test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Been away for a bit - Is Temptation a viable spec, as it was pre the Elemental Evil catastrophe.

lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
Title says it all.
...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
"Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
..............not this one then.............

Comments

• Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    As viable? no. Low IL viable? no.

Possible as a healer endgame? Perfectly, GF using KV + acknowledged DC + Temptation = perfect.

GF using KV + Temptation, possible if the GF knows how to do his job.

But the main problem is that most of the DC's can't identify a Temptation SW, how to work with them or have even heard of them, many of them keep using healing powers and refuse to change when asked because they mentalized that they are the only possible healer in a dungeon, that is in part the worst problem. I ran with a virtuous and a GF some days ago, i never seen a DC using powers so well, i have a DC, i tested all the powers, know my rotation but that guy was something else, buffs that i could not comprehend, and i healed, a lot, he barely a bit.

But these situations are 1/100.

Apart from this there is also the paladins situation, if you are in a party with a devotion paladin, specially after the shield of faith nerf happen you will have 2 people doing the same job in a dungeon, aura of despair and wraith of shadow can help a bit protecting just as bane and aura of truth in OP, and the SW will deal 1000000000xxxx times more damage if you play it right. With OP protection after DP nerf things may actually work better, after DP breaks, which will be a lot more of then now DC will have to unleash a burst of protection while you heal, then again, not many DC's will have the knowledge for that and they blame the people that should be dpsing and not healing instead of them.

Oh and random rage quitters that were expecting lots of damage from you quiting when things aren't going very well or just because they stamped in they're heads that temptation is broken and everyone that choses is dumb, and they leave.
    Post edited by treesclimber on

• Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    No, it's not. My Warlock was Temptation build and I use to do on average 15-19 million healing. Currently, for PvE you have to stack soooooooo much LS that you end up gimping your other stats. Currently, to date, I have been able to hit 65% life steal and have tested temptation in PvE and PvP it is not optimized as a healing spec (It's garbage).

I would say don't even come back to your Warlock or play this game until they do the re-balances as you will be met currently with a lot of disappointment rolling this class as a healer.
    I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    gomok72 said:

No, it's not. My Warlock was Temptation build and I use to do on average 15-19 million healing. Currently, for PvE you have to stack soooooooo much LS that you end up gimping your other stats. Currently, to date, I have been able to hit 65% life steal and have tested temptation in PvE and PvP it is not optimized as a healing spec (It's garbage).

I would say don't even come back to your Warlock or play this game until they do the re-balances as you will be met currently with a lot of disappointment rolling this class as a healer.

Funny of you to say that, yesterday i was on CN with my righteous DC and things got tough, even with KV, the team was pretty squishy so i changed my encounters to AS, BoH and DG, if there only was a healer there so i could use bts and dish BoH, and at orcus i was protecting the GF so i relied only in DG to heal team......anyway i must be wrong, i've only played with temptations countless times over the last months from DC, GF, GWF perspectives and made also countless runs with my SW temptation. Oh and my LS is only 5800 (no guild, no boons), all i gave away was probably the fact that i could have other artifact in vanguards banner place, but i use it for prestige anyway, it's a well deserved artifact anyway these situations are rare to happen, but they do happen, don't say they dont, im starting to think you didn't play temptation at all.

• Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I like temptation.
    You do not have to sacrifice a lot to get > 30% lifesteal.
    Only thing you have to manage is the Aggro you will get in some groups.
    Edemo 1. Phase you need some defense or you slot ambush ring
    Tons oft Aggro.
    Your damage is OK, you never reach damnation or furylocks...but you are a support.
    PVP is also an option being very mobile...atm PVP in a hole is dead btw.
  • Options
    ftrydaftryda Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    Temptation is great at higher iL. With a good GF you can run any content being the only 2 support in the group. You won't top paingiver with equally geared players, but your healing potential is much greater than a clerics. Stacking lifesteal does not sacrifice any offensive stats so don't let that be a concern since any other defensive stat for a warlock is useless (although I believe there's the potential for a deflect build but I've yet to see it). 25-30% lifesteal as Temptation is a good target, but more is always welcome.
    4000 iL Scourge Warlock
    Well Endowed (Xbox)
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2016

gomok72 said:

Funny of you to say that, yesterday i was on CN with my righteous DC and things got tough, even with KV, the team was pretty squishy so i changed my encounters to AS, BoH and DG, if there only was a healer there so i could use bts and dish BoH, and at orcus i was protecting the GF so i relied only in DG to heal team......anyway i must be wrong, i've only played with temptations countless times over the last months from DC, GF, GWF perspectives and made also countless runs with my SW temptation. Oh and my LS is only 5800 (no guild, no boons), all i gave away was probably the fact that i could have other artifact in vanguards banner place, but i use it for prestige anyway, it's a well deserved artifact anyway these situations are rare to happen, but they do happen, don't say they dont, im starting to think you didn't play temptation at all.

Been playing Temptaion longer than some of these dps based players on here and if you would like, send me a tell in game and we can run a Dungeon together with your pick of group and I'll show you what a BIS slotted SW can and cannot do as a Temptation spec ( I love teaching people new things).

