test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Whiteout #4: Close Encounters feedback thread.

Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
edited November 2013 in Missions and Content
Alright just finished the episode. While it was fantastic on looks (loved the look of the insides of steelhead, its grrrreat!!!) somehow it felt a bit weak, maybe the weakest of the episodes so far, though it wasn't bad.

First of all, I am not sure if the bosses were properly tuned for solo, but definitely silvers will get butchered with them, I died myself a couple of times on each boss. They just have waaaaaay too much HP for normal difficulty. Even with heals was a 4-5 min long fight for me for each boss. EDIT: okay... I just ran with my AT blade, and had less problems than with my freeform force character... I guess my force char just sucks hahahaha. But still the boss fights felt harder than usual, though not impossible.

The cliffhanger was the weakest of them all so far, it felt rushed in fact, maybe I got used to the voice acting at the end of each episode.

About the drops, they were okay, liked them. The Roin'esh Helmet, while it doesn't look as great as the shoulder, its okay enough for some concepts I guess. The temporal TP its awesomesauce =p

We could had used a custom song like in WO #2 though.

The pacing was fine, tad longer than previous episodes (maybe it was for me since I was soloing).

Oh also... I think its the first I see blood in this game a quite interesting sight, not bad though.

Those are my first impressions.
Post edited by Archived Post on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    I enjoyed it. A lot. The boss fight at the end was pretty neat, and I got a nice temp travel power reward.

Also Roin'esh helmet costume drop. But spelled Roi'Nesh in the costume creator. D:

The overall environment was neat. I liked the inside of the station. Reminds me of the later science lab levels from Half-life 1. I guess that's why those scientists outside there are always asking were Freeman is :P

You should have an option to go inside it all the time. Make it a social place hehe.
    edited December 2011
    So far my Grimoire has bee unable to get past the Sasquatch, even with a Demonic Pact, the Harajuku Twins, and other help. Twice I had him on the ropes, and he defeated my help, instantly regenerated to full health, and returned to his starting spot.

The problem, I think, is that a hero outside a certain radius in that room (which doesn't fill that room) doesn't register as being present.

The solution would be to either do away with that radius, or (as I suggested with the Roin'esh Commander in Chapter 2) set the Sasquatch so that he doesn't instantly regenerate the instant he thinks nobody's around.

I'd prefer both. The former means he doesn't automatically get the first hit (what are a Soldier's sniper rifle and missile launcher for, anyways?), and the latter means solo players at least get a chance at beating him even if he beats them initially.

The only other comment I can make is that the fight in front of Steelhead was (based on the sounds I was he3aring) half over by the time my loading screen was done.

As far as I got, the chapter was interesting enough, but I can only comment on it for as far as I got. I'll keep trying, but hopefully this whole adventure won't just end with getting pounded unconscious by a giant Sasquatch.
    edited December 2011
    So far my Grimoire has bee unable to get past the Sasquatch, even with a Demonic Pact, the Harajuku Twins, and other help. Twice I had him on the ropes, and he defeated my help, instantly regenerated to full health, and returned to his starting spot.

The problem, I think, is that a hero outside a certain radius in that room (which doesn't fill that room) doesn't register as being present.

The solution would be to either do away with that radius, or (as I suggested with the Roin'esh Commander in Chapter 2) set the Sasquatch so that he doesn't instantly regenerate the instant he thinks nobody's around.

I'd prefer both. The former means he doesn't automatically get the first hit (what are a Soldier's sniper rifle and missile launcher for, anyways?), and the latter means solo players at least get a chance at beating him even if he beats them initially.

The only other comment I can make is that the fight in front of Steelhead was (based on the sounds I was he3aring) half over by the time my loading screen was done.

As far as I got, the chapter was interesting enough, but I can only comment on it for as far as I got. I'll keep trying, but hopefully this whole adventure won't just end with getting pounded unconscious by a giant Sasquatch.

