What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

LTS on sale - 33% off

Comments

• Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I've seen many posters in the past wish they'd gotten the LTS when offered. I don't know if the PRICE just goes back to original, after the sale, or if LTS gets taken off the table, as has happened in the past. Given that, I suggest ANYONE even thinking about it ... BUY IT NOW.

I have no remorse w/ my LTS, of course I got mine during Open Beta. But, my friend and I lasted 3+ years here before he moved on (recurring sub, so ... lapsed). I still pop in occasionally because of the freedom of my LTS.

As to "is it worth it ... now?" Well, frankly I'm pleasantly amazed that Champs is still going. If what some of you say is true, thank goodness for NWO, STO, etc helping to keep CO alive. Bottom line, if YOU find it FUN, go LTS. So much POSITIVE over non-subbed, in my opinion.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    jadetorajadetora Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's kind of funny because We tested the link in their LTS advertisement page and.. well, at least for us, it doesn't work.

It's hilarious if it's the same for others, because it's just another example of Cryptic unintentionally sabotaging themselves. It says something about a game when even their subscription pages are so broken and difficult to navigate/access.

Also, for the record since it's the subject of the thread; We personally DO regret our LTS purchase.

Between a bad Community, a lack of updates, and virtually non-existent communication and support for the game, it's something We definitely wish We'd thought over better.
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The link from the news page brought me to the subscription page just fine. I updated my subscription from last year's 3-month special to the new 6-month special (it'll save a couple of bucks at least).
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Just checked the link. Took me straight to a login, and then it wanted another one-time code (a minor hassle, at worst); after putting in the code, I was looking straight at a page offering various grades of subscription, although I only saw the discount on the LTS.

Maybe You need to clear Your Browser, jade?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    jadetora wrote: »
    It's kind of funny because We tested the link in their LTS advertisement page and.. well, at least for us, it doesn't work.

It's hilarious if it's the same for others, because it's just another example of Cryptic unintentionally sabotaging themselves. It says something about a game when even their subscription pages are so broken and difficult to navigate/access.

Also, for the record since it's the subject of the thread; We personally DO regret our LTS purchase.

Between a bad Community, a lack of updates, and virtually non-existent communication and support for the game, it's something We definitely wish We'd thought over better.

That's some epic negative spin there, and what's this "we" business? Please don't presume to speak for others, at least for me since I don't regret my LTS at all.

If others are having no problems accessing the page then maybe you need to clear your browser cache as suggested.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I would have gotten it if I didn't already have it.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    tehbobtehbob Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Here are my thoughts. I bought the LTS when the game first came out, so its paid for itself. The nice thing is that I can play and not play as i want to. When i come back I have zen sitting in the bank that I can use to buy all the nifty things that i missed.

Overall it has been worth it to me.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Just checked the link. Took me straight to a login, and then it wanted another one-time code (a minor hassle, at worst); after putting in the code, I was looking straight at a page offering various grades of subscription, although I only saw the discount on the LTS.

Maybe You need to clear Your Browser, jade?

Not sure. We've cleared our browser cache in the past, it did nothing. The majority of the links on any PWE website don't work for us, nor do the log-in points.

Actually the only point that We can log into with our PWE username and password is through these forums. Any place else just kinda doesn't do anything.

It enters it kinda like it's going to take it and log us in, then it just brings the log-in thing back up. In the case of their sale page link (http://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/edit?sub_type=S-CO) it just shows us this;

70d076e1a16cdb09a458ca2bfb4520b7.png

Which says "This webpage is not available."

EDIT

Should add also that We've tried multiple browsers, all to the same affect with the exception that Internet Explorer seems able to log-in through more log-in points than Chrome, but still some of them don't work. It's like they start to work, then just reset themselves and ask us to log-in again.

EDIT EDIT

ALSO should add that it's been like this for a few years for us, We've also changed computers in that time as well as IP addresses (and internet providers) and it's always the same.
  • Options
    gruff2gruff2 Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Well I had the same issue as Jadetora.

I tried their link, in multiple browsers, and it woud never work.

So I had to go the round about way to get LTS..which I just did last night. WOOT!
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    jennymachx wrote: »
    That's some epic negative spin there, and what's this "we" business? Please don't presume to speak for others, at least for me since I don't regret my LTS at all.

If others are having no problems accessing the page then maybe you need to clear your browser cache as suggested.

Our experiences with the Community are our own. While We have made a great many friends that are tolerant and understanding, exceeding what We'd ever imagined We'd find in this World, We have met many more within the Community that have been rude, self-righteous, self-absorbed, and self-important jerks that choose to act like pricks for no apparent reason other than their perceptions appear to be extremely limited and the fact that some people are different from them evidently serves as justification for treating them poorly instead of trying to understand them and get along.

People in this Community are frequently more interested in ripping each other apart for petty reasons, holding ridiculous grudges, and forming exclusive 'cliques' than they are in actually forming a friendly and welcoming environment in our experiences.

We want to love this game, We used to defend Cryptic as a Company. However experiences with both Cryptic business-wise (through their poor support for the game, lack of meaningful updates, and lack of communication with players) as well as experiences with the Community have left us rather jaded and mostly apathetic with the game in general.

