test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whiteout #4: Close Encounters feedback thread.

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Another 2 outings both elite.
    Lev 34 Force build with KM, CW, FC, FB, FD, Support Drones and Conviction.
    Dealt with the ambush quite well thanx to Support Drones!
    Sasquatch very tough fight got killed once, summoned tame steelhead for second match, fought, blocked a lot, eventually steelhead got aggro and was able to run some charged cascades on him. Rinse repeat. Hard to kite with CW.

Lev 40 Defiance/Rage Electric and Might tank - no support drones.
    Hard time with the ambush, need another self heal as well as conviction.
    Dusted Sasquatch mostly with Haymaker taps, some lightning arc but haymaker feels like it works better.

Thought it was a good build test. Hard mobs and tough bosses.
    Oh yeah the roin commander was perceptibly easier on both.

Thanks be to something that I'm not silver.
    edited December 2011
    There is a bug, if you get knocked into a wall the Sasquatch resets his health and you must start all over again happened to me as well..
    edited December 2011
    Since i really wouldn't bother with Elite .. has anyone ever looked how much HPs the Sasquatch has on Elite ? :confused:
    edited December 2011
    Ok .. did it on Elite myself .. 57k Hitpoints :eek:
    edited December 2011
    Must be good ole country boy to be sporting hp like that Beldin.
    edited December 2011
    And Boss from Whiteout #2 .. he has "only" 31k on elite ;)

Attachment not found.
    edited December 2011
    I agree fully here. The HP of the sasquatch are unusually high, but you could probably leave them be, if the bugs in the fight are stomped out. Which means that the resetting needs to go away and he should be targetable anytime. I tried it with my main (sniper build/ lvl 40/ normal) and I had to use the Harajuku Twins or it would have been impossible. Every use of Evasive Maneuvers would have him resetting his HP.

Edit: The same for the Commander at the end. Make him targetable at all times. Evasie Maneuvers causes him to reset immediately.
    Edit #2: I got around it by swinging around the room and mowing them down with the assault rifle. :D They're melee bosses, so being airborne worked pretty well. But my point stands. :o
    edited December 2011
    I realy have enjoyed the comic series and hope you keep doing them. Aftershock was amazing especialy issue 4. It set the bar realy high, unfortuantly I dont think Whiteout is all it could've been so far. It had a good start creating some suspence, a shapeshifting alien race comes down and replaces people to infiltrate the base aperantly after some object that we are at this time not sure of its purpose. Don't get me wrong I do realy want to see the last issue to see where its going and how it ends, just dont feel like I've been on the edge of my seat through the whole thing, like I was with aftershock. I think the suspense couldve been played up more, and mabee some more dialog at the end of Issue 4 wouldve been good.

I was getting thrown arround a lot in the sasquatch fight and took me a while to get through it due to all the resets. Finaly got him to where I wasent getting thrown too far.

Glad to see the plot was a more sience fiction plot. I hope with future comic serries the plots will alternate between sci-fi, magic, and mabee the more down to earth detective/spy theme. Definately the comic serries has been a awsome project overall and cant wait to see more of them.
    edited December 2011
    To be blunt.

The sasquatch is impossible.
    His health resets everytime you hit a wall, he pounds you into the dirt in the blink of an eye. And he's not even a cosmic!

!@#$$$

Fix him. Get rid of the automatic health resets. It's just nuts and driving me bug!@#$$
    edited December 2011
    This was simple to duo, and quite a bit of fun. The Sasquatch fight was the most challenging part of it, but not overly difficult because of no resets, working as a duo.

I was playing a freeform mentalist with AoRP as the passive and my wife was playing the free Archetype that gets AoPM as the passive (I always forget the name). It's a combo that offers good self healing and good damage, which is why it was quite effective. We're both level 28 and using random gear we found.
    edited December 2011
    Lol. I was kinda frustrated last post. The fuzzy dealer of respawnitist kept on knocking me either into the wall or out of the room, then regenerated. It was on elite, I handled the other issues with much less trouble than this guy on elite, challenging yes, but it wasn't as impossible as the squatch.