Yeah I just ran with a third different character. And I had lots of problems with the sasquatch, its not an easy encounter to solo... and for silvers its close to impossible. Its a bit overtuned, I think his HP pool might be the problem, its too large for solo.
    edited December 2011
    Well, I had no problem soloing this on lvl 40 Elite, and I'm not an overpowered flavor of the month build. I would go into checking your builds, but no one needs to change their build just to complete a mission. That's just absurd.

Maybe it IS a bit difficult for some people. Maybe they could remove some health on the bosses?
    edited December 2011
    Okay, finished it with my freeform brick on Very Hard, solo run.

-- Good action and pacing.
    -- I have no idea why Justiciar thinks it's necessary to stay for he, Blair, and the others to stay outside. "You go in, I'll wait out here" is pretty lame. I'd really prefer a stronger justification that doesn't make him look like he's cosmicly stupid (especially as splitting up here is committing one of the cardinal sins of this sort of scenario. Perhaps he can be safeguarding the alien detector as it's being brought to Steelhead. Just give me a decent reason.).
    -- Loved the Steelhead interiors. It'd be nice to go inside during the regular instances; you can probably put some other questgivers here, such as the three Starforce members not used in game (or new members that Cryptic has had joined the 'Force since COTN).
    -- The sasquatch was tough. Yes, Silvers are going to be frustrated with this guy.
    -- Love the drops.
    -- Cliffhanger wasn't as strong as the first three. It cut off very quickly, without much understanding of what was going on. I was very intrigued by the box, however.
    edited December 2011
    I just ran it with my squishy infernal build that usually burns through content but was owned by the sasquatch. I tried with all sorts of strategies and failed. I then went and got out Chaos Theory my Gadgeteer and well the Sasquatch was an easy fight and the commander gave little problem.

The inside of steelhead was cool. The story was very thin. All in all with some characters this mission is impossible and the story could be better not good sorry Cryptic.
    edited December 2011
    I managed to beat the Sasquatch with my Cursed on normal the first try but, if it wasn't for the fact I got lucky with him dropping health power ups and me having some stim packs, he would of gotten me. Afraid to try it with my Soldier, grant he is lv 13 so I think i'll wait for whiteout with him till he is like in his 30's, atleast then he will have gatling gun.
    edited December 2011

The radius is to prevent people from pulling the Sasquatch into the towers outside the door (The first thing I thought of x) ) and making the Sasquatch not regain its health whenever it loses aggro would make the radius very abusable.

I agree that some parts of this issue were pretty difficult, and I dunno how to fix that.
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised people are having problems with the Sasquatch. My level 40 ranged blaster had few problems on Very Hard, but then again I have MR and healing drones. I just made sure to get out of melee range during his charge moves, and they did zero damage.
    edited December 2011
    I'm surprised people are having problems with the Sasquatch. My level 40 ranged blaster had few problems on Very Hard, but then again I have MR and healing drones. I just made sure to get out of melee range during his charge moves, and they did zero damage.

Yeah, I mean for me there wasn't as much biggie, the problem I see its for silvers, definitely not on par with the solo content of the rest of the game.
    edited December 2011
    I really enjoyed this one! I just ran it solo with my electric-might toon on normal difficulty and thought it was more satisfying than the previous episodes (even though I've enjoyed those as well). There was lots to do here, the scenery was very nicely done and the two boss fights were interesting. It was maybe a little easy but at least the battles lasted for longer than a minute - a problem I had with the previous battle against Cyberlord that ended far too soon. The cliffhanger wasn't quite as good as the others but, all in all, I had a blast and am looking forward to running it in a team at some point.