We only posted in this thread because it sometimes helps to have an objective opinion, We also would have loved to have more objective opinions when We personally chose to buy LTS. We have as much of a right to voice our opinions here on the subject of whether someone should or should not buy LTS as you do to voice your 'positive.'
  • Options
    ninten92ninten92 Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Our experiences with the Community are our own. While We have made a great many friends that are tolerant and understanding, exceeding what We'd ever imagined We'd find in this World, We have met many more within the Community that have been rude, self-righteous, self-absorbed, and self-important jerks that choose to act like pricks for no apparent reason other than their perceptions appear to be extremely limited and the fact that some people are different from them evidently serves as justification for treating them poorly instead of trying to understand them and get along.

People in this Community are frequently more interested in ripping each other apart for petty reasons, holding ridiculous grudges, and forming exclusive 'cliques' than they are in actually forming a friendly and welcoming environment in our experiences.

We want to love this game, We used to defend Cryptic as a Company. However experiences with both Cryptic business-wise (through their poor support for the game, lack of meaningful updates, and lack of communication with players) as well as experiences with the Community have left us rather jaded and mostly apathetic with the game in general.

We only posted in this thread because it sometimes helps to have an objective opinion, We also would have loved to have more objective opinions when We personally chose to buy LTS. We have as much of a right to voice our opinions here on the subject of whether someone should or should not buy LTS as you do to voice your positive.

You're precisely right, not only in the fact that you have a right to voice any grievances or opinions as you want to. CO's playerbase has done enough with it's self-entitled whining and unabashed egotism that's really made the game unbearable to a lot of veteran players like myself.

Heck, it's why the Devs stopped doing States of the Game: Either way, good or bad changes, there are people who act like entitled children. The RP community in of itself is double-edged and polarizing as well, same with the PVP community. Sure there's a lot, a LOT of nice people, but it's like diamond-digging in a sewer.

There's a lot more people who act like brats who form cliques, criticize, bully, or flaunt egos like only their ideas and opinions and thoughts matter, and nobody else's.

In all truths, whether to change or treat these issues with any sort of attention, Cryptic/PWE won't, probably because they're embarrassed of it. They don't want anything to do with this, at all, and we have no-one to blame but ourselves.

Sad thing is, four-five years later, past beta, past On Alert and all the updates, it feels like the damage's done and permanent.
    Just another average RPer, costume part collector, and tabletop gamer.

Looking for a lore-based Superhero RPSG? Why not http://earth-guard.shivtr.com/
    ?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    reading through jadetora's posts
    They are using We instead of I, also Our instead of MY.
    what is sometimes referred to as the "royal we", some people do actually use the words that way. Usually, with english as a second language.
    Their sentences, don't actually make sense using those words as a collective instead of a singular.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2014

We only posted in this thread because it sometimes helps to have an objective opinion, We also would have loved to have more objective opinions when We personally chose to buy LTS. We have as much of a right to voice our opinions here on the subject of whether someone should or should not buy LTS as you do to voice your 'positive.'

You really went off on a tangent there.

I'm not sure what dealing with unsavory people in the community really have to do with the decision to get an LTS, since that's something to be expected in any gaming community. At the end of the day it's the personal decision of a player on whether or not LTS is worth getting while considering the positives against negatives. That is something entirely subjective.

Also you talk about objective opinions and I don't really see any of it in your posts. For starters you're blaming personal internet and browser issues on Cryptic and then proclaim that Cryptic is doing something to screw themselves over. Secondly you failed to address factors in the game that can actually make getting a LTS worth it, and those factors obviously exist because people are actually buying LTS still. That isn't really objectivity at all. All I'm seeing is a biased negative spin.
  • Options
    jkeuwkjkeuwk Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    This is great news and all, but is there a mechanic for giving gifts? Like, I already have an LTS, but my friend who also plays has a birthday coming up and I'd love to get him one too. Can't figure out a way to do so without signing on as him... is there a system in place I'm missing?
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2014

You see, these are YOUR opinions and experiences and are therefore not objective, but subjective. However, you are more than entitled to give your opinions and I would defend you on that score.

Opinions may differ.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You really went off on a tangent there.

I'm not sure what dealing with unsavory people in the community really have to do with the decision to get an LTS, since that's something to be expected in any gaming community. At the end of the day it's the personal decision of a player on whether or not LTS is worth getting while considering the positives against negatives. That is something entirely subjective.

Also you talk about objective opinions and I don't really see any of it in your posts. For starters you're blaming personal internet and browser issues on Cryptic and then proclaim that Cryptic is doing something to screw themselves over. Secondly you failed to address factors in the game that can actually make getting a LTS worth it, and those factors obviously exist because people are actually buying LTS still. That isn't really objectivity at all. All I'm seeing is a biased negative spin.

If you hadn't noticed, others apart from just ourselves have had issues with Cryptic's website. It's not just 'our browser issues.' As We've stated, We've tried multiple browsers and even an entirely new and different computer. We've even moved in that period of time.

Also, no. Mostly our issues with Cryptic mostly lie with the poor support they've given this game and the treatment it's received.

