test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Subscription Sale!

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited July 2013 in Super News Network
For a limited time, if you subscribe for three months of Gold membership, you'll only pay for two months - a 33% discount, down to just $30! For just $10 a month, you can get freeform character slots, tons of costumes and more.

Gold players get freeform power selection for their characters, with so many more options than being limited to a single powerset. Gold players also get a monthly ZEN stipend, 500 ZEN every month -- enough to pick up a costume set every single month.

Plus, if you lock in this rate, it'll last for as long as you maintain your subscription! Keep paying just $30 for three months for as long as you keep the subscription up.

Read the blog
Check out the prices
Look at the benefits
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    GOOD IDEA.

...you get no more moneys this month, though.

...And I'm already a lifetimer.
  • serpinecohserpinecoh Posts: 353 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Very cool. I am already enjoying this pricing from last time it was offered but I like to see other people get access to it.

What I'm really hoping for though is that you put Lifetime on sale and give all the veteran rewards for it up front (as was done with STO). I'd probably upgrade three accounts if that happened (mine, my wife's, and my sister's).
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    For a limited time

So... when does the sale end?

And does this function as I understand the previous offer did; if you sign up at that price, you stay at that price until you cancel the recurring billing, even after the end of the promotion?

It doesn't affect me, obviously, but my girlfriend might subscribe, depending on the answers.
    When they have enough money for the 'Secret Project' Dev Lounge....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know a few people who lost their discount who will be happy to see this come back.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2013
    So... when does the sale end?

And does this function as I understand the previous offer did; if you sign up at that price, you stay at that price until you cancel the recurring billing, even after the end of the promotion?

It doesn't affect me, obviously, but my girlfriend might subscribe, depending on the answers.

We haven't announced the end date yet. The discount will stick like the previous one, yep.
  • roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I already subscribe--do I cancel my subscription, and then re-subscribe?

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
    edited July 2013
    I already subscribe--do I cancel my subscription, and then re-subscribe?

You should be able to change your plan at https://secure.crypticstudios.com/champions/subscriptions/list.

I haven't gone through the subscription process myself, so I won't be much help if you need troubleshooting, but I can ask around if needed.
    edited July 2013
    What happens after the three months? My subscription just ends? I don't want one of the subscription nightmares that I have seen in these forums.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Recurring subscription.

Until something breaks ofcourse...
  • blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Woohoo!! The deal is back! Can't wait to get Lady T back <3

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    What happens after the three months? My subscription just ends? I don't want one of the subscription nightmares that I have seen in these forums.

Your credit card gets billed again unless you change your subscription status.
    Status won't change until the end of the billed period.
    At the end of your billed period your account will be Silver and your free form characters will need conversion to ATs or you can leave them idle and use the free character slots you gained during your subscript to create your silver roster.
  • danteandersendanteandersen Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The discount will stick like the previous one

... until Cryptic/PWE screws up the accounts again, stop pulling the money and putting hundreds if not thousands of Gold players to Silver status once again.

Fix'd that for you.

I know too many people who got burned by the screwup last time that they are skeptical to try again... the whole "once bitten, twice shy" thing. Customers were penalized for a company screwup... and if they really wanted to press the issue, they COULD claim breach of contract.

Good luck with it... but I get the feeling the same thing will happen 6-9 months down the line. Cryptic/PWE isn't well known for learning from past mistakes.

-END OF LINE
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I am skeptical that the transition from one billing type to another (and maybe back) will go without a hitch. Those players got no compensation, either.

I had a minor problem with my stipend for 2 months, and though it was cleared up, I only got an apology.

• rowan79rowan79 Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I've been struggling with the incompetent support billing for a month now. Apparently there is some sort of error code and they reply to me they don't know what it means. I get on the phone with Paypal ( PWE would literally have suicide deaths in their call center if they were to use a phone system) and they tell me all is clear from their side.

I hope this problem resolves itself before this deadline, and not in the "mark ticket as resolved after every half assed answer" type of way.

