test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can you be a villain

neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
Just wondering if you could be a villain in this game. Good game by the way.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nope, this is Champions Online, not Superpowered Schmucks Online. We're all heroes on this bus, or at least good-aligned antiheroes. (Nepht likes to roleplay as an antivillain - taking out the other bad guys so she can eliminate the competition while simultaneously fooling the heroes into trusting her - but that's as close to "villain" as we get.)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited September 2013

You can be a hero, and create a villian as your nemesis, but at the moment you cannot be a faction based villian. Its something alot of people would be enthralled about. But hasn't come across their immediate to do list yet. One day hopefully....one day. I know a faction based villian system would pick up pvp play by a HUUUGE AMOUNT.
  • klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can if you use enough imagination! :D>

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can create a villain in the creator, just not play as one--unless you roleplay like the above posts state.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • neverwinter1973neverwinter1973 Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ariesmajor wrote: »
    You can be a hero, and create a villian as your nemesis, but at the moment you cannot be a faction based villian. Its something alot of people would be enthralled about. But hasn't come across their immediate to do list yet. One day hopefully....one day. I know a faction based villian system would pick up pvp play by a HUUUGE AMOUNT.

Yeah, DCUO has a villain side, I think that's why their pvp system is so popular. I'm still a supernube over here so I'm not familiar with the pvp system.

Thanks for your reply.
  • despairsrequiemdespairsrequiem Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    Nope, this is Champions Online, not Superpowered Schmucks Online. )

wow are you always so jaded or is it only to the people you don't see often on the forums >_>.

Look Topic creator, hero and villian is a matter of perception, of course in this game your always registered to the masses as a hero, but so was Adolf Hitler in his day... You'll find in this super hero game a lot more hero and villain like social experiences than you'd have ever imagined that will test you and result in you either walking the path of a villain or a better man... or even a mix of both, a game in which your perception on the reality around you will alter your take on the events and players in the game. This is your chance to fuse the game of "hero" with the game of life. Players are people, and some will cheat you, some will rob you, some will become your friend and steal everything you ever had, others will help you, protect you, aid you in every way possible, and the thing is... everyone is wearing a mask. Good luck, a champion is neither a hero nor villain, simply a man (or woman) with his own hopes and aspirations given the title for simply attempting to seek what lies down that road.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nope, this is Champions Online, not Superpowered Schmucks Online. We're all heroes on this bus, or at least good-aligned antiheroes. (Nepht likes to roleplay as an antivillain - taking out the other bad guys so she can eliminate the competition while simultaneously fooling the heroes into trusting her - but that's as close to "villain" as we get.)

The wolves I foam finger in the club think im pretty evil >:C
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Make a story that make you sound evil. In games like DCUO the heroes and villains thing is mostly to have two factions duke it out in world PvP.
  • needlessreaper88needlessreaper88 Posts: 37
    edited September 2013
    MY AVATAR SAVED WRONG!
    But anyways... I roleplay a villain from time to time. If the devs had an option for being a villain or antivillain, Champions Online might actually get more players.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    But anyways... I roleplay a villain from time to time. If the devs had an option for being a villain or antivillain, Champions Online might actually get more players.

You have to understand. This is Champions Online. I'm sure you saw 'be the hero you want to be', but it's actually 'be the hero that looks the way you want them to look and has the powers you want them to have but you're just doing the same thing every other hero is doing'.

I completely agree with you, but don't get your hopes up. People have asked for this since day one, but no one sees the value in it because lockboxes vehicles whatever.
  • kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    They won't even update the Nemesis system.....:frown:
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    The original poster's question has been answered.

Being able to do villainous deeds is desired, no doubt. I support entering the game world as a meta who has not decided how to use their powers yet.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    You can use Viper's costume pieces and parade around RenCen freely while telling every hero you meet that you're an agent of Viper.