We don't see the 'benefits' of LTS as being worth it, personally. It's $300.00 USD, that's a fair bit of money even if it's being discounted by 33%. We don't consider dropping that much cash on a game that seems to be on life-support as being worth it, especially when our personal experience left us playing for a few weeks after We got it and then largely abandoning it. Even though We have been trying to get back into it and love it again on some level, at least.

Dealing with a poor Community also should affect your decision as this is an MMO, emphasis on MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER. You are going to have to deal with other people in the game, chances are you're going to want to, and with the knowledge that much of the Community can be.. less than welcoming and quite needlessly argumentative and alienating, it definitely would have an affect on our decisions. We'd prefer to have as much information as We can before making any decisions, which We did not have when We made the decision to get LTS and which is why We regret it, so We are trying to provide this player with another opinion that differs from the rest.

And how is yours not a biased positive spin? You criticize us for voicing our opinions, but you're allowed to voice yours without being questioned?

You know, We really don't need to justify ourselves to you. We are allowed to say whatever We want on the forums, regardless of whether you agree with it personally or not. You have the right to say whatever you want, just don't expect us to respond any further to defend ourselves; there's no reason for us to. There wasn't to begin with, We were just trying to be reasonable.
    You see, these are YOUR opinions and experiences and are therefore not objective, but subjective. However, you are more than entitled to give your opinions and I would defend you on that score.

Opinions may differ.

We have throughout our posts on multiple occasions, gone to great lengths to ensure that others realize We are giving our opinions and our personal experiences. Every one of our posts is worded in such a fashion as to specify that.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You know what, having been part of several gaming communities, and I've been in really bad ones, I can honestly say that this one is far from being as bad as you're making it out to be. That's me speaking from personal experience having played this game since launch and having been active in the forums for that duration.

Maybe you have the worst luck dealing with jerks the majority of the time, I don't know, but what you're doing here is painting the community with a single brush and that isn't really fair to the community as a whole, considering that there is a very good number of decent people around both on the forums and ingame.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We have throughout our posts on multiple occasions, gone to great lengths to ensure that others realize We are giving our opinions and our personal experiences. Every one of our posts is worded in such a fashion as to specify that.

And I was referring to this...........
    We only posted in this thread because it sometimes helps to have an objective opinion

Objective?
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    <snip>

Actually, I am sorry to inform you, moving or not, it can still be you. If you have a habit of visiting sites that install adware and malware that will cripple your internet connection. If you are using a wifi but have like multiple devices hooked up, that will also cripple your internet connection. Furthermore, if moving meant you moved at best across a city that doesn't always change the route your connection goes through. If there is a bad hub, then there is a bad hub and there is little Cryptic can do to fix it. That's on your ISP and/or the hubs they connect through. Very few nights I've actually had connection issues with the game, and in fact if most people can claim that same, then really, it's hard to sit there and say Cryptic is singling you out. That's just intentionally finding fault somewhere it isn't.

If you are having problems, I suggest you actually start looking for diagnoses instead of auto-magically assuming you are being targeted. Companies like Cryptic aren't in the habit of singling out people and only them on a connection with hundreds of thousands of other users on. And there are quite a few people around in this game that can actually help you find the problem, and help you resolve it. Just because you access internet browsers fine doesn't mean your connection is good.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    We don't see the 'benefits' of LTS as being worth it, personally. It's $300.00 USD, that's a fair bit of money even if it's being discounted by 33%. We don't consider dropping that much cash on a game that seems to be on life-support as being worth it, especially when our personal experience left us playing for a few weeks after We got it and then largely abandoning it. Even though We have been trying to get back into it and love it again on some level, at least.

Unless you are referencing the voices in your head, there is no we or us. You speak only for yourself. Or is this some kind of hive mind/borg styled role playing?

There are problems with the game that are both community and company inspired. The lack of communication is a problem, but so is the reaction that players often give, though some of that is because of the lack of communication and the appearance of limited support for the game. There is a cause and effect for every action.
    And how is yours not a biased positive spin? You criticize us for voicing our opinions, but you're allowed to voice yours without being questioned?

You know, We really don't need to justify ourselves to you. We are allowed to say whatever We want on the forums, regardless of whether you agree with it personally or not. You have the right to say whatever you want, just don't expect us to respond any further to defend ourselves; there's no reason for us to. There wasn't to begin with, We were just trying to be reasonable.

The problem is not with you voicing your opinion and the criticism, both are very important for the game. The problem is the use of we, us, and our. Try voicing your concerns and criticism with out making it look like you are trying to speak for more then yourself. The responses you will likely be more focused on the points in your posts that way.
  • Options
    warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    C'mon people.
    I can't be the only one assuming Jades' use of "We" might mean other members of her household or some friends. Her consistent use leads me to this assumption. Not the other assumption of meaning "all of the rest of us."

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    warcanch wrote: »
    C'mon people.
    I can't be the only one assuming Jades' use of "We" might mean other members of her household or some friends. Her consistent use leads me to this assumption. Not the other assumption of meaning "all of the rest of us."

Without context such as a statement of "My Family and I" assuming she means it like she thinks she's the Queen of England at best sounds facetious and at worst sounds like she thinks she is above everyone else.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    dr490nbr347hidr490nbr347hi Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    What the hell is this? I go to upgrade to a LTS and

'Error updating subscription' And.. Now my sub is cancelled?!