"Do you know what power is? Power is control of men who are lesser than you."
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm sure there are many questions regarding this. I already bought lifetime so it doesnt affect me, but others might want to know:

Is this a Locked in Rate? Meaning once they subscribe, will they always pay 10$ per month as long as they are subscribed? Or is this just a one time thing?
  • m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    is this really what community need????? SAD(
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    m1ndfr1k wrote: »
    is this really what community need????? SAD(

Yes. Or what would it need? Cake? Pie?
    Since this was offered before and then subs broke and people lost their 'Get One Month Free' deal.

Would you rather pay monthly or take a 3 month deal for a price of 2? Recurring. Until you stop paying.

So no need to slam your SAD face to the screen.
    edited July 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I'm sure there are many questions regarding this. I already bought lifetime so it doesnt affect me, but others might want to know:

Is this a Locked in Rate? Meaning once they subscribe, will they always pay 10$ per month as long as they are subscribed? Or is this just a one time thing?

Correct, this is a locked-in rate, and will last as long as the subscription is uninterrupted.
  • chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    no stipend yet this month on one account,
    still waiting to see if the other turns up.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

edited July 2013
    Dig deeper Cryptic. You have angry flames to douse before you make a hot offer.

Get into a meeting and talk about seriously appeasing in a meaningful way
    the people you burned and then throw a heavy handed sale at the total masses.

$30 is still more than the other MMOs "pay once play some until you don't" deals.
    They are new and fresher and at the top of the food chain, they are featured on MMO websites.
    Champions Online is like a 90s metal band's groupie tour bus entourage.
    You need to undercut, more.

I have long been wanting a $40 yearly sub to compete with 'play forever' games selling
    for half that price, $20 six month sub, $10 three months sub. With a real advertising push.
    $100 lifetime would be impossible to resist.
    Family 3 pak for $200.

Get your accounting department in order and then and go all out.

I suggest you all wear super hero costumes to your meetings for now on, solve
    marketing and game play problems like a real super hero team.
  • voyagersixvoyagersix Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Gold players also get a monthly ZEN stipend, 500 ZEN every month -- enough to pick up a costume set every single month.

Let's get this straight: Cryptic is aware that costume packs are extremely desired, enough to use it as a Gold subscription sales tactic.

Let me fix that for you:
    Gold players also get a monthly ZEN stipend, 500 ZEN every month -- enough to waste on 5 Cosmic Keys because you ran out of Costume Packs to buy a year and a half ago.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    voyagersix wrote: »
    Let's get this straight: Cryptic is aware that costume packs are extremely desired, enough to use it as a Gold subscription sales tactic.

Let me fix that for you:

I get that most of the long time players have already purchased the available costume packs, believe me I'm jonesing for new sets to appear myself... But TT is also encouraging new players to join in on a good deal that gets them involved in the game like we have been.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • crosnightcrosnight Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    kinda a little skeptical with the timing of the sale

considering that subscription issue thats been going around (and that i still have, even though my account is inactive the day sub number is still increasing, so i think i got billed and not getting my gold perks) so im gonna pass for now, or atleast until i know its fixed
  • tidalwave082tidalwave082 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    How amusing. STO is having their SECOND Lifetimer sale this year (wasn't that long ago) and after the issues WE'VE had here with subscriptions, you'd think you'd at least give us our first Lifetimer sale in what, over a year maybe? Ya'll do an awesome job of reminding us how little we're worth to you :(

For a limited time, if you subscribe for three months of Gold membership, you'll only pay for two months - a 33% discount, down to just $30! For just $10 a month, you can get freeform character slots, tons of costumes and more.

Gold players get freeform power selection for their characters, with so many more options than being limited to a single powerset. Gold players also get a monthly ZEN stipend, 500 ZEN every month -- enough to pick up a costume set every single month.