Grr.

The Squatch must DIE! :mad:

In all seriousness, please fix the automatic health regen thing. It's horrible.
    edited December 2011
    kirinke wrote:
    Lol. I was kinda frustrated last post. The fuzzy dealer of respawnitist kept on knocking me either into the wall or out of the room, then regenerated. It was on elite, I handled the other issues with much less trouble than this guy on elite, challenging yes, but it wasn't as impossible as the squatch.

Grr.

"Horrible! Horrible! High-velocity Pie of Death!"

Yes, that's a major pain. It took me about a dozen tries (from the beginning) to get past the Squatch with my Grimoire, and I still haven't managed it with my Inferno (both on Normal).
    edited December 2011
    "Horrible! Horrible! High-velocity Pie of Death!"

Yes, that's a major pain. It took me about a dozen tries (from the beginning) to get past the Squatch with my Grimoire, and I still haven't managed it with my Inferno (both on Normal).

I think it's more of a flat-bread than a pie.....

Still major ouchies on my character... And she's a bloody electrical/wind. I finally dropped the mission in frustration. :rolleyes:

I'll figure out someway of doing it in. I even reconned my character into an electrical/tech girl. See how it goes.
    edited December 2011
    I do it with a Pa plus healing and munition drones, that plus an 'OMG heal' makes it a very manageable but dull fight as I whittle down his much-too-many hit points.
    I just have to make sure to block his bigger hits or be knocked out of range and hit hit points will reset, and I will curse.
    edited December 2011
    Gah, as a solo op, the squatch is durn near impossible.

Even with a duo going at him, we still respawned like three times. :D
    edited January 2012
    kirinke wrote:

Grr.

Also we can't tab him for long range pre-fight and he has an invincible invisibility glitch device on him, i.e.: when he disappears from the screen, we can still hit him but he takes no damages.

- Uber-mighty knockback with super-fast auto-reset fight,
    - no long range tab ability,
    - invincible invisibility glitch.

Anyway I'm not interested in evil/demonic/roin'esh/dark unlock costumes, so I'm done with this.
    edited March 2012
    I played Whiteout as a Silver Glacier archetype and it was HARD! I found the vanguards so dangerous that I had to have the Steelhead ally constantly summoned.

As for the sasquash, it took around 10 tries to finally beat it. I still have no idea how I eventually succeeded in the end, and I have no desire to try that again. When I read this thread and discovered that there were other bosses with even more HP, I just gave up and returned to Millenium City. No way was I going to put myself through more of that. To be fair though, I am not a very good player and my poor skills may well have had something to do with this situation.

Still, this incident taught me how useful it is to have a pet, so now that I am a gold member, I made sure to select pet powers from the gadeteering tree.

I haven't tried Whiteout again, but I've noticed that situations which I found impossible with my glacier are trivial with my tech-enchanched celestial, so I do plan to try it again. Last night I tested my build against that legendary Hanging Judge solo who utterly creamed my Glacier, and to my surprise, I was actually winning! (Obviously, I was SIGNIFICANTLY above the Judge's level!) I only found him with about 2.5 minutes to defeat him and the time ran out before the battle could conclude, but I'm confident I could have taken him.

Provided the Sasquash's instant heal bug doesn't get in the way, I think my character will be having Sasquash burgers for dinner!!
    edited March 2012
    Don't whip out your ketchup and mustard yet my overzelous friend. The squatch is tough. Seriously tough. And nigh impossible to kill by yourself.

Get a friend. Several friends with pets. That might help.

It couldn't hurt.
    edited March 2012
    kirinke wrote:
    Don't whip out your ketchup and mustard yet my overzelous friend. The squatch is tough. Seriously tough. And nigh impossible to kill by yourself.

It couldn't hurt.

