test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Warlock needs a class rework.

nr1faustnr1faust Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
edited July 2015 in The Nine Hells
This sounds radical but the warlock needs an makeover like the DC and TR had.
Do you agree? let us know your vote!

Warlock needs a class rework. 185 votes

Full rework. (Change the 'dodge'/ class ability's like soul sparks and curse / powers and feats.)
61%
lyaisedreamhuntressxsabre10ogariousharkinkacezetarcrivalnamrekcamiserikordabsoulternisckisbellkazikaristianadefiantone99kolatmasteressentivysmundagnaethadheffernankrekta91 114 votes
Small rework. (Change only some feats and or feed tree.)
27%
blazious11colierlegion10398absphyakusekaimacjaemartianmnhunterarcofortep12mefxestaitinhakkaajaalphastreamequality00critorisaurusmanny1308vordayndarkstarcrashxveganroxdeceondarkbladedjmackenmamalion1234 50 votes
No rework. (Nothing has to change.)
4%
cranberryninjaokamilowentrisfelix243clawdkcommanderdata002zomuciorhaarokuggenhaim 9 votes
I'm only here for the comments.
6%
shadow0667deanblockley89zeddocallself44fatgunsparker0850janiandroll91soulhuskerwassup139i395xweirdo#1529garlion#2577 12 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Full rework. (Change the 'dodge'/ class ability's like soul sparks and curse / powers and feats.)
    Please share this topic with your friends if you think it was helpful!

(A smell URL if you want to share this page in game.)
    http://tinyurl.com/nnzu5o6
  • Options
    schietindebuxschietindebux Member Posts: 4,292 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    are there any warlock left in this game/forum?
  • Options
    are there any warlock left in this game/forum?
    Sorry? I don't understand your question.

• Options
    vaelynxvaelynx Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I wonder if the "no rework" was voted by a troll, or by someone seriously worried that a rework would somehow make it even worse.
  • Options
    vaelynx wrote: »
    I wonder if the "no rework" was voted by a troll, or by someone seriously worried that a rework would somehow make it even worse.
    Well he is not here only for the comments, that's for sure XD

• Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    ... looking at the last changes through updates/patches, i'd say "abandon all hope ye who enter here" is missing as poll option too. :D
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    edited July 2015

a small rework would not help imo, there are afr too many useless skill and powers and the fact that this class has no dodge or mitigation to damage makes her so useless in PVP
    compared to other classes like CW, Hunter TR, OP , DC facing a warlock in PVP with my GWF its redicules, this class just gets melted super fast, TR/DC Hunter CW is dodging like no tommorrow, its not that easy to catch up for them...SW is poor in defence and having more mobility than a warlock makes the class an easy target
    the one that voted against a rework seems to play a very bugged class that got implemented few month ago
  • Options
    What about making Life Steal for SW a real heal again, and adding some heal over time to our curses?
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    MiseryMisery Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    That troll's a ninja :)

As for the poll itself, I am just affraid of the class being overbuffed.
    Post edited by Misery on
    3.8k PvP SW.
  • Options
    gomok72gomok72 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I say full rework, while I do love the innate procs that we get such as creeping death for Fury, I think it needs a full work to have more and higher burst abilities.

As for Damnation, I think they need to rework this to make my soul puppet more dangerous and better at increasing our survivability (Give the puppet a 70-100k health increase.) and make it where there is a 50 % base DR between master and soul puppet with a damage buff to both master and puppet as long as they are in proximity to each other (Like ITC.).

Temptation tree just need a whole new rework, life steal is a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> stat now and you have to stack too much of it in order to get an effect that is depressed, every time you use it in PvP (Are you serious?). Capstone should be "your life steal is increased to "100%" of your life steal stat and heal yourself and group on every attack. a bonus to life steal severity to (200% LS severity.) in order to actually be viable all the way around.

All stats spend should be useful for Warlocks, another given example
    Fury:Power>Critical>Armor penetration>Recovery>Life steal
    Damnation: Power>Defense>Deflect>Critical=Armor penetration>life steal (Puppet and immolation spirits would be doing massive damage).
    Temptation: Power>Life steal>Critical>Armor penetration>Recovery>Defense=Deflect

There should be a clear path that define us as a class and currently, there really isn't since Mod SHIIT (six).

