test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rex's GF Build and Gear Advice Mod 5

atlas77777atlas77777 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
edited August 2015 in The Guard Barracks
Hey guys, I've seen a lot of different builds and gear choices since Tiamat has opened. Unfortunately, I think most GF are very confused. I'm going to share what setup I use, which I believe to be the most effective by far for team play.

Here's a video of my team killing Lostmauth before he goes phase 2. Much of this is because of the setup I am running.
http://xboxclips.com/G3TxxS0M3/f9baea05-c940-46a5-afc0-96a3ee68af96

Gear: Knight Captain's set

"Wait why a t1 set? All I want is GS bruh..."

This is very important: The KC set bonus is 15% power and 25% def for anyone in range. Yes, this applies in Tiamat. Yes, it stacks. This is the best GF set in the game currently. The catch is that the set bonus is procc'd permanently while knight's valor is activated. With each tank running this set, each player's increased power ends up a total 5-6% dmg boost.

24% total arpen.

Edit: Defense reduction debuffs like PFE are based on RI. Mark is a base dmg boost.

Abilities

I run Knight's Valor, enforced threat, and into the fray. If you're IV, threatening rush is a must.

Mark:your target

Right bumper mark, enforced threat, then threatening rush. Keep those up!

Stat priorities:

Defense has harsh diminishing returns over 3800-do not EVER stack def past this point. All defensive slots should be radiants at that point to maximize effective hitpoints. The knight captain's set doesn't come with deflection, so choosing jewelry/runestones/artifacts that can boost you to at least 1k-1.5k will help increase your DR.

Again, arpen should be close to 24%. I have aoe resist on my shield now, which is extremely useful. I have a mix of silvery and azure enchants in my offensive slots to obviously do more dmg and use abilities more often.
-Rex, the Mad King of [Legendary Outlaws]

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

Rex IV Tact GF | tRex SS Rene CW | GT: G3TxxS0M3
Post edited by atlas77777 on

Comments

• Options
    djionicsxb1djionicsxb1 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    This is from the POV of someone who plays in a guild I presume and doesnt really have to pug dungeons or solo dailys etc etc.

For one I hate KV with the lag it produces and without the right setup someone who hasnt stacked above the DR point ie 3.5k-4k Defence they could die very very quickly if there other stats are still low or setup is wrong. Its all well and good you offering help and a view of what your running, but dont do half a guide. Give your GS your setup in feats and paragon and they style of play (IE your role) when it comes dungeons etc etc.

Good try but more info would have been appreciated.
  • Options
    rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    So you have confirmed DT set does not stack?
  • Options
    I haven't experienced any lag with KV. It's not very hard to reach that 3800 def mark. You shouldn't have to stack def to reach that point. Yes, I'm 19.5k in this t1 set, but I've had tanks join the guild that were 14-15k in this set and did just fine in elol and make a significant difference in Tiamat. When I run solo content I use the Timeless Hero set; however, these tips were intended for group/dungeon play.

I don't think I need to write an extensive guide. These are just some helpful tips for anyone looking to tank at the next level. So much has been written already from PC players. This was intended to fill in some gaps I had to learn over the course of the game so far.

When mod 6 drops I promise to write a full, thorough guide in these forums since there's not much to read on GF in the PC forums.

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

• Options
    Idk where your getting your figures from exactly on damage boost

400=1%Dmg bonus

Lets be gracious and say people are at 10k power (most seem to linger anywhere from 6-8K)

15% is 1500 power which is 3.75% dmg boost in an ideal cituation

I run DT and get 100% uptime of 5%

Think your set would need people at about 13000 power to match DT effects

But idk if you wrote this pre Tiamat
  • Options
    I tested with my team. They check their power increased dmg % before and after my buff. It's 5-6%.

• Options
    BTW your 400=1% sounds like mod 6 numbers. My CW has 7487 power which is 45% dmg bonus, whereas 7487/400 =18.7

• Options
    atlas77777 wrote: »
    BTW your 400=1% sounds like mod 6 numbers. My CW has 7487 power which is 45% dmg bonus, whereas 7487/400 =18.7

Double checked the facts, your right. 1% dmg bonus is every 167 power

So to simplify it for you, every 1000 power your teamate has they get .9% bonus, might aswell call it 1% since power wont hit too crazy of numbers.

