test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does anyone who plays this game actually LIKE it?

obilanderobilander Posts: 6 Arc User
I'm new to Champions Online. I was getting tired of Goblins and Unicorns, so I started digging through Super Hero games. As many of you know, they are few and far between, especially if you are looking for the customization and persistent experience that MMOs provide. So far I'm really enjoying CO and prefer it over DCUO if for nothing else than the familiar stylized graphics/action mechanics. I'm refreshed at the simpler-more-practical powers/abilities that don't require a slew of add-ons to keep up with. I went ahead and bought a month's subscription so that I could fully appreciate what the game has to offer, and I just love it.

But the moment I started digging through forums for more information...sheesh. The nay-sayers are in super-active mode around here! I know forums are typically laden with more complaints than compliments, but everyone just seems to be riding this horse until its dead with broken legs while telling it that its legs are broken and is going to die soon. I mean, I don't really care for/about lockboxes either, but that seems to be where things are going and not just with Cryptic: ANet, I think Turbine, and I?m betting Blizzard will be as well sooner or later.

So what do you guys like about this game? Do you even like it at all? Should I not invest my time/money? I don't know, this might be silly, but it would be nice to hear some people support for this game. I'm really enjoying the game, so maybe this should matter, but its been a discouraging experience reading the forums.
Post edited by obilander on

Comments

• Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I?m new to Champions Online

Most of us have been here since 2009. Negative stuff just gathers up by the years.
    Ofcourse we are here because we hate the game so much....

Sure throw up few bucks and try the FreeForm. Like it, continue the money throwing. Don't like it, play as a Silver. Like it, continue playing. Don't like it, try something else.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Welcome to Champions Online, dude!

We love it. In fact, frankly, way too much. The problem is that a majority of us on the forums have been playing the game for much longer, and so we've seen pretty much the thick and thin of what Cryptic has done to this game over the past few years. Our problem is that they're not giving us enough new stuff for us very avid players to go through, as well as some other changes of stuff we don't entirely get. Hardly a problem for newer players, I say.

To put it another way: Yes. We hate it. But where the hell else are we going to find an MMO where we can play as practically anything?
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

• Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Welcome to the game,

I am a player who has posted alot of displeasure abot the current state of the game, but I do like this game.

It has been my home since it launched years ago. I still try to suggest the game to friends because for new people there is a lot to do. For many of us who have been here a while there is not.

The major complaints I have seen over and over is new content and communication.

But I love this game,a nd I will be here until it closes. IMO you will have more enjoyment playing the regular content vs the Alerts. You them to fill any gaps.

Find a good SG that fits your play style and enjoy.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    The forum is about 1% of active users.
    Active users are about 1% of actual number of players.

The average MMO player lasts 40 minutes.
    The above average lasts 4 hours.
    The exceptional lasts 40 hours.
    The extraordinary subscribes a month.

The truly unique whines in the forums for years.

There's your answer.

But yeah these forums are toxic.
    I went to City of Heroes forums one April Fools' Day and it was Funny.
    I popped back over here and it was like a conversation between three angry kids with asperger syndrome.

I think people only post in the forums when the dopamine stops getting absorbed during game play.
    If you are in 'the zone' having fun, you won't come to the forums at all.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    CO is my favorite game, even for all of its flaws.

Also, this forum is populated by, like... 40 people at max. We just kinda ineffectually shake our collective fists at Cryptic and at each other.
  • Options
    jovianjjovianj Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Most of us have been here since 2009. Negative stuff just gathers up by the years.

I'm another who has been here since 2009 and love it. Yes I would love to see new powers (happy about the ones just released) and of course no game is going to be perfect, but even when rl calls me away from a while, this is the one game I continue to play and even through lean times I try to hold onto my subscription here above all other games.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's good. It has flaws. No shortage at all.

We're here because we -do- like it. If it were a heap, we'd be gone. Simple as that. Bad, awful games don't keep people around.

We lash out and beat it up. I do it because I see wasted potential, and while things are looking up (sort of), there's a lot that needs to be hammered out.

