test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A little help?

idishaidisha Member Posts: 6 Arc User
So I'm new to foundry and thought I had a simple fix to a larger problem. I'm working on an outdoor map and trying to put up a building. The trick is that the ground is contoured and the building isn't. So instead of having the building sitting ten fit in the air because part of the ground is sloped, I thought.. why not just bring it down on the y-axis and bury the backside in the dirt where no one sees it. Well.. the building disappeared. Solutions anyone?

Comments

• lovepeaslovepeas Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Welcome to the foundry! I can't wait to see your story.

What about placing the building on the highest part of the slope and then hiding the rest with a stone wall and some stairs going up? You may need to use a piece to place under the floaty bit. I like to use dirt covered rocks because it looks like the ground anyway.
    The Delusions Quartet
    Act 1: Nightmare on Market Street
    Act 2: My Best Friend's Evil Wedding
  • valcontar73valcontar73 Member Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Sometimes when you change the Y valor it goes mad and sets it to the max, you can go to the 2D editor and see if the house is still there with probably a maxed Y valor. You can change it again manually, and then come back to the 3D editor and fix it to the ground, or delete it, and drag another house to the map in the 2D editor, it always be at the correct altitude.

I usually use "stone walls" to hide the gaps between the house and the irregular terrain. It's tedious, but it gives a nice look.

NWS-DLXTNXRF2 - Angeline von Stein
    NWS-DOVA9JIJV - The Lost Seneschal
    NW-DT3221YUY - The Wildcross Bride

Foundry Grand Master.
  • melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    You can make foundation walls with other details. So if it is a farmhouse, use the stone fence to make a foundation that extends the walls into the sloped areas.

Another thing I have done with the keep walls is to turn them upside down (so the crenulations are hidden in the ground) and so you can have the walls level on a slope.

I've found if I shove buildings too far into slopes then you get weird things like windows being half buried and so forth.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