test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature

myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
Just so we're straight...you post that the shard is coming down in 10 minutes and at that instant you disable character switching. I imagine that there must be some kind of utility, some necessity behind this fact, but from here, the "I'm just the customer" point of view, it strikes me as pretty lousy behavior.

Comments

• Options
    blackjackwidowblackjackwidow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 424 Arc User
    Yes, <sigh> I know that many will say "log in earlier, plan ahead, etc, etc" but this catches me almost every time. They also cut off the gateway 10 minutes early. So, I have 1 toon who just needed to talk to Elminster, but missed out on finishing and collecting today's statues, and a couple of professions that needed to be collected and started, which I couldn't do because it kicked me out.

No, the world won't end over this, but it can be discouraging & annoying just the same.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    They turn off the login system early.
    Otherwise they there would be a truckload of vicious complaints shouting from the rooftops how horrible it is that Cryptic allows someone to login just to get kicked out of the game five minutes later.

O/P's complaint is the lesser of these evils and only a kitten's meow compared to that.

~shrug~
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2015
    On top of what angrysprite said I suspect it has a massive amount to do with not causing undue strain to the login servers as everybody decides to log in and out dozens of times.

All in all every MMO I have ever played turns off the log in servers 5 minutes before the servers come down. I can see the argument that 10 minutes could be a bit over-zealous but the fact it happens is pretty standard.

When you are closing a store you stop letting people in before you stop running the cash registers.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    Grand Fantasia and Eden Eternal used to do the same thing when I played both those games , no idea why and never really bothered me with the server coming down in minutes anyways.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User

When you are closing a store you stop letting people in before you stop running the cash registers.

Unfortunately, I happen to be a retail store manager. That's not how it works in my world. Last minute customers are still customers. We know we're going to be kicked when the servers go down. It should be our business what we do until that instant.