@dr490nbr347hi / Playing since January 25, '11
    Display normal Internet behavior. Come and make fun (yes, make fun) of my PRIMUS page.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    It's the "royal we". Jade's attempting to position him/her/itself as some form of royalty, probably without any serious intent.

Although the phrase "objective opinion" strikes me as being along the same lines as "jumbo shrimp", "military intelligence", or "honest politician"...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    As We've stated, We've tried multiple browsers and even an entirely new and different computer.
    Was all the software fresh installed at that time or was it brought over via software (i.e. PCMover) or similar means? I've had problems leap across machines before in the effort to keep all my data / programs intact. Also, is there a contact / friend physically available with a machine that can access account information that you could try and access your own account through and see if the same problem occurs? If the same machine logging in the same way to different accounts produces different results then it would definitely imply an account issue as opposed to machine / software / configs being involved.
    warcanch wrote: »
    I can't be the only one assuming Jades' use of "We" might mean other members of her household or some friends.
    That is what I've tried to assume, however the capitalization of it mid-sentence that Jade performs is sort of unusual for that purpose. :)
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Leave it to the usual suspects to get bent out of shape over unorthodox posting habits. Wherever you are KRUUUNCH, I salute you.

If anyone is thinking of possibly getting an LTS, I'd do it now or risk having to wait another long stretch of time before it goes on sale again. I'd also suggest not trying to gather your "what do you guys think?" responses form the forums, for obvious reasons.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'm not so much doing a "what do you guys think" but a "has TT or anyone at Cryptic said anything recently about CO's long term plans that I might have missed or was communicated elsewhere e.g. randomly in Zone chat"?

It looks like so far the best we have to go by is the comment made 2 weeks ago.

I'm subbed right now so I can hold out till I see some more signs, whether an official comment or something new in the next PTS patch notes.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    to get an idea, whether to. Count the amount of green forum titles. if this number is greater than 2. That is 1 person and a fool they persuaded,go for it
    I found 8 in only 4 pages , so it must be ok.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    edited June 2014
    Leave it to the usual suspects to get bent out of shape over unorthodox posting habits. Wherever you are KRUUUNCH, I salute you.

It was confusing. I myself honestly thought she was speaking for a group of people until chaelk had to explain that it was the "royal we" being used. If a third party has to explain the context of what was being said to fix the confusion then it's a good sign that it's not really a good way to communicate.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It was confusing. I myself honestly thought she was speaking for a group of people until chaelk had to explain that it was the "royal we" being used. If a third party has to explain the context of what was being said to fix the confusion then it's a good sign that it's not really a good way to communicate.

It's not the royal "we." We are not royal.

Also it doesn't matter, if you can't be bothered to fire a few extra neurons to actually read our messages and think, We can't be bothered to explain anything to you. Because it's really not confusing unless you're either A. ) not paying attention or B. ) Incredibly unintelligent, to put it bluntly. Perhaps willfully so for the sake of attempting to 'troll' us.

Simple as that.

This Community is just proving how toxic it is by instead of choosing to address the actual subject of this thread, trying to rip us apart for differences. Probably as a means of an attempt to invalidate our opinions. You are actually DEMONSTRATING our points in real-time, so well done.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    This Community is just proving how toxic it is by instead of choosing to address the actual subject of this thread, trying to rip us apart for differences.

Fair enough. Setting aside the fascinating topic of nosism, I was curious of your response to the troubleshooting thoughts in my previous message in this thread. Maybe if we could isolate the source of the account connection issues then those factors at least could be removed as a source of your frustration with the game?
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    It's not the royal "we." We are not royal.

Also it doesn't matter, if you can't be bothered to fire a few extra neurons to actually read our messages and think, We can't be bothered to explain anything to you. Because it's really not confusing unless you're either A. ) not paying attention or B. ) Incredibly unintelligent, to put it bluntly. Perhaps willfully so for the sake of attempting to 'troll' us.

Simple as that.

This Community is just proving how toxic it is by instead of choosing to address the actual subject of this thread, trying to rip us apart for differences. Probably as a means of an attempt to invalidate our opinions. You are actually DEMONSTRATING our points in real-time, so well done.

You never actually bothered to explain the context of using "we" instead of "I", and at this point that seems to be that you're not actually speaking for a group of people. Not realizing it from the start means I haven't been using "a few extra neurons" or are "incredibly unintelligent"?

Maybe you speaking in hive-mind mode is your style of writing, like how some people like to write in third-person. Personally I wouldn't have cared if you bothered to explain it in a civil manner without insulting my intelligence. But hey, kudos to you on your high horse. I'm soooo deeply sorry for not immediately getting your weirdo multi-personality lingo.

Hey, you want to make this personal? I can play that game too.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    serpinecoh wrote: »
    Fair enough. Setting aside the fascinating topic of nosism, I was curious of your response to the troubleshooting thoughts in my previous message in this thread. Maybe if we could isolate the source of the account connection issues then those factors at least could be removed as a source of your frustration with the game?

Yeah. We'll answer you, and probably only you. We're not doing this stupid bickering crap and being pulled into another pointless forum flame pile-up anymore.

