test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

hero of the north pack

tigerspawn1tigerspawn1 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
Is the hero of the north pack that is available through the zen market the same as the one that is available for cash? The information on the zen market makes it appear that they are not the same. I asked in PE and was informed that they were the same. Could anyone help clarify this. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    I believe it is the same package. They have made changes to the package a long time ago (removed the 2 million AD you get from purchasing it), but as far as I know, the package is the same.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • Options
    Thank you for clarification.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    One thing I will note - with the coupons you can get from some of the invocation caches, wait until you get a "15% any Zen store item" coupon, then buy the necessary amount of Zen, and buy said bundle from the Zen store in-game. Just note that some items are character only, (like the retraining token), so be sure you're ok w/ having them applied to that particular character.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Question what exactly makes Hero pack so expensive? I appreciate packs Dragonborn, Warlock and Paladin.

Hero pack costs 20k ZEN. Account-wise spider mount and Panther companion together make up for 7500 ZEN (purple mount for 2.5k and 5k for account-wide companion). One 12 slot bag which costs separately 600 ZEN. Rest of stuff worth of 11900 ZEN. I must miss something.

EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    dfnce wrote: »
    Question what exactly makes Hero pack so expensive? I appreciate packs Dragonborn, Warlock and Paladin.

Hero pack costs 20k ZEN. Account-wise spider mount and Panther companion together make up for 7500 ZEN (purple mount for 2.5k and 5k for account-wide companion). One 12 slot bag which costs separately 600 ZEN. Rest of stuff worth of 11900 ZEN. I must miss something.
    The price was set in the past before it was on the zen store. Some stuff like the ad is gone from it now. Honestly I don't think it's worth it at that price point and never did even with the ad etc originally.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I always thought of the Hero of the North package as a "collector's edition" for Neverwinter. On a dollar value scale, I wouldn't recommend it now. The Dragonborn pack, or either the Guardian or Feywild pack gives you a lot of nice stuff that's probably a better investment.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    Nerfing the 2 million AD ($40 value) from the pack clinches it for me. I can do without. I am curious what's in the Delzoun chest, though.

I originally bought the Knight of the Feywild pack, and that was a good investment.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    dfnce wrote: »

Doesn't the HotN pack also include the Renegade Drow race? Not very different to normal Drow race I know but still something extra. Also a title afaik and perhaps the bag is 24-slot? I would rather go for ther Feywild pack myself as I plan to create a Moon Elf druid when that class is finally released.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    The Delzoun chest is a level 60 purple weapon, which isn't really that relevant now. It was meant to be a step up to help you tackle T1/T2 dungeons right as you hit level 60.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I wish you guys would have commented before I got the pack. Several people told me that I should get it because it was worth the investment. I bought the pack and it definitely was not worth half of what I paid.

• Options
    santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    The Delzoun chest is a level 60 purple weapon, which isn't really that relevant now. It was meant to be a step up to help you tackle T1/T2 dungeons right as you hit level 60.

Thanks. Good to know.
  • Options
    adomas2adomas2 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Hello, the hero of the north is expensive because it gave you the access to the 3 first beta of the game and an anticipated access to the open beta, and a beta key for a friend.
  • Options
    moradinallfathermoradinallfather Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 66 Arc User
    adomas2 said:

Hello, the hero of the north is expensive because it gave you the access to the 3 first beta of the game and an anticipated access to the open beta, and a beta key for a friend.

All of which are completely meaningless now...well past time for a price adjustment!! Perhaps 2/3s off?
  • Options
    rhoriangelusrhoriangelus Member Posts: 703 Arc User
    I definitely agree that the Hero of the North pack either needs its price adjusted or its contents. Perhaps 6 months of VIP?
  • Options

I definitely agree that the Hero of the North pack either needs its price adjusted or its contents. Perhaps 6 months of VIP?

