test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Shadow Demon questions

warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
does anyone know is this pet working as intended?I thinking to get him for my guardian fighter tank alt he sounds great to have for soloing campaings and doing dungeons(he do insane damage so this would help me a lot ) but I'm afraid they might nerf it or fix it

Comments

• Options
    treesclimbertreesclimber Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    Well, it's great but it's also supa expensive, if you're afraid they will nerf it maybe you should try another one, maybe if you go defensive you can afford to dish some protection on your powers and let your companion handle you, i did that with my GF, got an angel, now, you have some other low price options, if you go for bonding runestones Watter archon is a good proccer, not too dpsi but it's fine.

• Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    I don't know if the demon works as intended. Just for your information, I noticed the demon attacks much harder from epic to legendary. In epic level, I remember one attack (not per attack) does around 60k damge, legendary level is around 180k damage.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    But is it better than a Mec or Thief? From an overall DPS increase perspective with high level bonding stones?
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    niadan said:

But is it better than a Mec or Thief? From an overall DPS increase perspective with high level bonding stones?

he has huge dps and it is only reason I thinking to get it on legendary he do easy 200k+hits so this would make him great solution for to slow dailys finishing on my guardian fighter. Shadow demon is as well great for procing bonding stones I think it is a lot better then those 2 u mentioned since they do no damage while he do insane and at the same time procs bonding stones great
  • Options
    warpet said:

niadan said:

he has huge dps and it is only reason I thinking to get it on legendary he do easy 200k+hits so this would make him great solution for to slow dailys finishing on my guardian fighter
    yeah and dc and other buffs work on it as well so it can do as much dps as one solid dps char in team
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    Its not Wai. there r some loops with his dmg.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited March 2016

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

That was fixed a while back. The Shadow Demon has one hard-hitting attack, but it's not his main one and is on a long CD at 10 seconds.

Even if the damage is toned down, the Shadow Demon is still one of the best at Bonding procs and even when that is fixed, it still does a good job of keeping the mobs occupied with its stealth ability. I don't regret spending a fortune on the Shadow Demon. Its my one legendary companion which I intend to keep using for a long time.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    lirithiel said:

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

That was fixed a while back. The Shadow Demon has one hard-hitting attack, but it's not his main one and is on a long CD at 10 seconds.

Even if the damage is toned down, the Shadow Demon is still one of the best at Bonding procs and even when that is fixed, it still does a good job of keeping the mobs occupied with its stealth ability. I don't regret spending a fortune on the Shadow Demon. Its my one legendary companion which I intend to keep using for a long time.
    Oops, my bad then. His dmg is still crazy tho.

Epic demons hits harder on act than most 2.5k pugs in edemo. That says something.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• Options
    edited March 2016
    none knows for sure is he wai or not ? guess will skip him for now its kinda a lot to invest for something that could be nerfed to ground
    Post edited by warpet on
  • Options
    karakla1karakla1 Member Posts: 1,355 Arc User
    He is definetly not WAI. If he will be changed is another question that no one can answer.
    If you wanna have an companion that is WAI and still deals a good amount of damage i can recommend the honeybadger and powrie for single targets or the black ice prospector for multi targeta. I would also recommend to give them one indomitable runestone to buff their damage.

You can further increase the damage by using overload enchantments for companions. The honeybadger deals about 10-15k Dps if you do this.
    plat.png
    Platypus wielding a giant hammer, your argument is invalild!
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    I do not know or care if he is WAI or not WAI. I have him and I am using him. Much like the other "over powered" items, LOL set, Owlbear cub, Twisted set....whatever. If you do not want to use him...don't. I am still trying to decide which of these so called OP companions to use, and I have most of them. The Shadow Demon is just too cool for me not to use. You can sit and wring your hands on what to play with, or simply play.
  • Options
    durugudesudurugudesu Member Posts: 555 Arc User
    niadan said:

I do not know or care if he is WAI or not WAI. I have him and I am using him. Much like the other "over powered" items, LOL set, Owlbear cub, Twisted set....whatever. If you do not want to use him...don't. I am still trying to decide which of these so called OP companions to use, and I have most of them. The Shadow Demon is just too cool for me not to use. You can sit and wring your hands on what to play with, or simply play.

i use a shadow demon, kept at green, usually does highest damage among pets when i run heralds. so if you have it, yeah use it. it'd be a waste not to if it's already bound on character and you have no other active companion to use at the moment.

