test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Trade Chat Spam - Still a thing

stpensivestpensive Member Posts: 286 Arc User
edited November 2015 in Player Feedback (Xbox One)
After 'BanGate', and in-game chat was restored, AD chat spam did not seem to skip a beat. Im sure that the sting of getting banned will have an affect on demand, but it does not seem to be going away in total.

Cryptic may want to consider 'deputizing' some players for one ability alone, to silence \ ban chat spammers. Have some nominal vetting process (be in a guild, account is X days old, have X character(s) @ 70, etc), and the deputization only last X time where a deputy would need to re-apply. I would enjoy sitting in PE for an hour silencing \ banning the garbage. If you put a month of VIP behind being a deputy, spam would be eradicated instantly. Hell, make it a profession\campaign; would love to tell my mates, 'I need to ban two more pieces of trash and I get my last Deputy badge \ boon'.

I understand the inherent problems with giving such power to players but some 'out of the box' thinking needs to happen to combat this effectively.
Post edited by stpensive on

Comments

• Options
    deathbringer#1709 deathbringer Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    What do you mean by chat spam? The only thing I see now is people looking for groups, and of course people trying to recruit to their guilds. Is that what you mean by chat spam?

If it is, then why are you complaining about that? All this talk about telling people to form groups before dungeons to aoid getting kicked and stuff, but then complain that they are trying to form groups? Doesn't make since. Then those advertising their guild, is the same concept. They want to grow and complete Strongholds, which is the right thing to do.

Then you have those posting for trades, which I have done as well so there is nothing wrong with that. There is an option to use a "trade" prefix in chat. So there is every right to post trades.

But if somehow you still see website spam from AD dealers, which I have not seen at all since it was fixed, then none of my statement applies to you. And if you do see AD site spam then that really sucks, and I hope I don't see it. Granted I still have my chat to only see "guild", "tell", "group", and sometimes "trade", so I may not be seeing it for that reason.
  • Options
    meliboo#4082 meliboo Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    Yea LFG spam is crazy, but its understandable. Those without a guild like to form groups beforehand
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    What do you mean by chat spam? The only thing I see now is people looking for groups, and of course people trying to recruit to their guilds. Is that what you mean by chat spam?
    No, that is not what I mean...

In PE, turn on the Trade chat for any length of time and you will see it... Countless website adverts for AD.

And for the record, I am not a fan of seeing LFG or (legit) Trade in the Zone channel either; it's not what it is for and there are dedicated channels for such things. The argument made for people posting trade info in Zone is the spam jam in the Trade channel (see where I am going here?).

Another reason for posting in Zone is that you want to make sure you stuff is noticed ('Cheapest on AH!!!'). It's obnoxious and an abuse of the designed purpose of Zone: 'Heroic/dragon is up' (subsequent invites as a result), 'where do I find X?', 'how do I get Y for current event?', etc.
  • Options
    Do what most people do and only active the certain chats you actually use. When I am in PE I usually only have "guild" active. In other instances I have "guild", "Tell", and "Zone". I hardly ever use "trade" at all.
  • Options
    edited November 2015

I hardly ever use "trade" at all.

Well, if you post trade info in other public channels, that's (likely) in reaction to the problem in Trade; not a sound solution IMHO.
  • Options
    Oh, no. I just have everything I need/want, so I don't NEED to use "trade" at all. Hence why I said I don't use it.
  • Options
    angerfistxxxangerfistxxx Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    Just because some people "turn off" the trade channel, does not mean that it is not a problem. It is a HUGE problem. New people login and are inundated with a deluge of spam in the trade channel with cryptic codes referring them to websites that sell gold for real money. It's really sad that they do nothing about this problem. The trade channel should be usable by players. As it currently stands, it is unusable due to the RMT spam. They are also spamming the LFG channel, so don't even try to say that it's not a problem because you turn off that channel.

Solutions are simple.
    1. Only allow one line of text to be broadcast every 5-10 seconds.
    2. Disable broadcasting the same message right after it was sent.
    3. Have some real GMs in-game banning the spammers.
    4. Restrict trade channel chat to level 40.
    5. Lockout IP addresses of known RMTs.
    6. Coordinate with Microsoft to prevent people from playing Neverwinter with a gamer score below 500-1000.
    7. Post actual banned account lists for players to see that you are actually combatting the RMT problem.
    8. Don't hide behind some made up privacy concerns when players report RMT activity. Tell us that you are taking action and not ignoring our compalints.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    If you turn off the trade channel, then it is not a problem you have to deal with. Should they fix it? Yes of course. But they have tried and failed multiple times. So until the actually fix it, save yourself the time and hassle and turn the trade channel off.
    Post edited by deathbringer#1709 on
  • Options

If you turn off the channel, then it is not a problem you have to deal with. Should they fix it? Yes of course. But they have tried and failed multiple times. So until the actually fix it, save yourself the time and hassle and turn the channel off.

So your solution it to turn off all public chat... Brilliant.

• Options
    No just Trade chat, did I say anything about the others in the comment you quoted? @stpensive
  • Options
    edited November 2015

No just Trade chat, did I say anything about the others in the comment you quoted? @stpensive

But since trade \ website spam is in every public channel, that is what would logically follow based on your Trade solution.

• Options
    Trade is it's own specific channel. What are you talking about?
  • Options
    edited November 2015

Website spam is occurring in every public channel, Zone, LFG, Trade... If your solution is to disable any and all channels where the spam is happening (see prior sentence), ipso facto, one would have to disable all public channels.
  • Options
    yourenext2dieyourenext2die Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    Report it as in game spam and that GT will be added to your ignore list and you will no longer see the spamming from that person. Wait out the CD and then report the next one doing the majority of spamming. You will notice your chat window clear up fairly quickly.
    Super Saiyan God- TR Lvl 70 (PVP)
    Unleash The Wolves- HR Lvl 70 (PVE)
    <font color="Aquamarine">"Non-Pay-To-Win"</font>
    I hunt GWF "Magik" on sight.
  • Options
    It's a never ending battle however, smh.
  • Options
    beastpro#5299 beastpro Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    I only see website spam on the Trade channel, so I too simply turned it off. Simply fix, until the devs get a grip on those website spammers.
  • Options

Report it as in game spam and that GT will be added to your ignore list and you will no longer see the spamming from that person. Wait out the CD and then report the next one doing the majority of spamming. You will notice your chat window clear up fairly quickly.

Ignore this, nothing ever works accordingly. -___-