test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Strongest Solo PvE class?

belliozbellioz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
Just curious. I'd like to start a character that can clear things easily, and quickly.

I've tried pretty much every class, I've never actually seen end game (personally), or BiS or any of that. I'm not really interested in BiS clear times for things etc. I'm talking more along the lines of a "from start to finish" perspective. Such as; I'm going to be playing through from scratch. No high end character to feed me diamonds or gold. Probably going to be using mostly green gear, blues here and there from dungeons drops and seals when I can.

Right now I have a low level OP and DC. I've heard damage for the OP drops off big time as you progress, and DC damage at the point I'm at with it, is next to nothing, and been told it never really improves even when specced into the feat tree that adds damage. But, I really like being able to survive anything.

So I'm looking for something with much better damage, but maybe still some way to survive. I want to be able to play for free, burn through non dungeon content by myself, etc.

So what is the strongest solo class as far as just powering through the game? Please try to give as much information as you can on why.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited October 2015 Answer ✓
    OP said solo non dungeon play.
    For that, you dont really need an OP, you will have hard time after lv 40-45 because of the lack of dps. If you want to burn through content fast, paladin is not your choice. If you dont mind the slow progress, paladin is your friend, because it can survive anything. But I wouldn't recommend it. Concueror GF is bot bad, a little more dps and has good selfhealing ability with Daily. But it lacks AOE damage, and you wont end much better than OP.

For campaigns etc. my first choice would be the GWF. Good damage and survivibility. But you need decent hp, because you are a melee, after you hit 70 you will have a little harder time until you get some HP. At lv 70 you might want at least some T1 equipment from dungeons for the HP.
    You can go with a Renegade CW as well. Its selfhealing and nice variability with encounters give him the opportunity to go through any content. Will have a little harder time with lair bosses though. I wouldnt rule out an oppressor, or a thaum/oppressor for solo. You can freeze everything with it, but your selfhealing goes away. Oppressor will have a very hard time with controlresist mobs, escpesially in IWD, so I'd go with renegade.
    Trapper HR is nice also, good damage and control. Takes a little more practice IMO. And its not too good in low levels, until you get the trapper feats (until lv 50) TR with any feat-path is viable, the stealth makes you nearly unkillable, and it's fun. You can solve any encounter with it moderatily fast. You are very squishy out of stealth though, so you need dodge a lot.
    DPS DC is not a really bad choice either, it has high survivibility and decent dps. However, due to its poor encounter targetting abilities (circle on floor) I wouldnt recommend this class. I had slower progression with it from 60-70 than with other dps classes.
    I would not Choose SW, until high levels it's the worst for solo, very squishy, no real aoe damage or control. Puppet does not help much in solo, even with damnation build.

You can go with some defender companion, it might mean the difference between succes and failure. (basic man at arms is good enough, or you can buy mimic cheap, or farm yeti), That helps if you choose HR,CW or TR. Healer for GWF.
    At high level lairs you may suffer a bit with any class at first, until you figure it out or get better equipment. The OP or GF might be better here, but it takes a lot of time with them. After your GWF/CW/HR reach a relatively good IL (1,6-2K) it will be faster with them.

All in all, every player has his preference, as the comments above suggest. GWF, CW, HR, TR would be all a good choice, IMO, all have ways to survive, and have enough dps so the game won't became frustrating. So you might want to try them, or take a look at them on youtube or whatever. Because It's a game, and you have to choose the class, that fits your playstyle, or the game will be no fun at all.
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.

Answers

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I would give OP with Prot. path and Justice feats a try.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    "powering through the game", if you mean to hit level 70, in my experience the best is the destroyer GWF, it literally murders everything on its path (faster than the paladin) and can dash too. The more it fights, the stronger it becomes, so there's also the incentive on chaining monsters over and over, especially since it's not reliant on encounters and can deal with groups with at-will easily if the right buffs are going. Then there's Hidden Daggers that makes the solo PvE even faster.
    There may be problems with surviving campaign contents (IWD and WoD) at first, but with superior gear the solo murder should resume eventually.

If you mean who is the strongest class single-handedly that can complete any content with less trouble, the paladin (any spec, really) would be the obvious answer.
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 305 Arc User
    Depends, how much money have you got to spend? ;)
  • ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    Swordmaster Destroyer. Everything is dead by the time they drain your temp HP.

Nothing compares in terms of DPS. They can even solo HEs due to their insane DPS.
  • drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
    ghoulz66 wrote: »

Nothing compares in terms of DPS. They can even solo HEs due to their insane DPS.

Ummm... I know a lot of players who use other classes and solo HEs. In fact with my Scoundrel I have solo'd some of the kidnapped HEs in SH. So... this is not a great impossible thing to do.

I would have to say an OP... any build.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Gwf
  • schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    SM GWF by far, with some lifesteal you do pretty good even low geared
    Classfeature Weaponmastery+offhandfeat is 15%+critchance as I remember

Selfbuffs are that redicules high:
    Destroyer feature , daggers 40%, daring shout 20%, Weapon master strike

Get Vorp + lolset
    At 3k GS 30% from overall damage is dealt by lolset
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    I have personally played TR, CW, HR and GWF from scratch to average gear to BiS. I'd have to say TR sab is the overall strongest solo PvE class.

