test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How to have good communication between players and dev teams? Polls!

denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
edited July 2015 in Player Feedback (PC)
One of the problems in this game is that, while we have dedicated players and dedicated devs working to better the game, the two of them are not necessarily in sync. For example, alot of people's idea of balancing content was not increasing their HP, while some others think it was a good change. How do we know what the majority of the community wants?

There is a way, run player polls! Doing that will allow you to get more concise feedback about what the community feels towards an aspect of the game. The this poll system I'm not talking about the forums because only a portion of the playerbase actually goes there. This poll system has to be implemented in the game (with possibly a reminder everytime a new poll is added so players don't miss out. Then you will have a much more realistic opinion of what the community really thinks, and wants.

Poll examples:
What do you think is the priority of tweak/fixes that we should focus on right now?
1) Class balancing
2) Returning the old dungeons content
3) Fine tuning the current dungeons and tiers and game difficulty

What do you believe is the best solution to balance current end game content?
1) increasing monster HP by 50% and lower their damage by 25%
2) Increase monster HP 25% and lower their damage 25%
3) Move high spikes of one shot damage to telegraphed attacks and red zones, and make normal attacks much weaker and easier to survive. (not necessarily non lethal, but would not die with two imps attacking a player fully geared for example.

What next race do you want to see added next?

What next class would you like to see added next?

By doing polls in game, I assure you will have a better idea of what the community really wants, it goes from game improvements, to what next content they'd like to see, to what people think is priority in bug fixing, to what their opinion is on the event that just run (What did you think of NCL? What improvements would you like for the next event? + forum link to discuss in an official feedback thread. After the polls, it leaves you with a better idea of what the community really liked and did not like, and what you could focus on.

Players feel more engaged, communication is improved, the game health increases

Win/Win
I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread

Comments

• Options
    Maybe so, but if they want to engage with us, then player polls are an excellent way of doing it. One way or another, even if they care or not, this would increase their income because players who feel engaged are more likely to spend on the game.

• Options
    suicidalgodotsuicidalgodot Member Posts: 2,465 Arc User
    magenubbie wrote: »
    How do we know what the majority of the community wants?
    What makes you think they want to know? There are only 2 things they want from us:
    1. alert them to any broking things (or rather, what we consider broken) so they can make it worse (sometimes better)
    2. pay the bills.

If they wanted to ask us questions lke that, they'd put a proposed change on the preview server long enough for us to try it and give feedback on it before putting it on the live server. Instead they put changes on preview the day before or on the day of the live maintenance that will drop the same changes on the live server.

...as if that had mattered pre- and within Mod 6.

Well, it hasn't been completely futile, but mostly...

I think the "Which bugs should be fixed / issues should be addressed" kind of poll, every once in a while, might be a good idea, though, and might hold water. Also open and public, less prone to being skewed by more vocal or, erm, well connected people :D

An open question though, how to avoid skewing by multi-account players...

The "which measure"-type question, however, is not a smart one (even though with the current example it might have been helpful...), as it's fairly obvious that the bias would go towards the easy way. Maybe a question like "Choose one: Up player damage / lower mob damage / lower mob HP / lower mob ArPen" would be another thing...

Also, it would probably be better to not conduct these polls here, in the forum, but via a Launcher-linked separate webpage, to avoid forumite bias.

But in general, many well performing, market-savy companies do customer polls regularly, and sometimes quite specifically. Whether the results are indeed honored is another topic, however...
  • Options
    magenubbie wrote: »
    How do we know what the majority of the community wants?
    What makes you think they want to know? There are only 2 things they want from us:
    1. alert them to any broking things (or rather, what we consider broken) so they can make it worse (sometimes better)
    2. pay the bills.

If they wanted to ask us questions lke that, they'd put a proposed change on the preview server long enough for us to try it and give feedback on it before putting it on the live server. Instead they put changes on preview the day before or on the day of the live maintenance that will drop the same changes on the live server.

...as if that had mattered pre- and within Mod 6.

Well, it hasn't been completely futile, but mostly...

I think the "Which bugs should be fixed / issues should be addressed" kind of poll, every once in a while, might be a good idea, though, and might hold water. Also open and public, less prone to being skewed by more vocal or, erm, well connected people :D

An open question though, how to avoid skewing by multi-account players...

The "which measure"-type question, however, is not a smart one (even though with the current example it might have been helpful...), as it's fairly obvious that the bias would go towards the easy way. Maybe a question like "Choose one: Up player damage / lower mob damage / lower mob HP / lower mob ArPen" would be another thing...

Also, it would probably be better to not conduct these polls here, in the forum, but via a Launcher-linked separate webpage, to avoid forumite bias.