Loouuu@durugudesu.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    so far we have the damage dealer companion and the tank companion on overpowered versions. I Would like to see in future a control wizard overpowered companion which wiill have powers: opressive-steal time and the shard of endless avalanche and in top of that will add and chills and freeze monsters:)
  • Options
    No thank you. We had overpowered CWs up until Mod 5. One has already soloed CN just 1 day after Mod 9 release. I do not want to see a repeat of that with companions :p
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    I just bought one, comparing it to the fire archon I was using prior it's much better. With runes at 10,11,12, it procs 3 comp.gifts quicker than the archon, and stacks protectors cameraderie/friendship fully to 4 in about 10seconds. Don't really care about the damage it does, but the active is nice given that HRs have a lot of deflection anyway.

10/10
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    niadan said:

No. Not really. That one big hit doesn't make him the best.

stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    I don't feel comfortable investing any more real money into this game or much time.

Fool me one Shame on you..
    Fool me twice shame on me..
    Fool me three times and I am the village idiot..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    bankatushenkibankatushenki Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    I like demon cause it have deft strike, 3xoffence and looks cool. Its have no any super multiprocing of bondings. Zen Warlock procs much better and almost same with Delusion. Thief have best procing.
  • Options
    krymkackrymkac Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Demon has a nice active bonus, hits hard & looks cool. Y wont get tons of CG stacks with it but anything more than 3 is broken BS anyway. Lots of things in this game been broken since forever. Only cryptic gods know if anything gonna get changed/fixed/nerfed.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I prefer augments, but did some testing (general, not with ACT) with bondings rank 12 using warlock and shadow demon. Shadow demon clearly came in higher for me. Neither had powers or stats that really complemented my toon, however.

The warlock was purple and the demon was at legendary, should that make a difference.

I went up a tier in guild dragonflights with the demon (came in 4th three times in a row). With the warlock I really didn't notice the difference from my augment (came in 5th-6th).
  • Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Question with Shadow Demon, do you need a high deflect for him to work well? I have 3.5% deflect on my CW right now and wondering if it would be worth going to the Demon. Is there a desired deflect score you want with demon?
  • Options
    I found the Shadow Demon to be great for a bonding pet and he does plenty damage on his own. My character has low deflect as well, so can't say how much better he is for the active bonus.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Shadow demon gives 100% deflect sev, so if you deflect an attack you take... 1HP damage, and yes, you need good deflect for him to be useful for anything except extra dps. No offence but 3.5% is horrible.

He's good for HRs, if you run with lonewolf and stack silveries, almost nothing can kill you. If I tank up, I have about 50% deflect.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    zibadawazibadawa Member Posts: 1,266 Arc User

I prefer augments, but did some testing (general, not with ACT) with bondings rank 12 using warlock and shadow demon. Shadow demon clearly came in higher for me. Neither had powers or stats that really complemented my toon, however.

The warlock was purple and the demon was at legendary, should that make a difference.

I went up a tier in guild dragonflights with the demon (came in 4th three times in a row). With the warlock I really didn't notice the difference from my augment (came in 5th-6th).

Dragonflight ratings aren't a straight DPS check.
  • Options

Dragonflight ratings aren't a straight DPS check.

AFAIK they are a practical example. There are other variables, but there are always other variables. What do DF scores measure?
  • Options
    crizpynutzcrizpynutz Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    jonkoca said:

Shadow demon gives 100% deflect sev, so if you deflect an attack you take... 1HP damage, and yes, you need good deflect for him to be useful for anything except extra dps. No offence but 3.5% is horrible.

He's good for HRs, if you run with lonewolf and stack silveries, almost nothing can kill you. If I tank up, I have about 50% deflect.

Thank you for the confirmation! No offense taken, my deflect is pitiful.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

AFAIK they are a practical example. There are other variables, but there are always other variables. What do DF scores measure?

Put it this way. If you are one of those who focuses entirely on a dragon throughout the fight, you won't score well. ACT will prolly put you at the top of damage but the in-game chart measures your contribution to dealing with the Empowerers as well.
    Our pain is self chosen.

• Options
    bigredbrentbigredbrent Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 155 Arc User
    Honestly, I think he is working as intended, and all other companions should be buffed to be comparable. The little amount of damage that all the other companions do is almost non-existent.
  • Options
    lerapiso818lerapiso818 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 92 Arc User
    The shadow demon do 2.5x more damage than my blink dog but doesn't grant Combat advantage, so I think it's balanced