Oh, yeah. I could re-play the first three chapters over and over on solo, but the fun in that seriously falls apart with Chapters 4 and 5. I still have to do those two chapters with one of my three chars, and I'd like to go through the serious with another who has yet to touch it, but I think I'll have to team up for it. (In the latter case, that's OK; it was my intent. With the former char, not so much.)
    edited March 2012
    kirinke wrote:

It couldn't hurt.

Don't worry. Whilst I just have to see how far I can get solo, once the going gets too tough, I'll get a friend to back me up (and hope they get in the door before it seals!!!).
    edited March 2012
    kirinke wrote:

It couldn't hurt.

Just to let you know, I unleashed my four pets on the sasquah (two of which heal me rather than attack) and it went down without any difficulty. Those sasquash burgers were delicious!!

I guess this shows that the right build can bring down the sasquash fairly easily.
    edited March 2012
    Just to let you know, I unleashed my four pets on the sasquah (two of which heal me rather than attack) and it went down without any difficulty. Those sasquash burgers were delicious!!

I guess this shows that the right build can bring down the sasquash fairly easily.

That is the core issue here. With the right build it can be soloed. It is in no way solo-able with ALL or even MOST builds. I played it today with my freeform electrical toon. At level 37 I had all the powers of the powers of the archtype and got wiped out every time at 5-10 seconds into that fight.

A pet power set is not a solo character. They are mini-parties played by one person. Each of these Adventure packs have a critter that is not and in my opinion never intended to be able to be soloed.

If you can solo them without using Henchmen or other pets, please let us know what set and innates you were using. I've played them with more then one set and can not complete a singe AP to the end because of this blatant design flaw.

Cryptic wants Free2Play users to buy things like this which makes it all the more reason that there should be a way that a solo the whole AP. Other wise they would with good reason think they are wasting their money on buying them. Have the final loot drop be better with a team then solor if you want us to play it that way Cryptic. But the way it is right now the APs are just a waste of money for solo players.
    edited June 2012
    Why does evryone have trouble with the sasquatch?
    The Commander, that guy is a pain!

I just can't beat him, once he splits they all start beating me all over the place. Any tricks?
  • cyberkill1255cyberkill1255 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I can't seam to get past the commander he is way too powerfull and its bad enough that he multiplies by 2, if you mannage to beat his 2 other he comes back and its even harder to take dammage on him. I need advice im a soldier class, and i used all my health packs, my pets. Even when concentration and lock n load are he just destroyes me. I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am in the same boat. Can't beat the last boss and can't leave the instance to try something else. Any pointers or idea's would be greatly appreciated.
  • manjimarufinmanjimarufin Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is a bug, if you get knocked into a wall the Sasquatch resets his health and you must start all over again happened to me as well..

I bug reported this. Its not like it prevented me from soloing the sasquatch, but it sure was annoying little developer oversight that needs to be corrected.
    “Fear can create monsters where none existed before.”—President Marsden, Supergirl
  • syagriasyagria Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    mcgib wrote: »
    I am in the same boat. Can't beat the last boss and can't leave the instance to try something else. Any pointers or idea's would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to see others are having problems with the Commander. I came to this thread looking for tips on how to beat him, but no luck. I'm on a 2 person team - I'm running a L13 hybrid blaster teamed with a L11 Invincible, and we had 0 problems with the Sasquatch. We toasted him without a single problem or death, very quickly. We were stunned to see so many reports of him being labeled an impossible mini-boss - has the Sasquatch been reset to a lower difficulty?

The Roin'esh Commander? The Invincible has died at least 10 times, my blaster is going on 20, maybe more. We cannot figure out the trick to beating the Commander. We can get him and his copies down to about a third health, and then nothing we do finishes the fight.

