tomahawkthegreattomahawkthegreat Member Posts: 22 Arc User
my guide has been cross posted to mmo minds

here is a link for those that cannot access the original

http://mmominds.com/2016/01/20/death-and-taxes-dps-cw-guide-mod-8/
Tagged:

Comments

• mayday#2798 mayday Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I will not say that the build is bad (it is a good one), but i dislike the guide cause you do not bring explanations on why to up that feat or another, or why to slot that encounter and not this one, just ”YES! MORE DPS!! 5/5”.
    I think any single noob that wants to be a Thaum, looking at the feats will take just the same as in your guide and will never need the guide itself.

Also, the are no alternatives in the guide. For example, there are several different good heroic feats builds, and i gues, it is much better to use another rotation for boss and dragon fights.

Some feats:
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13e3im0:1z00u00:1z05uu1:1000000&h=0&p=ssm
    or
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13e3ij3:1550u00:1z00uuv:1000000&h=0&p=ssm

As you can see, there are some other feat builds that a viable too, and worth mentioned.

Also, not a single word about other good encounters (desintegrate, icy rays, RoE). Also, there can be several other rotations, situational rotations can exist too.

And as a final note, there is nothing about gameplay, what to do and what to expect from this build. A list of pluses and minuses is wellcome, 'cause a novice has not enough info on what this build is. only "YES! MORE DPS!! 5/5".
  • tomahawkthegreattomahawkthegreat Member Posts: 22 Arc User

I will not say that the build is bad (it is a good one), but i dislike the guide cause you do not bring explanations on why to up that feat or another, or why to slot that encounter and not this one, just ”YES! MORE DPS!! 5/5”.
    I think any single noob that wants to be a Thaum, looking at the feats will take just the same as in your guide and will never need the guide itself.

Also, the are no alternatives in the guide. For example, there are several different good heroic feats builds, and i gues, it is much better to use another rotation for boss and dragon fights.

Some feats:
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13e3im0:1z00u00:1z05uu1:1000000&h=0&p=ssm
    or
    http://nwcalc.com/index.html#/cw?b=23ci:k6rwk5:8dep:5tb7d,13e3ij3:1550u00:1z00uuv:1000000&h=0&p=ssm

As you can see, there are some other feat builds that a viable too, and worth mentioned.

Also, not a single word about other good encounters (desintegrate, icy rays, RoE). Also, there can be several other rotations, situational rotations can exist too.

And as a final note, there is nothing about gameplay, what to do and what to expect from this build. A list of pluses and minuses is wellcome, 'cause a novice has not enough info on what this build is. only "YES! MORE DPS!! 5/5".

I have listened to your advice. I took down the gimmicky feat explanations and replaced them with more basic explanations of what they all do.
    and i added some stuff to the artifact section and enchantment section.
    "Frozen Power Transfer – Chilling Cloud now grants 1/2/3/4/5% bonus damage for every target you strike with its third strike. This bonus lasts for 20 seconds and stacks up to 3 times. So you mean to tell me with this maxed I can gain up to 15% more damage?? Sounds good to me!! 5/5"

Take a look at http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1211157/list-of-known-and-suspected-cw-bugs#latest
    FPT seems to be bugged and stacks only once for 5% dmg.

To prevent leveling up a bugged feat you can add Elemental Empowerment as an option.

"Combined with Fight on we have a full 38% reduction in cooldown."
    The mechanic of Spell Twisting is unclear, but it is definetly not rechearge speed encreace. It will rather reduce your colldowns by 10% (from maximum) per stack, so it has nothing with rechearge speed. It seems to be an independent cooldown reduction mech.

"Chilling Control – Sudden Storm now applies 1/2/3/4/5 stacks of chill. WAIT NOW OUR LIGHTNING POWERS DEAL CHILL STACKS?!?!?! What is this world coming to? 5/5"

With your rotation, and because you have icy veins, this feat is more like a waste, despite the fact that the range is high, when you cast it, targets will be in 15' radius.

