Install Arc
Options

FC.31.20150528a.0 Ravenswood Tutorial

Comments

• Options
    pantagruel01pantagruel01 Posts: 7,091 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ogremindes wrote: »
    Those buildings look really out of place.
    Yeah, they're Vibora Bay pieces, and they don't really stylistically match the MC center pieces. Not sure what would go better, if we assume no new parts will be made (reasonable), nothing obviously looks right.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ogremindes wrote: »
    Those buildings look really out of place. Too small for being so close to ren-cen, too old being in the middle of a city that was exploded, too not-art-deco for the buildings around, and too public for a private school that runs a secret training facility. You could get away with that look on the far side of city centre maybe, there is some more unused space near Westside, but right there is weird.

I've gotta agree with this 100%. If the devs insist on placing this offshoot of Ravenswood here then it needs to match the surrounding area. Those buildings need more of a retro-futuristic look rather than Vibora bay buildings.

They look so out of place.

This is the type of style I think would fit......

Ravenswood.jpg
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Other than removing the PvP rooms, I don't see what they could revamp anymore in the powerhouse. Give the powerhouse anything more might as well remove the restriction of being able to PvP or go to an alert because no one will want to leave the powerhouse, and we might as well turn the game into a true lobby.

They could tone down the main PH lighting a few notches so it's not so "CANADA BRIGHT"(especially in regards to metal). They could also make the lighting and reflections in the theatre more neutral and less "RED RED OMG RED." Also, they could scale up the damage on the lasers to On Alert Standards instead of "which color would I like to tickle even my squishiest builds?".

Still, I do agree that most of the changes that could be done to the PH are pretty small scale...but they would be a nice improvement even then IMO.

Edit: If I am wrong about this then oops...my bad but I do not think there is proper information and such explaining the addition and removal of powers and such for Archetypes from the Trainers. I think this because I run into people asking about it all the time and do not, personally, recall ever seeing such things. I also encounter alot of new new players who shell out for something like Rainbow Flight(this actually happened last night) and do not understand how to properly apply it to their characters(they appear to be under the assumption that if you buy it then it immediately goes to your toon for use and requires no kind of retconning). Now we, as vets, probably know how the powerhouse works forwards and backwards at this point....but this is about the newbies so perhaps a lil extra bit of accessable dialogue on the NPCs would be beneficial.

Edit 2: The above also holds true for the whole AT -> FF -> AT -> Conversion System which, I'll be honest, I probably don't even fully understand just because I don't use it. It does, however, seem to come up often enough in both the forums and ingame so perhaps it should also be addressed.
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    friezalivesonfriezaliveson Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    They could tone down the main PH lighting a few notches so it's not so "CANADA BRIGHT"(especially in regards to metal). They could also make the lighting and reflections in the theatre more neutral and less "RED RED OMG RED." Also, they could scale up the damage on the lasers to On Alert Standards instead of "which color would I like to tickle even my squishiest builds?".

Still, I do agree that most of the changes that could be done to the PH are pretty small scale...but they would be a nice improvement even then IMO.

Edit: If I am wrong about this then oops...my bad but I do not think there is proper information and such explaining the addition and removal of powers and such for Archetypes from the Trainers. I think this because I run into people asking about it all the time and do not, personally, recall ever seeing such things. I also encounter alot of new new players who shell out for something like Rainbow Flight(this actually happened last night) and do not understand how to properly apply it to their characters(they appear to be under the assumption that if you buy it then it immediately goes to your toon for use and requires no kind of retconning). Now we, as vets, probably know how the powerhouse works forwards and backwards at this point....but this is about the newbies so perhaps a lil extra bit of accessable dialogue on the NPCs would be beneficial.

Edit 2: The above also holds true for the whole AT -> FF -> AT -> Conversion System which, I'll be honest, I probably don't even fully understand just because I don't use it. It does, however, seem to come up often enough in both the forums and ingame so perhaps it should also be addressed.

A year ago when I was Mind AT, I didn't see anything in the PH or a 'Removal of Powers' explanation at all. Had to ask SG for help on that.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why doesn't Block message come up after the Mayor before getting his items instead of the Hero Points message.

Nobody can actively use Hero Points at the beginning of the game.