Thank you personally for being reasonable, though and trying to be helpful and constructive.

Was all the software fresh installed at that time or was it brought over via software (i.e. PCMover) or similar means? I've had problems leap across machines before in the effort to keep all my data / programs intact. Also, is there a contact / friend physically available with a machine that can access account information that you could try and access your own account through and see if the same problem occurs? If the same machine logging in the same way to different accounts produces different results then it would definitely imply an account issue as opposed to machine / software / configs being involved.

That is what I've tried to assume, however the capitalization of it mid-sentence that Jade performs is sort of unusual for that purpose. :)

The software was, yes. The computer was entirely new, just built, and had nothing previously installed. In fact in the time that this problem has been happening, We've also actually moved.

It's not our ISP, it's not our computer's hardware, it's not our software, so that leaves us with only one logical conclusion, which is that it must be something Cryptic-side that perhaps isn't agreeing with something on our side.

We've actually talked to Cryptic Customer Support in the past about it, they weren't able to provide any information or trouble-shooting that was actually useful. Their response was;
    Response Via Email (GM) 10/26/2012 03:03 PM
    Hello

Thank you for contacting us about your login issue.

What account name are you using?

Did you try using a different web browser? (We suggest using Chrome)

Is your password more than 14 characters? If it is please try to enter only the first 14 characters to log in.

We'd tried a different web-browser already, We'd cleared cache, contacted support, etc and nothing had solved it. We eventually didn't respond back to them because We figured out the round-about way of accessing our account information by logging in through the forums, which is the only place We're actually able to log in.

As We've mentioned and as another player has said in this thread, they've had the same problems that We have. We also know for a fact because We've heard it from others that many others have experienced the same issues, so it's not like We've just configured out computer poorly or We have malware or something. Clearly this isn't an issue with our side, at least it doesn't logically seem like it could be.

Do you have any suggestions?
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited June 2014
    Login and account problems are PWE related issues, namely Arc related.

It hits people at random, at NWO or STO as well.

And it started precisely when PWE initiated their migration to Arc.

Their support is mostly clueless about the issue, thankfully these problems seems to be showing only at certain times of the day.

It's just that PWE should stop this tryng-too-hard-wannabe-Valve daydreaming trainwreck and accept the truth that it's pointless and they will never match Valve.

They just aren't even close to the Valve's level in, well, pretty much anything. :tongue:

It only produces more problems for them and their customers.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Do you have any suggestions?

Nothing concrete, it sounds like you've done due diligence on the matter.

I will note however that when I try to connect using the given http link ( http://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/edit?sub_type=S-CO ) it thinks for a while and then blows out. However when I use almost the same link but starting with https instead ( https://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/edit?sub_type=S-CO ) I can login and proceed to my account information correctly without issue.

So it would seem (at least for my connectivity) that the website swapping over to the secure server (something that normally happens pretty transparently and without error on commerce handling / bill paying sites) might have some issues that starting the login secure immediately (using https) can get around. Since at least some problems might involve that transition, that could imply some others: I.e. Some virus/browser settings require secure sites to get white listed as trusted to allow any functions.

Not sure if this helps at all, just my initial observations.

UPDATE: I was discussing this topic with my wife and she told me she had a friend with a near identical issue with setting up an account for Neverwinter some months ago that likewise was resolved by substituting https for http at the appropriate point.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I will note however that when I try to connect using the given http link ( http://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/edit?sub_type=S-CO ) it thinks for a while and then blows out. However when I use almost the same link but starting with https instead ( https://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/edit?sub_type=S-CO ) I can login and proceed to my account information correctly without issue.

So it would seem (at least for my connectivity) that the website swapping over to the secure server (something that normally happens pretty transparently and without error on commerce handling / bill paying sites) might have some issues that starting the login secure immediately (using https) can get around. Since at least some problems might involve that transition, that could imply some others: I.e. Some virus/browser settings require secure sites to get white listed as trusted to allow any functions.

Not sure if this helps at all, just my initial observations.

UPDATE: I was discussing this topic with my wife and she told me she had a friend with a near identical issue with setting up an account for Neverwinter some months ago that likewise was resolved by substituting https for http at the appropriate point.

The https link works for us as well.

The link on the page (http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/5007543) still displays this, though;

942269f4d055c03ddecee6104d27654c.png

Which still highlights the reason We chastised Cryptic. Because the link on their advertisement page evidently does not work for many people, they've effectively sabotaged themselves on some level by poor design or lack of attention. Some who may be thinking about purchasing a sub or LTS would immediately be turned off, or at the very least logically wary of a website and company who apparently can't even post a link right.

See, We're torn. We partially want them to get more subscribers because of a naive hope that if they get more subscribers, maybe they'll improve on the game with the acquired revenue. But alternatively, We also don't want people making hasty decisions based off naive hope like We did, so We'd like them to have contrary opinions to those expressed here by others in regards to LTS being worth it.

If Cryptic would just add some actual meaningful content, the LTS would then become far more worth it. But in our opinions, a game that has so little support, no real or meaningful updates, and that seems to get so little attention even when it comes to posting a link, yeah.. Like We've reiterated, that makes us feel like our LTS purchase was a waste.

