test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Boons for CW: Damage vs Heal

karamekoskaramekos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
When Lifesteal changed I changed my Boons to increase my survivability. With the extra HP now available (and since I'm stacking mostly Radiants in Defense slots), I'm thinking of going back to damage supplementing boons. I ran eToS and eCC with other CWs who had those damage-oriented boons and examined the ACT data. I'd like opinions on Enraged Regrowth vs Shadowtouched and Elven Tranquility vs Ferocity. I also have a tangential question on how to determine what Endless Consumption is doing in ACT.

Shadowtouched appears to be more potent than Enraged Regrowth. I saw more CWs running Shadowtouched in the ACT parses. While both boons seem to benefit around 6,500-7,000 points (damage vs healing, respectively), Shadowtouched procced more often (perhaps on each tic of DOT) and therefore you get more out of Shadowtouched than Enraged Regrowth. For those two dungeons (eToS and eCC) Enraged Regrowth procced on one wizard 14 times for 98,800 and the other 6 times for 39,196. Shadowtouched, however, proceed 140 times for 909,154 damage. Again, Shadowtouched appears to give a better return than Enraged Regrowth.

Elven Tranquility and Ferocity both seem to benefit in the 23,000-27,000 point range, again with Elven Ferocity proccing more often. Elven Ferocity procced 40 times for 942,933 damage and 48 times for 1,202,785 damage. Elven Tranquility, however, did proc 15 times for 418,520 HP and that's a sizeable enough number to weigh the choice. But again, as with Shadowtouched, Elven Ferocity seems to be a better choice for CWs running AoE spells.

Finally, can anyone share how to see the effects of Endless Consumption in ACT? I also wanted to do some analysis on Endless Consumption versus Rampaging Madness, but can't tell how to gather data on Endless Consumption. Lacking data on this, however, I welcome opinions or data on Rampaging Madness versus Endless Consumption.

Comments

• Options
    urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    OP said:

Elven Tranquility and Ferocity both seem to benefit in the 23,000-27,000 point range, again with Elven Ferocity proccing more often. Elven Ferocity procced 40 times for 942,933 damage and 48 times for 1,202,785 damage. Elven Tranquility, however, did proc 15 times for 418,520 HP and that's a sizeable enough number to weigh the choice. But again, as with Shadowtouched, Elven Ferocity seems to be a better choice for CWs running AoE spells.

1 million damage is probably 1% or less of your damage in a T2. Staying alive is more important than a marginal damage boost. You'll do a bit more damage and still get massively out DPS'd by a GWF because you're not really in a party to be the top DPSer.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    urabask said:

1 million damage is probably 1% or less of your damage in a T2. Staying alive is more important than a marginal damage boost. You'll do a bit more damage and still get massively out DPS'd by a GWF because you're not really in a party to be the top DPSer.

They are in for that when I am making the party!
    Chose all the healing for pvp and all the dmg for this pve content!

Endless Consumption is not that good anymore. We got enough ls severity. We need more ls chance!
    stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • Options

urabask said:

They are in for that when I am making the party!
    Chose all the healing for pvp and all the dmg for this pve content!

Endless Consumption is not that good anymore. We got enough ls severity. We need more ls chance!
    Pretty much the only reason to take a CW is for the party buffs : |

You're still basically quibbling over irrelevant amounts of damage.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth only heal you when receiving damage.
    Are you doing dungeons without a tank and/or healer? Are you a CW tank? Are you soloing?
    If your dungeon party contains tank, healer, and other controllers, then you should rarely get hit .... except if you are speed running in front.