Ty for heads up on faulty info i read

I still prefer DT cause of enemies deal less damage, which is a huge part ofwhat i stack for my build. Im a pull until we have to fight boss kinda tank hehe, and dead teamates dont help lol
  • Options
    whuchakawhuchaka Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    removed my post i will release a video explaining what is wrong with your statements and thoughts do not want my work ripped off and copied
    Post edited by whuchaka on
  • Options
    whuchaka wrote: »
    removed my post i will release a video explaining what is wrong with your statements and thoughts do not want my work ripped off and copied

Who are you talking about?
  • Options
    birdsarcomabirdsarcoma Member Posts: 40
    As someone who has adopted the GF build by Rex, I can assuredly say my team(s) move through dungeons with ease. Castle Never is now something we enjoy doing and doing easily without a Cleric. Shores and Lostmauth don't feel quite so epic anymore.

My name is Gregor Shieldwarden, and I endorse this thread!
    "If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail."
  • Options
    mikeyfliesmikeyflies Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    atlas77777 wrote: »
    24% total arpen.

Your debuffs are reduced if you do not meet the arpen cap. This includes each mark and your plaguefire enchant's debuff. Remember, you get 1% RI for each point of dex over 10, and this does not show up on your arpen stat sheet. Max arpen is a must for high level play.

The way this is worded makes it sound like you (the applier) need the %RI so others can benefit from your debuffs but the way I understand it is that the players doing the damage need the %RI since that is what goes into the calculations of damage .. Either way you should have 20-24% RI.

I will definitely try setting up my GF this way as I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do with him :)
  • Options
    mikeyflies wrote: »

The way this is worded makes it sound like you (the applier) need the %RI so others can benefit from your debuffs

Correct for the calculation of the debuff:

debuff% = debuff * number of stacks * (1-DRt) * (1 - DRt + RIa)

where t is target and a is attacker.
    mikeyflies wrote: »

...the players doing the damage need the %RI since that is what goes into the calculations of damage

Correct for the damage calculation on attacks.

• Options
    So you have confirmed DT set does not stack?

That would be good to test. But typically those types of debuffs do not.

• Options

Who are you talking about?

I'm guessing me. Considering I'm taking my info from Kaelec's guide, I'd love to get new information.

• Options

Looking forward to it. Considering my info is based off Kaelec's guide and other PC information as well as lots of experience, I hope to see number fact checking in that video.

Also hope to see some other high level play.

• Options
    mikeyfliesmikeyflies Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    I checked the guide again and it seems that "attacker" in the formula for effective debuff magnitude is the one doing the damage not the one applying the debuff. Have you found this to be otherwise? I am thinking this will be a little complex to test reliably but here is the relevant quote :

"Equation 3.2 Debuff calculation for High Vizier
    Somehow High Vizier gets away with only 1 debuff multiplier,
    Effective HV debuff magnitude (%) = no. of stacks * base debuff magnitude * (1+ attacker RI% - enemy DR %)

What this means is the benefit the attacker gains from debuffs (either those placed by you or those placed by someone else) is directly proportional to the attacker's own RI%. If an enemy is debuffed with High Prophet and/or Plague fire/ Terror their effect will be up to 24% weaker for somebody without RI % (converts to about 5-6% debuff overall). This is a major reason for stacking ArP.
    "
    Note this also *only* applies to the debuffs not the buffs (mark is a buff not a debuff and thus its magnitude is not affected by %RI or DR although that will be factored into the overall damage calculation).
  • Options
    "So in this case doing RI grats 5% more damage multiplier from the defense debuff alone. The more defense debuffs are affecting the target the more compounding benefit RI would provide. Without the HV debuffs there will be significantly less damage dealt to the mob anyway due to bugged RI in calculations.

For the other debuffs such as Plaguefire this is even worse because mob DR is applied twice. Also, regardless of who places the debuff, YOUR RI% is used to calculate your own damage/debuff magnitude." -Kaelac

I will start testing this, although a test server would be really nice to have right now. That last line could mean two different things. It makes sense that a damage magnitude is based on personal RI. But think about your own RI is used to calculate your own debuff magnitude. If it's MY PFE, I'm the one applying it. I have always taken this to mean your debuffs are based off arpen.

You're right the mark doesn't take RI into account according to Kaelac. It's only on defense reduction mechanics.

• Options
    xrollxtidexxrollxtidex Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    People would be wise to listen to Rex. I will be forever grateful for the knowledge he dropped on me a couple nights ago. Many thanks Rex.

That's my pro tip in this thread.
    Roll Tide : Guardian Fighter
    ASYLUM
  • Options
    Thanks Tide

/chest bump