test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Has the Lockbox loot been retro-tweaked?

moradinallfathermoradinallfather Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
Or have I just fallen from favor with RNGesus?
I have been trying to get an Metalic Dragonborn token. Every time I get enough AD gathered to buy keys I open dragon forged boxes. I was getting at least one or two profession boost packs in every ten opened, and usually got something else at least partly valuable.
Since strongholds, I've got nothing but HAMSTER, enchannts of little value is about it. I'm also seeing fewer admin announcements that someone else hit the jackpot.

So what gives? is it just me or is this happening to everyone?

RNGesus loves me, this I know, 'cause i watch his TV show...

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,220 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The chance to get that is less than 1%. If there is not many people trying to open that old lockbox, the announcement will be less frequent.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I still see 3-4 announcements per half hour or so...but with them giving out free keys it is possible they tweaked things a bit.

Im opening the older boxes with silvery dragonscales in them for a change of pace. I already have 2500 plus bars and nothing to buy with them (thinking about the horse but have a epic mount already) except wards.

Suffice to say if you are looking for the legendary or rare drop from a lockbox....prepare to be disappointed often.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It would be no surpise, if they tweaked the loot tables to keep the massive amount of enchanted keys coming from VIPs in check. And it would also be no surprise, if the Devs have "forgotten" to mention that little detail before getting VIP into the game...

I mean come on, you really believe, that they didn't mess with the drop chances, when they unleash that amount of enchanted keys into the game?

And as mentioned in another thread about this, the Devs definitely have reduced the numbers of Trade Bars you get from lockboxes. Before Stronghold 10-20 lockboxes would garuantee enough Trade Bars for one Coalescent Ward, now you need more then the double amount of lockboxes to get to 200 Trade Bars.
    Post edited by regenerde on
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    Idk, one of my guild members opened some lockboxes right after VIP went live. He was able to get a Flail Snail within 24 boxes. He could just have been really lucky? I don't know. I managed to finally have my name flash up on the screen after 2 years of trying and hundreds of boxes opened. I got a Symbol of Water last week.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    So far I only got rank 7s/8s that are pretty much worthless. The other day I got an item that is worth 20 AD in AH.. So yeah opening boxes kinda sucks.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User

So far I only got rank 7s/8s that are pretty much worthless. The other day I got an item that is worth 20 AD in AH.. So yeah opening boxes kinda sucks.

That symbol of the cults thing is really a slap in the face. It should at least provide some benefit, like Tymora's coin or the pocket pet.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Since VIP started I have gotten 1 Aranea companion and a Shard of Valindra's crown. Also found that the new boxes give much more Tarmalune bars than some of the older ones. I was opening the Fey Wild themed boxes and only got 3-6 bars per. The last two days I've been opening new one and received 9-17 bars. Got my first Coal Ward today from opening boxes.
  • Options
    putzboy78putzboy78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,950 Arc User
    I got the epic air elemental today and a guildie of mine has gotten two artifacts from the VIP keys. That said who knows what the RNG really is. The odds are not advertised. There is a website that shows the results of testing hundreds of keys on each lockbox; however, they use the preview server (who know's if the results would be the same).

My 1M AD epic air elemental was enough to pay for 3 months of VIP, so I'm ahead so far.
  • Options
    rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The drop rate of legendary loot is around 1 in 5000 boxes. I still usually get profession packs or enchant boxes (sometimes the dated companion packs) from the same lockbox. We're both gonna be opening these boxes a looooong time.

Edit: also, if you get a pack in a lockbox, sell the pack unopened. I make 15-60k AD off most lockboxes this way. Not bad for a key I got for free with VIP.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Well, i'm getting a lot more 1-6 Trade Bars from lockboxes since Strongholds, to see a solid 10 bars is really rare, and i don't think i can remember the last time i got more then 10 bars... and i open lockboxes weekly with the VIP keys.
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    rversantrversant Member Posts: 896 Arc User
    I've opened more than 500 boxes since I started playing (PC) and I've gotten the legendary reward 3 times. the later boxes do seem to have much lower % rates for the best rewards though.
    People are way too negative, Why cant we just all get along.

Drunken Goose of MidNight Express. - 3.3k Paladin , 3.6k GWF , 3.1k GF,
  • Options
    rversant said:

I've opened more than 500 boxes since I started playing (PC) and I've gotten the legendary reward 3 times. the later boxes do seem to have much lower % rates for the best rewards though.

Preview shard tests on large samples of lockboxes (10-20K) have given us an accurate idea of the droprate, it's definitely around 1 in 5000. You were just very lucky. Anyone expecting to open 500 and get three legendary drops, no matter which lockbox they're opening, will be sorely disappointed.
  • Options

rversant said:

Preview shard tests on large samples of lockboxes (10-20K of them) have given us an accurate idea of the droprate, it's definitely around 1 in 2000+ (I was a little off on my initial 1 in 5000 statement). You were just very lucky. Anyone opening 500 and expecting to get three legendary drops, no matter which lockbox they're opening, will be sorely disappointed.

• Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User
    I felt so lucky when I opened a nine hells lockbox. I got a single R4, 2 silvery scales and few trade bars...
    Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options

I felt so lucky when I opened a nine hells lockbox. I got a single R4, 2 silvery scales and few trade bars...

Hey, scales translate into quite a bit of AD. Buy dyes, sell them on the AH.

Also, lol at hells being censored.
  • Options
    alkemist80alkemist80 Member Posts: 957 Arc User

True. Suppose the kick in the face I got out of it was the lousy rank 4 draconic enchant.

Banshee (Devotion Justice Oathbound Paladin) - Crueladevil (Soulbinder Damnation Scourge Warlock) - Sindania Balefire (Master Infiltrator Trickster Rogue)

werewolf.jpg
  • Options
    d4rthd00fusd4rthd00fus Member Posts: 453 Arc User

True. Suppose the kick in the face I got out of it was the lousy rank 4 draconic enchant.

It's funny how Cryptic doesn't seem to realize that putting garbage like that in the lockboxes makes for many "Screw this!" moments for players. Seems every time I break down and open a few of them I end up with at least one of those and it'll be a long time before I try it again.
  • Options
    icyphishicyphish Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,255 Arc User
    I have opened about 200 lockboxes since SH released, I was hoping for a snail but didn't score anything good, I ended up just bought the snail from AH.... this is my first time opening that many lockboxes and I probably wont gamble my luck on it again, I would only use the free keys from VIP in the future... and maybe the 40% discounted enchanted keys... :open_mouth:
    icydrake%20avatar2_zpsg7rp0xti.jpg

Author of GWF Speed Demon PvP Build (Mod 11) <- Click to reveal the Speedy Beast! >:)
  • Options
    Before those changes, i bought a lot of single lockbox keys with the 40% discount coupon, and even the lockbox key packs with the 15% discount coupons... but not anymore.
    Now i just wait for the daily VIP key, and then open some lockboxes once per week with them.
    You get the same [censored] from lockboxes with the enchanted keys from the ZEN shop, i tested that too, so why bother with buying more of them?
    It's better to have VIP, wait for the keys and then open lockboxes with them, sell the mostly [censored] loot from them, and save ZEN for more VIP time instead.
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    revovlerjesus1revovlerjesus1 Member Posts: 481 Arc User
    Same old same old, put away the thinfoil hat. its just RNG
  • Options
    yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User

Same old same old, put away the thinfoil hat. its just RNG

still the rng needs a loot table and predetermined values for chances for a roll. so instead of saying to others about tinfoil hats go test it for yourself as well on the preview server like we did.