test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Defender Pets ... Help

tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
My CW is thin as heck and when soloing I got frustrated so I bought a Rimefire Golem buffed it to purple, equipped it with 3 Loyal Defender pieces +10% threat each....

Shouldnt some mobs focus on the golem? Nothing attacks it, everything still just attacks me WTF...

Comments

• evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
    I haven't got a Golem, but my Earth Archon is a pretty good tank, the scorpions love him, so much that GF's cower in the corner and sulk, lol.

Perhaps the Golem isn't very good, or your dps is too highn that it draws more aggro.
  • archonenarchonen Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Golem doesnt have threat generator like other defender companion.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Try a healer companion, in most cases they hold the aggro and heal you for a bit too...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • zekethesinnerzekethesinner Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 805 Arc User
    Yeti or earth archon r good choices, tho yeti i better at procing bonding runestones.

(Sin)cerely
    Kain

• suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Frost mimic is OK, affordable, robust even without upgrading, and has an AoE that binds aggro OK. Only it's not really fired _that_ often...

I've had good enough results with mine (plural)...
  • aeonnettetwo#2746 aeonnettetwo Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    I've had surprisingly good results with that Neverwinter Guard (or something like that).
    Not so much with the others.
  • dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    the main problem with the rimefire golem is the long windup for its taunt.
    the earth archon is far superior and cheaper. yeti is good but needs to be upgraded so figure another 750k to get it to purple so its immune to aoes. where as you can buy an earth archon for under 250k at purple. main advantage of yeti is 3 offense slots vs earths 3 defense slots.
  • tantrumusmaximustantrumusmaximus Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. Sad I spent all that AD on upgrading the golem to purple. Just saw Defender and saw a lot of CW with it and figured it would be good. meh

I'll grab the earth archon, sounds good.

yep... much better. Thanks.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Yeti is your BFF! ;)
    va8Ru.gif
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated. Sad I spent all that AD on upgrading the golem to purple. Just saw Defender and saw a lot of CW with it and figured it would be good. meh

I'll grab the earth archon, sounds good.

When I was still a squishy just on 2k CW, the Earth Archon was my lifesaver. Once you gear up and get your rotations in place, you'll find you can solo all the areas without him.
    edited November 2015
    Earth Archon is what I ended up with and havent looked back, wish I had the AD back from the upgrades from the Rimefire but Meh... I'll take the 35th level HP Active bonus, just an expensive buff now looking back.

Very happy! Can actually do the Icewind Dale dailies solo without a ton of dancing around. Giants are still rough but I can pull it off. :) Unlike the old days when Companions would just die off at 60th level, these seem to really stand up for a good while and are actually useful. Nice.

Thanks Again!
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    I used to use the Wild Hunt Rider on my Archer due to 2 of its 3 attacks generating threat. However, he attacks only every 2 seconds so I swapped him out for a Young Yeti, whose CD on primary attack is only 1 second, which makes for more Bonding Runestone procs.

Also the Yeti can tank Lostmeal scorpions like a boss! I generally deal with lefty myself now.
    dufisto said:

main advantage of yeti is 3 offense slots vs earths 3 defense slots.

Would defensive slots not be more beneficial to defender companions than offensive slots?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User

Yeti is your BFF! ;)

My GWF's Yeti is truly his BFF.

My HR's Bear does a good job as well.

The big... umm.. Dread Warrior, I think, is a good aggro magnet, I think. I'm pulling from memory here.

A good companion to have in one of your active slots (but not summoned) would be the Owl.. 25% less threat for you.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
    edited November 2015
    Cool thx for more replies. Owl is def. Upcoming purchase...

I just read ironzergs build and about the acolyte of kelemvor if well equipped being an awesome summoned companion giving lots of Lifesteal. Thinking about messing with that too.

Also can't ignore the yeti!
  • suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Owl is cool, but not as an actively tanking tank pet - no AoE => only one enemy gets fully aggroed...
  • instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User

Owl is cool, but not as an actively tanking tank pet - no AoE => only one enemy gets fully aggroed...

Sorry.. I think you misunderstood...

The owl is a striker.. and the active bonus is "Reduces your threat -25%."

My strategy behind recommending the owl to tantrumusmaximus is that if their threat is reduced, it might make it better for their tanking companion to draw aggro.
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • sorce#8115 sorce Member Posts: 1,009 Arc User

Sorry.. I think you misunderstood...

The owl is a striker.. and the active bonus is "Reduces your threat -25%."

My strategy behind recommending the owl to tantrumusmaximus is that if their threat is reduced, it might make it better for their tanking companion to draw aggro.
    If they are playing solo, reducing your threat by 25% means nothing when you are attacking thing. You would grab threat when you attack.

the Owl is good in situational circumstances - parties where you need to stay alive (the healer for example), or if you are trying to sneak past things (and not attack).
    edited December 2015
    Figured I would circle back to this thread and share my new love... The Acolyte of Kelemvor. I no longer use a tank pet. Upgraded 3 Perfect Bonding Runestones, gave her 3 good companion rings. Companion gift procs a ton and the one ability she has gives you so much lifesteal that I have been just standing there and taking the hits because I know my health will be full by the time the fight is over.

This companion has made IceWind Dale dailies a piece of cake where before I barely could handle the yetis/giants/bears.

I got that info out of IronZergs Death guide and just have been so happy since.
  • balthezar2balthezar2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 151 Arc User
    HR and I use the shield maiden, upped her to legendary and she does a great job, they stick to her and I can stay back and pew pew pew, and she rarely falls.