I may not be considered by most the BEST PVP Warlock on the server but, I am the most HATED amongst them.

-Kymos
  • Options
    subnoctesubnocte Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    It's a bit of a mess, I think it needs a big refresh. There are some good ideas in there for sure. The sparks thing is interesting, but takes too long to build, and because of low health and armour you're often dead before getting there. A lack of control spells mean you can't cope well with more than one or two things at once. And so on. It feels like it's a bit all over the place, not really good at anything, and certainly the weakest class.
  • Options
    denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Rework. And I actually have an idea for it too - Click my thread in my Signature to find out. There's hardly any reason to just repeat myself :)
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • Options
    zeusomzeusom Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 810 Arc User
    Warlock does not need a complete overall - I would say small to medium rework but with changes to dodge/shift mechanic to allow for skill-based greatly improved survival against high incoming burst (TR shocking, GF anvil, GWF ibs, CW iceknife)
    Sopi (aka Haxbox) SW [Synergy]
    Sopi SW Youtube channel pvp brickabrack

• Options
    zeusom wrote: »
    Warlock does not need a complete overall - I would say small to medium rework but with changes to dodge/shift mechanic to allow for skill-based greatly improved survival against high incoming burst (TR shocking, GF anvil, GWF ibs, CW iceknife)

but thats a big change imo, dodge instead of shift
    and just think of the endless list of useless encounter, I only use 4 encounter thats it, DT, WB, SS, HG
    about the rest i can say they are useless in PVE and in PVP ,
    beside BOVA rarely used for soling
    macjae wrote: »
    I don't think the class needs a huge "rework."

For PvP, it primarily needs bug fixes, like
    - Avalanche shouldn't multiproc
    - Infernal Spheres should be able to crit
    - Harrowstorm should get its prone back (finally coming in module 7)

A lot of powers should receive damage boosts, or other boosts to their effects. Likewise for some of the feat paths (Temptation, Damnation). They don't need "reworks," they just need to be stronger.

The only thing that warrants some sort of rework would be shadow slip, and that should be kept simple. A couple of ways to make shadow slip work better: Make it its own layer of DR (so it can mitigate damage like CW shield does, and will never be subject to ArPen) and slightly boost the effectiveness (to maybe 40%), and maybe have it add a small temporary hit points or personal shield to offset some of the more massive burst damage.

If the class were to be reworked in some way, though, I think having each SW utility power provide a different debuff component (in addition to their current effects) might be an interesting and suitable mechanic.

atm you judge from the view of a player wearing T Negation
    mod 7 will diminish the effectiveness from that enchant especially in high end PVP because lots of ppl will stack respectable arp, so warlock will have to deal with much more damage from all sources like now
    other classes will not have the same problems like your class without a dodge, for TR there won´t be lots of changes
    for sure he will ITC , deflect and dodge everything aways on top stacking high arp and will just melt you from distance
    GF will triple mark you and burst you away
    very curious about the over all performance in mod 7, but until now I do not see any improvements for mod 7 for this class
    my DC can dodge so many times in a row, I even did not count and I even did not max staminagain, and if i am tired to do so I pop my AS, its redicules
    TR same thing+ITC+deflect, CW dodge+shield
    you lose more than other classes in mod 7, for the moment protected by negation, good luck in mod 7 with the warlock class
  • Options
    martianmnhuntermartianmnhunter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I think it needs the following:

1. Small dmg buff
    2. medium defense buff (more DR when shifting for example, and maybe switch the shifting feat from temp to fury so we can shift longer)
    3. Slightly faster casting (maybe not at all)
    4. Unique encounters (Make DT immune to CC or perhaps Flames of phlegethos Daily debuff the target and remove all it's buffs ie: if you cast it on a DC, it will make his astral shield useless, therefore we kind of get the same result as repel but not really)

Atleast this way we will bring something unique of our own to the table, right now we are a lesser version of couple classes mixed together.

