhile i would keep with basic companions, greens there isn't anything relevant at low price neither do blue, so it would be retarding your progress.

When i meant you wouldn't need stamina that doesnt mean you can trow shield talent away.

• Options
    OK thx for your answer
    and what do you think wich second companion?
  • Options
    At the start if you are less than level 70, just pick the healer companion that costs you a few gold or whatever, that will be a good compliment for your GF. Then load up all your slots with the other "free" (i.e. only cost gold) companions and then replace them with better ones when you have the AD.

I think its better to spend AD on yourself first (i.e. artifacts, gear, enchants etc.) and then on your companion.

Shield Maiden - a bit of deflect is useless, don't waste your time with this companion.

Angel - is OK, but it is 100K and you need to decide to go with either an Augment companion (stone, chicken, goat etc.) or a fast attacking companion and then load it with bonding runestones. The angel isn't good for either of these options and therefore I don't believe it should be your first pick to spend 100K. You can get one of these for free after a year if you invoke every day. Angel would be a good second or third companion.

If you want an augment and you can afford the chicken, then go for that, its probably the best augment. But if you don't have the 900K AD to spend on it, go with a goat - its only 45K more than the angel and it will be a decent augment that you can keep for a long time. Its active bonus is good for a tank - when you are stunned you get healed, I find it handy all the time, particularly against the beholder in CN.

If you want to go down the attacker companion and bonding stones, then from what I read and see in my guild, either the blink dog, or air acron are cheap and decent companions. Yeti is a tank companion that is supposedly good (but I hate tank companions on my GF), there are other better companions for bonding stones (like the shadow demon that treeclimber suggested), but they are more expensive - there are other threads about those you can read up on. Bonding runestones are expensive, so imo this is an expensive option when you have the AD

Rustmonster - I'm not 100% sure how great it is, I have one because I think any damage debuff is a good thing, when you slot KV and your taking damage from all the party, it all adds up. This shouldn't be in your first 2 or three companion purchases though, its a filler companion when you have spare AD and after your augment / bonding companion is geared up

Blacksmith - I have one of these as well, it procs a bit but the damage it reflects is limited, its OK but again, a filler companion to consider when you have your augment / bonding companion geared up.

Pewter golem - probably another waste of AD, its just got straight stats, you don't want those kind as they will worth little at end game

Honey badger - is probably OK if you spend a lot of time with less than 35% HP. Really I would estimate that I would be less than 35% HP less than 5% of the time, so for me it would be useless most of the time. But I'm a Tactician and pretty much have fighters recovery to recover health whenever I need. This might be a good companion tho.

The Slyph you need to get from one of the packs, 50% control resist is good, if you have the Zen go for it, but after you have your augment / bonding companion geared up.

I'd be keen to see what some of the other GF's use as companions . . . . . .

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Angel ward is 5% (2000 defence) the only way you can get this with a augment would be very expensive enchants or 3loyal defender on a augment, you still have th 50% damage protective ward and the healing and even as secondary companion you will be shielded by 10%of your hp after revival.

Rust monster uptime is low and cooldown big, search the forum.

Honey badger is good for emergency FR, that and maze engine last boon and blood crystal raven skull.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    We are talking about the Angel of Protection aren't we, the one you can get for 365 ardent coins?

Where does it say that Angel's ward is a 2000 defense bonus? I'm reading it and it says it intercepts half of all incoming damage. Not sure that is needed. If there is a 2000 defense bonus - does it add to ITF? If it does I'm getting myself one right now. Active bonus is just the 10% HP on rez, that's OK but not ground breaking if you have a latthanders set.

I don't see many ppl going around with the Angel as a summoned companion, so its just the active bonus that's worth considering. Its a good second or third, when or if you have spare AD but I just think you can do better for a first.

Chicken - 1M AD
    Shadow Demon - 500K AD
    Badger - none on AH at the moment and I can't see it on the Zen market
    Sylph - none on AH you need to buy the bundle (cant remember which one) which means you need Zen

Look if someone's got a couple of million to spend on companions, then they are great, but most people don't

But that's just my opinion, not trying to criticise anyone personally, just saying what I think.

Edit - from what I read on the forums, ppl like the rust monster and supposed it is a 30 sec debuff that has a cooldown of 8 secs and stacks 3 times - am I missing something? If so a point in the right direction would be appreciated, like a link please.
    Post edited by lantern22 on
  • Options
    Not 2000 defence, the ward protects the same as 2000 defence, people chose the angel because of the average heal of 6% HP per second, the 50% protection each 60 seconds if you get hit for more than 5% of HP and the ward on resurrection, it's definitively good.

The OP asked the companions for endgame, i told the best i know, not looking at prices, if there isn't badgers anymore, not my fault, yesterday there were 2 there, and what's the problem with zen? You can trade it you know...

About the rust monster, i remeber it lasts for 8 seconds not 30, but test it your self if you have one.

• Options
    ok thx all for answer
    Now i dont have to much AD so i can buy only something with 100-150 AD. I only must know that some pet will be useful all time. Now i can buy goat or farm AD for chicken or something else.
  • Options

ok thx all for answer
    Now i dont have to much AD so i can buy only something with 100-150 AD. I only must know that some pet will be useful all time. Now i can buy goat or farm AD for chicken or something else.

If you're not planning on getting lathander set go for the angel, it will be top quality, i guarantee you, if you are planing on go for lathander set it depends you to decide if you want to spend 150k on a goat and latter on a chicken again, you will be the one playing during the time to get it, not us.

• Options
    From lathander i probably buy only Greater Lathander’s Cloak, so you convinced me i try buy angel of protection.