Damage wise, destroyer GWF will win this category hands down. However survivability wise, GWF will probably come last out of the 4 classes that I've mentioned, especially since you said you're not interested in being BiS, I think you'll find yourself quite squishy especially if you start running some dungeons with not very experienced players.

As for the other classes, I would say their damage are all quite close, a CW may do more damage in one situation, but HR or TR may do more in another. But if you ask which one will get you to the finish line first, then TR has a big advantage of slotting sneak attack, and running pass all the mobs. Also due to the stealth mechanism, TR should have the least amount of death.

For end game content, I'd say my TR and HR can solo pretty much all medium-big HEs pretty comfortably, CW's probably the most annoying as I find the cast time of some aoe's take too long and I have to dodge a lot more, but GWF is probably the most fun since I can actually die a lot if I make mistakes and I feel that's how the game should be played.

So my conclusion, if you want easy mode, pick TR. For the most fun and able to do more damage than any other class even if they have better gear, then GWF. CW and HR would be somewhere in the middle.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Ive leveled most classes as well, I would go with GWF, they have never, really been bad for most of the game, other then I guess Beta, which I wasnt in , but since middle of 2013, the GWF has always been a fairly viable class, sometimes sent, sometimes destroy tree.

• schweifer1982schweifer1982 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,662 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    GF conq 2th biggest dps in this game second strogest tank also a good buffer super self heal immune to dmg .
    All in one . After lvl60 you can do anything even IWD HE-s solo in reasonable time ofc.

Paladin is a good tank but nothing more . (true with slug and ap necklace + DC art you can make your team immortal.)
    (if you want some noticeable dps you cant go to tia HE cuz any one will hate y)

But when you go solo dps is a big part to make you progress quicker so paladins dont have really good dps.

With GWF you will feal your self squishy in the early lvl's but after you get some rank 11-12 enchants perfect vorpal and you made your self almost bis it shine but i ask what class cannot shine after 3,6-4xx Ilvl?
    GWF 3700Ilvl Éjsötét & ProPala 3200Ilvl Menydörgés (main) & Szürkefarkas 2600 ilvl
  • thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    Paladin is not the strongest solo PVE class, as I do not play all of them, I cannot tell you which one specifically is the strongest solo, but it isn't paladin. My CW is more powerful alone, for all intents and purposes. Yes, a paladin is really good at keeping a group alive and at staying alive himself, easily able to tank HE's, but with enough gear, so can other classes and the difference is, with that gear, those other classes will clear much faster. My CW for example is much better at running around solo and doing dailies because he has a faster clear time on monsters.
    drkbodhi said:

Ummm... I know a lot of players who use other classes and solo HEs. In fact with my Scoundrel I have solo'd some of the kidnapped HEs in SH. So... this is not a great impossible thing to do.

Funny, does your TR clean it out in under 5 min or blows through most of the time limit? The man asked for the class who can clear em quickly, not one who can do it within the time limit.

• thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

drkbodhi said:

Funny, does your TR clean it out in under 5 min or blows through most of the time limit? The man asked for the class who can clear em quickly, not one who can do it within the time limit.

For solo play, its really not the OP class. This becomes evident when you try to do something like solo elol. I can do it on both CW and OP, the difference is, on CW, I can do it in a reasonable time frame. A protection OP does lots of damage via reflect and not directly via its encounters and the only way to generate enough damage via reflect for it to be really powerful is to be in a party and absorbing their damage. Devotion OP generates damage via burning guidance and guess what, burning guidance only works when you heal allies. When you see insane damage numbers on either paragon, its because they in a party. Don't get me wrong, they can still "slow and steady wins the race" any pve content, including things like solo eCC if they patient and got good enough gear (gods it would be boring though) and sure enough, my CW could never do that. However, most people when playing alone are not trying to solo dungeons, thats only a small minority of us and for solo play outside of dungeons, you simply do not need that level of survivability. You can sacrifice a great deal of it in fact and play a class like CW, HR, GWF, SW, DC, GF or TR and do a lot more damage and still have decent enough survivability for solo play.

In a group setting in pve paladin is the uncontested number 1 class in the game, with a very wide gap between them and second, but when playing solo excluding for the purposes of soloing t2 dungeons, there is room for sacrificing defense for more offense.

ghoulz66 said:

drkbodhi said:

For solo play, its really not the OP class. This becomes evident when you try to do something like solo elol. I can do it on both CW and OP, the difference is, on CW, I can do it in a reasonable time frame. A protection OP does lots of damage via reflect and not directly via its encounters and the only way to generate enough damage via reflect for it to be really powerful is to be in a party and absorbing their damage. Devotion OP generates damage via burning guidance and guess what, burning guidance only works when you heal allies. When you see insane damage numbers on either paragon, its because they in a party. Don't get me wrong, they can still "slow and steady wins the race" any pve content, including things like solo eCC if they patient and got good enough gear (gods it would be boring though) and sure enough, my CW could never do that. However, most people when playing alone are not trying to solo dungeons, thats only a small minority of us and for solo play outside of dungeons, you simply do not need that level of survivability. You can sacrifice a great deal of it in fact and play a class like CW, HR, GWF, SW, DC, GF or TR and do a lot more damage and still have decent enough survivability for solo play.