I think the biggest issue is that other classes are broken, CWs should not have such low cooldowns, HRs should not have perma CC etc'.
  • Options
    deceondarkbladedeceondarkblade Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Honestly, at this point, I'd just be happy if they fixed the Lostmauth set/TT bug. Seeing an endless stream of critical 0s when I should doing decent dmg is so disheartening. Even if it means nerfing, TT slightly.

I agree with the medium defense buff, the glass cannon analogy is apt, and frustrating.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I think it needs the following:

1. Small dmg buff
    2. medium defense buff (more DR when shifting for example, and maybe switch the shifting feat from temp to fury so we can shift longer)
    3. Slightly faster casting (maybe not at all)
    4. Unique encounters (Make DT immune to CC or perhaps Flames of phlegethos Daily debuff the target and remove all it's buffs ie: if you cast it on a DC, it will make his astral shield useless, therefore we kind of get the same result as repel but not really)

Atleast this way we will bring something unique of our own to the table, right now we are a lesser version of couple classes mixed together.

I think the biggest issue is that other classes are broken, CWs should not have such low cooldowns, HRs should not have perma CC etc'.

All in all this is a spot on summary. The warlock already has a unique framework of encounters and mechanics. Adjustments are needed so it all works better, but a total rework isn't necessary.

My view mostly reiterates what martian said but with some variations;

OFFENSE: Original paper D&D describes warlocks as heavy damage dealers with very fast or instant casting abilities, and many of warlock abilities in paper D&D involve movement or are done while moving like infernal spheres.

- Faster cast times
    - Ability to cast most encounters while slipping
    - Removal of CC interrupt for DT yes agree, key encounter for pvp but far too easily broken
    - Creeping death from 8 sec to 4 sec, as a late mod5 patch notes stated it would be (less ticks, more dmg per tick). Less DoT ticks also help with server lag and overproccing things that stack like avalanche.

SURVIVAL: Better to buff the survival tools already in place than do something drastic, but PvP Warlock is going to most need a solid survival buff and soon for mod7 espcially since the change of Negation DR will hurt squishy warlock the most.

- Stamina boost. Move the tempt stamina feat to the second row and/or reduce stamina consumption rate.
    - Improved slip DR for all trees to help survive burst.
    - Warlock bargain is a core encounter but hurts as now 15% HP means 15,000+ HP, not such a bargain anymore. Sacrificing 10% HP for a 20% dmg link would be a bargain.
    - Sparks last longer out of combat. At least long enough to hold them travelling between nodes.
    - Lifesteal adjustments.

Harrowstorm is fixed on preview and it looks like an ICD fix for lock punishing boons like Avalanche, Thayan bastian, Fey thistle is on the way (mostly Avalanche). Odds and ends.. Infernal spheres was a nice encounter but the darts do not crit since mod6 and so noone uses it. Wraiths shadow could be a good pvp encounter with a rework but it is weak and clunky so noone uses it.

Post edited by zeusom on

• Options
    hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,176 Arc User
    So warlock didn't die as class. At least some SW still time to time write some post here...
    I vote for full rebuild.
    Current skill/feat set not suited for current game. In older patches where OK. but not now.
    First of all Dodge/evade need to add for warlock, enough of this dash stuff. SW is not tank and it should have real dodge mechanic.. And I stick with my old idea..
    watch video and u will understand. The twins doing same as I suggesting.. By adding it SW will have real dodge feature.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NONAOaZQqn4

Next, less depending on curse. I mean now we can curse up to 3 targets. So all power boosts and other <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> apply only for 3. So Power increase x% if u attacking cursed target, + x% increase if target cursed and other blah blah blah.
    SW need solid dps without curse. and adding extra dps if target cursed.

Also even with current situation there is simple thing to bring live for warlocks..
    Add extra feature for Curse. like increase life steal chance up to 20% if you hiting cursed enemy.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Even an increased chance to Life Steal is still only a chance.
    Life Steal should give SW a certain amount of damage back in healing, and curses should also give a heal over time effect back.
    Both could be done easy through some fitting feats, something like
    + gives 10%/20%/30% from damage as healing/healing over time
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    vaelynxvaelynx Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    regenerde wrote: »
    Life Steal should give SW a certain amount of damage back in healing, and curses should also give a heal over time effect back.