There are better options to increase survivability than Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth.
    1. Renegade
    2. Shield
    3. Healer/Protector/Tank companion
    4. and this one may surprise you (it surprised me). lostmauth set and as much DoT as possible. conduit of ice on tab, fanning the flame, and icy terrain. These three DoT's will frequently proc lifesteal and also lostmauth damage. DoT powers proc lifesteal more frequently than non-DoT powers. From my experience, in order to survive, it's often better to have many small heals than fewer bigger heals. Normally, DoT powers don't do big damage but with lostmauth set + Elven Ferocity + Shadowtouch, DoT powers can do good damage. Ray of enfeeblement is another DoT power. Maybe not as good as other DoT, but useful in boss fights.
  • Options
    commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    urabask said:

If I want to give real buffs to my party I use my DC/justice-OP or tactician GF! Not my CW!

stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • Options

urabask said:

If I want to give real buffs to my party I use my DC/justice-OP or tactician GF! Not my CW!

lol so what are you running some special cupcake thaum-oppressor build? Good luck with that?

sangrine said:

Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth only heal you when receiving damage.
    Are you doing dungeons without a tank and/or healer? Are you a CW tank? Are you soloing?
    If your dungeon party contains tank, healer, and other controllers, then you should rarely get hit .... except if you are speed running in front.

There are better options to increase survivability than Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth.
    1. Renegade
    2. Shield
    3. Healer/Protector/Tank companion
    4. and this one may surprise you (it surprised me). lostmauth set and as much DoT as possible. conduit of ice on tab, fanning the flame, and icy terrain. These three DoT's will frequently proc lifesteal and also lostmauth damage. DoT powers proc lifesteal more frequently than non-DoT powers. From my experience, in order to survive, it's often better to have many small heals than fewer bigger heals. Normally, DoT powers don't do big damage but with lostmauth set + Elven Ferocity + Shadowtouch, DoT powers can do good damage. Ray of enfeeblement is another DoT power. Maybe not as good as other DoT, but useful in boss fights.

Shield stops working on anything that spams AOEs. Chaotic growth is good but not really consistent enough by itself. For lifesteal to be a consistent source of heals you need to have somewhere around 15% which requires a pretty big investment if you don't have the Stronghold boon, and even then you're losing HP to do it. Taking a tank companion is a bad idea because it can pull aggro from your party's tank.

Also, you can't always depend on your tank or healer especially in a pug. If either of them go down and you have to rez them having the heal boons can save a run. And again, OP posted his ACT, I really doubt he's using some outlandish rotation that's not going to proc anything. It's probably COI, steal time, icy terrain and disintegrate/ COI, chillstrike, ray of enfeeblement, disintegrate. And he only got 2 million damage in total from it.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    urabask said:

Shield stops working on anything that spams AOEs. Chaotic growth is good but not really consistent enough by itself. For lifesteal to be a consistent source of heals you need to have somewhere around 15% which requires a pretty big investment if you don't have the Stronghold boon, and even then you're losing HP to do it. Taking a tank companion is a bad idea because it can pull aggro from your party's tank.

Also, you can't always depend on your tank or healer especially in a pug. If either of them go down and you have to rez them having the heal boons can save a run. And again, OP posted his ACT, I really doubt he's using some outlandish rotation that's not going to proc anything. It's probably COI, steal time, icy terrain and disintegrate/ COI, chillstrike, ray of enfeeblement, disintegrate. And he only got 2 million damage in total from it.

Do you play CW? Do you play a renegade CW? because it seems maybe you don't.

As far as I know, shield still reduces damage even when fully diminished.
    There are some old forum discussions about this. might be possible to find more info by searching.
    "AOEs" ... Don't you mean DoT's?

The OP says he is currently using healing boons instead of damaging boons.
    "Elven Ferocity procced 40 times for 942,933 damage and 48 times for 1,202,785 damage" .... Since OP is using defensive boons, this is probably data from two separate runs, of other CWs, who use offensive boons.

Even if the original poster can survive without a tank and/or healer, because he choose healing boons, can he and the other 2-3 players finish a boss fight with a dead tank and/or healer? In easy T1 dungeon, probably yes. In T2 dungeon, probably no, unless all surviving players have some ability to heal and/or tank.

If the original poster want to mostly solo, then I completely understand wanting to take healing boons for solo survival.
    But for dungeons, there normally is a healer ... and many healers are somewhat tanky, usually more tanky than a CW.
    More likely, the CW will need a revive from the healer, than the healer will need a revive from the CW.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    sangrine said:

As far as I know, shield still reduces damage even when fully diminished.
    There are some old forum discussions about this. might be possible to find more info by searching.
    "AOEs" ... Don't you mean DoT's?