Hero Point message should probably come up after the first time they die instead of "Call for Help" which only leads to spamming "I've fallen and I can't get up" a dozen times.

Or maybe there should be an NPC with all these pop up messages available, maybe Plato can be inside there with us with all those details, or maybe she can offer this information before you enter the simulation. Maybe important tutorial/FAQ things could be accessible from Plato stations around town for those that miss it the first time.

Whatever, Block should come up as soon as they encounter some bad guys, or maybe some fire/explosions in the terrain. It looks super dull at the start of the game now that Aliens have been removed.
    Maybe have some debris drop from above and explode ...add a little extra threat to have a reason to block.

Or maybe have another NPC, who gives you a temporary block power and tells you about the shift key, it only works in the simulation and players can then test different block powers instead of quitting the game before leveling enough to get one.
    That'd be slick.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,595 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There needs to be an emphasis that hero points gone doesn't mean that you can't play anymore for the rest of the day. Also that ad to buy items to restore hero points on death is really discouraging.

Also could there be something that talks about the Leave Map option for Socrates?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    They could also just note that hero points are almost totally irrelevant
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    They could also just note that hero points are almost totally irrelevant

Yea, hero points are irrelevant, which is why I wonder why they even mention them. If they want a true death penalty, adopting Neverwinter's injury system would be better.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Move Arena to Ravenwood and have students sitting in bleachers watching.

Heroes can be guest instructors showing students how to use powers.

1) Use for Ravenwood.
    2) Possible Role Play locations

And while we are at it, if the Tutorial is meant to represent person(s) under the level of +6 then the Ravenswood general location and area SHOULD be for that in mind.

Suggestion: My suggestion is this; Tone down the level of npcs to the same level the new players are at when they leave the PH - if the whole point of the simulator that PLATO/Headmistress explains that 2009 Qularr Invasion was a thing that came and went it would make more sense for the players that(the heroes that clearly train/go to school) are ACTUALLY scaled to the appropriate levels given.

Also since everyone else happens to be saying this: The Ravenswood Academy should be placed else where especially if it's going to be level 14 oriented, then it SHOULD be in a level 14 oriented location -- having it by Westside could lead to some confusion as to why a location is level 14 when you are suppose to head down into a level +8 and up area.

My next Suggestion is to get rid of/replace the burning/ruined/destroyed buildings in Westside, the Qularr attack is over. The least they can do is update the buildings around Westside, we've had the same burning building with the Crane in it(if you consider the fact that other quests in the QI were removed apparently for some reason while others went missing?) I think it's also time for Westside Revamp too. No need for these things to still be around especially if years have gone by now.

In addition, fix the damn sarlacc pits of Westside. Something like this, this, this or this(I dunno if this would as a whole bother most here but for me) is rather displeasing towards the eyes. A new player seeing something like this and thinks 'Well.. what is this? A tear in the fabric of game world?' Not saying that CO has an means to look graphical 'good' in terms of Visual Quality or whatever but I mean sometimes there are those people out there that just like to take pictures, screenshots, et. At least pave over the roads-gaps that way (if saying the new player is paying attention or whatever) people won't have to worry about being sucked into the darkness. Lol

Started about a few months ago in early 2015 after another maintenance I think, was running missions across Westside then took at look at the roads...(It's the same for the rug in Club Caprice as well as some other inside culprits aka Vibora Bay) anyone else see this/know of this before I did?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    In addition, fix the damn sarlacc pits of Westside. Something like this, this, this or this(I dunno if this would as a whole bother most here but for me) is rather displeasing towards the eyes. A new player seeing something like this and thinks 'Well.. what is this? A tear in the fabric of game world?' Not saying that CO has an means to look graphical 'good' in terms of Visual Quality or whatever but I mean sometimes there are those people out there that just like to take pictures, screenshots, et. At least pave over the roads-gaps that way (if saying the new player is paying attention or whatever) people won't have to worry about being sucked into the darkness. Lol

I've been complaining about it for a while. It's a Dx11 bug, since they implemented Dx11, but never bothered actually going beyond implementation. Since Champions has and always will be expendable in lieu of saving their license products, we never get any of the nice shiny stuff our sister games get, even though implementation of them would be huge QOL updates and fixes or guaranteed monetary income, such as new emote sales would produce. We all know when they added the one emote pack almost what, two years ago, practically everyone bought them, and that tab has sat dormant since.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I am going to bring it up, even though it will be met with controversy, but devs, you should consider letting players pick a travel power at level 1. The more I play the tutorial, the more I realize I don't want to do it anymore because I don't have my travel power and it feels like a slog. You can streamline it until the cows come home, but without that minor facet, the tutorial is always going to feel like a slog. Let people pick a travel power at level 1 and things might improve there.

