test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Old CW returning need advice

dariandelforddariandelford Member Posts: 45 Arc User
I am a current level 60 CW and have been gone from the game for about 7 months now. Obviously stuff has changed.

Tried to log in today but the servers been down all day. need some advice on what I need to respec for DPS for my control wizard as that is how I am speced now or is it a lost cause?

What is the current thinking for CW's at level 70.

Any other information would be greatly appreciated as well. Thank you kindly.
Darian Del'Ford
AKA Taco Brotherhood of Pathfinders
Old Neverwinter Nights AOL Launched it all!

Comments

• Options
    madnitezzmadnitezz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    A few decisions you have to make:

1. Spellstorm or Master of Flame: both are excellent in doing damage, SS more of burst upfront dmg, and MOF more of sustained DOT. *Recently there are two changes significantly affecting SS: nerf of stormspell and mobs received 50% more HP, and the conclusion is yet to be made.

2. Focused wizardry: do you want to trade off a bit of your AOE dmg (for mobs clearing) for a significant boost in single target dmg (for boss fights)

3. Your paragon feats:
    -basically a full oppressor is out of your list because you are asking for dps build.
    -Thaum is for personal dps, and renegade for party dps. Personally I enjoy being a renegade mage that is useful for my team.
    -If you choose renegade, another option opens up for you: Icy vein or spell twisting: Icy vein for the best control a CW can offer to the team, and a significant personal dps boost thru fast chill stacking and chilling advantage/chilling presence, AND an excellent survival boost in solo content (mobs will be frozen immediately and *nearly permanently). Spell twisting reduces your cool down radically, and gives you personal dps, a bit more control via more frequent spell casting, and faster AP gain.

Hope it helps. :)
    Post edited by madnitezz on
  • Options
    zickyjackszickyjacks Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    http://perfectworld.vanillaforums.com/discussion/551341/spellstorm-renegade-guide-death-is-the-best-crowd-control/p1

Check out this guide for CW's now. Gives a bit of incite.

Spell Storm/Eye of the storm combo is not viable now. It's Spell Storm (even after the nerf)/ Chilling presence. This is even if you are not Renegade spec.

The point system for stats has been over hauled for power and crit it's 400 points = 1%. for Armor Penn its I believe 100/200 points = 1%

The cap for armor pen is now at around 60% resist ignored instead of the 24% from before.

Grinding from 60-70 will be painful very very painful. Be ready to invest hours of grinding.

The new areas require you to do 16 quests before moving to the next.

Rank 10 enchants can now be leveled to rank 12.

Mystic level artifacts after legendary. New Greater Artifact necks. New artifact main hand/offhand you get in spinward rise/after you hit 70.

Vorpal isn't just the only sole weapon enchant that we can only use now.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, I did follow the Death is the Best Crowd Control guide and so far I like its style. Decent DPS with great AoE in it. Just a little rusty. A few more questions

1. Broke down and bought 10 keys and ended up getting 3 Orbs, Along the lines of Elemental Orb of fire aire and earth I think. But they are all level 1 while I am level 64. How do I raise their level?

2. Gear, I currently use the Shadow Weaver Set. Is there anyway to upgrade this or do I need to go farming for new gear? If so what is a good place to start. Currently I am seeing alot of great trash mob stuff with better stats on it then what I have now.

3. Grinding to 70 is a giant PITA for sure. However I noticed that a few of the level 61 quests sent me to places where trash mobs are level 73. Like Icewind Dale and Well of the dragons. What should the natural order be for leving? Currently I am in Helms Hold I believe

I am sure that I will have more as I get back into the game but that is it for now. Thanks for any response. Greatly appreciated.
    Darian Del'Ford
  • Options
    Also what is RP?
    Darian Del'Ford
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips, I did follow the Death is the Best Crowd Control guide and so far I like its style. Decent DPS with great AoE in it. Just a little rusty. A few more questions

1. Broke down and bought 10 keys and ended up getting 3 Orbs, Along the lines of Elemental Orb of fire aire and earth I think. But they are all level 1 while I am level 64. How do I raise their level?

2. Gear, I currently use the Shadow Weaver Set. Is there anyway to upgrade this or do I need to go farming for new gear? If so what is a good place to start. Currently I am seeing alot of great trash mob stuff with better stats on it then what I have now.

3. Grinding to 70 is a giant PITA for sure. However I noticed that a few of the level 61 quests sent me to places where trash mobs are level 73. Like Icewind Dale and Well of the dragons. What should the natural order be for leving? Currently I am in Helms Hold I believe

I am sure that I will have more as I get back into the game but that is it for now. Thanks for any response. Greatly appreciated.

1. Ah. Hate to say it you should have sold what you got out the lock boxes. A lot more useful than having the orbs. So the level 1 orbs you got are for transmuting. Basically changing how main hand looks. No way to raise of the level of that.

2. It's farming new gear now. If you can look at the TnD set at you can get to start if. (correct me if I'm wrong). Then form there it's grinding up. Follow the quest ark. It won't steer you wrong but it will be long.

3. For right now you might want to stay away from IWD/Dread Ring/Shar. They hit HARD no point grinding it. Doing the quest line (for me) is the easiest way to level.

4. RP = refining points.

Let me know if you need more clarification or if I got confusing.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User

Unless they changed something since I hit 70, you don't have to finish any of those zones. IMO, you should move on to the next zone as soon as you're able. The only vigilance quests you should finish are the ones in Spinward, to get your Artifact Main Hand.