Read the blog
    Check out the prices
    Look at the benefits
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Whatever gets more players, I'm down with it.
  • xxravenousxxxxravenousxx Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    what happen after the memberships expire, do all my costumes and slots are disapear ? i mean, what happend next?? all my time expended on lving up and online gaming will be lost once the membership expire?? or i keep it but i will not have acces to gold member options anymore ?
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    what happen after the memberships expire, do all my costumes and slots are disapear ? i mean, what happend next?? all my time expended on lving up and online gaming will be lost once the membership expire?? or i keep it but i will not have acces to gold member options anymore ?

The gold level costume sets you get will disappear as well as any free forms you make if you choose to end your subscription, but anything that you purchase with Zen will remain on your account.
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    crosnight wrote: »
    kinda a little skeptical with the timing of the sale

considering that subscription issue thats been going around (and that i still have, even though my account is inactive the day sub number is still increasing, so i think i got billed and not getting my gold perks) so im gonna pass for now, or atleast until i know its fixed

Well, STO got it too, so it's not just CO.

That said, both games did have their billing issues...

And to answer a few questions:

1) Once you choose this discounted rate, the discounted rate will stay around forever, UNTIL you have to do something like change your credit card information (like it expires or something). For whatever reason whenever you change cards, you have to select a billing plan, and it if the 33% off plan isn't available, you're out of luck.

2) You can freely switch billing plans at any time. You will NOT get charged until your old subscription choice ends. So if you have 2 days, 2 weeks, or 2 months left on your sub, it doesn't matter. If you're going to keep playing, you can switch over to it now without worry.

3) Cryptic RARELY offers these discounts (basically once a year). And at $10 a month for 3 months (keeping in mind that you get $5 worth of Zen 'free' every month) means that these discounts are a steal.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • mayathubanmayathuban Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sorry, but I was in this program when it was up before and gold with 12 characters in it. It went down again to silver AFTER you had my information and charged me for a few months. Now, I play a silver account that will never see gold because of that. Complaining did no good since in your eyes the customer was wrong. I will be happy with this account as it is. :frown: :mad:
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Frankly, STO needs those sales on Lifetime, because STO's Gold just isn't that great. There's not that much there that needs Zen, unless you're really into lockboxes or PvP; you do get some extra storage, but you can also go Gold for one month and get to keep the extra storage when you revert. You can spend Zen on ships, but again, unless you're really into PvP, you're going to hit a cap on the number of ships you're allowed to have at one time. It's really nothing like Gold in CO, and it's not worth anywhere near as much.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • missmaeheymmissmaeheym Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Read the blog
    Check out the prices
    Look at the benefits

Oh, yay?!? I am still waiting for the "compensation" for the last boffo subscription screwup....

Oh was that dust in the wind?
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    So... is this the compensation we were promised?

"We're sorry for you having to go through this mess so let us repay your patience by giving you what you already had and keep the difference"

If i went to a restaurant, and take an hour to give me my food, and it's the wrong order but said they will compensate me for my trouble, i expect something... maybe the meal free, or discount etc, or something extra, or even a guarantee of the next meal being free. but if they say they'll compensate for the trouble, and then only give what you order, and still full price at the end... that's not compensation... that's doing what should have been done the first time.
  • jonesing4jonesing4 Posts: 800 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    So... is this the compensation we were promised?

"We're sorry for you having to go through this mess so let us repay your patience by giving you what you already had and keep the difference"

If i went to a restaurant, and take an hour to give me my food, and it's the wrong order but said they will compensate me for my trouble, i expect something... maybe the meal free, or discount etc, or something extra, or even a guarantee of the next meal being free. but if they say they'll compensate for the trouble, and then only give what you order, and still full price at the end... that's not compensation... that's doing what should have been done the first time.

Unless you continue to visit the restaurant's forum to unleash an endless stream of criticism and whining, some of it warranted, some of it nonsensical, then this analogy may not be the right one. I would probably just go to a different restaurant, instead of a place that makes me so clearly miserable.
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    On your first post Trail turtle, I think you should state that this is a Locked In Rate. Some people might get confused and think you only pay 10$ per month for the amount stated, instead of the amount going for uninterrupted.
  • skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonesing4 wrote: »
    Unless you continue to visit the restaurant's forum to unleash an endless stream of criticism and whining, some of it warranted, some of it nonsensical, then this analogy may not be the right one. I would probably just go to a different restaurant, instead of a place that makes me so clearly miserable.