Also, add more secrets in the tutorial, and let vets revisit it, not take away things. Taking things away feels like you are cheapening the experience.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    riveroceanriverocean Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited June 2015

My next Suggestion is to get rid of/replace the burning/ruined/destroyed buildings in Westside, the Qularr attack is over. The least they can do is update the buildings around Westside, we've had the same burning building with the Crane in it(if you consider the fact that other quests in the QI were removed apparently for some reason while others went missing?) I think it's also time for Westside Revamp too. No need for these things to still be around especially if years have gone by now.

This actually makes a lot of sense. If the attack is over than Westside should be cleaned up a bit. Right now it looks like the attack just happened.
    Questions About AT Play? Visit Silverwolfx11's Updated AT Guides!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    riverocean wrote: »
    This actually makes a lot of sense. If the attack is over than Westside should be cleaned up a bit. Right now it looks like the attack just happened.

Doesn't it just look like modern Detroit, improved?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Doesn't it just look like modern Detroit, improved?

No, thi sis what Detroit looks like;

exposures-detroit-slide-L6QT-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

Far cry from teh copy pasta'd buildings we have all over the place to be honest.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,066 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ladygadfly wrote: »
    Release Notes for FC.31.20150528a.0:

This build is available on PTS now, 5/29/2015.

I'm guessing Gravity Driver wasn't meant to hit PTS?
    :eek:
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That looks like city center to me.
    But more specifically Westside
    Throw some containers and Black Aces or Maniacs into this picture that's too big for the forum.
    No alien invasion required.

Westside again with a Hobo hero themed vehicle concept.

Oh since this is the Ravenswood thread...when I was going to go back to school I checked out a college that looks like this. Who'd ever suspect game development going on in there?
    A towering spire or two might help the college not stand out as weirdly unlike Millennium City as it does.

Also is it my imagination or are their hands freakishly large?
    MclDnQu.png
    With the palm at the base of the chin, the fingers should only reach just barely above the eyebrows, but it goes way beyond that.
    d0iAKj7.png

Just a small detail that looks too big.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I just realized, there are 5 characters missing if you are actually going to add in Ravenswood this way.

You need to add in Impact, Chain Lightning, Flicker, Putty and Trance since they were the top students at Ravenswood.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Given that the Ravenswood campus really doesn't fit in where it is, I'd like to propose moving it.

Specifically, into the building at the base of the blimp that once held UNITY and has been vacant ever since UNITY was moved to the UNTIL building some time in 2010. Maybe put some students up in the blimp. Might also consider a slow fall zone around the blimp, it's nice that you can fly in and out but seems like a bit of a hazard for non-flyers.
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I just realized, there are 5 characters missing if you are actually going to add in Ravenswood this way.

You need to add in Impact, Chain Lightning, Flicker, Putty and Trance since they were the top students at Ravenswood.

This is a branch campus. The main campus is still in Orchardsville (which I'm assuming is somewhere around Auburn Hills, 20-odd miles north of town). Some name drops would be nice, but I wouldn't expect them to be there in person.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    This is a branch campus. The main campus is still in Orchardsville (which I'm assuming is somewhere around Auburn Hills, 20-odd miles north of town). Some name drops would be nice, but I wouldn't expect them to be there in person.

Well until we get actual new locations we have to go with what we can take. And getting them in as instructors would at least be decent.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    logandarklighterlogandarklighter Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    No, this is what Detroit looks like;

exposures-detroit-slide-L6QT-videoSixteenByNine1050.jpg

Far cry from the copy pasta'd buildings we have all over the place to be honest.

Not really on-topic, but just a comment - if you were to find a picture from this same angle and altitude, but taken 30 years ago - most of those green "park" areas would've been filled with buildings or houses.