Don't worry, you won't get your butt hauled into prison. Play a villain all you want.
  • lavoszxlavoszx Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i wish we could be villains, Monty's Black Knight, Kinetic Kitteh and countless others of mine from CoH demand to be alive again even if somewhat altered in looks!
  • lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    lavoszx wrote: »
    i wish we could be villains, Monty's Black Knight, Kinetic Kitteh and countless others of mine from CoH demand to be alive again even if somewhat altered in looks!

So go make them in GTA or Saint's Row or something. Champions isn't about robbing banks and murdering innocent people. It's about being a superhero.

Also maybe take a spelling class.
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited September 2013
    You can roleplay as a villain and just treat all your ingame missions out of character. Unless it suits your character for whatever reason.

You can NOT play missions as a villain.

Now, the villains faction works in DCUO but there is one thing about it - it was ingame from the very beginning.

Including second faction in CO now would make very little sense even if Cryptic had time and resources for doing it.
    City of Villains wasn't a big financial succes for CoX and probably because it was added later and always had problems with keeping up with the heroes side of the game.

I'm not sure if enough people would play as villains to justify development costs. It works in DCUO because it's tied to their PvP system. Well... PvP in CO is hardly a driving force behind the game, and let's say it loud - it's debalanced and playable mostly for diehards.

And let's not talk about how hard would be to make a proper villain side, where you are a real proactive character. Not a glorified minion.

Finally, IIRC CO is T-rated or something like that. It's not really suited for a game when you can do missions focused on things like bank robbery and kidnapping.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    The wolves I foam finger in the club think im pretty evil >:C

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1xmAC9Qu908
    So go make them in GTA or Saint's Row or something. Champions isn't about robbing banks and murdering innocent people. It's about being a superhero.

Also maybe take a spelling class.

This kind of crap right here. This.

1- It's not a stupid request by any means. Those other two Superhero MMORPG's? They had a villain option. Both of them did far better than Champions Online could ever hope to do, and you know it. Sure, one might be closed. But don't sit and tell me that CO's population won't take a hit if that game comes back or a similar game gets remade. The other is a bit mindless and limited- but it's still doing better than CO by a long shot. Correlation isn't causation, but let's not pretend that it's not a factor when people complain about being bored after doing the same thing over and over.

2- There are varying degrees of villain, and they can be an interesting character. Not every villain is a baby-eating, puppy-kicking, murder-loving sociopath. If CO's 'hero' roleplaying community is to be believed, taking a life in combat against an enemy makes you 'no better than them', so apparently 'villain' isn't so bad. While some villains from the precious Silver Age had no substance other than 'is bad man', the best villains throughout comics had some motivation- an understandable reason for being the way they are. Yes, we still have the guys who are just selfish monsters, but there are several villains whose desires to make the world a better place don't fall in line with the Spandex & Tights carebear mindset.

3- You people always gripe and whine about players who complain about things in CO are 'running off players'- but here we have someone blatantly saying 'if it doesn't have the option you want, GTFO'. If there's a toxic thing in this community, this is it.
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Totally not a villain game and never likely to be...
    In order to have a villain side you will need 40 levels of content, that content is likely to test the imagination of the dev team doing it severely. Heroes respond to emergencies, villains initiate the emergencies, it's kinda hard to think up story arcs to fit this and 40 levels is a lot of stuff.

Realistic proposals (or at least vaguely doable if Cryptic North ever gets the lead out of it's ****).
    1. Villain side in PVP
    How about strapping on a become Therakiel device and fighting a team of 5 heroes in the finale of Apocalypse Aversion for example. How about having the option to play the villain in PVP alerts? This would give the no hope PVP (aka theme or PVE) builds an alternative to hiding at the back in ZA.

2. More options in the Nemesis system (if they ever get round to upgrading this)
    A story arc could be added to the Nemesis system which specified your nemesis as some kind of galactic peacekeeper/headhunter. Who would be focussed on hunting you down and bringing you to justice, dialogue and missions to suit!

Neither of these are be the villain you want to be but do allow for a measure of the player being the villain.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • spinnytopspinnytop Posts: 16,450 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    What would we even do as villains?

