test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Are the penalties for failure and death enough?

zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
After having played Everquest for many years, moaning about the death penalty for alot of them, when I started playing NW I missed it.
There is no shame in dying in NW, there is no hardship in dying in NW,
Should failure carry a penalty not a reward? Ie you can die 1000 times in Tiamat and lose the encounter and still win a dragon egg, that IMO is wrong.
If the encounter fails, you should get NOTHING.
If you die max level then gold is not a sufficient cost. We all have more gold than we can spend. There should be penalties for failure as well as rewards for sucsess.

Comments

• Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    The death penalty in Everquest was brutal, and I'm glad this game doesn't have it.
  • Options
    nathanjmnathanjm Member Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The option to delete your character can be done at any time you want. If you chose to apply it after character death, who am I to judge? (Protip: we'd appreciate it if you also toned down the judging) Failing that, you could always force yourself to gift off AD/gold/whatever as a death tax.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    I am here because it is ***NOT*** Everquest.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    stretch611stretch611 Member Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    While I can agree with not being rewarded dragon eggs and the like for failure in tiamat (It creates a bunch of useless camfire sitters); I do not agree with penalizing death past losing the items you received during the combat you died during.

This game has many players, some are quite good, others are really awful. If you are doing group content, should you be penalized because someone on your team is not up to snuff and you die? Should a GF be penalized because he was using KV, and some idiot continually stood in the red zone killing both of them? Or if you have a useless healer (or none at all) should you be penalized when your healing pots are on cooldown, and you have a sliver of health?

If you look in zone chat now (or LFG) the requested item levels to join a group are ridiculously high... how high will they go if people were penalized?

Then how many times have you ever died due to lag... or a bug?

And if you have a character that needs to gear up, how many people will help you run the content to get the gear if you are a liability?

This is not a good idea... at all.
    @stretch611

Murphster - SS CW | Jennsen Rahl - MoF CW
    Taarna - GWF
    Eowyn - Protector OP | Leela - Devoted OP
    Mara Jade - TR
    Leeloo - Tempt SW | Kahlan Amnell - Fury SW | Galadriel - Damnation SW
    Sturm Nightblade - GF
  • Options
    gphxgphxgphxgphx Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    zukn75 said:

After having played Everquest for many years, moaning about the death penalty for alot of them, when I started playing NW I missed it.
    There is no shame in dying in NW, there is no hardship in dying in NW,
    Should failure carry a penalty not a reward? Ie you can die 1000 times in Tiamat and lose the encounter and still win a dragon egg, that IMO is wrong.
    If the encounter fails, you should get NOTHING.
    If you die max level then gold is not a sufficient cost. We all have more gold than we can spend. There should be penalties for failure as well as rewards for sucsess.

Believe it or not most people play this game for pleasure, not punishment. If being a HAMSTER makes you happy I'm glad for you. Instead of trying to enforce it upon others why not go into chat and give something away randomly or donate a set amount to your guild bank every time you deem you 'fail'.

You can die 1000 times in Tiamat, fail the instance, and have been the only person trying to kill the dragon while no one else ever left the spawn point. That's not a fail, it's an epic win.