test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weapon Damage vs Critical Severity

frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
I am a CW and was wondering whether +25% Weapon Damage and +25% Critical Severity would yield the same damage output (assuming I have 100% Critical Chance)... Or is one better than the other? Which results in more damage?
FrozenFire

Comments

• Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    Base weapon damage wins when the critical chance is 100%.

I assume that the formula for damage in that case is (1+s) * b, where b is the base weapon damage and s the critical severity.

Damage when increasing severity by 25% is...

d1 = (s + 1.25) * b

Damage when increasing base damage by 25% is...

d2 = (s + 1) * 1.25 * b

Since b is the same in both case we get the following damage ratios...

d1/b = s + 1.25

and

d2/b = 1.25 *s + 1.25

Clearly the base damage increase wins.
  • Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User

The only flaw in the argument is that I've never seen a CW with 100% crit. GWFs sure, but as far as I know, they are the only ones that can get 100% crit at this moment, which is why people keep nagging about the LM gear set. Not counting eye of the storm obviously because it doesn't have a 100% uptime.

CWs can get 100% crit chance the same way GWF do.
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Ok, I wanna know how to get that 100%. I have 70 on my GWF currently, and except for changing my pets (currently allocated for add HP and crit sev, just don't see it. I have rank 12 azures in every offense slot and picked my Dragonflight/Drowcraft armor to maximize crit. Got the double slot rings as well.
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    If +Weapon Damage is winning even at 100% crit then it is better at all times right?
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Also, now I got another doubt... Lightning Enchantment does a percentage of weapon damage right? Does that damage get affected by multipliers? How does it compare to +Severity from vorpal (assuming vorpal gives +25% Severity and Lightning does 25% wep dmg) (yeah, I assume a lot :p)?
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

The only flaw in the argument is that I've never seen a CW with 100% crit. GWFs sure, but as far as I know, they are the only ones that can get 100% crit at this moment, which is why people keep nagging about the LM gear set. Not counting eye of the storm obviously because it doesn't have a 100% uptime.

Shouldn't CWs have an easier time hitting 100% crit because they're already getting 18% crit chance from their feats alone?
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    As things are now, a Renegade CW if your normal Crit % is greater than 70%, you'll have 100% Crit chance about 1/3 of the time from Chaos Magic proc'ing. I'm at about 71% using R9/R10's, and Chilling Presence.

As a GWF, look at Lazalia's GWF guide on how to get there.
  • Options
    sh00termcl0vinsh00termcl0vin Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    The "100" percent crit that everyone is referring to on gwfs factors in when you take into account weapon master stacks with the offhand bonus. I don't think there is any way to achieve an unbuffed 100%crit rate
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User

The "100" percent crit that everyone is referring to on gwfs factors in when you take into account weapon master stacks with the offhand bonus. I don't think there is any way to achieve an unbuffed 100%crit rate

I'll have to check that. I may already be there. Thanks!