At the risk of sounding like "a whiner" (yes, I've read all the posts from the oh-so-leet power gamers disdaining anyone who can't munchkin a character to solo any mission), this is an EXTREMELY frustrating situation. My team has really been enjoying the Whiteout Arc, which has been characterized by moderately difficult but do-able fights, great story lines, an excellent creepy atmosphere, and to suddenly run into this sort of a brick wall of sheer impossibility when we're this close to completion is disheartening. I'm not asking for an easy fight, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that the general difficulty level of a mission remain more or less the same throughout the story arc, rather than jumping from "fun challenge" to "pointless suicide" in one fight.

Maybe there's something we're missing. We're out of strategies and tactics for the levels and gear available to us at this point, so any suggestion, tip, or trick is welcomed. Do we just need to be higher level? If so, then why is this mission even being offered to level 12 characters?
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've been asking myself the level question forever. A few levels will help. 15 is the benchmark for most scalable content, including alerts. As for what to do? Pathing is your friend. back off when he splits and pull one, try to keep yourself behind the stalactites so you only get targeted by the one you're trying to burn down. Block. A lot. It really helps if you save your offensive cooldowns until they split, because he's most dangerous when in multiples. Focus your fire on one dupe at a time, and murder it.

I've completely obliterated the commander on hard with a soldier, recently, at level 15. It's very doable if you just play smart and block whenever he charges something.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • syagriasyagria Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the advice, Chalupa. We've convinced another friend of ours to take his L19 Tank through the first three Whiteout adventures and to let us know when he has so we can team to try the 4th arc again - and by that time, we'll each have a couple more levels under our belt and will probably be in a better position to take the Commander on (Also helpful: my blaster has just gained a block power other than the basic default one). We weren't able to successfully pull single Commander replicates without aggroing at least 2 other replicates. We did have some luck in luring the fight out into the hallway and maintaining a death rotation, where one person would just make it back to the fight as the other person was about to die, so were able to bypass the TPK-induced reset for quite a while (this was the occasion where we managed to get the Commander down to 1/3, but couldn't finish him off). The narrow hallway was able to keep some of the replicates spread out and away from us, and some held back and milled around a little before coming back into the fight.
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Add me in game @eviltaco, and I'll give you guys a hand, if you want. :)
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • dwanlighterdwanlighter Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    syagria wrote: »
    I'm glad to see others are having problems with the Commander. I came to this thread looking for tips on how to beat him, but no luck. I'm on a 2 person team - I'm running a L13 hybrid blaster teamed with a L11 Invincible, and we had 0 problems with the Sasquatch. We toasted him without a single problem or death, very quickly. We were stunned to see so many reports of him being labeled an impossible mini-boss - has the Sasquatch been reset to a lower difficulty?

When I last fought the commander, the ONLY reason I won is that his health didn't reset every time I was defeated - and I sincerely hope they left it like that.

My strategy was simply this:
    1. Attack the Commander.
    2. Be slaughtered by Commander.
    3. Respawn
    4.Repeat until victorious.

Does the Commander's health reset now? If so, I won't be trying to solo Whiteout anytime soon.
  • neojin777neojin777 Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The commander can be killed solo, by using teleport from one side of the cave to the opposite. In the time the commander is charging towards you, just teleport away/regen hp and wait for your ad to get out of cd. It seems that by multiplying the commander's stats get weaker, the fastest i killed him on my blade at was less than 20 sec just by using 2 shields + md as defense, from being whole to being split then back to being whole, to death.

The general can be killed without having to suffer a death of your own, simply by leaving the tentacles alone and going straight for the kill. If i mean straight i really mean straight, because you have to stand beneath the boss in order for his main attacks (due to his own body mass) not being able to hit you at all. The only attack that is gonna hit you is be the general's aoe, which is still able to kill you so you have to hurry and keep the dps as high as possible.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

I've finished around 200 + whiteouts because i do not like nemcon, it can be soloed without even getting killed, once. Definately whiteout is one of the better content in co and like it says in the end of whiteout "To be continued...?" maybe one day we get to kill some more aliens from out of space.
  • thetwilightedthetwilighted Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Commander absolutely owned my Might/Inv freeform.