Since you can get it now without having to spend real money, coupled with the ability to use a coupon to bring down the price, I simply don't see this happening. Remember that you're getting an account-wide R3 mount, epic companion, fashion set, 12-slot bag, and weapon enchantment, plus a few other perks, (2 extra character slots and a retraining token, IIRC). Wait until you get one of those 15% off any item coupons, and get it then...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Well, I already HAVE it. I bought it during open beta. But there's simply not nearly enough in it to justify the ridiculous price point these days, especially with them REMOVING some things (2 million AD, for instance). The Feywild Pack has most of what's in the HoTN at this point (or an equivalent) - and it costs WAY less. They should reduce the price to 10,000 zen at least (which would still put it at the most expensive pack), or add something else into it to make up the difference.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Well, I already HAVE it. I bought it during open beta. But there's simply not nearly enough in it to justify the ridiculous price point these days, especially with them REMOVING some things (2 million AD, for instance). The Feywild Pack has most of what's in the HoTN at this point (or an equivalent) - and it costs WAY less. They should reduce the price to 10,000 zen at least (which would still put it at the most expensive pack), or add something else into it to make up the difference.

I suppose it's a matter of subjective value - I only picked up the pack about 2 months ago, and to me, the spider mount and panther were very novel. But to break it down:

Account-wide R3 mount - minimum 2500 Zen
    Account wide purple companion, (not possible, but we can estimate it'd cost more than the 3500 Zen for one of the class packs, which has a blue-quality account-wide companion).
    2 extra character slots - 500 Zen
    Account-wide weapon enchantment - not possible.
    Account-wide fashion set - the closest you get is with the Feywild pack or the Dragonborn pack, which has 2 fashion sets.
    Retraining token - 300 Zen
    Account-wide 12-slot bag - again, not available - though the Dragonborn pack has a somewhat close item, in the 30-slot bag.
    VIP access - Wasn't available elsewhere previously, but now comes with a VIP subscription, (except with the pack it's permanent).
    Then there's all the other items, like the Greycloak's Legacy items, (which you can get w/ the Guardian Pack as well, IIRC).
    Renegade Drow race unlock - the closest parallel is with the Moon Elf or Dragonborn, from the Feywild and Dragonborn packs, respectively.

Don't get me wrong, I see much of what you're talking about, but I feel that even without the 2 million ADs, it's still a good purchase, (wait until you get the 15% off coupon, though). If you already have an account-wide R3 mount, and don't much care for the other fluff items, then go for the Dragonborn pack.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    As an initial purchaser I am fine with keeping it where it is. Yeah it no longer includes 2 million AD but you can also get it for 15% off. At the current exchange rate that 2 million AD gets you 4000 Zen which isn't too far from the 15% off. Sure if you only plan on playing one character forever and ever it's on the expensive side. Start creating more characters and it ends up paying for itself. I'm up to 8 and having an account wide 110% mount and level 35 companion, albeit on the crappy side as far as companions goes, was worth the price. Even without a coupon.

However I'd be fine with them buffing it up a bit. For example give a better bag than the 12 slot one. But I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    bioshrike said:

I suppose it's a matter of subjective value - I only picked up the pack about 2 months ago, and to me, the spider mount and panther were very novel. But to break it down:

Account-wide R3 mount - minimum 2500 Zen
    Account wide purple companion, (not possible, but we can estimate it'd cost more than the 3500 Zen for one of the class packs, which has a blue-quality account-wide companion).
    2 extra character slots - 500 Zen
    Account-wide weapon enchantment - not possible.
    Account-wide fashion set - the closest you get is with the Feywild pack or the Dragonborn pack, which has 2 fashion sets.
    Retraining token - 300 Zen
    Account-wide 12-slot bag - again, not available - though the Dragonborn pack has a somewhat close item, in the 30-slot bag.
    VIP access - Wasn't available elsewhere previously, but now comes with a VIP subscription, (except with the pack it's permanent).
    Then there's all the other items, like the Greycloak's Legacy items, (which you can get w/ the Guardian Pack as well, IIRC).
    Renegade Drow race unlock - the closest parallel is with the Moon Elf or Dragonborn, from the Feywild and Dragonborn packs, respectively.

Don't get me wrong, I see much of what you're talking about, but I feel that even without the 2 million ADs, it's still a good purchase, (wait until you get the 15% off coupon, though). If you already have an account-wide R3 mount, and don't much care for the other fluff items, then go for the Dragonborn pack.
    Except that still all adds up to WAY less than 20,000 zen of value (even minus 15%). The Menzo renegade race is nearly identical to the Drow race that's free (the Faerie Fire passive is slightly tweaked and they have a couple of exclusive eye tattoos, that's literally it). The fashion outfit is an uglier, gaudier, more gold version of the Noble Regalia. The mount and companion look cool, but the active bonus (bonus damage to prone enemies) isn't very useful. VIP room access is available for much cheaper now, WITH additional perks along with it, and it's useless anyway. The weapon enchant is barely better than nothing, and the level 60 MH weapon is horribly outdated and useless, and you don't even get a free appearance change, except on the HR for some reason. The Greycloak weapon is only useful for the original classes, you don't get an offhand, and the booster pack weapons for specific classes are better.