EDIT: Okay, having now read the other replies here I can see that I'm the only one who considered it easy. I guess I must have a better build than I thought!
    edited December 2011
    You need to have a go on Elite... Might + Electric should be eminently capable of doing it but it will provide more of a challenge. Once you've flattened em on Elite then you are officially qualified to say "this game is way too easy". Me... well I kinda like that I can do stuff even on Elite!
    edited December 2011
    I found the sasquatch fight ridiculously hard and, honestly, kind of uncalled for. I don't know why he's there other than "Raaawr, Steelhead capture me so hero can have mini-boss battle"

What with his magical goes-through-blocks instantaneous knockback punch and his I've punched you into a corner, now go cry while I instantaneously heal tactic.

I've always thought the little "no one's around, I'll just return to full health" trick that the monsters have was infuriating. I guess I can see why it's there (except here, it makes no sense here), but don't say anything about how not having it would be abusable - the NPCs abuse the Power of Mulligan far more than I would.

Other than that, pretty meh I guess. I liked seeing the inside of Steelhead and I'd like to be able to go in there after all the blood's cleaned up and systems are back online. But that ending was just... bluh. I blinked and then I was at a loading screen taking me back to the city.
    edited December 2011
    Had little problem on 40 Elite with my Regen Infernal/Bestial plant girl, or with my Army of Pets character. But I can definitely see why the Roi'nesh Commander would be difficult to handle for an all offensive character with no healing fallback. 3 SVs at once popping up in the middle of a fight is going to roll more than a few builds.

You're going to want to bring a friend if you're a squishy, plain and simple.
    edited December 2011
    Just ran this, solo L33 shadow/pets on normal.

Loved the pacing, pretty much non-stop action, which was highly enjoyable.

The interiors were <Reverb>BEYOND AWESOME!!!!</Reverb> so major kudos to whichever enviro-monkey did those. :D i do want to know what the hell that huge rock they are analysing is in the lab though.

The sasquatch boss was pretty easy for me (though I did use my steelhead soldier for backup) , but then I have the shadow pets, drain life/Vamp Sympathy. I can see how he'd be a PiTA for builds with no self-heal though. - Could have done with a special drop in my opinion, something Sasquatchy.

The angular ice-caves were nice and atmospheric too, a fresh take on the ubiquitous canadian caves. again, kudos to the enviro artists.

The Roin'esh Commander's schtick was really cool. perfect for a slimy shapeshifting creep. Definately made for an new, and interesting battle.

The cliffhanger was a little too short, and I hope it is explained why there is a second roin'esh ship buried in the ice under steelhead...

The issue seemed to lack lore. I think it would have been nice to use the terminals in each of the labs/holding rooms to present a bit about whats in there:

Lab: an analysis of the rock floating in the forcefield. (bonus points for calling it an Anomalous Material, or mentioning 'unforseen consequences')
    Sasquatch: a little bit of info as to where this giant fuzzball was captured, when, and what it had been doing to get locked away.
    Artefact: something by the holodisplay with a preliminary analysis of the artefact, even if it doesn't give much away - you know: Origin: Unknown, Composition: Unknown, Purpose: Unknown, Power signature: Over 9000, Threat rating: Omega.

I got the scaled Blue, and the temp Travel power as rewards. OMG that TP is utter amazing awesomesauce. I'm running out of Kudos to hand out here... Unfortunately, now you've proved you have the tech to do that sort of thing, YOU. MUST. MAKE. A. C-STORE. VERSION. :eek: (without the tendrils, to keep the Roin'esh one unique)

no. really.

I predict many, many, 'Shut up and take my money's if you do.

so overall, A Winnar is this issue!!!!

look forward to the final one. I hope its aboard the Roinesh craft and I will be once again blown away by the scenery.

One last thing of note: The length. I have not replayed aftershock since it went Total, as it was quite long individually, and all together, I havent felt like running it in one go.

Whiteout, on the other hand, feels like it will slot together into a good, casual, pickupable length, so I see myself repeating it once it goes Total. so Good work there too.
    edited December 2011
    Have run it with my lv 39 Heavy weapons/Force character and my lv 40 Might character both solo

Phew those last fights were a workout, neither of my characters died on Sasquatch, but they're both built to be tanks. Not looking forward to this fight with my squishier characters.