First time he split, it was into SIX different versions, and the original puddle he had melted to was still there and attacking.

After respawning, he only split into three, but the original puddle was still there and it seemed to be attacking with the three splits. Each split used it's defense debuff attack, and that was pretty much it. Oh, AND his health fully regenerated each time I respawned, as well.

I know the extra spawns and the puddle remaining are bugs, but is the Commander supposed to be able to kill bricks so easily? I don't recall my freeform martial artist having this much of a problem with him.
  • blkjackwilliamsblkjackwilliams Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The Commander absolutely owned my Might/Inv freeform.

First time he split, it was into SIX different versions, and the original puddle he had melted to was still there and attacking.

After respawning, he only split into three, but the original puddle was still there and it seemed to be attacking with the three splits. Each split used it's defense debuff attack, and that was pretty much it. Oh, AND his health fully regenerated each time I respawned, as well.

I know the extra spawns and the puddle remaining are bugs, but is the Commander supposed to be able to kill bricks so easily? I don't recall my freeform martial artist having this much of a problem with him.
    I'm wondering if the Commander is bugged right now, because I had the same issue with six clones. Right when I jumped in, he glowed green and spawned 3. Then (with me abusing some things I'm not to proud of) I got him to the point were he spawned three more clones who did the tunneling thing.

What makes me think it's bugged is, when I'd manage to kill one of the tunneling clones they'd pop from the ground, stand there a while (No effect or ability for me to target them) and then start tunneling again. When I killed three of them, the main Commander came back and started tunneling himself. I can't even count all the clones because their on top of each other in a puddle, so I don't know if the original three he called up are in there. However, there are at least 4 of them tunneling and attacking with no way that I've found to get rid of adds. (Killing them hasn't worked)

Now I'm stuck. I can't leave the instance, drop the mission, or beat the commander. :(

Not ok
  • gaiusterminusgaiusterminus Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just tried it with my infernal toxic DPS hero, and the commander spawned three copies as soon as he saw me. The four of them all take about the same damage from my attacks and do about the same damage to me. By running around like crazy (and switching my passive to regen) I managed to kill one. That caused another three to spawn, making it six in total plus one dead, all active, all seemingly the same strength. This is unplayable.
  • ne0nprimene0nprime Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I just tried it with my infernal toxic DPS hero, and the commander spawned three copies as soon as he saw me. The four of them all take about the same damage from my attacks and do about the same damage to me. By running around like crazy (and switching my passive to regen) I managed to kill one. That caused another three to spawn, making it six in total plus one dead, all active, all seemingly the same strength. This is unplayable.

That explains it. Solo, I survived the Sasquatch fight but have gotten ganked by Commander Half-dozen repeatedly. Hope they fix it soon.
  • tprxxtprxx Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Just did the commander with my silver grimoire hybrid level 19. The trick is to move him around the stalagmites at the right of the room (as you enter) using eldritch bolts. When he is held, drop a sigil, heal up, maybe cast an eldritch blast. Don't let up and don't give him time to reset. He does enrage at some point, but the rage timer goes out eventually. As long as you don't keep in melee range you're fine. It did take me 3 hours to figure him out...

Good luck and enjoy the goodies!
  • embracemyswordembracemysword Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Soloed the commander without a single death, in under one minute on a Blade AT.
    (triple spawn bug included, elite difficulty.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alekzander1989alekzander1989 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Soloed the commander with my Marksman on lvl 22 some days ago. Definitely dificult to silver players (and for DPS classes in general), including the triple spawn bug, but not imposible, still I died like 4 times before finding the trick.

A posible fix could be to reduce the damage the clones do, like only a 30% of the damage the commander does.
  • jarfarujarfaru Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I ran into a glitch at the very end of this. It wouldn't finish even though i got the end cut seen. I swear i'll never do another one of these special missions or adventure packs again. The loot for going through them is nothing or i'm just unlucky. I got alot more lockboxes though. I just get to frustrated because they are so long to do. And some of the boss fight are just over the top hard. I really like this one though up to the glitch. Then i started swearing at my computer which is never a good thing.
  • hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I ran one of these on a team last night. With the end-of-arc award, I walked away with 8100 Questionite.
    None of my gear drops were useful though.