Ah yes.. the typical "well if you don't like the service, leave, on second thought, you're barred from life here" - continuing with the restaurant analogy, where when someone makes a complaint about something, the personnel would instead demand they leave and never return.

I play because i actually like this game... just a shame it's a ghost town of a game. I was merely pointing out that if this is the proposed compensation they promised then the definition of "compensation" is not what they think it means, of giving the people affected what they already should of had. Maybe expecting things to run smoothly and correctly is non-sensical to you, maybe expect things to be fixed is whining to you, but to me, i think it's perfectly valid to expect that if an issue occurs, it's fixed, and if they promise compensation to those affected, they actually do it.

They'd have just been fine with saying they're fixing it, and not even bother promising compensation if they never were going to. otherwise it just goes to the list of things they can't keep track of clearly.
  • flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    skcark wrote: »
    I was merely pointing out the definition of "compensation" is not what they think it means, of giving the people affected what they already should of had.

Could you point out where they said that this offer is meant to be the compensation they mentioned would be coming? Because I seem to have missed that part of the post.

As far as I can tell, this is their way of letting people get back on the lost billing plan, because just editing all the accounts to put back this plan could be construed as a fraudulent charge. It's legally much safer for them to just say "Hey, the plan's back, if you still want it, sign back up!"

There has been no mention of the compensation for the account screw-up since TT said that there would be one, but that they hadn't decided what yet. So maybe you should stop putting words in their mouths, and then getting mad over what you claim they said.
    They should start compensating skcarkby having Q and Story Q and Nemesis Alerts during Australian hours.
    You know what I mean Cryptic, those 150 players in MC Zone hours with all those high ping laggy aus people.
    Those people have been neglected for a long time.
    stay-at-home-mom-thunderdome-kids.jpg

There's a new zone you can make for vehicles, the Australian outback.
    With a kid who digs holes all over that lead any places players need to go like to the moon.
    Matter of fact make that a new travel power, Tunnel Teleport.

Of course this all culminates in the Sydney Opera House Alert sidekicked solo to Skcark vs your Nemesis.
    Since our powerhouse is kind of that theme.

How does that play out?
    Room to room in those arena domes? like a wall/movie facade bashing brawl?
    Aw, yeah. With the whole social zone outside queued up and watching and running in a relay fashion, two men enter one man leaves, per dome, non stop. 24 /7

I believe those late night pacific people deserve a tribute.
  • lafury001200lafury001200 Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is absurd. You guys are piling on a player, one of many, that ran into an issue solely caused by a PWE screwup.

Perfect World has had more than adequate time since this issue came up to compensate affected players, or, at the very least, too announce what if any compensation will be forthcoming for the issue that started this.

At least under Atari, mistakes were sometimes acknowledged publicly and fair compensation was offered.

Don't like the complaints? If they bother you so much, and you feel you must defend PW at every step, the solution is easy. Pay the affected players $ yourselves. Send them some money via paypal. If you are too lazy to do that, simply buy them some vehicles/devices from the z-store. Go ahead and put your money where your mouth is, and do what a large business apparently can't. They obviously need your help.

After all, it's only money.
    edited July 2013
    We play the game with the lost tribe and allow them to feel like a hero sidekicked to 30 next
    to us even if their account has been corrupted and they are forced to run a lowly silver.
    We don't need another hero but you're welcome just the same.
  • gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'm so tired of coming to the forum and hearing complaints, too.

But Blaming the victims is some really f**ked up.

"The peasants have no bread"

tumblr_m6520rTFhX1qak58ro1_500.gif
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No, just correcting a blatant inaccuracy - an assumption that this sale is somehow supposed to be the "compensation" once mentioned, even though only the person who wants to critique the idea has said that it is.