Died three times with my HW/F character on the final boss, till I realized it was best to just spam my AOE attack when he splits in three. Knowing this with my might character the fight was much easier and managed a clean run.

I like any content that makes me work in a fight without being too unfair. Love the visuals in the base.

If I could improve anything the ending cut scene seems really abrupt, maybe something with your character chasing after it, or some message from Justiciar.

Be able to judge it better once I run it with my squishies, and with a team, but so far it gets a thumbs up from me.
    edited December 2011
    great chapter. i loved it all. as the previous episodes i still fill that was too short, but maybe its because was too fun.
    i didn have problem on it, but im gold lvl37 ranged defensive (defiance+PBR and a bunch of heals) and i didnt played on Elite.
    i loved the big bosses, loved the lab themes too.
    good job here criptic
    edited December 2011
    Was it just me or was there a problem with healing powers in the Sasquatch fight? I was running it on a freeform heavy weapon build and several times I popped Resurgence and used my heroic elixir and got nothing out of it- the power showed as used and the elixir showed as used, but no healing happened.

As far as difficulty, I'm not going to claim I'm uber, but I do know what I'm doing and that fight was irrationally hard with my healing turned off- I strongly suggest lowering his hps to make possible for lower hp- builds.

Maybe it's just me, but so far, I'm not feeling the story coming together like Aftershock did- it just feels disjointed and not very well thought out. Perhaps the final episode next week will bring it together, but I'm just not feeling it so far.
    edited December 2011
    Just went thru it with an electric toon and melted down the Sasquatch pretty quick. At some point in the Roinesh fight I got one shotted I think. Shrugs stuff happens but does anyone have some insight in to the Roin CO's powers?
    edited December 2011
    The radius is to prevent people from pulling the Sasquatch into the towers outside the door (The first thing I thought of x) ) and making the Sasquatch not regain its health whenever it loses aggro would make the radius very abusable.

Even if the radius was increased to include the entire room and a little bit of the corridor (say, up to a distance of 120 feet) it would be a massive improvement. Let it go aggro at 50 feet; just give us at least a chance to strike the first blow.

And I don't object so much to the Sasquatch regaining its health as to its doing so instantly. If he were to heal at a normal rate, or even at the rate of Regeneration, when out of aggro, that would be fine.
    edited December 2011
    SeraphyG wrote:
    I predict many, many, 'Shut up and take my money's if you do.

Our new rally cry!
    edited December 2011
    Just for clarification, is the Sasquatch *not* supposed to drop anything?
    edited December 2011
    4rksakes wrote:
    Just went thru it with an electric toon and melted down the Sasquatch pretty quick. At some point in the Roinesh fight I got one shotted I think. Shrugs stuff happens but does anyone have some insight in to the Roin CO's powers?

He's using a might build, definitely saw him use roomsweeper and haymaker, which might have been what one shotted you.
    edited December 2011
    Pretty sure he has giant growth going on, too.. so yeah, definite Might.

Honestly, he had a lot of HP to chew through but my level 33 archer/gadgets artillery piece primary handled him pretty well, but then I have the PA bubbleshield and a fairly good dodge going (about 45% Dodge / 49% Avoid) and have Inertial Dampening for about 24 damage up, so I may be tougher than usual there... oh, and it is possible to get him to come right to the doorway and be fired on by the turrets, as I tried that one my second run and it did succeed.

Overall, loot felt weaker than in #3, but the overall Issue was more substantial, and the content was quite good -- the Roiny commander splitting in three was quite novel, and the Sasquatch was entertaining and, aside being a bit of a damage sponge, well-paced.

..that cube, however, made me nervous for Hellraiser elements!