No, I mean AOE's like in elol or in eSoT. If you aren't playing with a bubbledin then you need someway to keep up with them. And when Shield is diminished it reduces a fraction of what it does when it is not. For the first two hits it'll reduce it significantly and then anything after that it doesn't matter. You're also giving up a lot of damage by slotting shield instead of COI.
    sangrine said:

The OP says he is currently using healing boons instead of damaging boons.
    "Elven Ferocity procced 40 times for 942,933 damage and 48 times for 1,202,785 damage" .... Since OP is using defensive boons, this is probably data from two separate runs, of other CWs, who use offensive boons.

And? Chances are any CW you run into is probably copy+pasting Ironzergs build anyways.
    sangrine said:

Even if the original poster can survive without a tank and/or healer, because he choose healing boons, can he and the other 2-3 players finish a boss fight with a dead tank and/or healer? In easy T1 dungeon, probably yes. In T2 dungeon, probably no, unless all surviving players have some ability to heal and/or tank.

If the original poster want to mostly solo, then I completely understand wanting to take healing boons for solo survival.
    But for dungeons, there normally is a healer ... and many healers are somewhat tanky, usually more tanky than a CW.
    More likely, the CW will need a revive from the healer, than the healer will need a revive from the CW.

I'm not saying that he should be surviving without a tank or healer. I'm saying that lots of things can screw up a run and all it takes is you dropping two times before your soulforged is up again and your party has to try to finish with four players. Random **** happens and the healing boons can save you a lot more time than an extra million damage over the course of an entire dungeon.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    urabask said:

I'm not saying that he should be surviving without a tank or healer. I'm saying that lots of things can screw up a run and all it takes is you dropping two times before your soulforged is up again and your party has to try to finish with four players. Random **** happens and the healing boons can save you a lot more time than an extra million damage over the course of an entire dungeon.

Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth only have a small chance to proc on an incoming hit.
    As you would say, it's not a "consistent source of heals".
    In eLoL, final boss, second round, the attacks are often knock downs. A CW can not safely stand in red while reviving (even with a tank and healer) or the CW may be knocked down and revive will be interrupted. To reliably revive, the CW should not stand in red or in fireball path. Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth are unlikely to help to revive other players in EloL, final boss fight, second half. I chose that part of eLoL as an example, because, in my opinion, it's the most difficult part.

I actually play a CW, a renegade CW. When I queue into a random eLoL party, I always use shield on tab for the final boss fight.
    Why? because I can be multi-hit with no chance to stand up. Shield is more reliable protection than the random Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth because I know if the shield is diminished or not. Furthermore, the occasional healing from Chaos magic (and any other healing) makes Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth somewhat redundant. Since shield only reduces incoming damage and does not heal, shield is not redundant with Chaos magic. There is no wasted healing with shield.

IF you think shield is "giving up a lot of damage" and is a bad idea?, then why would you recommend Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth instead of Elven Ferocity + Shadowtouch?

I agree that less damage can be a problem in dungeons, especially at eToS final boss fight. If a CW chooses Elven Ferocity + Shadowtouch, then he potentially has more dps. And if survival is a problem, he can use shield or change companion. But if the CW chooses Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth, he can not switch to Elven Ferocity + Shadowtouch during a dungeon run if more dps is needed.

To summarize: Shield > Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth because shield does not require respec to use or not use, and because shield is not redundant with other healing, although it is redundant with other damage protection.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Elven Ferocity and Shadowtouch account for 1% or less damage. Giving up shield for a 4th encounter however does a lot more. The healing from those 2 boons are very much reliable. They are awesome boons and I would take them over any other damage boon.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    sangrine said:

IF you think shield is "giving up a lot of damage" and is a bad idea?, then why would you recommend Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth instead of Elven Ferocity + Shadowtouch?

Because COI on tab lets you build chill stacks and does decent damage on its own. It accounts for more damage than either of the damage boons.