Who knows? Cryptic could still pull a miracle, We just seriously doubt it. Even as easy as We believe as it would be to restore faith in the Community (by actually updating the game with meaningful additions), We don't actually believe they will do it.

Hopefully they'll prove us wrong.
    Login and account problems are PWE related issues, namely Arc related.

It hits people at random, at NWO or STO as well.

And it started precisely when PWE initiated their migration to Arc.

Their support is mostly clueless about the issue, thankfully these problems seems to be showing only at certain times of the day.

It's just that PWE should stop this tryng-too-hard-wannabe-Valve daydreaming trainwreck and accept the truth that it's pointless and they will never match Valve.

They just aren't even close to the Valve's level in, well, pretty much anything. :tongue:

It only produces more problems for them and their customers.

Mh, it's been happening since far before the Arc thing for us. Several years, like We said. Through new computers, different software, and even moving all over the place. We're not sure what's causing it, but We're only left to draw the logical conclusion after having done everything We can to trouble-shoot that it's something on their side.

Buuuut, yeah..

They do certainly seem to be trying to emulate Valve, as are a few companies. PWE with Arc and Raptr to name two in particular.
  • Options
    edited June 2014

I just tried the website and also got connection errors on three seperate browsers. When I used https:// instead of http it immediately brought me to the login page, so yeah, looks like a problem on Cryptic's part.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I just tried the website and also got connection errors on three seperate browsers. When I used https:// instead of http it immediately brought me to the login page, so yeah, looks like a problem on Cryptic's part.

You_don't_say.png
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    What's the matter Jadetora? Didn't you say you're "not doing this stupid bickering crap and being pulled into another pointless forum flame pile-up anymore", to quote your own words? I guess using a meme to respond to me sarcastically is your way of not doing it?

It's okay, that superior intellect and an over-abundance of neurons should more than make up for the hypocritical behavior.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Respectfully, I think the issue with the community can be boiled down pretty easily. If you're gonna talk and post in an obtuse manner, you're gonna catch heat for it. I initially took exception to the We thing, it seemed condescending. Then I started talking to you, and you seemed cool, so I figured it was just wanton silliness taking hold and paid it no attention. But, if you're gonna talk in a way that's outside the norm intentionally? You pretty much ask for the reaction going on in this thread. Sad, but true. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. You say "We", I pretend to be sentient mexican food. Takes all sorts, and we're a game that attracts this sort of shenanigans.

I will say that it makes it easy to track you down in channels. We share a few, and I can always tell right off who you are. So if that's the intent, gold star, it works like a charm.

I've gotten the connection issues a multitude of times, but I've also ran a tracert to the servers when it's happening and I get dropped between there and here. Sometimes it's pwe, lots of times it's someone along the way. But, while it's a bit of a concern, I can't see occasional outages as *too* big of a deal. It's the internet, those'll happen. Even google gets em. FWIW when I went to buy my lts about a month ago? I got right in to the pay screen, through arc. No problems. When I picked up the subscriptions of a few friends around the same time? I got right into the pay screen no problems. It seems intermittent on my end, not sure how everyone else is experiencing the issues so I'm not pretending to speak for the whole.

Wanna know what my big issue is? Google still takes you to the old site for a lot of REALLY important information. Like, yesterday, I was looking up the laser sword powers to get specific details on one of em for a build. And then the auto-redirect kicked in, and took me to the very front page of arc. This meant that with the wiki gone (and I *really* gotta shake my laziness off and contact lohr about getting the backups so I can rehost it) I had literally *no* way to get info on the powers, as powerhouse just gives a basic overview. I've been trying to give people the info on the arc promo for hideouts, but again. Redirect before you can get the code, I have to break the scripting to get it. When a redesign of a website directly denies us access to the information the website exists to provide? That's a failure on a basic and complete level, it negates the entire purpose of the site in the first place.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Respectfully, I think the issue with the community can be boiled down pretty easily. If you're gonna talk and post in an obtuse manner, you're gonna catch heat for it. I initially took exception to the We thing, it seemed condescending. Then I started talking to you, and you seemed cool, so I figured it was just wanton silliness taking hold and paid it no attention. But, if you're gonna talk in a way that's outside the norm intentionally? You pretty much ask for the reaction going on in this thread. Sad, but true. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. You say "We", I pretend to be sentient mexican food. Takes all sorts, and we're a game that attracts this sort of shenanigans.

I will say that it makes it easy to track you down in channels. We share a few, and I can always tell right off who you are. So if that's the intent, gold star, it works like a charm.

I've gotten the connection issues a multitude of times, but I've also ran a tracert to the servers when it's happening and I get dropped between there and here. Sometimes it's pwe, lots of times it's someone along the way. But, while it's a bit of a concern, I can't see occasional outages as *too* big of a deal. It's the internet, those'll happen. Even google gets em. FWIW when I went to buy my lts about a month ago? I got right in to the pay screen, through arc. No problems. When I picked up the subscriptions of a few friends around the same time? I got right into the pay screen no problems. It seems intermittent on my end, not sure how everyone else is experiencing the issues so I'm not pretending to speak for the whole.