..also.. the temporary Transference power is officially the best "guaranteed payout" reward in the series yet in my opinion. Love it, it's awesome, please sell some variant of it in the C-Store, preferably individually and as said, in some way differentiated visually from the ROiny one. It really is awesome.
    edited December 2011
    Naturally, I do feel this issue is not going to be a cakewalk for Silvers that lack a heal... so one, stack those stim packs! And two, bring a henchie along if you need to. Personally, I am not sure who gave me more trouble, the sasquatch or the commander...though I did like how he split into three beings, was original.

Now, to be fair, i'm afraid to do this once I get my soldier up a few more levels because i'm so use to my cursed's dps that the soldier's seems inferior to it. Just, word of advice, if you are squishy, might be a good idea to bring a friend who can tank. That was what put me at "Holy crap!" For both boss fights was the hp. Now I know for all you lv 40 FF out there this fight was ether hard, easy, or in the middle, but, regardless, that to me was a good chunk of health to eat through. I do believe I might of died against the sasquatch once because well... he is fffing huge!

...Not Mega D huge from Resistance... but then again, what is?
    edited December 2011
    I've played again a second time using my Ranged PBR/Defiance with a partner using a free AT The Behemoth.
    again none of the bosses was hard to me, but i was using my heals (convction e BCR) and besides my atempiton to keep my partner alive, using Bionic Shielding (meh), he dies during the fight with the Sasquatch boss. And he didnt could come back to the fight (dont know why but the door wasnt opening...)

anyway the Sasquatch went down very fast with some Chainsaw Crits. But im thinking that for a silver its a hard fight. maybe not as the grimoire since its the most survival of them. but for the most of them would be.

and since im a PBR user, usualy im the lurer, with this new range modification i wasnt able to do that. and i must be honest: i like the idea, at leas for bosses (or some of them) makes the game more fun, in my opinion, but it must mess p with some alphas like sniper rifle. And using SS CON and DEX, +defiance, +IDF, +3 heals its ease for me to keep alive if atrack boss agro, not sure how that would be with all those Glass canons DEX/EGO builds over there...
    edited December 2011
    I have a hard time believing that a play tester at Cryptic didn't get hit with one of those knockbacks and land out of Sasquatch's encounter radius. If this isn't a bug, it's the most horribly flawed boss mechanic I've seen in years.
    edited December 2011
    KWRussell wrote:
    I have a hard time believing that a play tester at Cryptic didn't get hit with one of those knockbacks and land out of Sasquatch's encounter radius. If this isn't a bug, it's the most horribly flawed boss mechanic I've seen in years.

ive just got one more run. after a puch the sasquatch launch me on the wall and tthen he regains full of life. there is, hapen to me too. no much of a problem since it happens only once. but i imagines if he hit me again unblocked and launch me again and recover his life, or a if was a silver AT on the reload time of stimpaks...that could be very annoying...
    so they pretend to fix that or the sasquash is over a uber self healing plataform :D and this should be normal...
    edited December 2011
    another 10min issue. i guess at least the bosses attempt to do moves that threaten a few builds?

are we going to have another 4 month dry spell for playable content after WO finishes? This hardly seems like it was worth the wait.
    edited December 2011
    Well I just finished it and I felt disappointed.....

The layout of Steelhead was very nice - should be added to Canada on a permanent basis.

Haven't got a lot of drops from this series overall. This issue was no exception.

Have to admit though getting a little tired of the "lock the hero in for the boss battle" play mechanic - makes me want to stop trying these things.
    edited December 2011
    Completed it with my Inventor AT on elite and didn't die during the Sasquatch fight or the Commander fight, thanks to my fully ranked Support Drones and Attack Toys!!! Don't know how'll I go with my other characters...
    edited December 2011
    Loved Whiteout #4 but so far I have really enjoyed them all. Champions will have my subscription as long as you can create content. My comments regarding the episode #4.

I completed this on elite with a freeform archery build (all archery powers, lots of dodge/avoidance, all ranged) and IDF (my idea of kevlar) with no deaths.