The best thing to do I think would be giving SW a class feature that makes LS work by mod 5 rules.
  • Options
    Yet it's just another thread full of suggestions and repetitive posts. Seriously, do you guys like making the same post all over again about the same bitter problems? We have Denvald's mega-thread pretty much covering most suggestions and issues affecting SW's QoL. Neither devs, nor mods (well maybe rarely on request...) visit this subsection and if we try post something outside they just pull it back here. The poll results or the posts here won't change anything but bring some exhausting illusions of somebody but us alone reading this. The best thing we could do is to try contact devs during the alpha tests and try lure them into discussion and then, if it elaborates, throw some links at threads like Denvald's one and hope they'd actually remember to read it. They did acknowledge there are some defensive buffs comming for warlocks soon, though I didn't see it myself....would have screened and put a frame on it.
    3.8k PvP SW.
  • Options
    regenerde wrote: »

The best thing to do I think would be giving SW a class feature that makes LS work by mod 5 rules.
    It would at least give us some survivability back.
    Want to know why?
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Rework

Two options for Temptation spec:

1. Reverse the utterly incompetent Mod6 destruction of this spec that must have been done by someone who knew absolutely nothing about the class.
    2. or - delete the Temptation option as it's just taking up screen space and put some nice scenic pictures there. At least this would be more pleasing to the eye.

You utter bunch of incompetents. You specifically stated this would be treated as a special case in regard to the Lifesteal changes - and what did you do?

Went back on your words, basically misled players. So now what?
    You where quick enough to ruin the spec, when if ever are you going to rectify your glaring error?

Mod 6 was a complete and utter <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> up, the likes of which I haven't seen over many years of gaming. Mind you, I haven't had too much experience of Cryptic before NW.

Once is enough for this bunch of jokers.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............
  • Options
    Misery wrote: »
    Yet it's just another thread full of suggestions and repetitive post... Neither devs, nor mods (well maybe rarely on request...) visit this subsection and if we try post something outside they just pull it back here. The poll results or the posts here won't change anything but bring some exhausting illusions of somebody but us alone reading this..

I wouldn't lean so much toward pessimism on threads such as this. First, devs might come to get some information/ideas from class subforums when they get around to reworking this class. Not likely but still possible. More so, what would you even link to a dev if you talked to one if threads like this didn't exist. Third and last, what the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> else can we do.

• Options
    zeusom wrote: »
    Yet it's just another thread full of suggestions and repetitive post... Neither devs, nor mods (well maybe rarely on request...) visit this subsection and if we try post something outside they just pull it back here. The poll results or the posts here won't change anything but bring some exhausting illusions of somebody but us alone reading this..

I wouldn't lean so much toward pessimism on threads such as this. First, devs might come to get some information/ideas from class subforums when they get around to reworking this class. Not likely but still possible. More so, what would you even link to a dev if you talked to one if threads like this didn't exist. Third and last, what the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> else can we do.
    Hmmm, well, I said everything I wanted on many other threads including Denvald's one and now just lvling my leadership chars.
    3.8k PvP SW.
  • Options
    ogariousogarious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    That troll's a ninja :)

As for the poll itself, I am just affraid of the class being overbuffed.

Never in the history of Neverwinter has the SW been overbuffed. GWF, TR, CW, HR, OP, and DC's have all had their moments in the sun. Let the SW get one as well.

They just need to do SOMETHING, otherwise of break the class further. Problem is I think they don't care enough to. Most of the SW's have either ditched the class entirely or left the game entirely, so there is truly no reason for them to fix it.
    Yet it's just another thread full of suggestions and repetitive posts. Seriously, do you guys like making the same post all over again about the same bitter problems? We have Denvald's mega-thread pretty much covering most suggestions and issues affecting SW's QoL. Neither devs, nor mods (well maybe rarely on request...) visit this subsection and if we try post something outside they just pull it back here. The poll results or the posts here won't change anything but bring some exhausting illusions of somebody but us alone reading this. The best thing we could do is to try contact devs during the alpha tests and try lure them into discussion and then, if it elaborates, throw some links at threads like Denvald's one and hope they'd actually remember to read it. They did acknowledge there are some defensive buffs comming for warlocks soon, though I didn't see it myself....would have screened and put a frame on it.