Detroit is a sad sad shadow of what it once was. It's lost around 75% of its population, and there's not enough tax revenue left for even basic services like police and fire prevention in major areas.

Millennium City would be a 1000% improvement on the reality. Even WITH supervillains.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited June 2015
    Thanks for the info, folks. Aggregated feedback into a spreadsheet, sending it to the devs.
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but since the Qulaar invasion is being treated as ancient history, can the city finally get rid of that eyesore in the river, the dead mothership?
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    voyagersix wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but since the Qulaar invasion is being treated as ancient history, can the city finally get rid of that eyesore in the river, the dead mothership?

No way, that is like...a landmark now. Let it be. Well, wait until the what...10 year Westside project is completed.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    bwdares wrote: »
    No way, that is like...a landmark now. Let it be. Well, wait until the what...10 year Westside project is completed.

They can use the salvaged material to rebuild Westside. What could go wrong?
  • Options
    stellariodragonstellariodragon Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited June 2015

There's a UNITY mission for it.
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited June 2015

They'd probably have to remove the "Invasion's Epilogue... or Epitaph" UNITY Special mission along with it since that's where it takes place geographically.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    deadman20 wrote: »
    They'd probably have to remove the "Invasion's Epilogue... or Epitaph" UNITY Special mission along with it since that's where it takes place geographically.

Do people even do UNITY anymore?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited June 2015

People do.

I should know, I am a people.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sure. It's by far the fastest way to get sets of Heroic gear, which may not be the top gear in the game, but are a whole lot less annoying to get than Justice or Legionary gear and are a good stepping stone even if you do want to eventually get the top end.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Sure. It's by far the fastest way to get sets of Heroic gear, which may not be the top gear in the game, but are a whole lot less annoying to get than Justice or Legionary gear and are a good stepping stone even if you do want to eventually get the top end.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy it off the AH then?
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Wouldn't it be easier to just buy it off the AH then?
    If it's in the AH, someone ran UNITY to buy it.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    If you can find what you want and have the globals to spend maybe...

Sure you could farm smashes for a few hours...or you could do the daily missions and have enough to get all the heroics you want in just a few days of casual gameplay.

Plus you get to go out and explore the world and do missions, which for me is actually a bonus.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    If you can find what you want and have the globals to spend maybe...

Sure you could farm smashes for a few hours...or you could do the daily missions and have enough to get all the heroics you want in just a few days of casual gameplay.

Plus you get to go out and explore the world and do missions, which for me is actually a bonus.

A world you already explored if you were doing missions to begin with and not Alerts :p
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That's a pretty big assumption but I suppose I was leaving myself open for it...

I level up doing missions for the most part, I only do alerts for dailies or an XP boost.

Unity missions offer things to see that cannot be seen anyway else, unless you have done all of the unity missions.

Or you might notice some small but amusing/interesting detail in a certain location that you may not have noticed while leveling, hidden away in the nooks and crannies... or maybe you might just like cruising around in the open world with your travel powers or vehicles, pretending to be a superhero.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    That's a pretty big assumption but I suppose I was leaving myself open for it...

I level up doing missions for the most part, I only do alerts for dailies or an XP boost.

Unity missions offer things to see that cannot be seen anyway else, unless you have done all of the unity missions.

Or you might notice some small but amusing/interesting detail in a certain location that you may not have noticed while leveling, hidden away in the nooks and crannies... or maybe you might just like cruising around in the open world with your travel powers or vehicles, pretending to be a superhero.

Pretty much have everything and explored every nook and cranny in the game. I've done all the missions, even ones that were removed and still in my completed log. I've done all of UNITY 1 and UNITY 2, I've been playing Champions for going on 7 years now (I was in alpha) and seen stuff that doesn't exist anymore, and wish was implemented.