+ Nice pace with lots of action

+ Saw the inside of Steelhead

+ Liked the fight with the Sasquatch

- He reset on me once and I could not understand why. I was in the room and I was putting arrows in his
    butt. As long as you are in the room the Sasquatch should not reset. And I still don't understand why
    our roots and snares do not have a "chance" of effecting a boss. I think there should always be a 25% to
    50% chance they are effected.

- There should have been a drop from the Sasquatch. It was major fight with no reward.

+ Liked the fight with the Roin'esh Commander. I thought he was easier than the Sasquatch.

- I was expecting a cutscene to give me a clue as to what was going on with the ship. The way the
    mission ended it really did not explain what was happening.

Side note, have you guys considered giving players the choice of rewards like you do in STO.
    edited December 2011
    Side note, have you guys considered giving players the choice of rewards like you do in STO.

pardom for asking, but how its that on STO? i never played it..
    edited December 2011
    I enjoyed this one - more of a straight up combat romp, not unlike a regular instanced mission, which makes it a nice change of pace sandwiched in with the other chapters in this series. A few feedback items:

- Sasquatch is tough and will frustrate some builds. Should probably tone him down at Normal difficulty level, and he should definitely providea a reward. Is this a bug?

- Great interiors, but as mentioend by another - where's the lore? A few clickies, etc... could have been used to drop some cool info on us about the items kept in the vault...and maybe a perk to get if you read them all. Missed an opportunity to have this add to the richness of the CO universe.

- Ending was too abrupt, especially compared to what we've gotten so far in this series.

- Speaking of cutscenes, I love the comic art additions, and honesntly - have you considered JUST using these instead of overlaying them on top of in-game video sequences? Honestly, the in-game stuff just doesn't alwasy look that great, what with the sometimes clumsy emote animations and such - I find it distracting. I look over at DCUO and see how they use only motion comic art for the post-mission cutscenes, and really think that would work here too. Food for thought....

Keep up the good work guys. Content like this is pretty much the reason that I still subscribe.
    edited December 2011
    I just tried again, this time with my L40 Inferno. I got the Sasquatch down to 25% before being knocked out, even with a force shield, Rampage Biologic, summoned Spirit Wolves, the Harajuku Twins, and a full 4-Pack of Healing devices. If not for the "instant heal" business I could have used a Triumphant Recovery and probably finished him off, but as it was it would have been a waste.

(I had hoped that yesterday's "emergency maintenance" was to fix this problem, but no such luck. Hopefully this Thursday, or I probably won't be able to finish this CS.)
    edited December 2011
    Speaking of cutscenes, I love the comic art additions, and honesntly - have you considered JUST using these instead of overlaying them on top of in-game video sequences? Honestly, the in-game stuff just doesn't alwasy look that great, what with the sometimes clumsy emote animations and such - I find it distracting. I look over at DCUO and see how they use only motion comic art for the post-mission cutscenes, and really think that would work here too. Food for thought.....

This is a great suggestion for other reasons too. Presumably, while the comic art was playing, the next in-game scene could be set up in the background. Without any in-game emotes or events taking place, it might be possible to make those cutscenes skippable!
    edited December 2011
    I have enjoyed all of the episodes so far, but of them, this one seemed the shortest. With my lvl 39 ice free form the giant Sasquatch was somewhat challenging set at elite and the boss fight at the end was the best so far. The funny part is i was actually defeated once just inside the entry by the second mob. Quirk really.

Once again, though, we find ourselves walking into a room filled with with trapped scientists, we can't shut the door to prevent infiltrating aliens from following us in, we talk to said scientists... And find concealed aliens in with the scientists! Story credibility fails again. In a well done story the room would have been clear of aliens and there would be enough alert staff securing the perimeter to prevent alien infiltration or the scientists would have been dead long before our hero gets there and would have been lead into a trap.