The only reason to upgrade your gear before 70 is to get more HP. I got to 70 in my High Vizier. There is some gear that you can get through the quests on your way to 70. If you have a lot of Sharandar, Dread Ring or ToD campaign currencies , you can buy better gear off those vendors. It might all be level 70 though. I'm not sure.

Crit and Armor Penetration are now more important than Power. Life Steal was horribly nerfed. You can't depend on it to proc. Regeneration does not work during combat. During combat it gives you Incoming Healing bonus instead.

There are 2 new encounter powers powers available after 60. Disintegrate is the only worthwhile one. There are 2 new passives. Neither is worth it.

Most importantly: DO NOT GET HIT! Dodging is more important than ever.

• Options
    aulduron wrote: »

Unless they changed something since I hit 70, you don't have to finish any of those zones. IMO, you should move on to the next zone as soon as you're able. The only vigilance quests you should finish are the ones in Spinward, to get your Artifact Main Hand.

The only reason to upgrade your gear before 70 is to get more HP. I got to 70 in my High Vizier. There is some gear that you can get through the quests on your way to 70. If you have a lot of Sharandar, Dread Ring or ToD campaign currencies , you can buy better gear off those vendors. It might all be level 70 though. I'm not sure.

Crit and Armor Penetration are now more important than Power. Life Steal was horribly nerfed. You can't depend on it to proc. Regeneration does not work during combat. During combat it gives you Incoming Healing bonus instead.

There are 2 new encounter powers powers available after 60. Disintegrate is the only worthwhile one. There are 2 new passives. Neither is worth it.

Most importantly: DO NOT GET HIT! Dodging is more important than ever.

Yeah that's true. You only have to do all of the 16 quests for each part of spinward rise.

Power has no cap I believe. So after you get 50-60% resist ignored then you dump everything else into Power/Crit.

• Options
    Once again thanks for the replies. I am currently just doing all the vigil quests in the zones until I hit 16 merely to help with leveling. If there is a quicker way to hit 70 I am all for it.

TnD set? and if I may where might it start, I may have started it and not realized it.

I am mainly following the Death is the Best Crowd Control guide and I like it. Like disintegrate as well great single target damage and finisher when I need to move to another target.

I have noticed weird things with the Life Steal not procing the way I was used to it, guess thats why.

Currently what are some decent stats I should be looking for?

Power
    Crit
    ??

Darian Del'Ford
  • Options
    As was said: get up to about 50-60% Resistance Ignored with ArP, then go for crit and power. I have around 50% crit and RI, with around 14K power.

Instead of lifesteal always proccing like it used to for a percentage of your hit, it now has a chance to proc for 100% of your damage. I have 10% lifesteal and it's not enough. The defensive stats suck for CWs.

The guide you're following is excellent. Zerg knows his class well.
  • Options
    kgrizzle22kgrizzle22 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Is this "Death is the Best Crowd Control Guide" still very good? I just came back to the game after not playing since August 2013. I'm quite lost as they made a significant amount of changes. I stopped playing after getting around 50% done with Sharander (to give you an idea of when I stopped playing).

Anyway, I really liked playing the game solo while leveling and I was hesitant to go with the Renegade path because it seems to be aimed at grouping. It wouldn't make much sense for me to have a power that gives a buff to my party if I'm not really in one.

I like how he seems to be very knowledgeable with the class though, so I'm probably going to follow his guide anyway just so I know that I won't be gimping myself.

I'm level 60 by the way.

Can anyone kind of nudge me in the right direction as to what I should do first progression-wise? Should I go back to Sharandar and finish those boons? There are quest givers everywhere in Protectors Enclave and I'm REALLY lost.

Thanks

PS - Sorry for semi-hijacking your thread Darian. =X
    Post edited by kgrizzle22 on
  • Options
    Zerg has kept updating his guide. It is still good.

Renegade is very good for soloing. You give yourself those buffs too.

If you're level 70, go back to Sharandar, and the other campaigns. If you weren't around for Tyranny of Dragons, you don't need to wait until 70 to start it.
  • Options
    kgrizzle22kgrizzle22 Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    aulduron wrote: »
    Zerg has kept updating his guide. It is still good.

Renegade is very good for soloing. You give yourself those buffs too.

If you're level 70, go back to Sharandar, and the other campaigns. If you weren't around for Tyranny of Dragons, you don't need to wait until 70 to start it.

I'm level 60...so I should start Tyranny of Dragons first?
  • Options
    Yes. The other campaign zones are now meant for level 70. You will probably have a hard time with them. Maybe not, but probably.
  • Options
    For leveling to 70, do the elemental quests that start with the druid in PE.
  • Options
    OK Problem, I am nost just level 68. I have completed all 4 zones with 3 Vigilence quests each. I now have Well of the dragons and Icewind Dale left. However everything there is level 73 and quite frankly I am getting my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> handed to me. Still working on gear.

Do I just have to grind out the 4 previous areas to get my last two levels or is there somewhere else I might be able to go?
    Darian Del'Ford
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    OK Problem, I am nost just level 68. I have completed all 4 zones with 3 Vigilence quests each. I now have Well of the dragons and Icewind Dale left. However everything there is level 73 and quite frankly I am getting my <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> handed to me. Still working on gear.

Do I just have to grind out the 4 previous areas to get my last two levels or is there somewhere else I might be able to go?

I'd slot some R7 Azures in my utility slots & grind the last Spinward zones maps. Not a great way, but faster and less painful than the rest for XP.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    Or do the Tyranny of Dragons quests.