As far as your money goes? I say wait 30 days. Play the game, tinker around with it, check out what's happening. Gauge it off the time you have in that 30 days. If by the second week you're bored with an AT, you're going to be bored by the fourth week with Freeform. If you're still interested in it after that 30 days, do a sub. If you really like it after that, drop the lifetime fee on it.
  • Options
    ruukiruuki Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Champions is probably one of my favorite MMOs out right now. Its one of the only games out that truly offers you everything you need to really create your own character and powers. You can give him/her a bio which I love. And regardless of what people say, the in-game community isn't THAT bad. I have made more friends here than in any other game. Most of which have just come from complimenting people on their badass character or joining groups.
    I do love the missions and the storylines and yeah they get old after repeatedly playing them often (if you make alot of alts...which you probably will) But what game doesn't?

What people complain about, myself included, is how the game is treated. It has been neglected compared to the other games on the Perfect World roster. It's just now getting a few updates which seem to be revolved around lockboxes. There has been a rumor for the longest that there isn't much of a dev team. Some people try to argue that but no one (besides TT) comes and even acknowledges us here. They did supposedly just open some Crypic North branch or something like that but even still, they haven't said much either...if anything. Not even a "hello."

As far as investing in the game...I have stopped playing for the reasons I stated above. I was subscribed for about 2 years before I finally unsubbed. And now that I have, Its really hard for me to play because I got used to playing Freeform and having certian perks like power coloring. And I hate archetypes. Sure, you can buy a freeform slot for 50 bucks but because of the lack of updates, I'm not sure if I want to even invest in that...

And I damn sure am not spending 300 bucks on a lifetime sub.

Sorry for the wall of text. I tried to keep it short, but that's the gist of things at the moment from my perspective. Its a fun game, especially for the newcomers. But not really worth a long time investment without a steady flow of updates and new content. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    chaosdrgnz43chaosdrgnz43 Posts: 1,674 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Welcome to CO!

I hope you'll love this game as much as I do.
    Maybe its because I was able to create one of my original chars (OCs) in-game. It was not an exact model, but it is close enough. If you're also an artist or comicbook fan, you'll really love the costume creator here in CO. Try it, it may be fun playing as one of your creations. :D

The only thing I don't like how a lot of negativity spreads here like an epidemic. That and lockboxes/lottery boxes. A lot of people keep complaining and complaining that sometimes I feel really sorry for Cryptic.

Just don't let other people's opinion influence you. Try to have your own opinion and stick to that. :D
    mfZ37eB.png
    Feel free to visit my websites!^^:
    DeviantART|FurAffinity|
    Twitter
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »

Also, this forum is populated by, like... 40 people at max. We just kinda ineffectually shake our collective fists at Cryptic and at each other.

This.

I love CO. I like it more than any other MMO I have ever played.

The forum does not have many regular posters, and many of them are very negative. They want a place to vent frustrations, usually because they actually like the game, but it isn't all they want it to be.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    enixonbbenixonbb Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    From what I've seen a good chunk of the negativity comes from people that legitimately DO like the game but are frustrated because despite all of it's potential it gets treated like the neglected red-headed step-child of the Cryptic games.

Now if you want REAL negativity, go visit the Neverwinter forums, good friggin lord I swear this place is a happy land of butterflies and rainbows by comparison.
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    enixonbb wrote: »
    Now if you want REAL negativity, go visit the Neverwinter forums, good friggin lord I swear this place is a happy land of butterflies and rainbows by comparison.

Too friggen' true man.

They're already calling NWO dead and forgotten, and whining about no devs. :rolleyes:
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Love the game. Despite my recent attitude toward it, I still spend more time in Champions than I do in any other video game. I just wish there was something to do with all that time.

The reason for the bad attitudes recently (going back almost a year now) is that development on the game has slowed down. People were used to seeing more content and more options at a faster rate than we get now. But is the game fun, and do we like it? Hell yeah.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It's a fun game. You will get your entertainment value out of it for sure.
  • Options
    rowan79rowan79 Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am a staunch lover of this game. Come hell or high water, i always find something to do, be it chatting, content. ap's runs, tailors ( ermahagahd the tailor's <3<3)

Its all a matter of perspective.

"Do you know what power is? Power is control of men who are lesser than you."
  • Options
    xienthxienth Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We complain cause we care to much.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I for one, LOVE CO.

So much. So it is very heart breaking to see when it is treated so badly. The Community here is excellent and have a lot of very very good ideas which if taken into consideration would do wonders for the game.

