test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Outdated

rockstargfurockstargfu Member Posts: 423 Arc User
edited September 2015 in The Guard Barracks
I main a GF and to be simple, heres my take on some of the best moves to keep your teams real DPS team alive, high, and actively fighting

Best moves IMO

Encounters:
Into the Frey(effects group only)
Enforced Threat
Knights Valor

At Wills:
Tide of Iron
Cleave

Passives:
Enhanced Mark (offhand perk +5%dmg)
Steely defence(i think, 5 seconds immune passive)

Cleric stradegy:

Into the frey- Spam for AP gain, but when clerics almost full, hold back and pop it when team swarms off next Dragon.

Enforced Threat- reserve this strictly to pull mobs off clerics only.

Knights valor- up at all times, you dying, releasing and running back is alot faster than 5 dying and sittin on ground waiting for revives

Dragon stradegy

Into the Frey- spam while running to first drag, then only us for AP gain IF you know for fact it will be up when group leaves. IMO speed boosting to stack your debuffs is crucial. (I jump but thats not for everyone)

Knights Valor -up all times,exspecialy if like green drags breath up, stand back and shield walking forward. I typicaly pop Menace for control immune, and passive immmune to damage.

Tide of iron- you want maximum up time on drags with this,

Mark- be sure to keep your "Mark Focus" up on current drag as well for a further dmg bonus!

My prefered dragon soul is Ice, i can shield in middle of AoE and not freeze. Then follow up with White gem to destroy AoE and unfreeze the DPS so they can keep up damage

Ty Dijonic reminding me- pick up dps during drags, most will waste 15 seconds to release, and or 1-2 more DPS will stop to revive them taking away several heavy hitters off boss during your 2min window for drags

Also to note, your general goals are uptime on debuffs for drags and taking dmg for the squishys through KV. Only you know your build though,

Example; i know most tanks hooked on tactician cause of lack of builds available, but im swordmaster and pop immune and run face first into green dragon mist as to keep ppl up until gems drop.

Any guide you read on the internet is a persons 2 cents, you taking the pros from it and molding your own out of your playstyle is the best advice i have for any gamer

Guardian Fighters are all about the team play!

Might of missed some things and may update, also up for new tips, thanks for the read Good Luck out their.
Post edited by rockstargfu on

Comments

• Options
    djionicsxb1djionicsxb1 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    It really comes down to your build on this but I would say Into the Frey is the most important thing to be using. You must make your grouped up though as it DOESNT work from what I can see otherwise and only you will get the buff.

Knights Valor imo is a lagger and I dont use it at all due to my build unless asked to or see a real need in other dungeons.

Marking the dragons and the enemies attacking the clerics is always helpful and if your running (which imo you should be) plague fire (any level) helps speed things up. But again I use RB and threatening rush (my mini lunging strike that leaves them marked and any other adds close by).

Also depending on your build and gearscore if you havent got any armour pen and dont seem to be doing any damage (ie your a tanky tank) then I would say your major roll is to help the adds of the clerics so by grabbing the adds where possible and move away from the clerics and/or by using either frontline surge (which I was using) or bull charge (max lvl 3 is great) to try and help move the adds even further away.

I usually also grab the green soul and do left side as I can

1) try to grab the adds off cleric and get them close to the edge to bull charge/frontline surge
    2) Buff the group (when people realize we have to be grouped to buff them for into the frey)
    3) Debuff/mark everything I can (including the dragon) as well as using plague fire.
    4) Always try to pick up the other players because a DPS player hitting the dragon/adds is better than you as thats there build.

Even though I am a 17k+ GS tank I am a team player, just wish other player/classes where educated enough to know we are there to help them and group up. (BTW im a hybrid build).
  • Options
    It really comes down to your build on this but I would say Into the Frey is the most important thing to be using. You must make your grouped up though as it DOESNT work from what I can see otherwise and only you will get the buff.

Knights Valor imo is a lagger and I dont use it at all due to my build unless asked to or see a real need in other dungeons.

Marking the dragons and the enemies attacking the clerics is always helpful and if your running (which imo you should be) plague fire (any level) helps speed things up. But again I use RB and threatening rush (my mini lunging strike that leaves them marked and any other adds close by).