Also, I am assuming, he was talking about mod 4 to 5 Temptaion builds, if he is expecting to do what he did when "LIFE STEAL" actually was better than what it is now, it does not hold a candle to it. 19 million to 9 million is a HUGE difference in healing.

Also, I'm not sure if you are understanding what's been happening with the class balance changes coming to this game, if he was to come back, I would highly advise that he not spend a bunch of AD re- gearing, due to this. He may buy stuff right now and it won't even work for his spec once the changes are done (Only a ignorant person would do this).

-Kymos

I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    gomok72 said:

gomok72 said:

Been playing Temptaion longer than some of these dps based players on here and if you would like, send me a tell in game and we can run a Dungeon together with your pick of group and I'll show you what a BIS slotted SW can and cannot do as a Temptation spec ( I love teaching people new things).

Also, I am assuming, he was talking about mod 4 to 5 Temptaion builds, if he is expecting to do what he did when "LIFE STEAL" actually was better than what it is now, it does not hold a candle to it. 19 million to 9 million is a HUGE difference in healing.

Also, I'm not sure if you are understanding what's been happening with the class balance changes coming to this game, if he was to come back, I would highly advise that he not spend a bunch of AD re- gearing, due to this. He may buy stuff right now and it won't even work for his spec once the changes are done (Only a ignorant person would do this).

-Kymos

I know what the paths are capable of, i've been the 3, damnation able to deal double the damage of me is no surprise, but take the example my DC could perfectly dish BoH over BtS, 20% more damage for all the team + single target massive dps debuff and even 30% more damage if the melee players got the regular DG buff, that pretty much covers Damnation damage. And remember necrotic damage from fury was reduced from mod 5 to 6, so the gap between fury and temptation has been shortened (taking apart killing flames being obviously broken and a fix will come eventually), the only problem is only get life steal enough to heal team up. The gearing up? Simple build power + crit, dont sacrifice any of those for life steal, you'll get enough when you achieve a good IL, make the changes you want, cannot be wrong with that.

• Options
    taitinhakkaajataitinhakkaaja Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    I just had to test temptation build. (solo in preview) My life steal was about 40% in combat and got to admit, soloing was so easy :D Temptation seems to be really good healer, but lack of buffs makes dc a better choice for support class... and righteous dc can do more damage too, or virtuous with good companion equipped with bondings.
  • Options

I just had to test temptation build. (solo in preview) My life steal was about 40% in combat and got to admit, soloing was so easy :D Temptation seems to be really good healer, but lack of buffs makes dc a better choice for support class... and righteous dc can do more damage too, or virtuous with good companion equipped with bondings.

Virt? no nonsence. If you mean a righteous serving the party as dps'er yes, it can outdps SW temptation, but trying that on DC will get people really mad at you XD, really really mad ("y u no heal and protect DC?").

• Options
    Yeah virtuous. when i use annointed army my power is over 100k and with high crit% and trans dread -> happy place.
  • Options

Yeah virtuous. when i use annointed army my power is over 100k and with high crit% and trans dread -> happy place.

I would challenge you to beat me in dps, but i see you are far more equipped than me, did you take 20% more damage from righteous tree?

• Options
    Challenge must be done in solo content, cause aa buffs all... and no i'm currently full support build. Besides if i'm in party i'll play my role as support, so i really don't do much dps.
    I've had some runs with similar geared righteous and our dps was about same, but then again it's hard to tell which powers everyone used.
    My build is far from complete, next i'm gonna try companion with 3 ring slots -> 3xring of brutality. So when now my max solo power was 132k, then it should be way over 200k... sadly power is hard capped. Owlbear cub could be nice at those power ratings.
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Rightous DC can beat a temptation warlock if he is pure dps, but that only works in some dungeons.
    A virtous build will never beat a temptation warlock in damage, never ever.
    100k power, that´s an ammount you get by buffing a maxed companion with 3x rank12 bondings.
    But even doing so you will have problems to beat a templock, beside bugged MF a templock is 1/3 below a fury lock in damage from my observations, even doing some raids I never ever saw any DC rightous/virtous, no matter wich direction even near my damage, not in tiamat, not in edemo, nowhere.

Talking about solo content....everyone knows that warlock outside a dungeon is one of the slowest and most unhandy classes, that´s why there are only few of them, puppet doesn´t work, MF bug doesn´t work, encounter deal low damage... my HAMSTER GF with no boons seems to be faster running solocontent than my near maxed warlock.
  • Options
    We don't see many dc's in top spot of pain giver chart, cause 99.9% of time they don't focus 100% for personal dps. I've been in edemo 3k+ group where dc was no.1 in pain giver.
    Like my normal rotation is divine glow, astral shield and bastion of health and fill divine power with very weak at-wills blessing of battle and astral seal.
    Thing is most of the time dc will buff your damage, by sacrificing his own. That doesn't mean dc can't do decent damage if he just focus his own dps.
    My sw is now almost 4k and dc is 3.4k, so i can assure that i know quite well about both classes pro's and con's.
    Yes i've played all trees, mostly fury and righteous.