test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are we ever going to get an expansion?

13»

Comments

• chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    and for an extra bonus point, repeat that sentence 3 times fast.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    edited January 2015
    oh good, in that case.
    what's my next character called?
    I can't remember

• rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Good enough for me to have anticipation. As has been said, the Blue Dog tells truths.
    he said he was excited for it, his standard of content and mine diverged some time. if its a new zone and a plant powerset its one thing, if its another set of a few door missions and thats all the new playable stuff for the entire year...its better than before, no doubt, and i have a lot of respect for the devs for making what they did this year with no resources, and i enjoyed some of the costume stuff(and bought all of it). but i dunno, that's just not enough. but i dunno, brou is a very easily satisfied man, i envy him. now 2015 will probably be a good year, but because of zelda wii u, bloodborn and no mans sky, plus the new shantae game, hyper light drifter and pillars of eternity, and secret world is pretty good. but co hasn't had a good year in a long time.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm very excited for 2015. A new Avengers movie and a new Star Wars movie! One without any involvement from George Lucas at all!! And the Agent Carter midseason miniseries on ABC's looking good, too.

I'm also going to continue enjoying CO, and if we get some new stuff, so much the better. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Dog knows all.

In Dog we trust.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,589 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Predictions:

tangled in the bushes

pay to pose

fancy weapons (if CN is worth a damn)

a hilariously bad reveal of the other super team we're supposed to respect (depends entirely on how bad Cryptic "writers" are)

"4 hour long" content update that can be casually beaten in 20 minutes
    edited January 2015
    Well, if you stop to kill every enemy find every lore and do it all on elite solo, and it's your first time, it might take a little longer.

Speedrunning is gonna end up happening with most stuff.

The key is to make the content interesting and appropriately challenging to the subject matter without making it undesirable with fake difficulty/HP bag uber mob armies sporting unavoidable nuke attacks.

I said casually. When Trailturtle steamed him doing the Mechanon missions, even though he had a team, they went at an average pace and took the time to read and do things. Seeing how it went way too fast (15 minutes) he ended the stream to make the final part ambiguous. Like it was the long part of the mission chain. It would have taken at most another 10 minutes to complete the rest.

This content didn't take me 4 hours to do. And I walked almost all the way. But I guess it would take 4 hours with a poorly made level 18 character with no travel power, walking all the way from Defender, through the missions, and then to the Until building. At that stretch I can see it would take 4 hours.
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Perhaps they measured the content time based on how long it would take to get the recognition for the unlocks? I'm not saying this is true....just "what if?" is all. :wink:

On the actual subject at hand...I know very well what I want.

-Champions Online Season 1: Space Reserved for Snazzy Title(which, if it's space themed goes from placeholder to pun).
    --Gateway Station as it's central mission hub(as mentioned in an interview).
    --Campaign/Reputation System
    ---Perk/Title/Costume Unlock/Alternate Advancement Point(that's not a choice either, you get them all upon tier completion). Point per tier completed(probably 5 tiers, with 5 being the Master Ability Tier).
    ---Big-ish mission after tier 5 completion with nice "wrap-up" and very noticable reward like, random-ish example, 200G, 100kQ, Perk, Title, Season 1 Alternate Advancement Master Ability, Costume Tights Set(Mask, Gloves, Top, and Bottom)and your choice of 1 of three different pieces of BoP gear(Off, Def, or Util) with an oddly amusing(and useful/desirable) set bonus that fits the season theme. This mission is repeatable after completion(no CD Timer) BUT your end reward for repeat is reduced to 10G, 1kQ, and your choice of one of the gear pieces.
    --Drop in a token system for the assignments(I know I know but bare with me) to run "projects" and buy Perm Devices, AFs, another costume set(nice, but not as nice as the tier stuff, of course), a vehicle that matches the theme, and maybe an aura or 2.

IMO, the whole Season/Rep Schtick works really well in STO and has it's momments in NW(not as good as the STO version IMO). While this does introduce new pretty much everything it's not what many would traditionally consider a "new zone" even though they tend to come with new locations and such. This does, however give us new stuff and progress the overall story. Also, AA Systems provide further character progression without the need for any silly LvL Cap Increase.

