test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

13 Hour downtime on 13th.

dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
I got notification about this dowtime via mail.Why isnt there any news on the forum?This should be announced as big as those patch notes.

Comments

• Options
    hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    sarcasm/on "its the armageddon" sarcasm/off but who knows???
  • Options
    zukn75zukn75 Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    It won't matter it all ends on the 11th, I've seen it man.
    (Dons tinfoil hat and shuffles off)
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1205734/pe-zone-chat-just-noticed
  • Options
    cesukecesuke Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    Great !! I wish Lag is over !!
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I think they just haven't had time to post anything official here yet. I hadn't heard about it at all until I saw it on Reddit then checked my email. I will see if Andy or Alex can post something official here soon.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Thought it was the arc client that was going down
    and not the game?
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    An official announcement will be posted soon, but yes, there is a 13 hour downtime and will affect Neverwinter.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User

Because it was PWE Email not a Cryptic Email, so they are apparently either migrating to upgraded Servers or Upgrading the current servers to give them 6 more weeks of life. Personally i am hoping for a Migration to A server cluster that was built sometime after 1996.​​

Haha, be careful what you wish for. Irony: a party member in an eCC run was crashing every few minutes -- his stated cause being that he's running Windows 10. Me, I'm running a highly extended version of Win2k (that I extended myself) and I'm running rock-solid.
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User

An official announcement will be posted soon, but yes, there is a 13 hour downtime and will affect Neverwinter.

I hope this "affecting" will be positive. Something more than downtime. Maybe lag fest will stop?
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• Options
    davejustdavedavejustdave Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    Click on "Arc News" at the top of the page. It affects all games and related sites. Sounds like a server upgrade to me. Maybe they are adding a bigger hamster.
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User

Click on "Arc News" at the top of the page. It affects all games and related sites. Sounds like a server upgrade to me. Maybe they are adding a bigger hamster.

Or a bigger wheel !
  • Options

Or a bigger wheel !
    Hmm. Interesting idea. A bigger wheel would certainly be less effort for the hamster so could led to a longer MTBFH* but on the other hand it would rotate more slowly so we might get a slightly slower response speed. It's a difficult IT decision for sure.

(* Mean Time Between Fatigued Hamster)
  • Options
    sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    I think the more important question is, will anyone really notice if Neverwinter is down for 13 hours......
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User
    13 hours of downtime on production systems. I guess that's a boon in the gaming industry.
    If we told our clients we'd be down for 13 hours, they would shoot us in the face.
    Grats on a complete lack of an SLA.
  • Options
    tassedethe13tassedethe13 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 806 Arc User
    If a 13H downtime can fix some lags, i'm OK with it. If it's like the same dance as after each module release ( you know, 1 more hour and it will be OK, 1 more hour, 1 more hour....) I will be pissed off. Let them have a chance to show us that the situation is under control.
  • Options
    deathbeezdeathbeez Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 789 Arc User

How many F2P games actually have an SLA these days?

Just to be clear, I'm not talking trash.
    I'm actually happy they don't have uptime requirements because they face constraints many IT firms don't. Like angry players hehe. Hey! You took my crit powers away, diiiieeee! It's a balancing act I would not want to have for a job.

I'd jump out a window if I had to read feedback from every customer using our product[s] on 6 continents.
    We hired some ex-MMO (some big and well-known) guys and the stories they told made me appreciate my job a lot more...

We deal alot with banks so anything below the 9s is not tolerable. Redundant systems is usually the preferred route (no pun intended) and they pay without blinking an eye.

• Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Are they moving?

I speculate it's an upgrade, not a downgrade.. Purely because of all the xbox money.
    Post edited by torontodave on
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    You all are speculating that this is going to be a positive change when more likely they have seen the dwindling server population across their games due to gross mismanagement and are forced to consolidate onto less expensive hardware and services. Downsizing if you will.
  • Options
    sm0ld3r said:

I think the more important question is, will anyone really notice if Neverwinter is down for 13 hours......

Yes, there will definitely be at least one person who will notice. They'll be on the forum 20 seconds after the server goes down explaining how their world has ended because they were not quite all the way through their invoking/profs/dungeon/farm/whatever. It's a different person each week but there is always at least one. They'll be preceded by someone else complaining that the Gateway went down 0.25 seconds earlier than announced, thus also ruining their world. It's a harsh game sometimes.... ;p

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    redundant system is not something you slap everywhere cuz you know we like redundancy... redundant system needs to be checked weekly like the working server and i think it needs to share informations about accounts with the official servers. I mean its clear its a big additional cost. When present its for secury reasons, economically sometimes but usually for the well being of the users.

i dont see the need for it in a mmo. its down for 13hr? its down for 13hr. Unemployment insurance for all that day.
  • Options
    coliercolier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    sm0ld3r said:

I will not notice it down (hopefully)...I am either Driving to work - At Work - and then Driving Home (1hr 45min commute each way) during those times they posted. But then again, when have they met solid deadline. I am just hoping the update/upgrade will be of a positive nature for the community. Well back to work lunch is over:)
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    If it fixes the server lag in areas like sh and dr , Im all in..

• Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    We can only hope that they are migrating to new servers, which is sorely needed. Anything else will result in the same old BS experience, like lag abound everywhere. I can't believe that content that came out in Mod 1 suffers from more lag than any other zone in this game (yes DR we are talking about you!!!). Hell they can take a full day to do their maintenance just so long as it improves the gaming experience - not make it worse or trivial.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    sasagerusasageru Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    I should be grateful that its on a work day, but cryptics work day starts midday for me :c so I guess no play time on that tuesday. Wonder why though...
    DPS Rogue | Heal/Buff Cleric

• Options
    instynctiveinstynctive Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,885 Arc User
    Why would it affect the forums? Sure, the header and footer are hosted by Arc, but we're all typing in a big ol' iframe that's being served by Vanilla...
    header.png
    "...I grab my wiener and charge!" - ironzerg79
  • Options
    dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    and all this time they've been saying the lag is my computer or networks fault. go figure.
This discussion has been closed.