Writers, please, consult your editor before the story goes into development.
    edited December 2011
    I honestly thought #3 felt shorter than #4.. though brevity is not always a sin.
    edited December 2011
    Warning: Do not get knocked back into the wall of the Sasquatch boss room, or else the fight will reset.
    edited December 2011
    *Has been noticing Bluhman's ever changing sig* Stop that T_T, i'm having enough trouble keeping up with the last one XD.

On another note, i will say this, short while it was, it did feel longer than 3. on another note, apparently the bosses were "might"y happy to see us. :D
    edited December 2011
    I didn't like the prizes this round, next to no drops and I keep getting junk at the end, I don't even think it was blue junk. Come on man!
    edited December 2011
    Tried it again with level 32 Grimoire, couldn't beat the sasquatch, gave up and found someone to team up with instead.

EDIT: Also, I bought a helmet off the AH, and on that run I find two helmets, doi.
    edited December 2011
    I really like this one. I've run it solo a couple of times as well as with full groups of 5 on Elite. I like that it gets a bit crazy, especially if a teammember runs ahead and launches waves of back-spawn.

My Power Armor toon got caught in the Sasquatch room all by herself (hey! where's the rest of the team? why didn't you enter with me?), but had no trouble burning the thing down pretty quickly on Elite while the rest of the team cheered me on from outside the door. So the struggles some people are facing are definitely related to varying effectiveness of builds vs. the thing.

I'm hoping the new environment eventually becomes a permanent part of Canada, with additional missions added at some point. Heck, the interiors are all there now. At the very least, it could provide a tech-based social area for those that like that sort of thing.

I'm wondering what costume piece(s) we'll see with the final issue. Here's hoping both chest and feet to make a complete set. The "stringy" skin texture would be cool as well, but I'm not counting on it. I also wouldn't mind seeing the bigger "boss" version of the helm someday.

Great work on this one so far! LOVING the Comic Series in general!
    edited December 2011
    Two things:

1. I love this whole Sci-Fi horror theme Cryptic is going with! I only have a few bug complaints about Whiteout, everything else is just well-earned praise for the devs on this one

Finally we have some real adversaries that are thinking, creepy, and look cool. No more cheesy Bigfoots, landsharks, or laughably un-scary "irradiates". And the nemesis showing up? Love it! The more nemesis content the better, even if it's just a touch here or there.

The ambiance in general of Whiteout so far has been EXCELLENT! The environmental artist(s) you all have working there are ingenious with what they've done with the limited tools they have, huge props to them. This chapter is no exception either. Cutting-edge holograms, space-station like hallways, blood pools where appropriate to give the "whoa what happened here?" effect. And the ambient audio! Each of these episodes has not disappointed! (although custom music of epicness is always valued if it's good music that fits the action)

And the enemies actually wait to ambush you, a good use of scripting. Also, the turrets are using lines from Portal (nice touch). :p:p I guess you took some inspiration from Valve eh? That's great!

If this is the direction Champions is headed and we can expect content like this to continue to roll out consistently on a weekly basis, Champions I think will do just fine, in spite of the naysayers. :)

2. With regards to the people whining on the forums (and in this thread) that they can't solo a boss:

This is might sound rude (I don't intend it to be such), but it's overdue for somebody to just be blunt and tell the truth on this one: Please, stop whining because you're not getting the drops on Elite...

A boss is meant to be a challenge, if it's not a challenge it's just another regular foe in battle that you run over, just taking a bit longer to kill.

Elite is meant to be the ultimate challenge for a team of skilled players who can use effective teamwork, or a gifted soloist wanting to put their build to a test. It is not in Cryptic's or the game's best interest to make Elite easy.

Having been a Silver player for quiet awhile before going Lifetime, I can understand that Archetypes can have weaknesses that can make certain combat situations nearly impossible to solo. Especially on Elite. One of my favorite tactics as a Grimoire was a hit&run with sigils & teleportation to weaken and distract the enemy for me to then go on my main offensive. Elite enemies have perception so high they'll see you coming long before you get there to start casting. So yes, I get it. It can be rough at times, but that's why if you're an archetype you want to be even more friendly and social to people. Because teamwork makes such impossible feats, suddenly possible.