Also depending on your build and gearscore if you havent got any armour pen and dont seem to be doing any damage (ie your a tanky tank) then I would say your major roll is to help the adds of the clerics so by grabbing the adds where possible and move away from the clerics and/or by using either frontline surge (which I was using) or bull charge (max lvl 3 is great) to try and help move the adds even further away.

I usually also grab the green soul and do left side as I can

1) try to grab the adds off cleric and get them close to the edge to bull charge/frontline surge
    2) Buff the group (when people realize we have to be grouped to buff them for into the frey)
    3) Debuff/mark everything I can (including the dragon) as well as using plague fire.
    4) Always try to pick up the other players because a DPS player hitting the dragon/adds is better than you as thats there build.

Even though I am a 17k+ GS tank I am a team player, just wish other player/classes where educated enough to know we are there to help them and group up. (BTW im a hybrid build).

Good stadegy, im 17k protector, i do stack some armor pen, but non through enchants. Gotta keep that agro, and get full buff effects!

I notice into the frey workin fine, always see everyone run 2x as fast after i pop
  • Options
    djionicsxb1djionicsxb1 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    It is hard to see if people are getting the buff like they used to as they have shortened the buff bar. In a normal dungeon you are auto-grouped. In Tiamat you arent grouped and from what me and a friend have seen Into the Frey doesnt proc to anyone other than you in a group. I will look again soon to make sure this is 100% accurate. Either way a group of 5 is always handy for them small buffs they can do.

Also noticed a few have started to say getting them bleeds on the dragon is helpful. So depending on your build and if you want to try, knee-breaker could be usefull, but what would you swap out ? its a fine line
  • Options
    It is hard to see if people are getting the buff like they used to as they have shortened the buff bar. In a normal dungeon you are auto-grouped. In Tiamat you arent grouped and from what me and a friend have seen Into the Frey doesnt proc to anyone other than you in a group. I will look again soon to make sure this is 100% accurate. Either way a group of 5 is always handy for them small buffs they can do.

Also noticed a few have started to say getting them bleeds on the dragon is helpful. So depending on your build and if you want to try, knee-breaker could be usefull, but what would you swap out ? its a fine line

I payed more attention into the frey, i uasualy group up, at gates and didnnt motice only them running faster.

Geuss knee breaker or bull charge could be a replacement, since into frey is only 20% as effective as i thought, ty for sayin something
  • Options
    atlas77777atlas77777 Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    ITF does work for everyone, but they have to be in range. You can notice a serious dmg increase while fighting the dragon heads.

I posted some tips in these forums, but triple mark with 24% arpen + KC set/KV + ITF + GFE is a serious difference maker in tiamat. The KC buffs stack as well and it's a 5-6% dmg buff for everyone around you per tank running the set.

I'm 60-7 in Tiamat so far, and 5 of those losses were black head glitched or Astral seal lag. I'm sure that ratio would not be that good without this setup. Try it!
    -Rex, the Mad King of [Legendary Outlaws]

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

Rex IV Tact GF | tRex SS Rene CW | GT: G3TxxS0M3
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    atlas77777 wrote: »
    ITF does work for everyone, but they have to be in range. You can notice a serious dmg increase while fighting the dragon heads.

I posted some tips in these forums, but triple mark with 24% arpen + KC set/KV + ITF + GFE is a serious difference maker in tiamat. The KC buffs stack as well and it's a 5-6% dmg buff for everyone around you per tank running the set.

I'm 60-7 in Tiamat so far, and 5 of those losses were black head glitched or Astral seal lag. I'm sure that ratio would not be that good without this setup. Try it!

Me and other guy disproved ITF issue havent updated sorry!

And

I wrote a comment on you guide concerninv some of your debuff techniques
  • Options
    fluffy6977fluffy6977 Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    ITF does NOT WORK OUTSIDE OF YOUR GROUP.

The damage spike you see is most likely the rest of the dps showing up from dreamer.
  • Options
    Wrote this for another thread.

Go Iron Vanguard, tactician, get anything that gets your ap back faster and the 2 perks into Protector to get the +5 AC. Get the one that adds 5% dmg buff to Into the Fray.

You need 24% Resistance Ignored, unless you are running full DT, the you only need 19%. Since your dex contributez this is really easy to get, i.e. i get 13% from my dex personally, which means only need what i get out of DT for armor pen if i use the full set. Means im far more effective at a lower GS (like 1300 lower) than most classes. DT full buff for GF gives every enemy within 50 feet -5% dmg and -5% Damage Reduction. Since it applies to enemies and is always up it helps the entire raid dps the dragons (if they don have enough RI, usually about half the group at least if no more)

Run Enhanced Mark for extra threat generation. The other is your preference.

stand in Add spawn. Only reason to move is head blast, then come right back.