Some of the interfaces weren't very responsive though (like the buttons after #1 and #2 to move us to the next section).
  • gr3v1n3000gr3v1n3000 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Anyone know how to exit this? Got trashed by the Commander a dozen times so I want out.
  • forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    log out, log in or....
    Heroically run away a lot and when you're out of range hit the head icon on the left of your minimap aka the socrates button - this will give the option to quit instance or....
    Teleport to ren centre device - heard it was broken and infinite use
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • mbauccombaucco Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I'm sure this mission is easier to solo once you're above the required level, but I tried it at 16 with a FF magic based character and found it sloppy and tedious, though it did start well. I ended up finishing with zero stars, and a strong urge to never bother with another adventure pack again, and that's really a shame. I liked the story, the theme and the homages to SG1 and The Thing. I think this could have been great fun but instead it was just frustrating and ultimately boring.

My biggest beef with this mission was that several times they drop a horde of minions right on top of you after a cut scene or map change with little to no time to respond, more or less guaranteeing a KO for all but brick type characters. The worst offender is right after you get on the space ship, I had twelve aliens jump me and KO me, then I re-spawned right in front of them, only to be "captured". Really? If you were going to kludge that in anyway, why KO my character and make it even harder to get through the mission, why not just have me get captured right after the cutscene?

The other really annoying thing is the boss at the end. I kill the general, he turns into giant jello monster, and again right after the cutscene I am insta-gibbed due to being plopped down right between the tentacles and the monster. I re-spawn, take out the tentacles at range, and then spend about fifteen minutes blasting away at a static target and occasionally blocking. There was no tactics or strategy, or even movement. Just fifteen minutes of hitting one or two buttons, watching a health bar slowly creep down. Horrible.

I hope that all the adventure packs aren't like this, and I hope that I don't have to wait until level 40 for them to become anything other than a badly balanced grind-fest. I also don't want to have to be forced into a group for a mission that isn't labeled as such.
  • xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    While you have proven a group is not required for adventure packs...they really are way more fun if you bring a friend or two along. You may find that unacceptable, but yeah...that's kind of how it works.
  • mbauccombaucco Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Tha's fine, as long as they don't imply they can be soloed. The mission lists a group of one as "recommended". If that isn't the case they should change it. Even so, there are several places in the mission that need work, I didn't even cover the half dozen or so bugs I ran into.
  • potatoechipjimpotatoechipjim Posts: 1 New User
    edited June 2021
    I liked Whiteout more then Resistance. Very spooky. Interiors and exteriors leave me wanting to see someone.... Anyone? Which leads to a more frightful run towards the mission.

Sasquatch was easy for me as a solo level 32-33 soldier on normal. Used up my twins on him, but Wall of Bullets can make most fights a push over. I liked the first hit aspect as it shows that your character might let him live, but Nope 'smash'. I did back out of the room one time by accident. The full health reset hurt. Maybe the door could seal and it's a fight until you win? 5 stars, 4 stars, 3 stars, 2 stars, 1 star, fight or flight?

I liked the cliff hanger. Who is the Patron? Is it the Cyborg guy? Lots of 1010101011000011001's.

The General was the second hardest part and the hardest boss. His knock towards and away takes Wall of Bullets offline. I used any heal I could and still had only 10 hp left after the DOT's stopped ticking.

Hardest part of #4 and the whole series is they are hidden. Travel too fast and you have to fight 3 or more groups at one time.
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Posts: 565 Arc User
    I liked the cliff hanger. Who is the Patron? Is it the Cyborg guy? Lots of 1010101011000011001's.
    The mission chain in City Center with Dr. Silverback is more or less a followup. Not a direct sequel, but the final fight is against the patron.