So to summarize:
    • Don't complain about Elite if you're not practiced enough with your skills to handle it. It's meant to be the hardest difficulty, for those who are not feeling challenged. And if you can survive it, you've earned your just Elite-grade reward.
    • Archetypes should be teaming up regularly, especially if it's on Elite. I do try to help out new players and archetype players getting stuck at certain parts their fixed builds have trouble overcoming when not in the middle of something or I see aid is needed and I ask if they want my help. I'd encourage people to try helping out newbies who are asking on Zone for help with a simple mission, sk down to their level and assist them. Teamwork is a wonderful thing and it should be encouraged.
    • Please, stop whining that you didn't get the drop and enemies need to be weakened simply because your or your team is incompetent. If your tank can't hold agro, if your DPS build likes to pull a Leeroy Jenkins, if you don't know that you should really be blocking if you see an enemy charging an attack at you, then you need to take a moment to learn from those mistakes and improve your game before whining on the forums about it being too hard. (aka. As is said in shooters: Less QQ, more pew-pew ; which essentially means shut up and fight better)
    • Remember: "The harder the struggle in battle, the sweeter the victory when you overcome adversity" :cool:
    edited December 2011

I just alternated break-away shot and evasive manuevers when i saw the 'tell' sign lite up and his over the top dmg was a non-issue. That and LR does well against them slow to act dmg moves in the first place.
    edited December 2011
    pardom for asking, but how its that on STO? i never played it..

same as they do it here with the run back to contact then pick your choice of 1-5 items. The layout is sto-ish but the item loot option is same, that's all. Only considerable diff is if there's a time mechanic that allows a certtain item cash out during the episode release...then is dropped for more generic items once the episode is overshadowed by the series being playable at once
    edited December 2011
    agentx5 wrote:
    2. With regards to the people whining on the forums (and in this thread) that they can't solo a boss:

This is might sound rude (I don't intend it to be such), but it's overdue for somebody to just be blunt and tell the truth on this one: Please, stop whining because you're not getting the drops on Elite...

A boss is meant to be a challenge, if it's not a challenge it's just another regular foe in battle that you run over, just taking a bit longer to kill.

Elite is meant to be the ultimate challenge for a team of skilled players who can use effective teamwork, or a gifted soloist wanting to put their build to a test. It is not in Cryptic's or the game's best interest to make Elite easy.

And if someone can't solo a boss on Normal difficulty, even with lots of boosts? Really, I don't care about drops (other than Costume pieces, and I have the helmet now); I just want to finish the story.

I don't mind sharing the experience; I just don't want it to be a requirement (or be told up front about it, as with most of the Lairs).
    edited December 2011
    Sasquatch doesn't even drop anything, but yeah on low levels you should be able to beat the guy, whatever your build, using items.
    edited December 2011
    Crowforge wrote:
    Sasquatch doesn't even drop anything, but yeah on low levels you should be able to beat the guy, whatever your build, using items.

My problem isn't his difficulty since he isn't that hard to beat if you have some sort of heal. My problem is that it's the worst case of artificial difficulty yet. I shouldn't have to restart the fight every time he knocks me into a corner. That's kind of a big bug regardless of whether you can survive through all the resets.
    edited December 2011
    My problem isn't his difficulty since he isn't that hard to beat if you have some sort of heal. My problem is that it's the worst case of artificial difficulty yet. I shouldn't have to restart the fight every time he knocks me into a corner. That's kind of a big bug regardless of whether you can survive through all the resets.

And all the big guy has to do is do Knockback against you, sending you into the wall. Then he instantly resets his Health, while you still have to wait for a cooldown on any items (such as Summon Critter Devices, which can take as long as nine minutes or more -- not to mention that you've just wasted a charge).