We have a fantastic Community Manager: TrailTurtle. Who despite the rising negativity replies with a level headed response and acts as a mediator. He alone is probably one of the most positive things to happen in Champions Online. And I stand by that.

People complain because they love this game and don't want to see it die. I complain for that reason also.

Welcome to CO by the way, we hope as you go through your experience the game gets better. :smile:

EDIT: If you have picked up on any bugs since the recent update please post here: http://co-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=231691
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I have 5 40's. Ask anyone in this forum how many max toons they have and you will be amazed by the amounts. 5 is actually a pretty moderate number compared to some people. I'm in love with this game but that love also comes with heart break. It's warm and endearing and at the same time soul crushing. Champs, as in the game itself, is very giving. Few games give you full content access as a silver and few others give you a new slot for every character that reaches 40 when you subscribe. But that's counter balanced by the downward spiral lack of attention from Cryptic. Under Robobo we were about to go places. We were gearing up for a possible level increase and a new zone. We had power reviews regularly. It seemed like we might be able to make the big turn around. Then he got moved and things sort of fell a part. TT has been the biggest blessing and has been doing an amazing job of trying to hold things together. Now the dry spell seems to be finally lifting and at the end of the day we are all just hoping desperately that it stays away and the development (and communication) improves. With Cryptic North (I think) fully gathered together now I hope we can see even better improvements.

TL;DR
    ...I'm basically saying Champs is an amazing game, try it out and love it. We're just hurting because we've loved too much xD

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yes.
    Yes, I like CO.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I really enjoy CO. Mostly I am a Roleplayer in the community so I don't do much content unless it is helping out friends. Main reason I enjoy it so much is the character customization. When I suggest new games to my friends I always ask them to try out CO. At least over half of that I suggested it to are playing CO now.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I heard that Caliga enjoys the game, but should his love ever falter, the servers would shudder and collapse in his wake.

This server instability crap isn't his fault, is it?
    edited July 2013
    One of the things that you have to understand is that most of the people who post on this Forum have played through the entire game, start to finish, at LEAST 20-30 times. That's a lot. And now they are bored out of their gourds and desperate for ANYTHING new. So what you have to learn is that you are playing a game that is SOOOOO good that it has people climbing the walls in frustration after they have played it more than any other game in their personal collections. I've been here since the Pre-Launch, and I'm actually one of the more RECENT subscribers in terms of forum usage.

So welcome to our addiction and I look forward to many more posts from the newest member of our Crew of Crazies here on the Champs Forums!

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    people who care complain. In this case co is not only a game we like but, given specific preferences it is literally the only video game out there for people who like customizable superheros . other superhero games either make you an established char or limit your customization too heavily, so yeah a lot of us really like this game, and as a result we want to see it get stronger and get active development.

This is the second superhero mmo by cryptic, the first got a fairly steady flow of content and grew significantly over the course of 8 years. in my opinion that was the greatest game i have ever played , and i have been gaming since 1982. co has shown far less interest from its developers and a lot of us are saying that the game deserves batter treatment and would be more attractive to new players if it was being actively supported. Co has the potential to be even greater.

so those complaints you see? look deeper. some are by fans who have turned toxic, not unusual for any game, but a lot are from fans that love the game and hate how its being handled. that said, they do seem to have listened to our complaints with the recent content so there are signs of progress. if they keep adding missions, finally get us some new costumes and grow the game a bit, i expect you to see a much more positive fanbase. not 100%, no game gets that, but better.
  • Options
    jaguar40jaguar40 Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Yeah I like this game. I dont play games I dont enjoy. Defeats the purpose for me to play something I dont enjoy as the whole point of me playing a game is for enjoyment.

It's sad that it gets next to zero attention and not thrown any real meat. We get left over bones, temprary content and lockboxes, but not much else. And I personally dont mind lockboxes except it's just repackaged same old stuff from the last lockbox and about the only thing updated on a regular basis. The events are cool but again only temporary.

But still the game is fun overall.

There are stuff that I like about this game bue be forewarned I am not speaking in any way or any fashion or in any manner at all for anyone else. What follows is what I, me, only me personally like about this game.

I do like the customization options, the freeform, the costumes, the ability to solo and team which ever one in them ood for both effectively, the alerts, the storylines, the artwork, the comic book theme feel of it, the controls, the way the powers are done with not much hit rolls or worrying about acc., the ability to build if I choose, DPS, support, tank, or a little of all three in one toon.