But in general, many well performing, market-savy companies do customer polls regularly, and sometimes quite specifically. Whether the results are indeed honored is another topic, however...

it is a rough idea, although I do believe it has to be conducted within the game, otherwise it loses its credibility considering how many players never go on the forums

• Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    Scott has done a tremendous job thusfar during Mod 6 fixing the horde of broken <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>.

However, his team suffers from lack of pride. It's blatantly obvious that they are not profoundly proud of their work. The developers are working the hours they are paid for - and that's it. Someone who has pride in their product works 24/7.

Most of the negative posts here do not help that problem.
  • Options
    strumslingerstrumslinger Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,724 Cryptic Developer
    Your wish is my command.

Call me Andy (or Strum, or Spider-Man)!
    Follow Neverwinter on Twitter: NeverwinterGame 
    Like Neverwinter on Facebook: Neverwinter

Follow me on Twitter: StrumSlinger

• Options
    Your wish is my command.

Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you like the idea!

• Options
    adent086adent086 Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    No disrespect to strum, and not shooting down the op's idea at all because I think it is great. But, yeah, I believe this will actually happen when I see it on the live server AND the devs actually start ACTING on the results of the polls. Until then, its all just PR lip-service.

Full props to the OP for positive and wishful thinking though; I have made several "in vain" idea threads trying desperately to help these devs myself. So, Cheers!

Peace All.
    Telling us about upcoming content updates, and getting those updates out the door BUG-FREE, is *AWESOME*!! Know what's even *MORE* awesome? Fixing game breaking bugs (and/or undocumented "features") that have been in EXISTING content for months/years!!! Guess which one makes me want to spend money on a game much more than the other? Hint: It's the "more awesome" one.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,044 Arc User
    All the feedback is just right here, but it seems not to matter to the Devs... going to give it another try in Strumslingers thread, but i have no high hopes for it... sorry.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    myowmyowmyowmyow Member Posts: 1,923 Arc User
    Management . . . take heed!
    SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! SEC! (repeat indefinitely)

myles08807 said, "Back in my day, we didn't have any of this fancy Mulhorand gear while we were leveling . . . we walked uphill both ways while dying once every five seconds while leveling, and we liked it fine!" . . . Now, get off my lawn, you kids!"
    pointsman said, "I don't rue the game. In fact I don't feel any regret for the game at all."
    looomis said, "I don't like people changing to alts and then bragging about their mains like schizophrenic role players."
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    strumslinger, the one swinging with long guitar cords? hey that not a spiderman.
    okay, currently, i am bit upset, i just think team just had way too many glitches with old-new codes might has crossover the codes are overwhelming.

really want to see game become more playable if they cut back elite 73 lvl mobs, none of players survive one hits, not on thier current item scores.
    my wishlist to see those fix asap....
    once the clerics's beam maxed at tiamat, legion devils should be bannished, cut down insane teleportings, scale down thier defenses, since they are elite 73 lvl, and way too much than normal 73 lvl counterparts, with normals it take 15-20 hits to kill them, with elites, it take 5-7 players to make 50 hits or more to kill it, and we dont have that 20 mins timers to deal with legions, they are they ones who cuase more lags, they move too fast and kills on hit shots, causing players to lose race against timer, they are massive time-sink.
    once the heads timers switched, the legions are back with the clerics til next banishments.

boons were doable at 60 lvl, now characters at 70 lvl still cant do those without helps, and many dont want to help or get on ignore list by calling you spammer, i usaully ask and wait 3-5 mins before repeat til getting help or found groups. it doesnt make sense, these are "daily quest", were meant for solo, and dungeons were for groups who want seals or upgrades, now all these were taken away, and left us nothing to do and tired of waiting, wondering how soon it come back or quiting to know it wont be fix in a week, but fear it may take 3-4 months or longer.

these Vig zones, are most boring, and nothing offer or get a nice upgrade randomly, these are on fixed pattern, some come to check for United elemental tokens are up or not on hourly shedule, it get old.

i may expecting stronghold become more another bleh boring and nothing exciting, nothing to see here, and move on, some players may come to see few spots for screenshots and may not play very long.

players want to know how soon the dungeons get fix, they have been waiting so long and not know when, it is summer now, lot of kids get bored and being driven away into other games.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,044 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Foundries, dungeons and skirmishes, max. level 70 NPCs.
    Dread Ring and Sharander campaign areas, level 70 NPCs.
    Icewind Dale campaign area, level 71 NPCs.
    Well of Dragon area, level 72 NPCs.

And of course an adjustment to hitpoints and damage to all NPCs too.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    sabre10sabre10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    OP's idea is a great one! Capturing a wider audience for feedback can only be a good thing
    aDXr4Ur.png
    Civil Anarchy Officer
    Fabled Alliance