test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The future nature of guilds

clericalistclericalist Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 595 Arc User
So I have been reading the preview forum about the coming strongholds. Some people say it will be like the other games that have similar concepts (like starbases in Star Trek). The speculation is that guilds will require a fee to join, some might not like this, but for me the bigger problem is all the fraudulent con jobs that will come about from this. Even if people join reputable guilds what about the problem from getting kicked ? Lets say you join a guild and put lots of time and resources into building up the stronghold, then some senior kicks you simply because he does not like your face and all your investments are down the toilet.

I am posting this because Cryptic seems to be unaware about all the bad behaviour that is out there, think of the endless kicking when they had the need or greed system, or think of the abuse of the ICW refinement farming when they thought it was good idea to have aquamarines as a reward. Imagine for moment about how many rage quitters there will be when in the future people post to this forum saying they got kicked and the only response from Cryptic will be: "too bad, there is nothing we can, do this is how the game is". Please thing of introducing some kind of guild contract feature.

Comments

• Options
    torontodavetorontodave Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 992 Arc User
    apparently your "guild donations" are per your character...

so even if you join another guild, your donation record is intact.

At least, thats what someone said earlier.
    NW-DSQ39N5SJ - 'To Infinity, and BEYOND!' - Spelljammer Quest. Skyships, Indiana Jones moments
    NW-DC9R4J5EH - 'The Black Pearl' - Spelljammer! Phlo Riders and Space Orcs
    Thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    im more worried that i wont be able to compete in pvp, also the boons are broken op, 32k hp, 8k arp ... here goes the powercreep train again.... welcome back to mod5 when whole map died when you sneezed
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    I believe that those boons are only applied to you when you are on the stronghold territory and you'll only be able to choose 1 from each category (offense/defense/utility/pvp), making it 4 boons total, 1 of which is only going to apply in PvP.
    Again, this is my guess and have no confirmation. But this seems reasonable. The powercreep however is there... especially since our gear is being replaced by the exact same variation, but a stronger one.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Your contributions record *should* be staying with you from guild to guild.
    The problem with *some* Fleets charging admission to join in STO is that they can have up to 500 members (IIRC) - and so they are able to build their Starbases (STO version of "Stronghold") really fast, already have the vendors with BiS stuff and all that. Neverwinter Devs are setting guild membership limits to 150 - which is their attempt to help avoid that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

Neverwinter Devs are learning from the STO mistakes. Hopefully their solutions work. As for the Boons system: I dunno if it only works in Stronghold Instances or if it's a standard boons that sticks with you. I suspect the latter, but would appreciate the former. It's a wait-and-see thing on that one.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Well, the "1000-8000 stat based on your character's level" is saying something. I don't see why anyone below level 70 would lurk around on the Stronghold territory when the content there is lvl 70. The boon can't even act as a boost to lower levels to make them help out with Strongholds stuff because they receive an even lesser bonus. Maybe you are right and the stats stay active outside as well.
    The +8000 Arpen might open up a lot of room for stats other than arpen.
  • Options
    healaryhealary Member Posts: 600 Arc User
    apparently your "guild donations" are per your character...

so even if you join another guild, your donation record is intact.

At least, thats what someone said earlier.

Unfortunately effects of the structures your current guild have don't carry over to your next guild. Your efforts may get you 12 boons in this guild but wasted when you move to a lesser guild with nothing to build a structure for boons.
  • Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    ...which leads to another funny question: Will the guild, when and if they kick a player, lose the points he or she invested? Might that even render existing structures defunct?

...etc.etc.

I see a lot of unrewarded beta testing in out midterm future.
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    jimmyhar wrote: »
    If the boons you earn from Stronghold content are only applicable to Stronghold content then a whole bunch of players will just skip it all, won't they?

Dont think so. These boons looks like a huge boost during stronghold battles or while farming the HE's.
  • Options
    dsn1118dsn1118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    and stronghold HES are easier and more rewarding than outside ones at least I observed on the preview. 3 people did one of the HEs and got green resonance stone,1 rank 5 enchantment some building stuff etc.And this one is smaller one.God knows what will those big ones give
  • Options
    quspivquspiv Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,087 Arc User
    dsn1118 wrote: »
    and stronghold HES are easier and more rewarding than outside ones at least I observed on the preview. 3 people did one of the HEs and got green resonance stone,1 rank 5 enchantment some building stuff etc.And this one is smaller one.God knows what will those big ones give

Looks like paradise for botting.
  • Options
    The HEs involve a lot of dodging out of red zones, the red ones oneshot kill you immediately. Default attacks are around 10ish, so it really rewards players who are able to dodge and manage their stamina.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    Effectively banning large guilds by forcing them down to a fraction of their size is no good solution. In fact, it will make it nearly impossible for most guilds to ever participate in SHPvP in the first place if it requires a minimum number of participants from a guild to be online at the same time. They say the majority of guilds was well under 150 accounts. OK. Did they take into account ACTIVE players? bet not. Did they take into account # of players online at a time in any given guild? bet not. Did they take into account $$ in from players in a guild cross-referenced to the size of that guild? bet not. No... they probably ran a simple report showing the average number of accounts per guild. Dumb analytics makes for dumb decisions. And since module 3, Cryptic has made nothing but very dumb and seemingly very uninformed decisions.