Rotation depends on how the adds spawn in. If its one or two use Threatening rush. If its 3 or more Enforced threat. Mark any strays with rb, and cleave once. Congratulations, you have threshold, and the adds are yours. As long as you smack em once in a while YOU WILL KEEP THEM.

Fighters recovery plus Frontline Surge will literally restore all your health. (I do have a Battlefield Medic but pretty sure it still does without that). Plus FLS is great if you get some adds teleporting to cleric, stops the hits and aggroes back to you.

3rd power i usually run Into the Fray. This is very important to note however, IT ONLY BUFFS PEOPLE IN YOUR GROUP. I.E. YOU NEED TO HAVE A GROUP. Same with ALL armor set buffs, same with Knights Valor etc. Only buffs i have seen affect non grouped allies are DC buffs on an area. So unless you have a group you arent buffing anyone else, just yourself (which is fine, but share the love). This also helps with any deeps in the group who need a power boost.

With this combo i can usually hold down a whole side by myself without a cleric. With 3 to 4 Deeps with me we usually clear the waves in ~20 seconds. Meaning we have as much downtime as uptime on the adds. And the cleric bar NEVER stops filling.

Based on a stopwatch i can fill the cleric in 88 seconds. Which means with a similar setup on all clerics we probably could get a 4th run as needed, since when we win there are usually 5 minutes remaining.
  • Options
    fluffy6977 wrote: »

Go Iron Vanguard, tactician, get anything that gets your ap back faster and the 2 perks into Protector to get the +5 AC. Get the one that adds 5% dmg buff to Into the Fray.

You need 24% Resistance Ignored, unless you are running full DT, the you only need 19%. Since your dex contributez this is really easy to get, i.e. i get 13% from my dex personally, which means only need what i get out of DT for armor pen if i use the full set. Means im far more effective at a lower GS (like 1300 lower) than most classes. DT full buff for GF gives every enemy within 50 feet -5% dmg and -5% Damage Reduction. Since it applies to enemies and is always up it helps the entire raid dps the dragons (if they don have enough RI, usually about half the group at least if no more)

Rotation depends on how the adds spawn in. If its one or two use Threatening rush. If its 3 or more Enforced threat. Mark any strays with rb, and cleave once. Congratulations, you have threshold, and the adds are yours. As long as you smack em once in a while YOU WILL KEEP THEM.

Fighters recovery plus Frontline Surge will literally restore all your health. (I do have a Battlefield Medic but pretty sure it still does without that). Plus FLS is great if you get some adds teleporting to cleric, stops the hits and aggroes back to you.

3rd power i usually run Into the Fray. This is very important to note however, IT ONLY BUFFS PEOPLE IN YOUR GROUP. I.E. YOU NEED TO HAVE A GROUP. Same with ALL armor set buffs, same with Knights Valor etc. Only buffs i have seen affect non grouped allies are DC buffs on an area. So unless you have a group you arent buffing anyone else, just yourself (which is fine, but share the love). This also helps with any deeps in the group who need a power boost.

With this combo i can usually hold down a whole side by myself without a cleric. With 3 to 4 Deeps with me we usually clear the waves in ~20 seconds. Meaning we have as much downtime as uptime on the adds. And the cleric bar NEVER stops filling.

Based on a stopwatch i can fill the cleric in 88 seconds. Which means with a similar setup on all clerics we probably could get a 4th run as needed, since when we win there are usually 5 minutes remaining.

I run similar set up but im swordmaster for immune buff, dont care for front line surge or tacticion build, im all about survivability and boss to boss pulls.

I know knights valor protects others not in party though, been knocked off my horse during solo play lol

I am curious on how you did your testing on DT to find DT brings RI needed down by 5%. It was my understanding through reading and testing it was a straight damage boost

• Options

The damage spike you see is most likely the rest of the dps showing up from dreamer.

You're right. I've been testing ITF a lot lately. I got ITF to work outside of a group in Whispering Caverns. It is possible, but after testing I'm noticing there are issues or glitches after changing instances. either way it's best to be in a group.

