oyo32oyo32 Posts: 141 Arc User
edited August 2013 in Champions Online Discussion
Literally.

Emotes are now "banned". Trying to use any emote will result in a message:
"Banned command emote"

Or if you are using chat commands:
"Banned command em"
"Banned command e"

I guess you could call this a fatal error!

EDIT: Ah, saw trailturtle's post in a topic. Still, I find this hilarious. Emotes causing zone crashes? Has CO's code become this unstable?
To resolve these disconnects, we've temporarily disabled all emotes -- using emotes was the cause of the zone crashes.

I know that the emotes are a fun part of Champions, so we're working to get them fixed and reactivated as soon as possible. I don't have a timeline on that, but it might be a few days or a week. It's unfortunate, but having the game be stable has to be our first priority.

Thanks everyone for your help identifying possible causes, I really appreciate it.

-TrailTurtle

A week (or even more) without emotes. How will you survive?
AOyJ2f6.png
Post edited by oyo32 on

Comments

• Options
    kittyanonkittyanon Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All of my wat.
    =^..^= ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ =^..^=
    Formerly known as kittyclawz.

In-game handle: @Miss.Kittyclawz
  • Options
    scorpagorscorpagor Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well folks, wave goodbye to emotes.

Anything that gets a "bug fix" around here ends up worse than it started with.

I'll miss you, harajuku_girl_wave :'(
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    All those years of me RPing to use * or {} for emotes instead of /e finally paid off.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2013
    The only emotes really missed by me are sit, kneel and dances. All other things were written in "*...*", or "[...]".
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Whenever I beat a boss I use the flex emote and take a screenie of me flexing with them on the floor. :(

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    They should have banned dying instead of the emotes....
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Id frowny face over this. But im afraid so much open display of emotion might be enough to cause the servers to esplode!

So, I shall confine my indignation to this by thinking inappropriate thoughts, directed randomly.
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people were permabanned for the use of that stuff. Very few infos though, didn't log in today.

• Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    CO programmer at work:
    shion_laughing_3622.jpg

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Id frowny face over this. But im afraid so much open display of emotion might be enough to cause the servers to esplode!

So, I shall confine my indignation to this by thinking inappropriate thoughts, directed randomly.
    You can say, "((Sockmunkey has frowny face))" - just don't do it as an emote, or we all crash. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    kingironwolf69kingironwolf69 Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Sad state of affairs when the person actually doing the zone crashing gets other people banned who weren't by falsely accusing them.

And this problem has been around since beta to boot - how about fixing everything properly instead of these band aid tactics that hurt your bottom line?
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I'd cry if I could find the tears.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No dance !!??
    20121223200410.gif
  • Options
    jennspacejennspace Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I know how to fix this, build back the code and make it Foundry COMPATIBLE!! :biggrin: One can dream... :tongue:
  • Options
    obilanderobilander Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    CO programmer at work:
    shion_laughing_3622.jpg

This. Honestly I think the team has really crappy days at work: "You gotta be kidding me...emotes? I've been working for months, we're getting closer, shepherding a new era in CO...emotes?!!! I'm gonna go wreck a car, at least I'll know why its broken."

My heart goes out to you.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    This is what happens when you don't document your code.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Wow. This is incredibly disappointing. How many more things will have to be taken out of the game, for the game?
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Words fail me when I try to describe how I feel about this.

Absolutely no other MMO I have played had a simple thing like emotes create problems.
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't know why whenever I stop subbing for a short while these sorts of things happen. When I went on a break last year the chat died. It's like the server can't handle me being away. It's having withdraws. This is obviously the cause. I apologize for all the problems I've caused! ;~;

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Some people just want to watch the world crash and burn..

...This is why we can't have nice things....

And hell, even good gestures and even hard >paid< work get frowned upon and shunned in masses..
  • Options
    dantheiceman1dantheiceman1 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    new dev team huh? this game is just getting worse and worse,

and to think i had HOPE that things were going to get better

whats next the whole disablement of chat?
    maybe of mission NPCs
    best yet instances! lets disable instances!

and just a hint of advice for the dev team all 2 of you, you guys better stop sitting on your hands, and start doing your JOBS because this is getting really old REALLY fast

if you expect to even keep people to even PLAY this game, it should be an a playable state, not a half finished buggy mess like it currently is
    http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=124755
    The Nemesis system needs fixing and here's ideas:
    A business that makes nothing but money is a poor business. Henry Ford
  • Options
    ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    new dev team huh? this game is just getting worse and worse,

and to think i had HOPE that things were going to get better

maybe of mission NPCs

Wow, then Vibora Bay gets rather missionless :biggrin:

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• Options
    clawsandeffectclawsandeffect Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    "CO has no emotion"

I disagree. I'm seeing plenty of rage.

Rage is an emotion. And there's a lot of it.

So, CO has a LOT of emotion.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    maybe of mission NPCs

This has all happened before and this will all happen again.