Ok, so that's what I want. :cool:

P.S. For the people who will ask where all this new stuff is supposed to come from....there are already hundreds of auras, weapon geos, costume unlocks, and unused assets in the live files. I, personally, would be more than happy if they raided that stuff. Much of that stuff isn't use by anything in the game anyways. I'm more about the end results than whether they used stuff most people don't even know exist or made entirely new stuff. All roads lead to Rome and all that jazz. :wink:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    and for an extra bonus point, repeat that sentence 3 times fast.

One smart fellow, he felt smart. :)

I said casually. When Trailturtle steamed him doing the Mechanon missions, even though he had a team, they went at an average pace and took the time to read and do things. Seeing how it went way too fast (15 minutes) he ended the stream to make the final part ambiguous.

That sounds embarrassing (._.)
    edited January 2015
    spinnytop wrote: »
    One smart person, she felt smart. :)

corrected that for you

edited January 2015
    One smart person, she felt smart. :)

corrected that for you

... :| The first one is funnier when you say it ten times fast.

Second of all. No you didn't u_U
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    P.S. For the people who will ask where all this new stuff is supposed to come from....there are already hundreds of auras, weapon geos, costume unlocks, and unused assets in the live files. I, personally, would be more than happy if they raided that stuff. Much of that stuff isn't use by anything in the game anyways. I'm more about the end results than whether they used stuff most people don't even know exist or made entirely new stuff. All roads lead to Rome and all that jazz. :wink:
    how much of this is tied to the legacy power replacer weapons?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    For that particular statement, none of it. The stuff lost with On Alert would be a whole other ballgame of unused and completed stuff sitting there. Something to think about, isn't it? :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Posts: 4,915 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    crosschan wrote: »
    For that particular statement, none of it. The stuff lost with On Alert would be a whole other ballgame of unused and completed stuff sitting there. Something to think about, isn't it? :biggrin:
    now I'm REALLY curious.... what is it that you're talking about?
    ChampsWiki
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My characters
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2015

I believe brou's "lost potential" thread or however it's titled. There's a lot of unused, completed junk floating around in the code.
    edited January 2015
    Crafting used to involve making specific items (often with very amusing blurbs in their descriptions) that were unique to each school. The only problem with them was that by the time you could craft an item, you'd probably already picked up another that was better. The exceptions were the crafted travel powers (and STO folks think they know grinding! :smile:).

The travel powers are in the game, more or less, as purchasable items. The others gave us cool weapon skins, though, even if the items themselves weren't that great. And it would be just great if the skins could all be made available again, even as a package in the C-Store...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Dog knows all.
    kallethen wrote: »
    In Dog we trust.

Brou is Love, Brou is Life

image.php?u=1481307000&dateline=1417570813
    [EXPAND DOG]
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    avianos wrote: »
    Brou is Love, Brou is Life...

.......Brou is just a big, blue tease.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
    edited January 2015
    .......Brou is just a big, blue tease.

That's how you know he's in it for the long haul.
  • d0csteeld0csteel Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There is plenty of room for a Speedster mini-set.

Having two travel powers, and 100 hands just doesn't cut it, alone.

I picture something like 4 powers added as a Speedster Mini-set to the MA Tree:

1) 500 Hands - Top tier power, 100 Hands is just too low in terms of damage.

2) Superspeed - Slotted power, Balanced or Aggressive, increased dodge, melee damage, self-heal

3) Blur - Form, Increased dodge chance and/or avoidance, lowered stealth detection (bestows transparent effect)

4) Cannonball - Similiar to rockslide, super-quick run into opponent with significant knockback, on cooldown

None of these are terribly exotic, but would be complimentary to a number of builds in the MA tree and pure Free Form.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would make the Superspeed passive you suggest also increase speed by a modest amount, like 5%/10%/15%. This would apply to all forms of movement (travel powers or simply running).

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • d0csteeld0csteel Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I would make the Superspeed passive you suggest also increase speed by a modest amount, like 5%/10%/15%. This would apply to all forms of movement (travel powers or simply running).

I like that idea as well!
    edited January 2015
    We already have super speed passives.

Lightning reflexes and Way of the Warrior :biggrin:

And then of course there's the Super Speed travel power :tongue:
  • cbob312cbob312 Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    We already have super speed passives.