"I saw you out there. I don't know what came over me, but I couldn't let you die. I found something inside of myself, something incredibly heroic. I mean, not to brag, but objectively..." -Peter Quill

• Options

I run similar set up but im swordmaster for immune buff, dont care for front line surge or tacticion build, im all about survivability and boss to boss pulls.

I know knights valor protects others not in party though, been knocked off my horse during solo play lol

I am curious on how you did your testing on DT to find DT brings RI needed down by 5%. It was my understanding through reading and testing it was a straight damage boost

Haven't done the testing on it yet, cant get the damn pieces to drop on my gf. But the way its worded leads me to believe that it does in fact reduce dmg resistance instead of applying a buff. Honestly trying to get confirmation on the whole reducing defense applies a damage buff thing, lots of theory crafting not a lot of hard data. Looking at combat logs and guessing is about as reliable as taking your car to the shop and asking them to find a problem without knowing of am issue.

I have a hard time believing KV works for the whole raid, mostly because usually you insta die from 4 bad players with it, let alone 24. Not sure why you use it at all with Knights Challenge doing essentially the same thing to bosses but with the added bonus of doubling your own dmg on the dragon.
  • Options

You're right. I've been testing ITF a lot lately. I got ITF to work outside of a group in Whispering Caverns. It is possible, but after testing I'm noticing there are issues or glitches after changing instances. either way it's best to be in a group.

Nope not possible. I have 2 tvs right next ot each other. Took my buddies character right next to mine, highlighted his buff bar to see all active buffs, and popped ITF. His character over 10 attempts not once showed the buff in the buff bar.
  • Options

Haven't done the testing on it yet, cant get the damn pieces to drop on my gf. But the way its worded leads me to believe that it does in fact reduce dmg resistance instead of applying a buff. Honestly trying to get confirmation on the whole reducing defense applies a damage buff thing, lots of theory crafting not a lot of hard data. Looking at combat logs and guessing is about as reliable as taking your car to the shop and asking them to find a problem without knowing of am issue.

I have a hard time believing KV works for the whole raid, mostly because usually you insta die from 4 bad players with it, let alone 24. Not sure why you use it at all with Knights Challenge doing essentially the same thing to bosses but with the added bonus of doubling your own dmg on the dragon.

I didnt say i dont like knights challenge, must have read over that point in your tips, actually a good resource to use. Ima still run KV so i can safely swim in green heads acid hehe.

Best i got for testing out RI factors is running a dragon glyph for 300 pt dmg on ticks, but honestly mod 6 is out our door and we both know extra dmg going on, so we both good hehe
  • Options

Nope not possible. I have 2 tvs right next ot each other. Took my buddies character right next to mine, highlighted his buff bar to see all active buffs, and popped ITF. His character over 10 attempts not once showed the buff in the buff bar.

I wouldn't lie about ITF happening to work outside a group before. Just because you tested it once doesn't mean it's not possible.

I noticed after a Tiamat my ITF actually wasn't working even in my group. It started working again after reforming the party. We went to WC and kept remaking the party. For a time, ITF was working outside the party. I realize it doesn't make sense. That's what happened. Don't be surprised that there are ridiculous bugs in this game.

• Options
    I believe ya on the ridiculous bugs i just know that jot everyone has the setup i have for testing out of party buffs, and thats what the data says. Ill test it sporadically over the next couple of weeks and see if i can replicate your results.

Yea, mod 6 is going toreplace us for pve and make us nearly unstoppable pvp. Should be interesting. Pretty dure i posted the Knights Challenge bit in a different thread, so easy to miss for this :P
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Im staying strong on my GF for Mod 6, aint no replacing this rockstar
  • Options

Stay strong! I think GF's will be just fine.

• Options

Stay strong! I think GF's will be just fine.

Im pleaseantly suprised most abilities hit 20-50% higher
  • Options
    Strong yes. Best tanky tanky in game? Not so much.

Love my GF. Will still play it a lot. Not advocating quitting.
  • Options
    Strong yes. Best tanky tanky in game? Not so much.

Love my GF. Will still play it a lot. Not advocating quitting.

Are Pallys "suppose" to be top tanks?
  • Options
    They supposedly have a better coverage on their guarding mechanic (certain abilities 360 degree guard) and not only self heal but can heal the entire party. If you have a good one it can effectively replace the tank and the healer for most content seems to be the general consensus on the PC forums.