Just wished there was more additions over the time, permanent additions.

Give it a try, and see if you like it, then you like it, dont matter what others say. If you dont, same deal. But I wouldnt recommend using a forum as guage of whether or not you would like the game or not. Forums tend to be a bit not positive regardless of the game whether it's CO, NW, WoW, COX, DCUO etc. If I went by the way forum looked and the comments and complaints and the heated arguements and name calling over the silly stuff, I woud have passed on COX and never even played it and that would have been sad as COX come to find out was a good game that I enjoyed until I didnt anymore and moved on to other games.

But as I said give the game a try and see for yourself. Only you can be the judge of what you enjoy or not enjoy. People can only see things with their own eyes based on themselves and what they like and dont like. And me too. Everyone see things differently, enjoy different things and what is one horrible god aweful task feature or game to one may be the time of the life for another.
  • Options
    p0temk1np0temk1n Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    900-ish day vet here. Yes, I like it, and I like playing it. I'm more upset at how the game's been treated lately than anything else.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[thread=139701]My old, old guide for Ego Blades. Updated for On: Alert.[/thread]
    [thread=154211]The Costume Contest Schedule. Stay up-to-date without having to log in![/thread]
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I can understand the confusion, however. There have been a couple of people who have just started posting in the past few days, who seem to actively hate CO and everything it stands for (including one memorable statement, obviously in another thread, that it was impossible to have fun playing this game).

I've been playing since F2P. I only play games that I enjoy - I played WoW for a couple of years, but have since uninstalled it; I played SWTOR for a bit, but then uninstalled it; I tried a two-week trial of EVE, then swore loudly and uninstalled it. I'm contemplating uninstalling NW, but CO and STO are on my permanent play list. Make of that what you will.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    moira66moira66 Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I luvs this game. :D
  • Options
    meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited July 2013
    Yes. I do. I have no habit of playing games which I do not like.
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    one memorable statement, obviously in another thread, that it was impossible to have fun playing this game

"The difficult we do immediately. The impossible takes a little longer."

I guess that's why I've been playing for a while now.
    edited July 2013
    I love this game, I have been a subscriber since the start. To be honest I didn't really get into the game until COH closed down. It's fun to play man. At one point they had an active Dev team bringing things in every month. they even had a calender advertising things in advanced.
    But of course PWE shifted focus to other games so things kinda dried out. The game has alot of flaws and there are alot of unhappy ppl. Some with real complaints but most are spoiled self entitled brats. Like in every MMO there are exploits, whiners, exploiters, price inflators, and ppl with very high expectations.

Not trying to pick on anyone but you can tell the ppl that are concerned about the game by the content of their complaints. Those ppl normally have a legit gripe and even offer an intelligent reasonable solution to the problem they are addressing while the others who are brats just whine. The brats whine.. "claim" they are quitting, then don't follow thru. They just return next week.

Anyway man welcome to the game. Subscribe for a month and see for yourself what you like and don't like about this game.

*Throws up flame shield*
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    No. I have never done both of these at the same time since year 1.

I have played the game and hated it.

I have quit the game and liked it.

But it's been so long since I've played the game.. and liked it. Know why?

It's not a video game. It's a jumbled mess of computer code and bad decisions where you can look pretty.

enjoy.
  • Options
    cheelanghocheelangho Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    From the perspective of another newbie (i've been playing this for like, 4 months) i got to say i freakin' love this game:

Initially, i came into PWI games looking for an Action MMORPG after i finished watching Sword Art Online (i only recommend watching it if you're an anime freak or a hardcore MMO addict) so i joined RaiderZ but didn't liked it very much, and before canceling my account i thought i'd give a try to the other games and here i am :biggrin:

What got me hooked of CO is the setting (Super Heroes), since this is the only option besides DCUO (Marvel Diablo edition doesn't count for me), the character creator -who doesn't wants to create his/her own original super hero?- and *fanfare* FLIGHT POWERS!, float above my enemies and let go a rain of bullets on them before they know what hit them is one of my favorite things to do

Welcome to CO and don't mind the doomsaying
    SIGNATURE.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    gamehobo wrote: »
    No. I have never done both of these at the same time since year 1.

I have played the game and hated it.

I have quit the game and liked it.