So say we all.
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    scorpagor wrote: »
    Well folks, wave goodbye to emotes.

Anything that gets a "bug fix" around here ends up worse than it started with.

I'll miss you, harajuku_girl_wave :'(

It's only temporary!

Yeah. Uh huh.

Like taxes...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    It's only temporary!

Yeah. Uh huh.

Like taxes...

I really do hope that emotes will be returned soon, and not "soon" (TM).
    Otherwise game may lose even more players. RPers were sizeable part of the playerbase because it's easy to suffer occasional bugs or imbalances when you are using game also for RP. Now, if even RP is harmed, there is not too much reasons to even log in.

So game first lost PvPers, then large part of challengers, then it may lose RPers. And who's next? Costume makers? And who will finally stay?
  • Options
    lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really do hope that emotes will be returned soon, and not "soon" (TM).
    Otherwise game may lose even more players. RPers were sizeable part of the playerbase because it's easy to suffer occasional bugs or imbalances when you are using game also for RP. Now, if even RP is harmed, there is not too much reasons to even log in.

So game first lost PvPers, then large part of challengers, then it may lose RPers. And who's next? Costume makers? And who will finally stay?

That sounds silly. To quit a game because you can't do /e laugh, but you could still do some stuff like (Lucas Jackson laughs his butt off.) is just plain silly talk. I mean, were there any people that didn't play the game because there's no official way to talk out of character? Nah, people are fine with ((OOC dude go take a shower, I can smell you over the internet)).

Anyone who quits over not being able to emote is a silly person.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    That sounds silly. To quit a game because you can't do /e laugh, but you could still do some stuff like (Lucas Jackson laughs his butt off.) is just plain silly talk. I mean, were there any people that didn't play the game because there's no official way to talk out of character? Nah, people are fine with ((OOC dude go take a shower, I can smell you over the internet)).

A lost customer is a lost customer. Beggars can't be choosers... too bad the beggar in this case doesn't care that they are such.

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Yeah, it's annoying- I agree with you, though. I mean... just do the 'Noob-Motes' like so.

*Licks lucasjackson's face just like that.*

But even I put my character's speech in quotations, so it's not much of a detriment to just not use /me.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Anyone who quits the game because of nonexistent PvP is a silly person.

As is anyone who quits the game because of one bugged powerset.

Or not enough challenge.

Because in the end it's only a world of pixels.

Different things are important for different people.

Now imagine that large part of the playerbase logins only for RP, considering CO overall playability, especially for long time players.

And they have to do it without ;SitChair. Or any other animation needed, depends which one.

After all, graphics are important, this isn't text based game. Small things will add, with enough of them player has simply no need to login.

Do CO can afford even less players?

In the end emotes are simply one more game system not available.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

A lost customer is a lost customer. Beggars can't be choosers... too bad the beggar in this case doesn't care that they are such.

Churn, baby, churn. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Or not enough challenge.

Because in the end it's only a world of pixes.

Now imagine that large part of the playerbase logins only for RP, considering CO overall playability, especially for long time players.

And they have to do it without ;SitChair.

After all, graphics are important, this isn't text based game. Small things will add, with enough of them player has simply no need to login.

I don't think reasons for quitting are all on the same level, here. Like, I can't /e cry is stupid compared to "I paid for 3 months of game time and it never showed up, I bought 50 bucks worth of zen and it disappeared, customer service won't do anything about it, and the arcades in the lounge are out!!!"

And it's only for a week or so. I mean, sure, that date can get moved around, but as of this moment, the emotes are gone for a week. Anyone who would quit over that is simply throwing a tantrum. Honestly, "I can't see my character sit. FOR A WHOLE WEEK!"

Can CO afford less players? Considering that it doesn't seem that they're very interested in keeping old players, and are interested in selling keys to the new players who'll just quit in a month anyway, and then do the same with the next guy? Yes, I think CO can live without a couple people who can't sit down for a week.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Or not enough challenge.

And they have to do it without ;SitChair. Or any other animation needed, depends which one.

People who quit playing a game because it no longer provides what they find fun are silly?

I thought the point of games was that they're fun?

So if a game stops being fun for someone, what's their motivation for sticking around?

How long do you stick around during the process of "Death by a thousand cuts" before you decide you've had enough?

• Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The only thing I miss is being able to sit, but when our only options is EMOsit and Jackass-sit, well, I dont miss them that much.

If we had wall lean from CoH, then I would be upset.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited July 2013
    To allay anyone's fears about this being a long-term issue, here's an email I got from LordGar last night:

"The build is now underway with fixes from both [name] and [name]. It will go to PTS in the morning."

We don't want to push anything before it's fully tested, and we don't want to put a fix on Live right before the weekend if we're not 100% confident -- but we are working to get this emote fix in as soon as possible. We know that this is an inconvenience, but if the alternative is crashing servers, we strongly believe this is the best possible option.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Or not enough challenge.

Really?

• Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    /e clap

*forums explode*

... :I

Still, timely fixes are good. If they come with bonus emotes that everyone's been requesting that'd be rad too, but I'm not expectin' 'em.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I think CO can live without a couple people who can't sit down for a week.

Well, ERP can be harder on some than others... sometimes you gotta be gentle.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    To allay anyone's fears about this being a long-term issue, here's an email I got from LordGar last night:

"The build is now underway with fixes from both [name] and [name]. It will go to PTS in the morning."

We don't want to push anything before it's fully tested, and we don't want to put a fix on Live right before the weekend if we're not 100% confident -- but we are working to get this emote fix in as soon as possible. We know that this is an inconvenience, but if the alternative is crashing servers, we strongly believe this is the best possible option.

[no sarcasim]
    Thanks for the heads up, good work.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

People who quit playing a game because it no longer provides what they find fun are silly?

I thought the point of games was that they're fun?

So if a game stops being fun for someone, what's their motivation for sticking around?

How long do you stick around during the process of "Death by a thousand cuts" before you decide you've had enough?

That's the point. There is no universal definition of fun.

Anyway, fix should be next week.

Well, ERP can be harder on some than others... sometimes you gotta be gentle.

Meh, ERP will be fine. There are hot tubs in hideouts, right?
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Sounds awesome, and yes, very good decision to test and not just shove the build live before the weekend. Thumbs up!
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Still, timely fixes are good. If they come with bonus emotes that everyone's been requesting that'd be rad too, but I'm not expectin' 'em.

Yes! I think for this inconvenience, we should get the Air Guitar emote, because we deserve to be excellent to each other.

PARTY ON, DUDES!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Yeah but who stands in hot tubs? :P
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013

It just isn't the same... QaQ Once you do it in the Club Caprice lounge, by the fountain, YOU NEVER GO BACK. Not even a hot tub can do it for ya anymore. Believe me, I've seen marriages ruined by this phenomenon.

Of course, it's not like the unhappy couple doesn't have a whole harem of demonvampirewolves to fall back on.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Quitting over emotes being disabled entirely is just the tip of the iceberg.

Oh its just one little thing begin taken from the game.
    Okay here's another thing being taken from the game.
    Now here's a whole bunch of small miniscule stuff from the game lost forever.
    See the a carrot? You aren't getting this by the way. Here's lettuce instead.
    By the way those little things that you liked playing that took longer than a couple hours to run through? Don't bother.

We're taking away this something that has been reported on for years because now we're bothering to fix it since its hurting our "priority" games too.

Sure. People are quitting just because of emotes being disabled.

And they are disabled because people are breaking the game with a long known problem.
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I think you missed the context of that joke. Look at what I quoted and then read what I said.

:trollface::
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Will this fix stop people from overlapping and interpolating multiple emotes with no text?

I kinda like doing that sometimes.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't think reasons for quitting are all on the same level, here. Like, I can't /e cry is stupid compared to "I paid for 3 months of game time and it never showed up, I bought 50 bucks worth of zen and it disappeared, customer service won't do anything about it, and the arcades in the lounge are out!!!"

And it's only for a week or so. I mean, sure, that date can get moved around, but as of this moment, the emotes are gone for a week. Anyone who would quit over that is simply throwing a tantrum. Honestly, "I can't see my character sit. FOR A WHOLE WEEK!"

Can CO afford less players? Considering that it doesn't seem that they're very interested in keeping old players, and are interested in selling keys to the new players who'll just quit in a month anyway, and then do the same with the next guy? Yes, I think CO can live without a couple people who can't sit down for a week.

Allegedly a "whole week." Knowing Cryptic, it'll probably take longer than that, if they ever bring emotes back at all, that is.

So I wouldn't hold my naive little breath if I were you.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    My breath is huge, dude.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited July 2013

Ok, I've tried to understand this time and time again and I simply cannot. Those bits I made red...why do they exist? Why are the names of the people(who I would guess are Lordgar just for the joke) hidden? Are they ashamed that they worked on CO? Is Cryptic afraid we'll figure out the actual dev team numbers(which, BTW, isn't a secret over at STO and wasn't a secret in CO in beta through the dev diaries)? Were they not cool enough to get codenames? Seriously, why the secrecy? I just don't get it.

If you cannot give me the answer behind the red bits that's cool. Don't lose your job over this or anything but PLEASE tell me why it's a secret and why you cannot. That's the bit I'm curious about.

P.S. I also don't get stealth patching, ESPECIALLY if it's a positive praise-worthy change. Just thought I'd add that bit while I was typing. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    P.S. I also don't get stealth patching, ESPECIALLY if it's a positive praise-worthy change. Just thought I'd add that bit while I was typing. :cool:

What, you mean that thing where pieces in the Bestial Robot Set were given extra materials that was totally undocumented and completely awesome, or are you talking about something else??

Why the hell do my posts keep making new pages
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))