What, would we have alerts where we blow away a bunch of cops and then team up on Defender at the end?

Or world missions where we blow away groups of cops and until soldiers over and over?

No really... when you think about playing a villain... make sure you're thinking about it in the context of this game.
  • ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    spinnytop wrote: »
    What would we even do as villains?

What, would we have alerts where we blow away a bunch of cops and then team up on Defender at the end?

Or world missions where we blow away groups of cops and until soldiers over and over?

No really... when you think about playing a villain... make sure you're thinking about it in the context of this game.

we'd end up doing the same thing we do as heroes but in reverse. For instance, instead of stopping a prison break, we'd help cause a prison break, by defeating armored guards, policeman and other hyper cops. Instead of trying to stop Dr. Destroyer, Dr. Destroyer would be our Defender. And during the Villian nemcon instead of fighting Destroyer at the end, you'd fight Defender.

Villians are just heroes in reverse and vice versa. All the same context and ideas about what a hero does apply here, just think about them in reverse and viola you have your villian mission.
  • jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Look Topic creator, hero and villian is a matter of perception, of course in this game your always registered to the masses as a hero, but so was Adolf Hitler in his day... You'll find in this super hero game a lot more hero and villain like social experiences than you'd have ever imagined that will test you and result in you either walking the path of a villain or a better man... or even a mix of both, a game in which your perception on the reality around you will alter your take on the events and players in the game. This is your chance to fuse the game of "hero" with the game of life. Players are people, and some will cheat you, some will rob you, some will become your friend and steal everything you ever had, others will help you, protect you, aid you in every way possible, and the thing is... everyone is wearing a mask. Good luck, a champion is neither a hero nor villain, simply a man (or woman) with his own hopes and aspirations given the title for simply attempting to seek what lies down that road.

Yeah, what despairsrequiem said.
  • slumpywpgslumpywpg Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited September 2013

disagree that an anti-villain is somehow not just a type of villain. All of that sounds rather villainous to me.
    edited September 2013
    Nepht's Super ethical guide to being evil in CO.

1: Call yourself xXNinja KillaXx.

2: Make a ranged tank and kite like a boss ALL OVER the nemesis dockside dust off. Extra evil gold stars by doing it with nothing but moves that cause MASSIVE KB.

3: Make a bronie toon.

4: Make a bronie SG.

5: In alerts heal players that don't need heals.

6: In said alerts with your level 6 bronie toon attack boss with EB only attacks and once the rest of the team do the alert for you become a camera hog so everyone can bask in your utter noobness.

7: Make a FF bronie toon and gank AT's in BASH. s0 pr0 br0.

8: Go on forums and cry some more about how said AT's ganked you in BASH and how they need nerfed.

9: Make Grond jokes.

10: Go on about the utter joys of Guild Wars 2 on the CoX channel.

11: Make a BL2 Zero clone equip 5 ice nades become a s0 pr0 br0. ( pvpers will get the last one :P )

12: Pre order an Xbone help fund the NSA.
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    or simply create a SG called Nepht's accolytes , nepth's Naughties or similar and do Nepth's suggestions, so they know who is responsible(or irresponsible, one of the two):P
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Being evil or good merely comes down to how you roleplay. Anything you do in the game to get resources, XP or items does not coincide with your character's background story.

Because it doesn't make sense for some good guy to go around beating up villains just so they can get some mods or something. That might as well make him a bad guy.
    edited September 2013
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Nepht's Super ethical guide to being evil in CO.

1: Call yourself xXNinja KillaXx.

2: Make a ranged tank and kite like a boss ALL OVER the nemesis dockside dust off. Extra evil gold stars by doing it with nothing but moves that cause MASSIVE KB.

3: Make a bronie toon.

4: Make a bronie SG.

5: In alerts heal players that don't need heals.

6: In said alerts with your level 6 bronie toon attack boss with EB only attacks and once the rest of the team do the alert for you become a camera hog so everyone can bask in your utter noobness.