Lightning reflexes and Way of the Warrior :biggrin:

And then of course there's the Super Speed travel power :tongue:

Let me take this opportunity to randomly complain about the Chinese text that pops up with some of those powers.

It'd be nice if the effect was customizable as that doesn't always match my character concept.
    edited January 2015
    d0csteel wrote: »
    There is plenty of room for a Speedster mini-set.

I picture something like 4 powers added as a Speedster Mini-set to the MA Tree:

1) 500 Hands - Top tier power, 100 Hands is just too low in terms of damage.
    100hands is a tier 1 ability. unless this is an Ultimate- no. too much chance of OP then nerf.

2) Superspeed - Slotted power, Balanced or Aggressive, increased dodge, melee damage, self-heal dodge/damage and self heal, sure you don't want to add in debuff all oponents too?

3) Blur - Form, Increased dodge chance and/or avoidance, lowered stealth detection (bestows transparent effect)oh here we have the debuff opponents.Unless you mean, LOW level stealth, rather than lowered stealth detection(which by the way, you've written as affecting YOU

4) Cannonball - Similiar to rockslide, super-quick run into opponent with significant knockback, on cooldownanother significant..

None of these are terribly exotic, but would be complimentary to a number of builds in the MA tree and pure Free Form.

so how many tier 5/ultimate powers did you want for your (PvP) build?

1. major damage. 100 hands already has an aggro problem, due to damage.
    2. dodge/damage buff and self heal
    3. more dodge/avoid and hide from opponents
    4. know people out of the duel area.

5. they won't be going in any AT's since that requires a full set of powers, so you are only talking about FF builds.
    when making suggestions everyone, please THINK, not just about your immediate wants but what happens when everyone gets access to it.
    Is it going to be OP?
    Is it going to be a everyone wants one power?
    IS it going to be combined with something else to make a major rort combo, which gets justifiably smacked hard with the Nerf hammer?
    At which point the forum ghouls, who hang around to see things dead and dying so they they can feast on them, don't have more food.
    It's too early in the morning for this

• bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    so how many tier 5/ultimate powers did you want for your (PvP) build?

1. major damage. 100 hands already has an aggro problem, due to damage.
    2. dodge/damage buff and self heal
    3. more dodge/avoid and hide from opponents
    4. know people out of the duel area.

5. they won't be going in any AT's since that requires a full set of powers, so you are only talking about FF builds.
    when making suggestions everyone, please THINK, not just about your immediate wants but what happens when everyone gets access to it.
    Is it going to be OP?
    Is it going to be a everyone wants one power?
    IS it going to be combined with something else to make a major rort combo, which gets justifiably smacked hard with the Nerf hammer?
    At which point the forum ghouls, who hang around to see things dead and dying so they they can feast on them, don't have more food.
    It's too early in the morning for this
    You realize not all of the AT's use one powerset right?
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited January 2015
    You realize AT's have fixed power sets?

you realize our last Full new AT was over a year ago? I don't count the 2 powers awakened or are you thinking of it turning up in one like that? Badly designed and mostly levelled to get the new powers for FF.
    just checked 2 years - Radiant, Mountain and Night Avenger 2012,Scourge was 2011.

and since there are already - Fist, master, blade, Unleashed, Night avenger using MA's attacks. they don't really need more.
    The Passive asked for is an " I want everything" offence, defence, heal
    Night Avenger and Way of the warrior are both damage plus dodge. so it's duplicating ones already available.

The Form if it only has the dodge/avoid- NO damage buff, maybe. Except then people will complain , it doesn't give damage buff .

Also they only fixed the dodge/avoid to stop people getting 100%/100% of the time, just over a year ago.
    The 500 hands may make an alternative to Furry(since it got nerfed) of the dragon , as an Ultimate under MA but not as a power you can get with only 5 others. 100 hands already gets a load of aggro due to damage.

a base level AT, as in just created level 6, no gear does R1 -23-28 twice per 0.5 seconds to 3 targets.
    at level 40- R3. - with 154 STR(no huge amount- secondary ss.) 454-543 twice per 0.5 sec
    How much would the poster want 500 hands to do?
    The lunge- I can see people in alerts hating it, as you scatter people far and wide.
    There's already a lot of powers which scatter people, why do you need a lunge to do it?
    You lunge , they go flying, they are now, out of range again.

and this comment from the poster says it all. They can't get what they want, so put it in for them.

edited January 2015
    cbob312 wrote: »
    Let me take this opportunity to randomly complain about the Chinese text that pops up with some of those powers.