But it's been so long since I've played the game.. and liked it. Know why?

It's not a video game. It's a jumbled mess of computer code and bad decisions where you can look pretty.

enjoy.
    And I ask again - why are you here? Why are you wasting your time, and ours, haunting the message boards of a game you completely refuse to play? Is there some enjoyment you might derive from this? I'm honestly confused.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    danteandersendanteandersen Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    At its core, CO is a good game with so much potential.

Unfortunately, most of that potential was squandered and cool things with potential were either taken out of the game (the Legacy costume pieces, crafting 1.0 and power replacers), were started and now languish in a half-broken state, not being fixed or expanded on anymore (Nemesis system), or not even in the game at all even though it would be a big boon to the game (Foundry system from STO/NW).

In its current state, I'd say that CO is about 30% of the amazing game it could be... it's fun for a while, but when you start seeing all the glaring problems in the game, that fun starts to dwindle quickly. The game needs more permanent, non-Alert content and new zones with fresh mission storylines. With over 30 years of source material available from the IP, it feels like it has less content than the combination of the Champions, Champions II and Champions III books that started the IP in the early 1980's.

-END OF LINE
  • Options
    gamehobogamehobo Posts: 1,970 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    And I ask again - why are you here? Why are you wasting your time, and ours, haunting the message boards of a game you completely refuse to play? Is there some enjoyment you might derive from this? I'm honestly confused.

Well.. I quit again yesterday for the foreseeable future. Just completed my uninstall.
    Also I have decided to sell my stock of PWE.

So what's in my future?

For the forums I'll just spout my opinions and correct people's ignorance of the game's history.

I'll consider (though not stoked about it since Cryptic owns it) supporting the Champions Universe IP but that's very much in the air.

Also I am actively submitting articles to some game review sites that I promised.. oh.. 10 and a half months ago. Mostly Opinion Editorials on Champions Online.. I suspect the tone will have gone from their original intent of praising the game to something more.. distasteful.

I've halted my work on the comic book i was producing using many of my friend's characters (most of whom are remade in CO). I'm hoping to continue my work but using another IP... this was never for profit and will be released digitally for free.

I'm going to use Marvel Heroes if/when I feel the need to don some tights.
    And will likely be seeking a competitor to plant some funding into to get it off the ground properly. Custom Superhero engines are great and I plan on being there when the next one comes along.

Also I may be recruiting for a tabletop game I'll be starting at the end of summer over Google Hangout.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
  • Options
    blkmaskblkmask Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Actually, we love the game. If we didn't love it we wouldn't bother to waste our time complaining. The problem is many players feel that Cryptic does not have the same love we do.
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Posts: 7,732 Arc User
    edited July 2013

morbid curiosity?
    glutton for punishment?
    closet masochist?

most of the whining and ...<expletive deleted> is to to the complete lack of care which has been shown to this game, which we all agree has a lot of potential.

we get especially annoyed when we see the other cryptic games getting a lot of attention and THEIR players complaining about the LACK OF STUFF THEY GET.

blatant plug:

If one toon is never enough, head over to general gameplay and join the alt-aholics thread. only 4 level 40 characters required to get on the list.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    4e1f62c7-8ea7-4996-8f22-bae41fea063b_zpsu7p3urv1.jpg

• Options
    ariesmajorariesmajor Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    With 1047 hours on steam with this game alone, I'd definitely say yes.
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Well, after a 4 months break and being completly burnt out of GW2 and Planetside 2, I just came back here. Nothing changed, everything is familiar and out of all the games I have, CO is still the best place for me to just do random stuff and chill out.

I like the game. It could be so much better with only a little bit of attention though, it's the only maddening part.

• Options
    atringatring Posts: 233 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I don't actually play the game. This is just the last forum that hasn't kicked me off for trolling. :biggrin:

Totally kidding. I enjoy the game. I'm not sure if I like it. I've spent a little on the game. Right now, I'm playing the Zen game to unlock stuff, and I'm still working my way through the content. I haven't gotten bored with it, yet, but the shine is starting to wear off.

Part of the problem since December, 2012.
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    We like this game. We hate how the people running it have been running it. Difference.

A lot of MMOs seem to be in this state, and for good reasons.

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    lucasjacksonlucasjackson Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    smoochan wrote: »
    We like this game. We hate how the people running it have been running it. Difference.