7: Make a FF bronie toon and gank AT's in BASH. s0 pr0 br0.

8: Go on forums and cry some more about how said AT's ganked you in BASH and how they need nerfed.

9: Make Grond jokes.

11: Make a BL2 Zero clone equip 5 ice nades become a s0 pr0 br0. ( pvpers will get the last one :P )

12: Pre order an Xbone help fund the NSA.

I feel bad as I've done a good nine of these...
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited September 2013
    Epic. Just epic. :biggrin:
  • monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Never_use_spacebar_when_you_talk_in_chat_now_you_are_a_vilain.:tongue:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Never_use_spacebar_when_you_talk_in_chat_now_you_are_a_vilain.:tongue:

And you will be known as Underscore.
    Many know you also as Understrike, Underbar, Low Line, Underdash, Underline, Lower Part of Zee or Low Dash.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • avianosavianos Posts: 6,028 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Well you can always play as a Villain who was FORCED to Become a Hero to gain his Powers Back :biggrin:

Like one of my oldest characters!
    He was the Wacky Evil Lord of an Underground Golem Citivilation who wanted to take over HELL, but got his rear kicked by the Heroes!
    He was destroyed, reborn but... lost all his powers AND minions... so he has to fight to get them back... by being an Hero!
    Basically like the Plot of Cthulhu Saves The World

HILARITY ENSUES!
    POWERFRAME REVAMPS, NEW POWERS and BUG FIXES > Recycled Content and Events and even costumes at this point Introvert guy who use CO to make his characters playable and get experimental with Viable FF Theme builds! Running out of Unique FF builds due to the lack of updates and synergiesPlaying since 1 February 2011 98+ Characters (7 ATs, 91 FFs) ALTitis for Life!
  • fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Oh no, TVTROPES LINKS!

I'll see you all when I escape in fifty years. :frown:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
    edited September 2013
    I see some people seem to have "villain" confused with "Internet troll." Oh well....
  • gingervitosgingervitos Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I see some people seem to have "villain" confused with "Internet troll." Oh well....

Dude have you seen NCsoft's Wildstar it looks so boss.

Git Gud M8!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Cause I'm worth it. Playing since 2009.
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    ariesmajor wrote: »
    instead of stopping a prison break, we'd help cause a prison break

Ever since doing the first PRISON BREAK, I've always said we were never STOPPING one, we were HELPING TO CAUSE one. Because the Nemesis only escapes because WE WERE THERE.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
    edited September 2013
    warcanch wrote: »
    Ever since doing the first PRISON BREAK, I've always said we were never STOPPING one, we were HELPING TO CAUSE one. Because the Nemesis only escapes because WE WERE THERE.

How very... meta.
  • gunsang1gunsang1 Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Being a champion doesn't necessarily mean you do a good or a bad job. As long as the job is done.

Champion can be a very broad term... so a giant rock champion would crush the purple gangers and kill them to prevent world disaster as opposed to a martial artist champion disarming them.

There was a thread long ago that went into detail that pretty much explained that even a champion could be selfish, greedy, etc. Maybe while robbing a bank, you sneak a few bags... or you end up throwing your nemesis out the window a few floors to high. Stuff like that.

Your goals are generally just not aligned to the total destruction of earth and it's major protectors.
  • borg10f9borg10f9 Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited September 2013

I guess you could rationalize that the Nem would still be in jail if you hadn't done the mission. But you could then rationalize that since the game's purpose is to create scenarios where you can be a hero - by not playing you're lowering the City's crime rate. If we all avoided playing at all, Millenium city's problems would be over. But that's kind of like killing the patient so his disease doesn't spread.

Personally, I log in as often as possible, to generate as much crime as I can. It's the only way to be heroic.
    edited September 2013
  • warcanchwarcanch Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I figure you can ROLE PLAY anything.

My friend and I always have some underlying theme that we try to stick to for our alts.

For instance, our current pair (of Villains) will not do: "Help a Citizen" missions or any other type of "rescue" mission unless we justify the ends with our means.

