test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] A malware that is affecting only Neverwinter.

klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
edited October 2015 in Peer to Peer Tech Forum
Greetings everyone,
The malware I'm talking about is DNS unlocker, I'm sure many have heard it before. This malware pops up random advertising pages at-will and generally infects browsers.
Now here's the issue I'm having.
I don't know when I catched this malware (or how) the first time, anyways, I managed to remove it a few weeks ago with uninstall and Malwarebytes and my browsers did not have any more issues.
To my surprise this malware also infected the Neverwinter Launcher, there are mainly two things I notice it does:

1) The word version of "Launcher version" is underscored with a strange icon next to it and has a link attached (I didn't click it of course). This happens only if Firefox is the default browser, with Chrome this does not happen, but the problems described below persist.
2) When I click the play button, my browser starts, and opens up a single web page full of adds.
3) Sometimes (but this does not happen often), I have a random crash error with launcher. After a restart it does a file verification (that does not really fix anything) and the game runs normally.

At first I thought this was simply a "leftover" of the damage done by the malware so I uninstalled and reinstalled Neverwinter, and it fixed the issue. So I thought everything was concluded.

To my surprise, today (after the ARC maintentance) I launch Neverwinter and I see that DNS unlocker is again back on my computer. This after a month I didn't have it, and I haven't installed or downloaded anything in this computer today.

I repeated the malwarebytes scan again to fix it, but this time I found nothing.
I tried even with Roguekiller and nothing.
I uninstalled DNS unlocker (again) and my browsers or any other programs are not showing any sign of infection, but Neverwinter has started showing the symptons described above once again.

Now, this by itself would be no big problem and it doesn't seem to affect my gameplay that much (unless it's causing part of the in-game lag issues I'm having), however I'm afraid that the longer this goes, the more compromised my security will be. So I'd like to find a definitive solution for this.

P.S. I notice that ARC has in its folder an old version of Shockwave Flash plugin that is causing conflicts in Mozilla Firefox (it's showing both versions), I wonder if this could be part of the issue as Flash is known for its security vulnerabilities.
Post edited by klangeddin on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I've just had another of those crashes, so I decided to take a screenshot to better illustrate the problem described above.

• Options
    phr3dx13phr3dx13 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    log into your router and check that it has the proper dns settings, as well as checking any other dns settings for browsers.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    It seems to be all in order. (about the DNS, the problem is still persisting)
  • Options
    phr3dx13phr3dx13 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited October 2015

It seems to be all in order. (about the DNS, the problem is still persisting)

Are you sure? Almost the same exact thing happened to me, and it turned out to be a dns hijacker. If not, i recommend using multiple portable/free malware/virus scanners.
    http://www.eset.com/us/free-trial/
    https://www.avast.com/index
    https://www.safer-networking.org/private/
    http://www.combofix.org/
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    @phr3dx13

My DNS setting in router and windows were 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.8.4, the Google DNS servers and there is no change in the local hosts files of the browsers. (has the Rhino and Acme on default examples and local hosts 127.ecc)
    I changed the DNS to Norton security servers and the problem persists.
    Unless you can be more specific to point me to what else could be the issue I see nothing wrong with browser and router DNS settings.

I have run Avast and it detects nothing with quick scan, folder scan and full system scan. It also does not give any warning messages when I launch Neverwinter (and have the usual problem) with the "shields" turned on.
    Now that's the third piece of software I use to track down the malware that gives no results, I'm truly baffled at what could be the problem.

I suppose uninstalling Neverwinter and re-installing would fix the problem temporarily like the last time I did, but still, I'd like to find a permanent solution.
  • Options
    wickedactionwickedaction Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I don't know if this helps, but hope it does. Just recently I read an article online about computer hijacking. Without too much detail. It shows how they get a file onto a persons computer. Which then uses task scheduler to launch the file. Which gives them elevated privileged access to your computer. Using this method, they could then install an exe which launches at start up via task scheduler, which the exe then can install anything it is set to install from a cloud server. It also can monitor computer and reinstall that program if it is removed. Which sounds exactly what your describing. And this type of hijacking is not detectable by anti virus software. Can't remember where it was posted, will look for it. You might also want to check on it. Will post again when I find it. Again, don't know if this is what your dealing with. But might be worth checking into.