test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dusting off my GF

adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
edited April 2016 in The Guard Barracks
Back in 2013, just a few days after open beta started, I made a GF, which was supposed to be my RP-oriented character - Draupnir Irontoe, a stereotypical gruff dwarven axe-and-shield wielding fighter. I got him up to level 60 and then stopped playing him, so the poor guy has been idling ever since - I enjoyed playing my primary character a lot and later I somehow didn't feel like dragging a second character through the 60-70 process. Besides, the GF did have some....issues back in 2013.

Now, two things are changing. First, the 60->70 process is being redesigned, and second, it seems the GF are getting some attention, so I am considering dusting off my GF.

Here is the thing. I have forgotten half of what I knew about playing a GF, and the other half is probably obsolete, and as I seem to have picked up a free respec at some point, I am going to rebuild my GF.....but how?

He is never going to be my primary character (I like my DC too much) - just something to switch to when I want a change, or when my guild needs a GF for a dungeon run. Most importantly, I want a GF that is fun to play (and yes, PvE only - I'm not into PvP). So, the question - what kind of build would you suggest...and why ?
Hoping for improvements...
Post edited by adinosii on

Comments

• Options
    omegaospreyomegaosprey Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    The answer may change depending on your iLevel. Mine is 2.2k and I just came back to the game about three weeks ago to check it out again. I have tried a Swordmaster Protector build and an Iron Vanguard Conqueror build. The Prot build would be much better for dungeon runs. The Conq build for doing all the daily content (even if you die on occasion from being too aggressive on the pulls). Pretty much no matter what you do you will have "Into the Fray" slotted b/c the self/group buff is just too good to pass up.

In the end, it is better than it used to be but is (at least until the next patch...and may even then) still a worse tank than Pally and not a real DPS either no matter how Conquerory you go. I have a fair amount of affection for mine which is why I keep coming back to dabble with him on and off but other than in PvP the GF is a tweener class in a game that prizes DPS.

Maybe when you hit the 1% iLevel club he turns a corner. I don't know. I will probaby never get there. Not going to spend hundreds of dollars to buy that power or grind out very repetitive content to "earn" it.

As with most advice, YMMV. Good luck.

• Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    I like my IV Tact for tanking / buffing. But I've been considering respeccing to a SM Tact to get access to Steel Defense.

Stack defense and use ITF
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    adinosii said:

it seems the GF are getting some attention,

In this game, that's almost always a bad thing.

Different strokes...
    I was a pure tank/dragon tooth brusher for 4 mods and got utterly sick of it.
    My GF is a buff/debuff/DPS conq. Not much of a pure tank, but I can agro and add DPS to the party instead of agro-ing, blocking, and watching the party have all the fun while I carry the water and towels for the tricked-out GWFs rocking shinnies like Mr T from the 80s.

The build is all about the gear. Because you have to spread out so many different stats many classes don't have to worry about.
    AoE/DoT DPS is respectable, but any class will pull ahead in paingiver with alot of single-target battles.