-=-=-=-=-=-(CO in-game handle: @WarCan )-=-=-=-=-=-
    "Okay, you're DEAD, what do you do NEXT?"
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    gradii wrote: »
    you can role play that you are a VIPER agent who is scared of snakes, and only joined VIPER because of the dental plan! (currently undergoing snake desensitization therapy) :biggrin:
    Actually, that's kind of the background for my toon Backfire - he joined VIPER for the medical coverage, and too late found out that VIPER's medical plan included being used as an involuntary test subject at the Serpent's command. That's where he got his flame powers from - the same ones he used to bust out of containment with, before switching sides.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited September 2013
    I still dont know if the infamous radiant player " DEATH HEAL " is good or evil ...I need answers ._."
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I figure you can ROLE PLAY anything.

My friend and I always have some underlying theme that we try to stick to for our alts.

For instance, our current pair (of Villains) will not do: "Help a Citizen" missions or any other type of "rescue" mission unless we justify the ends with our means.

Yup. Psion The Psinister is my toon and Mentella's Nemesis, I created him in game and I will not do "heroic" missions unless I stand to gain something ICly :biggrin:

Citizen: Please help me!

Psion The Psinister: Remove yourself from my presence before I tear you apart atom by atom, with JUST my mind!!

*Citizen runs away screaming* :wink:

He is a one off though, I made him purely for screens, but then his build was interesting and powerful and he sort of became level 40 ._. :tongue:

Some missions where you work with bad guys like Early Worm Gets the Bird or some nemesis missions where you team with VIPER can be taken advantage of.

I even made a generic Telepathic Nemesis for him (The nemesis Telepathy set couldn't do Mentella justice. Ever. Aand it's complicated between Mentella and Psion xD)
  • decorumfriendsdecorumfriends Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    meedacthunist shows the weakness:

City of Villains wasn't a big financial succes for CoX and probably because it was added later and always had problems with keeping up with the heroes side of the game.

It didn't help that it utterly failed at giving a comic book super-villain experience. It was more or less just CoH reskinned and some names changed with different powers.

Heroes are generally reactive, and you can lead them along a storyline. Villains are generally more active, creating plots, leaving clues, creating trickery...almost impossible to create a general storyline to follow with that. CoV had you being a bunch of different people's flunkies for 90% of your arcs. It just didn't work like that.

Is DCUOs approach any better, or the same thing?
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited September 2013
    ariesmajor just wants reskinning:

we'd end up doing the same thing we do as heroes but in reverse. For instance, instead of stopping a prison break, we'd help cause a prison break, by defeating armored guards, policeman and other hyper cops. Instead of trying to stop Dr. Destroyer, Dr. Destroyer would be our Defender. And during the Villian nemcon instead of fighting Destroyer at the end, you'd fight Defender.

Villians are just heroes in reverse and vice versa. All the same context and ideas about what a hero does apply here, just think about them in reverse and viola you have your villian mission

I'm afraid that's what Jack thought when he created CoV. He was wrong, and so are you.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png
    edited September 2013
    Is DCUOs approach any better, or the same thing?
    No. Actually it's even worse. In CoV hou had at least Arachnos to justify working for some kind of strict organisation and give it a bit more "mercenary" approach.

In DCUO there is only a loose league of supervillains and you are doing things for them because you were told to do so.

Basically, you are their minion.
    In CO the only equivalent to Arachnos is VIPER, or maybe ARGENT. Good for Deathstroke types, but not very good for others.
    Either way, it's night impossible to create storyline for mastermind type villains.

Mercenaries may work for others and psychos may wreck things just for giggles, but to have an actual mastermind villain gameplay would require a RTS-like type of a game.
    edited September 2013
    Yuck. I should have expected as much from a game where you're basically getting Batman's coffee.

I think to successfully make a real-feel super-villain game, you'd probably have to make JUST that, and no hero side. It'd have to have a lot more active options and open-ended planning.
    'Dec out

QDSxNpT.png