But you play a CW so you would know this, right?
    sangrine said:

To summarize: Shield > Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth because shield does not require respec to use or not use, and because shield is not redundant with other healing, although it is redundant with other damage protection.

The only way for any of your healing to be consistent enough is to increase your chances of getting a random heal because all your heals are random. They're not redundant because they don't always trigger.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    I've never noticed any significant survivabilty difference when using shield.
  • Options
    urabask said:

Because COI on tab lets you build chill stacks and does decent damage on its own. It accounts for more damage than either of the damage boons.

But you play a CW so you would know this, right?.

Since you don't play a CW, yet have strong opinions about how CW powers work, I will explain something to you.
    Any CW can apply chill stacks and all other CW can benefit from those chill stacks.

No, COI, by itself, does very poor damage.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    sangrine said:

urabask said:

But you play a CW so you would know this, right?.

Since you don't play a CW, yet have strong opinions about how CW powers work, I will explain something to you.
    Any CW can apply chill stacks and all other CW can benefit from those chill stacks.

No, COI, by itself, does very poor damage.
    Seriously? If you've got decent crit COI pops on everything and should cover your screen in crits, storm spell procs and lostmauth procs ...

And yes, I play a CW. 2.8k now because I sold my enchants in anticipation of the tradebar changes otherwise I'd be around 3k.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    urabask said:

The only way for any of your healing to be consistent enough is to increase your chances of getting a random heal because all your heals are random. They're not redundant because they don't always trigger.

There are companions which offer consistent healing.

Chaos magic offers somewhat consistent healing.
    1/3 of time is direct healing
    1/3 of time is +10% lifesteal chance = more healing from lifesteal
    1/3 of time is +30% critical chance. more damage = bigger heal when lifesteal proc.

Chaos magic will boost healing for everyone in party.

1/3 of time (+30% critical chance) is the most dangerous time, from my experience.
    During this time, I rely on my normal lifesteal chance to heal me.
    It's during this time when I can benefit from Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth.
    Other 2/3 of time, Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth are redundant and not needed to heal me.

My proposal is to use 3 DoT powers: Conduit of Ice + icy terrain + fanning the flame
    By using (at least) 3 DoT, I get more consistent lifesteal procs than using non-DoT powers.
    The lifesteal procs are small heals but, as we both seem to agree, consistent healing is better than non-consistent.
    Post edited by sangrine on
  • Options
    urabask said:

Seriously? If you've got decent crit COI pops on everything and should cover your screen in crits, storm spell procs and lostmauth procs ...

storm spell and lostmauth are not COI.
  • Options
    aulduron said:

Do you know how shield works? Just checking your CW knowledge.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    sangrine said:

urabask said:

storm spell and lostmauth are not COI.
    But COI procs them ... a lot and it adds and maintains chill stacks. That's why you keep it on even in a single target rotation.
    sangrine said:

There are companions which offer consistent healing.

And unless they can proc bonding runestones fast and not die all the time they're not worth using. This also requires at least three greater bonding runestones to be worth it.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Elven Ferocity and Shadowtouch account for 1% or less damage. Giving up shield for a 4th encounter however does a lot more. The healing from those 2 boons are very much reliable. They are awesome boons and I would take them over any other damage boon.

If you are not a Renegade, then I can imagine that Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth are significant healing for you.
    Elven Ferocity and Shadowtouch might be 1% or less damage for you, but not for all CW.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    urabask said:

And unless they can proc bonding runestones fast and not die all the time they're not worth using. This also requires at least three greater bonding runestones to be worth it.

We are talking about survivability now.
    If you can't survive any other way, except to use a healer companion, then using a healer companion is ABSOLUTELY worth it, whether or not you have bonding runestones.

I sometimes use the angel of protection when soloing HE's. It has no gear at all, but definitely increases my survivability.
    It usually does not get attacked. But it can die by standing in red. If it dies, it auto-revives in 5 sec or so?

