test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Racial Identity Crisis

drkbodhidrkbodhi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,378 Arc User
edited September 2015 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
So my main, Atwil, was ORIGINALLY my pen & paper D&D tiefling rogue.

When I started NWO I tried making him a tiefling but was not happy about the ability score possibilities. So I chose to play a standard class... drow. Nothing against drow... I seriously love this race. I have spent the money for 3 appearance changes in an effort to make him look like he looks in my head. So... yesterday I went to the preview test server... and decided to change one of my Atwil versions there to a tiefling.

I know that I cannot be the only one who was dissatisfied with their initial racial decision. Share your stories here... what classes do you think SHOULD have been your character?

When I get a chance... this character WILL get a Race Reroll token. It is only right.​​
ez0sf4K.png
Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
Leadership Council of Civil Anarchy
SYNERGY Alliance
Post edited by zebular on

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Personally, I don't worry the slightest about "racial bonuses". I make my characters the race and class I want them to be from the start. If people want to say "well that's not the best race for that class" I'm like "so what?". In the end, I'd rather love my characters and have them be the race I want them to be than feel like I can't love them because of what race they are.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Yeah I don't anymore... but I did then.

Now I see it this way... his situation turned him into a rogue. He did not pick the situation, nor did he pick his race based on the ease of making his skill better. We don't get to pick and choose these things in life... why would he? He will be a tiefling because in my head he is a tiefling. I made a most awesome looking tiefling TR too. In fact I believe he fits the Scoundrel ideal much better than a drow TR would... in my eyes.

I did not care about it when I rolled him IRL... why would I know? Seriously... IDK.

It makes me look at my other characters with a different eye. It makes me wonder if the others would be the "wrong race"... seriously.

Now I have to change his history... lol... a little bit.

I don't RP, but I do like some aspects of RP on a character. Without knowledge of who the character is... how can you play him properly?

I guess you could choose the best race for the class you want to build.

His name is derived from a bastardization of things he could do naturally, 'At Will', what others could only do with years of training. He would willfully removed a bag of coins... imperceptibly... with no training. He would fight and defeat people twice his size with such ease and skill... skill he could not have mastered at his perceived age. He could release someone from the confines of life with one untrained, but perfect move.

He has no memory of family... like he was created or just happened.

That story suits many races, but I always saw tiefling when I wrote that.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    Atwil "At" - Tiefling TR / Saardush - Black Dragonborn GWF / White - Tiefling OP
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    urlord283urlord283 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    I am happy with mine

Always been a Human Fighter

Even when playing EMPT

A LONG time a go
  • Options
    dreamhuntressxdreamhuntressx Member Posts: 453 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    If that makes u happy and makes ur character more enjoyable, then reroll. If ure looking for better stats (be it for min~max purposes or not), then reroll. Ive never made a character that was not Human, but recently (a week ago), I decided to make my SW a Half-Elf and Im super happy with the results (both appearance and stats wise).
    Leanan Sidhe (not "The Dresde Files" fairy!) - NW Legit Channel Moderator
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    Cameron - WARRIORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! (Dragonlance)
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    Lol​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    All better now.

3fvit6.jpg​​
    Post edited by drkbodhi on
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    From a long time roleplay standpoint and standard AD&D direction unless a player is applying an altering template to a character such as Lycanthropy or Reincarnation I have never really agreed with any "race changes". Probably this stesm from many many years of seeing them used for cheesy reasons such as "I want this person to basically be married to my character so I am going to change from a human to a red dragon fairy angel/drow hybrid half orc."

If you're just all about the build and tweaking/twinking it so you get the best for PvE/PvP then whatever. Just don't roleplay it.

Di has always been, and always will be a half silver dragon, and half elvish........ (roleplay for more).
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • Options
    On does not become a tiefling TR for the stat increase... especially after leaving drow.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance
  • Options
    zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    Well look at it this way. Since the tiefling ability bonus is not ideal for a rogue, you would be the only tiefling rogue in the entire game. Unique. And at least your shocking execution would get 5% extra dmg to enemy at low health.
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• Options
    If the CHA influence on CA worked... it would be well worth it. My Scoundrel build has stats equal to the stats of my Drow... and with nearly the same output. It is all about the build... not the race.​​
    ez0sf4K.png
    SYNERGY Alliance