In a group setting in pve paladin is the uncontested number 1 class in the game, with a very wide gap between them and second, but when playing solo excluding for the purposes of soloing t2 dungeons, there is room for sacrificing defense for more offense.

He said solo PVE..... An OP will not come even close to the DPS of a GWF reflecting damage nor will a CW unless they're better geared. Pack on some LS on a GWF, see how easy the WoD lairs become vs a squishy CW attempting them.

• ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I love the gameplay of the GWF, but I'm not sure that it has the survivability of the OP. My level 64 OP may take a year to kill everything, but it's not dying to anything short of a point blank nuke to the face.

Of course that will change with Mod 8.
  • belliozbellioz Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I actually ended up trying the GWF. Early on it didn't feel as squishy as I thought it would be, as was told. I went swordmaster, and once you get weapon master strike I pretty much just destroy whole groups in a handful of swipes followed up by an encounter or two. I definitly feel like I clear out packs of mobs very fast, faster then I was with other classes (at least up until 35). If I'm ever in danger I usually just swig a potion, and that resolves any problems.

I went down the destroyer path, and still feel quite tanky. Have been using both the healer companion, and the guard dog that came with the free cash shop purchase bundle. Early on I have to say I would recommend the tanking companion for the extra damage, and the fact they at least shield you from one mob as you deal with the weaker ones. Where I've been using the healer more frequently on skirmishes and dungeon runs where often times, the team does not have a tank or healing class, and I'm usually at the forefront of getting aggro due to all the AoE.

I really feel my only issue with the class is it's defensive mechanic (no damage reduction or extra deflection while running? No possibility of evasion or dodge?). I really feel like it's possibly one of the weakest, as far as PvE goes. But, it's a god send in some places where you can dash through much faster, gather everything up, and AoE them all down.

I would lean alot more heavily towards the Guardian if he had more AoE early on. I love the shield play style. You feel super tanky, and the way you play it is very straight forwards. I may still start one up. I really felt the damage was pretty good. Not sure how it pans out later. Since I've seen the arguments that paladins still do more damage supposedly.

I didn't get the HR far enough to really see any of its potential. Since as soon as I got melee weapons, I felt ultra squishy, and just wanted to hang back and spam split shot from safety, since melee felt so weak, and I got hit like I was naked. I've heard later on it feels much better, and I actually liked the quick dodge mechanic. It didn't go super far, but just far enough to get you out, and then back into the action.

TR felt really great until I realized I don't have any reliable AoE for quite awhile, making me feel weak when you have groups of 5+ rushing you. Other then that though, it felt VERY strong early on. Able to shred the tougher enemies with a handful of attacks.

SW? No thanks. Hardly any damage, takes longer then the cleric to kill things, and with no way to really heal until later (through lifesteal, which I heard was bugged or nerfed into the ground), and the curse mechanic feels really tacked on, to tacked on imo.

CW was fun for awhile. But, I felt like you spend half your time moving away from enemies rather then doing damage. Constantly trying to freeze them, then follow up with a flurry of encounters and repeating the process of moving away. Probably great in a group though.

So I guess GWF is for me. Thanks for all the input guys! :smiley:
    best solo PVE class?
    too many words in this thread, easy to answer
    just look at Lazalias videos made with a high crit GWF, nothing more to say

https://youtu.be/Zy1EcGIeFV8
  • blazious11blazious11 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 331 Arc User
    edited October 2015

best solo PVE class?
    too many words in this thread, easy to answer
    just look at Lazalias videos made with a high crit GWF, nothing more to say

ANY class with BIS equipment is like a god. Yeah, it's easiest to solo HE-s with GWF, but it's doable with other dps classes too.
    But the op question wasnt about bis charakters.
    Post edited by blazious11 on
    My story is truly a grand tale! Of course, any story about me is going to be grand simply by virtue of the main character.
    ok but i can do things in no time with my 2,3 GWF 3 times faster than other classes
    so its the best solo class by far imo
    ogarious said:

I love the gameplay of the GWF, but I'm not sure that it has the survivability of the OP. My level 64 OP may take a year to kill everything, but it's not dying to anything short of a point blank nuke to the face.

Of course that will change with Mod 8.

Trust me, the survivability isn't a problem. Once you get like 10%+ LS and your crit and weapon enchant high you become a monster. They might get your health down for a moment but you pop unstoppable and you just get it all back with LS and restoring strike. I can even take down the WoD lair bosses, IWD HEs/Biggrin.

My GWF is only 2.3-2.4k.

• pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    After basically leveling gwf,HR,DC and SW to 70 i'd say gwf for sure was the easier one.
  • feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble, overcompensating one, but with my HR I've soloed every 15+ HE in the stronghold.
    edited October 2015
    null
    Level every + instance in WoD and IWD and come back
    SH is far easier, and can be done by lots oft classes, esp caster classes...even warlock
    Sry to burst your bubble