A small defensive buff just is not going to cut it. There are far too many glaring problems with the class that the thinking of "I'm going to throw a 5% buff in here" will fix the problem. SW really does need a rework. But the rework is not going to mean anything unless there is a basic change in the thinking process of the devs for Neverwinter.

For every class there seems to be 1 best build, now while I understand that some builds will ALWAYS be better then others, the thinking of that there is only 1 way to be good pretty much makes all the selections pointless. If that's the way they want to do things then they should just be honest and up front enough to drop all the options and make every class a linier path as far as skills go from 1 to 70.

Nobody wants that, so make it that all 3 subclasses are useful. Make it that both paragon paths have obviously something to offer (And while Soulbinder is better, Hellbringer is not without merit, at least in my opinion).

• Options
    tyaukxtyaukx Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I'm pvp player and I'm rly dissapointed by this class (I play it since it started). I tried various of build, enchants, stats etc but in every case i always considered to be the weakest class. If this dont change i rly doubt im gonna play it. Even now i dont see many sw's in pvp actually almost in every match theres no sw except me.

Also latest pvp event showed that somethings going to change onlly 20 sws in top 1000 standings
  • Options
    harkinharkin Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I was excited as hell for the Warlock class when it first was announced and it was okish when it came out. But it feels nothing like the DnD Warlock, i mean soul puppet? what? The "Sprint" just feels awkard, and nothing like the cool teleportation stuff they can do (if they can rehash the sprint into a "shadowy" spring, they can also rehash it into a "shadowy" teleport.) Some of its abilites are cool and all, but dont feel very Warlocky. The Fireball should've been a Master of Flame Wizard ability for starters.

I feel they should've capitalized on the warlock pacts more than what they did with the current class style. Should've given us a general warlock class, and then some added spells from 2 different pacts that we spec into, or incorporate the 3 trait trees into different pacts.

DDO's current Warlock is doing a way better job portraying the Warlock in my opinion. Sadly i stopped playing that game along time ago. In the current scheme of things, i feel like my salvation for Neverwinter is a good Druid class, obviously the Warlock i wanted in this game, was a Wizard failiure all over again (thats a whole other subject to begin with, so i won't get into, but my main character since launch has been a Wizard)
  • Options
    lyaiselyaise Member Posts: 491 Arc User
    harkin wrote: »
    I was excited as hell for the Warlock class when it first was announced and it was okish when it came out. But it feels nothing like the DnD Warlock, i mean soul puppet? what? The "Sprint" just feels awkard, and nothing like the cool teleportation stuff they can do (if they can rehash the sprint into a "shadowy" spring, they can also rehash it into a "shadowy" teleport.) Some of its abilites are cool and all, but dont feel very Warlocky. The Fireball should've been a Master of Flame Wizard ability for starters.

I feel they should've capitalized on the warlock pacts more than what they did with the current class style. Should've given us a general warlock class, and then some added spells from 2 different pacts that we spec into, or incorporate the 3 trait trees into different pacts.

DDO's current Warlock is doing a way better job portraying the Warlock in my opinion. Sadly i stopped playing that game along time ago. In the current scheme of things, i feel like my salvation for Neverwinter is a good Druid class, obviously the Warlock i wanted in this game, was a Wizard failiure all over again (thats a whole other subject to begin with, so i won't get into, but my main character since launch has been a Wizard)

Whilst carrying the name, this game bears only a passing resemblance to DnD.
    As for stopped playing - quite a few did that after Elemental Evil.

The population appears to be only a fraction of Mod 5, with the development team failing to show any real game features that would bring these players back.

I fear for the future of this game, particularly in light of upcoming releases/expansions of other games.
    ...............vote for your favourite expansion..........
    "Mod 6. Oh my f****** god. It gutted the game pure and simple. And what wasn't gutted was messed up by the poorly thought out new level cap and equip. The game never recovered from that atrocity".
    ..............not this one then.............