I have a question about artifacts now i have Waters of Elah'zad, Sigil GF, Bruenor's Helm. These are good? and what next? (maybe this one:Emblem of the Seldarine or Oghma’s Token of Free Movement? )
  • Options
    Yes they are good, the life steal in Bruenor's helm is meh, but there are builds around LS for GF here in the forum so it's a matter of taste i guess, if those builds work:
    Anyway next i would get a heart of white dragon, symbol of fire (best but ultra expensive), oghma's token, devoted sigil/Hearth of the red dragon, defender's banner in this order or avaliability.

OR!!!!

Bloodcrystal raven skull and make it your main artifact, i just cant live without it anymore xD.

• Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User

Hello
    I start play GF and now i have Shieldmaiden (gift). But what do you think about lead figure (tin golem)?

For start Shieldmaiden is very good.3 Defense Slots ,two rings,2 sec attack.Also she is melee,so she will be next to you most of the time=no aggro problems.

Buy the eldritch (that is the name right? ;) ) enchant that gives a percentage of comp stats to you.eld rank8s are extremely cheap right now.You can have the 21% of comp stats for 9k ad.

As for artis:
    One healing arti in main slot ,waters is good.And the rest ,try artis that fill your desired stats allocation.

• Options

Hello

For start Shieldmaiden is very good.3 Defense Slots ,two rings,2 sec attack.Also she is melee,so she will be next to you most of the time=no aggro problems.

Buy the eldritch (that is the name right? ;) ) enchant that gives a percentage of comp stats to you.eld rank8s are extremely cheap right now.You can have the 21% of comp stats for 9k ad.

As for artis:
    One healing arti in main slot ,waters is good.And the rest ,try artis that fill your desired stats allocation.

Rings are the most expensive loyal equipment, shieldmaiden is normal quality so you can only upgrade to lvl 20 so you can only fill 2 equipment slots, deflect is less desirable, she's single target aggro so she wont be agrroing much and she will cause aggro problems in bosses like lostmauth unless you hit for a decent amount to keep the boss focussed on you.

About artifact, many times the problem is not healing, you can heal yourself with FR, and a artifact wont heal you fast enough or the healer in the party will heal what the artifact would, Bloodcrystal raven skull is very good, defender's banner also is, not the best in stats to endgame where situations where you would use them are less but still very good.

• Options
    About eq i want this:
    http://mmominds.com/2016/02/14/ackters-pve-buffalot-guardian-fighter/
    With this eq angel is a good choice?

Maybe you know how much cost Oghma's Token of Free Movement (green) i saw in game (blue and purple) is very expensive.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    DId you check the tarmalune store? I'm not sure if they sell there, but even if they do it will be a green one and really expensive, if you want one get ready to cash out so thousands AD.

That equipment is fuly defensive, i am wearing a similar but keep in mind that you will have to push armour penetration up, it's really important that you hit the 60% and i cant see why that would not work with the angel.

• Options
    OK thx so i try buy angel. Unfortunately oghma is to expensive for me.
  • Options
    craoluscraolus Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Is there a real benefit (compared to the cost) for taking the shieldmaiden past green? I can just imagine that money spent so much better elsewhere.
  • Options
    The cost/effectiveness ratio of getting SMaiden past green is mediocre ,to my opinion.Ofcourse it offers benefits.it would be cool to have a purple maiden.
    If you have the AD or you want to have everything maxed.

I suggested maiden ,in the spirit of OPs question:A very cheap answer for a new player.
    in that theme,SMaiden is an extremely effective performance/cost ratio solution.

later a new player can switch to an augment.And later he can return to the maiden and make it a bonding companion.(Which is very good)

As for the rust monster question:
    i use one i have it since mod2.The power in question is not the active bonus: (5% debuffx3)
    But the rank 30 unlocked power "Hyper corrosion".You have to have Rust as a companion summoned.
    It has 8 s cooldown lasts 30 secs.
    Applies to you and the party +5% damage +8% debuff.It is single target only good for bosses.

Tested with a friend and i tested solo to be sure.+5% effectiveness appeard on my act with no other buff used.
    friend confirmed he also saw an extra +5% effectiveness in ACT.
    I am not the best ACT user but i think it works.if it does,then Rust monster could probably be one of the most usefull companions in the game.
    (More test by someone more experienced than me in ACT would be welcomed though)
  • Options
    jobsalotofworkjobsalotofwork Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I'd suggest the young yeti. It gives a chance to get a percentage increase to damage on being hit. If you're running KV it happens fairly often. It's also a cute little bugger :)

It increases your toons size too, which is fun, and isn't ridiculously priced for a good green companion.

I also like the active on the battlefield medic 6% incoming healing, lizardfolk also has it, but starts at Green.

Cheers
  • Options
    Hi thx all for asnwers. I decided my first companions will be Angel, but i lost my AD in auction bug. After losing auction my AD disappeared... When i get back my AD (I hope that will happen) i try buy angel. Now i see a lot of ppl play with this companions.
  • Options
    Hi Cerberus.
    AH is bugged.try using gateway to get back your AD.
    If after thursday patch,your AD is still poof fill a bug request.Cause in the past the AH binding was an exploit,that was theoreticaly solved.

As for Angel is probably the best healing companion.but if you run with friends ,and you have a good DC,you can lok to other options.

Whenever have the money buy a Black Ice Prospector .i think currently are at 130k?Not sure.
    They come with a bonding enchantement.Buy the BIprospector and then sell the enchantement.Overall this will make clean price for this companion at 30-40k

Why BIProspector? 5%Aoe resist .That is a huge bonus.
  • Options
    But i have problem with this companions.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Blackice_Prospector - in my game (PC, PL language) this companions give: 25% threats for companion and 3% chance to sneer for me (i dont have any AoE resit)

the same i have in goat.

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Goat but in my game goat have the same bonuses like chicken. So when i look at goat i see: +40% move speed, -10% dmg etc.