Wanna know what my big issue is? Google still takes you to the old site for a lot of REALLY important information. Like, yesterday, I was looking up the laser sword powers to get specific details on one of em for a build. And then the auto-redirect kicked in, and took me to the very front page of arc. This meant that with the wiki gone (and I *really* gotta shake my laziness off and contact lohr about getting the backups so I can rehost it) I had literally *no* way to get info on the powers, as powerhouse just gives a basic overview. I've been trying to give people the info on the arc promo for hideouts, but again. Redirect before you can get the code, I have to break the scripting to get it. When a redesign of a website directly denies us access to the information the website exists to provide? That's a failure on a basic and complete level, it negates the entire purpose of the site in the first place.

We say We in a fashion no differently than others say I and 'me.'

The only difference here is people are choosing to be pointlessly judgmental and wordy about it. We don't make a big deal about it, if you've spoken to us then you know that We try to get along with people typically. We try to not make it a 'thing,' but other people do that instead. It's stupid and petty.

It also has no place in threads like these.

Fact of the matter is, We have tried to explain ourselves to others in the past and it served no purpose. In our experiences, expecting understanding and common decency and courtesy out of people is, well.. an absurd expectation.

We don't claim to be better than anyone else, We never have and We never will.

What We won't ever do is tailor ourselves to fit anyone's cardboard cutout expectation because that's not who We are. And We're okay with ourselves, okay enough that We are willing to face unwarranted ridicule in spite of it all because in the end nothing anyone says or does against us matters anyway. Other peoples' perceptions of us do not define our own, their assumptions about us are typically incorrect and way off base, and if they'd just take the time to actually stop, talk to us in a friendly fashion, and really get to know us, they'd probably find that We're not as bad as they want to think We are.

However that would take effort.

It's far easier to just try and bully, gang up on, and beat down the person/thing that's different, that's what society has always taught Humanity. That's how Humanity has always been. History is littered with examples of this sort of snap bigotry and it's still happening today in slightly different ways to slightly different people, but it always happens.

It's a reality We face. It's a reality We're willing to face.

It's not that We don't accept it's going to happen by being ourselves, but We try to point out to others that they really don't need to treat us like that, because what's it achieving? Just because We know it may happen and expect it will probably happen doesn't mean We have to just keep quiet about it all the time and take it.

It also doesn't mean We really care that much.

Because like We said.

Anyone else' opinions, perceptions of us, etc do not define us; they do not define who We are or anything else about us.

But this thread isn't about us, this thread isn't about how We talk, and it's not about you judging other people for being slightly different and trying to alienate them.

So following this post, We're vacating the forums for the time being. Frankly this is all silly and childish.

And yes, We were a tad hypocritical. We chose a moment to point out the arrogance We perceived from another user. Guess what? Everyone's guilty of perceived hypocrisy somewhere.

We could explain it, We could explain ourselves at large.. but what's the point when no one's willing to actually listen?
  • Options
    sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Is your password more than 14 characters? If it is please try to enter only the first 14 characters to log in.

OK, am I the only one who saw that and had to suppress the urge to reach through the monitor and Gibbs Slap the PWE and/or Cryptic account management developer who screwed up the authentication chain with a 14-character limit on passwords?

First friggin' woodpecker, I swear to God...
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    We say We in a fashion no differently than others say I and 'me.'

The only difference here is people are choosing to be pointlessly judgmental and wordy about it. We don't make a big deal about it, if you've spoken to us then you know that We try to get along with people typically. We try to not make it a 'thing,' but other people do that instead. It's stupid and petty.

I'm just going to quote this part out of that over-dramatical wall of text because wow, the hypocrisy behind that part in bold.

I addressed your usage of "we" as something that can be misunderstood since the context of you using "we" in your posts was never explained from the start. The closest logical conclusion to you using "we" was highlighted by others as the "royal we" because that's the only context of using "we" as a singular definition. I was being civil in pointing that out and never made any judgemental remarks about the way you used "we", but pointed out the communication issues to do with it. My intention was not to "gang up" with the others either.

What was your response to it? You insulted my intelligence for not "getting it" and then make up the convenient excuse of not being bothered to explain it because of that, which is ironic because you never did bother to explain it from the start period. So you say people are choosing to be pointlessly judgmental, and then fail to realize that the way you responded to me was every bit as judgmental as it can get? What's more, you have the audacity to hint that I was being arrogant? You have the audacity to imply that you're somehow being bullied?

Give me a break. You think you're being unjustifiably mistreated and want to leave the thread, so be it, but by golly don't act like you didn't do the same sort of things that you're complaining being the target of here.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    The link on the page (http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/champions-online/detail/5007543) still displays this, though;
    There are actually three links on the page, two of them (the image ones) to http and the other (in the text) to https. I've sent a messages to them about the http / https thing this morning. Maybe it will help.
    Mh, it's been happening since far before the Arc thing for us. Several years, like We said.
    The same issue with links posted without the https? If there are more presently floating around it would be good to tabulate them.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    I don't know if it helps but I sent trailturtle a PM about it. Maybe he can let the web administrator know of the link problem.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Trying to alienate?