It'd be nice if the effect was customizable as that doesn't always match my character concept.

Which one of those powers has chinese text? I think you're thinking of some Forms, none of which I listed.
    edited January 2015
    on the forms,it only pops up when you activate, unless you are constantly activating,which means constantly dropping dead or using a vehicle.

• zer303606zer303606 Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    i remember when the devs made vibora bay as a paid expansion to make alittle cash for the company . but some of us here protested madly about it. so they made it into a patch update just.

but in the current state of the game i whould gladly trow some money at cryptic for a well done expansion.

but it has to be a good and long expansion like wows are.

i know , manpower and foundings. but they could try to kickstart it via forums and such.
    never was any good at economy or how it worrks but they could try.

-cheers
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    try to kickstart

It's called *Dig open the grave* for over 5 year old games.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited January 2015
    zer303606 wrote: »
    i remember when the devs made vibora bay as a paid expansion to make alittle cash for the company . but some of us here protested madly about it. so they made it into a patch update just.

but in the current state of the game i would gladly throw some money at cryptic for a well done expansion.

i know , manpower and foundings. but they could try to kickstart it via forums and such.
    never was any good at economy or how it works but they could try.

-cheers

you obviously missed all the, "I'm not putting any money in until they do a major expansion" posts.
    Let's compare;
    Cryptic North- 12 people
    WOW- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/blizzard-outlines-massive-effort-behind-world-of-********/1100-6228615/
    Just on programmers I get 211 plus 218 QA team.

Just on the 211 devs , that $16.88 million for 1 year.

edited January 2015

but in the current state of the game i whould gladly trow some money at cryptic for a well done expansion.

Keep in mind also that when WoW does those big expansions, they've been making a minimum of $15 per month per account. As I recall, they've dropped to somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 million paid accounts, meaning they're getting around $120 million per month. Which means that over those two years, they've gotten around $2.88 billion dollars. They can afford a bit more in the way of servers and programmers and overtime hours and whatnot than Cryptic North.

I have trouble imagining CN raising over two billion dollars via Kickstarter...

• foxypersonfoxyperson Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2015

And that would get about the same attention as when we offered to fund the Foundry ourselves via KS.

They're not interested, period. We'll get what we get, when and if. The sooner we come to terms with that, the better.

Both a real expansion and the Foundry are off limits, but we can still count on Cryptic tossing a bone in our direction now and then, at least for the foreseeable future. They may pick the ball back up, they may not. We may get a well-written mission arc someday, we may not. In any case, if CO won't provide content, then Valiance will. I'm the house and the house always wins.
  • bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2015

-cheers

It was a slightly different time then too. Since what we got was almost nothing to begin (it all came off rushed and unfinished) with and VB was not nearly large enough to really charge for. If they were to introduce another zone as big as MC and with a great deal of content, I would pay for it. Hands down, wouldn't have to sell me on it. I would do so to help support this game. I just want my money to be worth it.

Course this is all just my opinion. I am sure others feel differently.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
    edited January 2015
    I feel like mentioning that guy I talked to in GunZ 2 again...

...you know... the one who has over 1000 hours put into the game and said "I'm not spending any money on this game until the devs implement the changes I demand they implement"....

( ._.) just because.
    edited January 2015

-cheers

We told them off about cutting content out and selling it later. They didn't like that but gave it to us for free. So they have the incentive to not release anything that doesn't have a price tag on it anymore that has such an expansion.

They'll do it for free on STO and NWO up to 3 times a year. But f*ck those guys on that super hero game that our boss hates.
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I agree that it would be crappy to have free expansions often for CashCow and STOhno, but then turn around and charge CO's players for something similar.

That and being a F2P game, gating content behind money can be detrimental to keeping players around. Social influence is a powerful motivator, but if you have to figure out who owns what before doing stuff with your friends, it becomes a turn off to playing in the first place. Especially since plenty of other games have all free content you can do with your friends without worrying about everyone owning the same piece. Games like the other two by Cryptic.
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009