That's about right.
  • Options
    obilanderobilander Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    keikomyst wrote: »

This made me laugh, love it. Anyway, thanks to everyone, I appreciate the feedback and support for the game (despite its failings). I've paid for a month and have built couple of FF characters that I'm having fun with.

While I have you here I do have a couple of questions:

1. Should you just take Quarry, regardless of anything? I started looking for synergistic Forms, like Stormbringer in a Electricity/Wind build. But the more I look into it I just see Quarry Quarry Quarry, whatever the build.

2. In the aforementioned Electricity/Wind build, I'm focusing on Ego/Con/Rec. Does that sound about right?

3. My other character is Technology based using alot of particle damage. I'm reading that basically you should focus on End/Int but what about the third? con, rec, or ego? Also, Targeting computer looks great and is alot of fun, but is it effective? Should I just shut up and take Quarry like a good boy?

I know this will all change at 40 but I'm soaking in the info now and would appreciate any advice. Thanks again!
  • Options
    jorifice1jorifice1 Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It really depends. If you like a goodly bit of survivability with high damage go Con./Dex./Ego. If you want raw damage without running out of gas? Try Dex./Ego/Rec. or Int. If you are using Munitions, then Quarry is the standard for a reason: It works, and works well. You could also spice things up with Aura of Primal Majesty. If survivability is your biggest concern, you may want to think of a Defensive Passive. You can do a LOT of damage with a good Munitions build, even without an Offensive Passive. Regeneration or even Defiance can do wonders.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • Options
    gamakytegamakyte Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    Howdy Obilander,

Ive started playing CO back in about 2010-2011 somewhere, played a day and subbed for lifetime. Even being the extreme casual player that I am, playing a few months here and a few months there, over the years the life membership was well worth it. You only need to pay for what you enjoy, if you can get over that "what the jones' got" mentality.

Ive rarely ducked in here to the forums. Im trying to get more involved now in the last week to get to know more people here and to learn more about my builds. Ive had lots of fun just playing around with stupid builds (basically poorer versions of the basic ATs with an extra power thrown in here or there), making costumes and dying hundreds of times and just solo RPing my characters. For me its all about making a character concept regardless of its flaws. Comic heroes are very rarely unstoppable, most have major flaws and in those flaws lies the character itself.

I was a bit shocked by the beat up here in the forums when I first started reading but soon realised its the talk of peeps that really love the game. Its like your spose, you will say all sorts of things but at the end of the day you couldn't say half that stuff if you didn't really love and care about 'em. Under all the mud slinging theres lots you can learn about costume creation and power sets, how certain builds work and learn that theres lots of combos and synergies yet to be discovered. So unless you care alot about the competition, I wouldn't worry too much about having 'the best', try out the power sets and see what works for you and whats cool, what has funky colours and effects that go boom, just the way you like them too, thats where lots of the fun is at.

anyway, ramble,

Have fun

gama
    The short, blunt answer:
    Yes. I like it very much, flaws and all. I wouldn't be playing it if I didn't.

The longer answer:
    Even after over a year of playing CO is currently my favorite MMO. And it's the one MMO (besides CoX) I find myself keep coming back to. And have a fine time both soloing and teaming when I do play it. it's also one of the few non fantasy or milspec shoot 'em up MMO's out there to play. And IMO the best of the super's one out their.

Still the constant complaints on the boards does then to make one think like that.

Still, why I find the constant B*tch fests' annoying, but necessary as it points out things wrong with the game that need attention to. I just wish their was more 'praise' threads to balance it out some what.
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I wouldn't be here if I didn't like the game.

Also, create the character you want to play. I don't really pay attention to the min/maxing threads and I do just fine.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,594 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I may have said this before, maybe even in this thread. I love this game and every penny I used to spend for Lifetime and any extra zen I purchased has been worth all the content that was out up to that point. And that was shortly after Resistance came out.

Everything up to Whiteout has been promising, save for hideouts being done poorly. I should have took it as a sign.

On Alert came out and was a refreshing look at the game. But everything implemented since has had the hideout mentality of failure. Have a dev work on the new thing and then remove them from the dev team or divide their attention so thin it gets pushed with in "whatever" mode.

I don't regret buying Lifetime. I also don't regret spending a single penny further after comics were abandoned.
This discussion has been closed.