If I am in a T1/T2 dungeon and we are at final boss, and there is no healer, I will put shield on tab and summon the angel.
    What else can I do to survive? Sure, I could respec my CW to be better healer/tank, but then I am building my CW for a rare situation, and not for the normal dungeon run with a healer. If I reduce dps too much, then maybe I have trouble in eToS or in Tiamat or maybe in the new module 8 boss fight.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    delete

• Options
    sangrine said:

If you are not a Renegade, then I can imagine that Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth are significant healing for you.
    Elven Ferocity and Shadowtouch might be 1% or less damage for you, but not for all CW.

I've respecced my CW about a 100 times (actual number, not exaggerating) and payed very close attention to how each combination with the exception of full oppressor (still wen't for Icy Veins) feels. If Shadowtouch and Elven Ferocity are accounting for more than 1%-1% each of your total damage, then you're doing way less damage with other sources. The time you win by using the healing boons by them letting you survive, leads to far more damage than any of those 2 damage dealing boons could ever give to you.
  • Options

I've respecced my CW about a 100 times (actual number, not exaggerating) and payed very close attention to how each combination with the exception of full oppressor (still wen't for Icy Veins) feels. If Shadowtouch and Elven Ferocity are accounting for more than 1%-1% each of your total damage, then you're doing way less damage with other sources. The time you win by using the healing boons by them letting you survive, leads to far more damage than any of those 2 damage dealing boons could ever give to you.

This discussion is mainly about heal/damage boons in dungeons, not in pvp.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    sangrine said:

aulduron said:

Do you know how shield works? Just checking your CW knowledge.

Of course. I've been playing this class since the beginning. I can dodge well enough to not need shield. When I face new challenges (like when mod 6 came out) I can't beat, I try it with shield, but always end up beating it without.
  • Options
    sangrine said:

This discussion is mainly about heal/damage boons in dungeons, not in pvp.
    Everything he said applies to PvE too ..
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • Options
    urabask said:

Everything he said applies to PvE too ..

Thank you, it was meant to be a general thing.
  • Options
    flyingleonflyingleon Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    I think for most of players healing boons are better as long as you need a soulforged. This mean you do fell in the combat and you have the moment "oh, <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>". I have not tested but I feel these two boons reset after soulforged triggered, which means they are a life saver.

Join the Greycloaks

Ana-GWF SM Destroyer | Farseer-CW MoF Renegade | Leon-GF SM Tactician
    Adrik Battlefate-DC DO Virtuous | Cassi Woodsheart-HR PF Trapper
  • Options
    umscheumsche Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 461 Arc User
    sangrine said:

urabask said:

Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth only have a small chance to proc on an incoming hit.
    As you would say, it's not a "consistent source of heals".
    You ever used them?
    Cause they proc at 100% when they're not on cooldown. They proc every time I get falling damage.

And 20k healing every minute on our 90k HP bar is way better than 20k damage every minute on our 30-40k damage per second.

• Options
    karamekoskaramekos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 47 Arc User
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback in the thread. I didn't examine several factors that were raised here. I clearly need to do some additional ACT analysis. I need to look at the data on lifesteal. I need to see how often I'm getting hit since I didn't factor in opportunity cost in my original analysis. My original analysis was focused on performance of my defensive boons versus other CWs with the offensive boons. My new hypothesis is if lifesteal is proccing adequately then I could probably drop Enraged Regrowth (the smaller of the two heals), but the gains from Elven Tranquility are numerically so much greater, with the number of times the boon proccs compared to Enraged Regrowth being about equal, I may need to keep that selected. I do slot the DoT powers as my default, so there may be a higher opportunity cost for damage generation in not taking Shadowtouched if I'm not getting hit enough to proc the Enraged Regrowth boon regularly.

Again, thank you to everyone contributing to the thread. I would not have known the next step to take in the analysis without this feedback.
  • Options
    umsche said:

Cause they proc at 100% when they're not on cooldown. They proc every time I get falling damage.

And 20k healing every minute on our 90k HP bar is way better than 20k damage every minute on our 30-40k damage per second.

I am testing both Elven tranquility and Enraged regrowth on preview server right now.
    They do not proc every time on falling damage! Cooldown?? What cooldown?