So you could say I've explored a lot ;)
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    ...or maybe you might just like cruising around in the open world with your travel powers or vehicles, pretending to be a superhero.
    Yeah, I always thought that was pretty much the point of the flipping game, but maybe that's just me... :wink:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I do it, fairly frequently. The end missions are good RP missions.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I do, at least to get my Heroic gear. And I do find some of the missions quite enjoyable (namely the final missions as canadascott says). The mission where you get shrunk and run through a cardboard cutout city is one of my favorite missions in the whole game.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    jaazaniah1jaazaniah1 Posts: 5,435 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Yep. Good way to get some SCR quick to restock Servitor Serums (saving my Gs for other things). Never can understand why everyone doing Gravitar or F&I doesn't have at least one of those on them. I always do.
    JwLmWoa.png
    Perseus, Captain Arcane, Tectonic Knight, Pankration, Siberiad, Sekhmet, Black Seraph, Clockwork
    Project Attalus: Saving the world so you don't have to!
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited June 2015

I actually run UNITY stuff Daily. Gotta stock up on the SCR before the holidays roll around after all. I'd love to run more Lairs since they also have a bit of SCR at the end of them, but people don't seem to like that idea. I must have 3500 SCR before December, so yeah. UNITY pretty much every day coming from me.

Those Silver Champions Recognition Kits at the end aren't bound either, so you can trade them or "donate" them. :wink:

I only wish we had more Variety in UNITY missions.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    deadman20 wrote: »
    I actually run UNITY stuff Daily. Gotta stock up on the SCR before the holidays roll around after all. I'd love to run more Lairs since they also have a bit of SCR at the end of them, but people don't seem to like that idea. I must have 3500 SCR before December, so yeah. UNITY pretty much every day coming from me.

Those Silver Champions Recognition Kits at the end aren't bound either, so you can trade them or "donate" them. :wink:

I only wish we had more Variety in UNITY missions.

I'm up for that. You know my handle @friezaliveson PM me and we can run teh lairzz! :D
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    yep, and now you're basically suggesting some of it be removed so others cannot do it.

Expected from you.

Not even close Gradii. Thanks for trying, again. Good thing sarcasm and jokes go way over your head.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not even close Gradii. Thanks for trying, again. Good thing sarcasm and jokes go way over your head.

To be fair, the forums are written and not spoken, so it is often hard to tell the difference. Many of us do not know you personally. How are we supposed to know when you are being sarcastic or not?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    To be fair, the forums are written and not spoken, so it is often hard to tell the difference. Many of us do not know you personally. How are we supposed to know when you are being sarcastic or not?

Even if you didn't know me personally, there was no conveyance of wanting to delete stuff even written. So, no, can't hide behind that one.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Even if you didn't know me personally, there was no conveyance of wanting to delete stuff even written. So, no, can't hide behind that one.

voyagersix brought up removing the Qularr mother ship which has a Unity mission attached to it. You were defending the idea (or at least that is how it came a crossed.) So I looks like you are defending the removal of a mission, so there was SOME conveyance of wanting to delete stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    So...

I reckon that level 40s should be able to access a version of this simulation in teams and solo.

It should scale to teams when in teams like normal instances do. Enemies should have skull tech and we should be able to access this using one of the Ravenswood buildings, which all should have usable entrances to allow us to wander around the buildings for RP instances.

The instances could be based off Vibora Bay missions, using Valerian Scarlet's Brownstone map (altered for a school environment ofc) for example and have students wandering around, as well as some new lore pieces.

As there are new lore pieces in the tutorial, I'd like to be able to get this lore on my level 40s and to be able to see Ravenswood campus with RP instances.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    voyagersix brought up removing the Qularr mother ship which has a Unity mission attached to it. You were defending the idea (or at least that is how it came a crossed.) So I looks like you are defending the removal of a mission, so there was SOME conveyance of wanting to delete stuff.

Not even in the remotest sense. Though it has been six years and that Qularr mothership would have been broken down and dismantled by now. They can finally move the Qularr thing to some place else more pertinent, because honestly, the ship is a blight on the landscape, especially now if the tutorial is being pushed forward in the timeline to the point that it is the extreme past.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Not even in the remotest sense. Though it has been six years and that Qularr mothership would have been broken down and dismantled by now. They can finally move the Qularr thing to some place else more pertinent, because honestly, the ship is a blight on the landscape, especially now if the tutorial is being pushed forward in the timeline to the point that it is the extreme past.

Hmm, how about moving it into an underground facility? Like Steelhead? Or maybe a specialized UNTIL hangar of sorts?

That's for the UNITY mission I mean.
This discussion has been closed.