No one from Cryptic has said, "Okay, in compensation, we'll run that sale again." Nobody from PWE, not even TT, has said it. Only skcark made that claim, and even then only because it gave him a soapbox from which to launch snide comments at Cryptic, PWE, and all the people subbing to the game.

Now, Jay, I understand that you hate the game, have abandoned any hope of its improvement, and yet still find yourself irresistibly drawn here, picking at the scab on your soul that was once enjoyment of CO. That being said, though, don't you think there are enough valid things to complain about here, without having to make any up?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    edited July 2013
    This sale is timed to let players reach the Anniversary with an active subscription.

They usually roll double XP around then and when players have a half dozen level 30s that they can then bang out to half a dozen free character slots in three casual days they might just go for it, and now that they have empty free form slots well maybe they'll subscribe another three months just because its easier than not subscribing.

That's how it seems to roll.
    edited July 2013
    GAH!!!!

I went to upgrade, and sure enough, my subscription was just CANCELED instead.

This is exactly what I feared would happen.

What the heck?!

Does my existing account have to be canceled before the new one?

If I switch over before my month is up, do I end up paying twice for the overlap period?

Why the heck did I even try this?

edited July 2013
    GAH!!!!

I went to upgrade, and sure enough, my subscription was just CANCELED instead.

This is exactly what I feared would happen.

What the heck?!

Does my existing account have to be canceled before the new one?

If I switch over before my month is up, do I end up paying twice for the overlap period?

Why the heck did I even try this?

Can you give any additional details? It'll help us a lot to debug and get you helped if we can reproduce it. Sorry this happened, we'll get it resolved as fast as we can.....
    edited July 2013
    Actually, it says my account is "Inactive".

I can still log on and play as Gold. I guess that means I have the tail end of my most recent payment to still play.

My guess: the card I use for the account might be below $30, so a charge won't go through at the moment. On the other hand, I can't simply cancel the change and go back to what I had.

• thecobra22thecobra22 Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    i was under the impression that stipends were currently broken and not being awarded when they should be. id recently just had my gold subscription run out after subbing for a month and received nothing :confused:
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    thecobra22 wrote: »
    i was under the impression that stipends were currently broken and not being awarded when they should be. id recently just had my gold subscription run out after subbing for a month and received nothing :confused:

I have had an issue with them being late since April. Support has been VERY quick and responsive to me on it though.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Nice to see this sale! It doesn't affect me, but it's nice.
    xcaligax wrote: »

Correct, this is a locked-in rate, and will last as long as the subscription is uninterrupted.

Really? That's awesome! As a LTS I never really paid much attention to it last time, but that's awesome now that I understand how it works.

PS: You might want to advertise it more clearly as such, yes? Make Caliga's question part of some FAQ?

... until Cryptic/PWE screws up the accounts again, stop pulling the money and putting hundreds if not thousands of Gold players to Silver status once again.

Fix'd that for you.

I know too many people who got burned by the screwup last time that they are skeptical to try again... the whole "once bitten, twice shy" thing. Customers were penalized for a company screwup... and if they really wanted to press the issue, they COULD claim breach of contract.

Good luck with it... but I get the feeling the same thing will happen 6-9 months down the line. Cryptic/PWE isn't well known for learning from past mistakes.

-END OF LINE

Harsh but not undeserved criticism. Issues with billing are of critical important to any business!

Three words regarding billing need to be ingrained the staff: accuracy, reliability, and security.

Pefect World and Cryptic have failed rather spectacularly on both the reliability and security aspects.

For those that don't remember the security breach, it was almost two years ago and Cryptic announced that many users might have had their personal information and password information stolen, but they couldn't verify if anything was stolen or not. Since then I have never used Cryptic's or PWE's system to pay, instead using PayPal as an intermediary since they'll insure my purchases and have a better security system. Actually used to use Visa Gift Cards until billing refused to accept them after 2013.
    edited July 2013
    Blah blah blah.

My subscription status got messed up when I "changed over".

Enough.