I said directly that I didn't care and that it takes all sorts. I said I talked to you and you seemed cool. I actually defended it, while pointing out that people will attack that which is different. The irony in the fact that you attacked me while I was saying that you were nice, with a wall of text while saying I was being overly wordy, is actually palpable. So fine, if I'm gonna be attacked for saying it's a harmless quirk, allow me to change my opinion of you. If we're gonna do this, let's do this. Hold on, lemme load the shotgun.

No, you affected this yourself. You *choose* to do this. I can wear a tutu all the time if I want, that's my right. You can talk however you want to. That's your right. I can call you a tryhard attention seeker for intentionally acting different from everyone else, and throwing histrionic meltdowns at people for questioning it. That's my right. Nobody has to accept you for being intentionally different, that's not how any of this works. You're not afforded instant respect just for existing, that's just a bull**** lie they tell you in school, and real life doesn't work that way. Respect is *earned*. I'm reminded of the teenage mall goths who do **** like this: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_2NEuKgGJyMU/SeiyT6_3ERI/AAAAAAAAH7s/gjPApbDqTtI/s400/sassy-goth.jpg and then get all mad when people stare at em. You can't do things to be intentionally different and then get mad when people notice that you're doing things to be intentionally different. Having a victim mentality every time anyone points it out is just flat out absurd, you *know* you're intentionally talking in a very unusual manner. It's not like you have a freaking handicap or anything, attacking people and calling them stupid for justifiably asking why the hell you do it isn't doing you any favors.

If you're gonna intentionally deviate from the norm in such a drastic manner, you'll do well to grow a thicker skin. Curious where you saw arrogance in my original post, especially since I flat out said I didn't give a **** and that I'm strange too. I see a ton of arrogance in your response, however, I think my initial assessment of your personality based on your ridiculous speech pattern was probably closer to the mark.

Funny, though, you're all "this thread isn't about me", then ignored the more than half of my post that actually was about the issue at hand.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    You can't do things to be intentionally different and then get mad when people notice that you're doing things to be intentionally different.

When I was younger I used to do a lot of slightly off things like answer exactly how bad I was feeling when people asked "How are you today", demanding friends / family who called me on the phone to explain what their business was (when it was an obvious social call), not thanking service workers for what I considered "just doing their job", ignoring privacy, not limiting myself to what a "reasonable" question was in polite society, etc. Basically I was on a sort of "anti-pleasantry" quest for some reason. And of course if anybody reacted bad I'd note it and make fun of them for their reactions.

Then one day I had dinner with an old high school friend and her boyfriend, and this guy had exactly the same affectation (even similar phrasing) I did. Observing those behaviors from outside being directed at me (and my friend, the poor waiter, and everybody else in the vicinity) made me suddenly realize just how much discomfort I was causing to people for no good reason. It also made me value my other friends more for putting up with how much of a jerk I was...
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    You know, this whole kerfluffle could've been avoided with a simple text signature, saying something like "Our use of the royal we should not be misconstrued as intent to speak for others beyond ourself, unless we explicitly specify otherwise." Otherwise, well, it's the internet; if your statements can be misinterpreted, they will be, and it's likely that won't even be on purpose. (See also: sarcasm, and how hard it is to tell the difference between a genuine statement and a sarcastic one when all there is is text.)

On-topic: yay LTS sale. Very tempting to pick up one for a secondary account. (My main account has been LTS for... actually I think maybe something like a year now? Huh, where does the time go...)
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    morigosa wrote: »
    Very tempting to pick up one for a secondary account. (My main account has been LTS for... actually I think maybe something like a year now? Huh, where does the time go...)
    I'd never be able to keep up to date on costume unlocks for two accounts myself. "Fortunately" I don't have LTS yet and have two family members who also want it, so this is the least of my worries. :)

On the upside, last night thanks to the current sale I managed to convince a friend who was just planning on giving the game a trial with a free account to switch up to gold (3 month) instead... Its wishful thinking to imagine I can encourage him to pop for LTS by the end of the month, but we will see what the next two weeks hold.
  • Options
    morigosamorigosa Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I'd never be able to keep up to date on costume unlocks for two accounts myself. "Fortunately" I don't have LTS yet and have two family members who also want it, so this is the least of my worries. :)

On the upside, last night thanks to the current sale I managed to convince a friend who was just planning on giving the game a trial with a free account to switch up to gold (3 month) instead... Its wishful thinking to imagine I can encourage him to pop for LTS by the end of the month, but we will see what the next two weeks hold.

Oh, I'm not planning on keeping the second account up to date on costume unlocks; it's hard enough to make sure I have the resources to keep one account up-to-date on all these lockbox costumes. No, I'm planning on using it to have open freeform slots I can let friends try the game on, and looting its stipend to buy things that don't bind to account; I still don't have a super magnifier, for example, and I don't see myself getting one any time soon. Too many shiny costume sets that have priority.

Good luck with your friend; personally, I found freeform to be a really major game-changer - without it, the game was kinda meh; with it, I can actually have fun playing.
    (Edit: But I know there are also people that are the other way around - they find the amount of choices a freeform has to be intimidating, and actually prefer to play ATs. To be fair, it did take me something like six or seven utter failures before I started being able to make freeform characters that worked for me.)