The Dragonborn Legend pack and the Feywild pack both give you just as many useful things in them, and they both cost less than half what the HoTN costs. I get that HoTN is about 'exclusivity', and that's what you're supposed to be paying for, but very little about it is actually exclusive anymore.

Don't get me wrong. I love the HoTN. I paid real money for it during the beta, not zen, and I didn't even get it on sale. I'm not even suggesting changing the pack to get extra stuff for myself - I don't need anything extra. It was worth 200$ when I bought it. However. It's definitely not worth what it costs anymore. This pack is terribly outdated and it needs to either be discounted or have extra things put in to make up the difference for new purchasers. Saying 'but now you can use a coupon to discount it down to closer what it's actually worth' (and it doesn't even cover what the 2 million AD would have added up to) isn't a good excuse for the price.

Edited to add - and if anyone doubts that the HoTN is not worth 200 dollars anymore, I submit as evidence the fact that it only costs about 6000 zen on the xbone.
  • Options
    dfncedfnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 509 Arc User

Edited to add - and if anyone doubts that the HoTN is not worth 200 dollars anymore, I submit as evidence the fact that it only costs about 6000 zen on the xbone.

That could be fair price for R3 mount (which is not BiS anymore) and good but circumstantial DPS companion, both account wide, plus some slots/retraining tokens. Rest is useless.

If that pack stays at 20k price tag (which is still too big), these part of content could be changed:

12 slots bag item is seriously outdated when game has so many versions of enhancements/stones. If this bag will be account-wide with 24 slots, it can be interesting to people with more than few characters. On my main characters i had to replace all bags lesser than 24 for bigger, because no place. Stronghold coupons add more issue.

Level cap 60 for weapons if be replaced to "level-with-you" weapon set like Dragon with weapon enhancement slot.

EX-DL-BtS / ITF-KC-KB / BF-HD-IBS / FtF-IT-ST-Dis / CA-GW-PG
    "When no appropriate rule applies, make one up."
    — (The unwritten rule)

• Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    bioshrike said:

AFAIK the both are not related in any way.

• Options

bioshrike said:

AFAIK the both are not related in any way.

I believe he's talking about the access into the back room of the Moonstone Mask, which you get at rank 1 VIP, and which DOES come permanently with Hero of the North. There's also something that was called 'VIP access' in the Hero of the North, but it was just priority login if there was a queue to play during times of high server load.
  • Options
    dufistodufisto Member Posts: 537 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    bioshrike said:

the dragonborn backpack is account wide.
    from their website "Make sure you’re prepared for all the new items you’ll be collecting for your Dragonborn with the largest bag available in Neverwinter! This bag can only be claimed once per character." http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/game-pack/detail/495

and then theres the purple ring of dragonslaying, very usefull if you dont have jewlery maxed and r10s( even afterwards). and the purple arti, both also account wide.

add all that up and the elf pack for the account wide purple mount( even though the unicorn has rainbows flying out its rear end), companion and junky chest enchant( better than nothing i guess); and its still cheaper/better than the hero pack.

Perm rank 12 vip would be the only reason the hero pack is worth while ( if that is in fact the case)
    Post edited by dufisto on
  • Options
    I have the Dragonborn pack - the account-wide bag, ring, and artifact are really great. The fact that the ring is usable as soon as you can get to the rewards claim agent is a huge help early on. I'm not discounting that the other packs are great. I was merely trying to support how the HotN pack has its good points as well. I fully accept that many of its items are very subjective in their value.
  • Options
    rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    It really comes down to if you think HotN is worth it then buy it. If you don't think the value is there, don't buy it. That is why week after week I never buy any of the new companions. I just think they are overpriced. $25-30 for a companion you can only use with one character? No thanks.
  • Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    dufisto said:

Perm rank 12 vip would be the only reason the hero pack is worth while ( if that is in fact the case)

It is not. The description of the Hero of the North pack is very clear about that:

"VIP Game Access

When server loads are high, jump to the head of the queue and get priority log-in access.

Moonstone Regular

Grants access to the VIP section of the Moonstone Mask Tavern in Protector's Enclave."