test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's wrong with this game?

guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
I have been reading these forums (not just the foundry stuff) and I have come to the conclusion that many players are only interested in building the strongest character they can for PvP. This is supposed to be Dungeons & Dragons, not teken or mortal combat. Any comments?

Comments

• Options
    yoschimo83yoschimo83 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14 Arc User
    pvp in this game has no balance so why playing pvp? to get killed several times by a higher geared player and feed em!
  • Options
    guitarzan698guitarzan698 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    If you read some of the general forums you will see what I mean. Most of the comments sound like they are playing the stock market.. not a role playing or adventure game. The Foundry seems to be a simple way to beat this intrinsic problem.... yet this company doesn't understand that. The whole "bring whatever you got" mentality to the PvP should tell everybody that all the characters are geared differently.. and some will just be better against a particular opponent. There is really no way to make it totally even... yet the player base doesn't seem to be interested an any storyline or roleplaying at all. The primary concern seems to be building the toughest character you can and then go dominate in PvP. Granted, I enjoy that 'arena' aspect of this game but, in my humble opinion, I think it's the wrong direction for any Dungeons & Dragons game. I suppose you can blame on my age.. I've been playing D&D since the early 70's... and this seems so different from the game I love. I've owned and played every version of the game that was developed by Tactical Studies Rules. I played 'Warlord of Mars' and everything since.... and this game has always been centered around combat.. but it was used as a vehicle to further roleplay and adventures. Somehow, PWE, a fine company out of Bejing, has managed to tarnish the legacy of Gary Gygax and the gang from Wisconsin.

I would suppose it's up to the players themselves to help with this problem. The company does not seem interested in putting much more effort into the Foundry but at least I'm interested in the Foundry and apparently I'm not the only one. It's a fascinating and wonderful toolset for building adventures Now, if I can only wait until the player base is tired of the grind and treadmill this game has become... I'll just wait until they decide to give the Foundry a fair try...

This game, in any version, has always consisted of two components. A dungeon master and players. The developers of this game have, for the most part, taken the role of dungeon master. The Foundry was put in this game to allow the consumer try their hand at that role as well. The player base and PWE must support this or this game will fail. Players will tire of the grind and move on to different games, no matter how much money they have spent. Already, there are new games about to hit the market that will take advantage of the chance that PWE seems to be letting slip away....

I, for one, have already invested hundreds of hours into this game... I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

I think I'll go play a few foundry quests.
  • Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    my first quest (in sig) has [Chaotic] and [Lawful] dialog options. If you crave that D&D feel. ;D
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User

yet the player base doesn't seem to be interested an any storyline or roleplaying at all.

"Know your audience". If you want to make stuff with storyline/roleplaying, and think the NWO player base does not value that, you need to find somewhere with an audience that values that. I'll use the 2 million accounts PWE stated NWO had in a press release back after launch. That sounds great right? I make some awesome story/RP in Foundry and the audience is 2 million people! That's not actually true. If only five out of those two million people care about story/rp, then your audience is 5. You can't make those other two million people care about your content.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.