Anyway, great work done!
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    edited February 2016

"Frozen Power Transfer – Chilling Cloud now grants 1/2/3/4/5% bonus damage for every target you strike with its third strike. This bonus lasts for 20 seconds and stacks up to 3 times. So you mean to tell me with this maxed I can gain up to 15% more damage?? Sounds good to me!! 5/5"

Take a look at http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/discussion/1211157/list-of-known-and-suspected-cw-bugs#latest

To prevent leveling up a bugged feat you can add Elemental Empowerment as an option.

The mechanic of Spell Twisting is unclear, but it is definetly not rechearge speed encreace. It will rather reduce your colldowns by 10% (from maximum) per stack, so it has nothing with rechearge speed. It seems to be an independent cooldown reduction mech.

"Chilling Control – Sudden Storm now applies 1/2/3/4/5 stacks of chill. WAIT NOW OUR LIGHTNING POWERS DEAL CHILL STACKS?!?!?! What is this world coming to? 5/5"

With your rotation, and because you have icy veins, this feat is more like a waste, despite the fact that the range is high, when you cast it, targets will be in 15' radius.

Anyway, great work done!

Here is my explanation of spell twisting, taken directly from the comments:

Spell twisting reduces your cooldowns by 30%, it does not add 30% to recharge speed increase. The difference between the 2 is simple: CD = Cooldown
    Recharge speed increase works as follows: CD/(1+recharge speed increase)
    Spell twisting works as follows: 0.7*CD
    To correlate the 2, spell twisting is worth [1+(recharge speed)]/0.7-(1+recharge speed)
    Which means assuming you got 0 recharge speed increase, at absolute worst, spell twisting is worth 42% recharge speed increase, or 8400 recovery. If you have any more recharge speed increase then 0, it is worth a whole lot more.

It is not 100% accurate, because the game always rounds cooldowns UP to the nearest second, for example, if the cooldown is 21.2 seconds, the cooldown is actually 22 seconds long and the same mechanic works with spell twisting, whereby it will reduce your cooldowns say from 22 seconds to 15.4 seconds, but then because of cryptic rounding it plays a 16 second cooldown. Also, it is assuming that you always get the benefit of 3 stacks of spell twisting, for 1 stack its *0.9 and for 2 stacks its *0.8, but you get the idea.

Anyhow, I am giving the build a thumbs up now, after the changes that have been made to it, it is definitely a good build.

Anyway, great work done!

Here is my explanation of spell twisting, taken directly from the comments:

Spell twisting reduces your cooldowns by 30%, it does not add 30% to recharge speed increase. The difference between the 2 is simple: CD = Cooldown
    Recharge speed increase works as follows: CD/(1+recharge speed increase)
    Spell twisting works as follows: 0.7*CD
    To correlate the 2, spell twisting is worth [1+(recharge speed)]/0.7-(1+recharge speed)
    Which means assuming you got 0 recharge speed increase, at absolute worst, spell twisting is worth 42% recharge speed increase, or 8400 recovery. If you have any more recharge speed increase then 0, it is worth a whole lot more.

It is not 100% accurate, because the game always rounds cooldowns UP to the nearest second, for example, if the cooldown is 21.2 seconds, the cooldown is actually 22 seconds long and the same mechanic works with spell twisting, whereby it will reduce your cooldowns say from 22 seconds to 15.4 seconds, but then because of cryptic rounding it plays a 16 second cooldown. Also, it is assuming that you always get the benefit of 3 stacks of spell twisting, for 1 stack its *0.9 and for 2 stacks its *0.8, but you get the idea.

Anyhow, I am giving the build a thumbs up now, after the changes that have been made to it, it is definitely a good build.
    Yeah! That formula is great.
    But, anyway, it should be mentioned:
    RT= recharge time left; then after we trigger ST:
    newRT=oldRT-CD*(0.1*[Spell Twisting Stacks]) {it is the same formula}, and thus, ST can be taken as constat, but it is not recomendet, 'cause when you trigger ST, some seconds from CD are allready gone.

Or, if to go deeper:

newRT=OldRT- (maxCD*0.1*[ST stacks])/(1+[recharge spead])
  • tomahawkthegreattomahawkthegreat Member Posts: 22 Arc User

Anyway, great work done!

the site has been reworked and most of this information has changed to the correct information