test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

People say theres too many villains in CO...

2»

Comments

• Options
    iflyte1iflyte1 Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It's really no surprise that the vast majority of "heroes" you see have dark or evil themes. It's whats popular now. It's the same across many mmo's, especially those that include some kind of aesthetic gear swapping. The most popular sets usually are the darkest, spikiest ones with the most glow. Also many of the "heroes" in a lot of popular games are at the vary least edgy if not some spawn of evil itself. Hell my highest level character is a vampire.

As far as I'm concerned it's okay too. While it would be nice to see a lot more tight wearing classic heroes like the ones I grew up with it's just not going to happen. I'm also not sure adding in more "Good" looking pieces would really do anything (Not that I wouldn't want them anyway). They would either be not used by the people that create dark characters or be used, colored black, and thrown on an evil character anyway.

Of course this is not to say I don't cringe a little when I see darkevildemonvampirewhowaskickedoutofhellbecausehewastopowerfulsoweakerbeingswereabletokickhimoutofhellinsteadofhimrulingoverthemlikeagod #1,000,001, but, it's not really because there character is evil but more because their costume is usually really ugly. Not ugly in a good way either but ugly in the "there was a costume slot that I could fill so I filled it with the most bad **** piece I could find regardless of whether it went with my characters theme or not" way. Then there's the use and abuse of the darkest black and neon green/blue/red combo. Slap on as much glow as possible and put the ventilator mask on along with glowing eyes surrounded by a sea of black makeup.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course but I think the problem comes from the over the top nature of a lot of costumes. Which is an inherent "problem" with the Champions character creator. Subtlety is key IMO.

And now about those female characters with unproportional, muscular, thunderthighs....
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Heroic tights!!

Here's Spider-Bat...

Spider-Bat.png

...and his former sidekick Blackwing...

Blackwing-1_zps736e5f36.png
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    rugrothrumborrugrothrumbor Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People are just using the same old monster pieces. You're just seeing a lot of people using them. But in terms of variety there is more armor and robot pieces.

And if you take away robot/armor and monster/demon pieces... you just have tights. And I can't see how much more variety you can get with just tights, masks and capes then more flat designs on them. There are some tights costume packs on zen store. The reason you don't see these on people is because people don't prefer them or they don't stand out enough for you to see them on people's toons.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just wish there were more cyborg-wolf-dragons.
    We don't have enough of them.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    rokurocarisrokurocaris Posts: 1,074 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    8469713501_234d6a3f53_b.jpg

I created this abomination some time ago, to ridicule the trend we are disgussing here.
    I stood with him in the Ren Center arena, trying to show everyone just how stupid this "style" looks.

And then, some guy PMed "cool costume dude!"

tumblr_l96b01l36p1qdhmifo1_500.jpg
  • Options
    honestresearcherhonestresearcher Posts: 657 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wish my true love Diamondback got his own content :< hes sat in the Desert, and has defeated every hero he has ever laid eyes on. He doesnt even have his own Alert! You meanies!

WhereArtThouDiamondback.jpg
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wish my true love Diamondback got his own content :< hes sat in the Desert, and has defeated every hero he has ever laid eyes on. He doesnt even have his own Alert! You meanies!

WhereArtThouDiamondback.jpg

Yeah a lot of cool foes that are in this game dont get a look in with alerts weres the Menton and Shadow Destroyer alerts.

I said SHADOW DESTROYER not DR DESTROYER untwist ur panties guys Shadow D is a push over \o/
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    8469713501_234d6a3f53_b.jpg

I created this abomination some time ago, to ridicule the trend we are disgussing here.
    I stood with him in the Ren Center arena, trying to show everyone just how stupid this "style" looks.

Well, it does look rather bad ****. I just feel sorry for the artist that would have to draw him over and over in each panel if he had his own comic.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    True facts:
    Nobody realizes the potential of:
    Mikohero.png
    this jacket. Some days it feels like I'm the only one wearing it. It's super heroic and awesome but still cool. :D

Also, I beat Diamondback. Once. With a tank character. 10 levels above him.

Vengeance feels good.
  • Options
    kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I really don't think anyone gets "evil" out of this:

MissBehavinAltProfile_zps7bfdfb30.jpg

Then again, the only evil thing I actively do is hypnotize Teleioclones to perform Swan Lake to a crowd of polar bears and shove buckets of worms down evil genius's collars.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well, it does look rather bad ****.

See. Once I'm trying to make a bad costume, and people still like it. -.-;
  • Options
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    See. Once I'm trying to make a bad costume, and people still like it. -.-;

Your options at this point include:

• Pander to an extremely niche crowd
    • Throw dignity to the wind and make one that's completely "mainstream".
    • Some other third thing that I can't think of right now
    • Make a character from the Sonic series

Whichever you choose be sure to keep disinfectant on hand.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Similar happened to me on the forums. I made a character that was an example of why you don't NEED to put a costume piece in every slot available, that less is more. Someone said it was "EPIC!!!"

junk.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    kemmicals wrote: »
    I really don't think anyone gets "evil" out of this:

MissBehavinAltProfile_zps7bfdfb30.jpg

OMG you have a skull belt, dragon/serpent bracer, skelleton paint and TORN pants! You gawd durned emo "I want to pretend to be 'evil'" players are ruining mah supers game about ultimate butt kicking for goodness! Wear light colored tights with no skulls once in a while, will ya! :mad:
    PS: I'm only teasing/trollface :P
    Similar happened to me on the forums. I made a character that was an example of why you don't NEED to put a costume piece in every slot available, that less is more. Someone said it was "EPIC!!!"

I wish my former boss would realize that. He always wanted me to fill every corner of negative space of every design with some textures, watermark style background image or something at least, because according to him, clean layouts with empty spaces and white (or single color) backgrounds "weren't design". He would say that they looked like no work had gone into them and felt that he couldn't sell clients on them becuase they looked "too empty". :rolleyes:

It was kinda like the how a web design goes straight to hell comic, only he was a boss instead of a client, so EVERY single project went straight to hell.

That being said, that thing DOES look kinda "EPIC!" Sorry to disappoint but apparently you spent too much time and energy trying to make all those busy pieces work and look good, so you failed to fail. :tongue: Its not so much that it's impossible to make a busy design that works, its just that designs with less crap in them tend to be more effective.
    Could a Croc-bat possibly be... a superhero?

Yes, the parody is intended and this gentleman patrolling Vibora Bay is the most 'evil looking' character I have.

Besides, the attraction for badass shaped features is justified. I rarely get away from robot parts. The Rhino below my post is the first thing I've ever made. I often try to create weird beings, neutral for the most part, often victims.

Most of them aren't based on being a superhero but are bound to make a beneficial impact during their time.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I wish my former boss would realize that. He always wanted me to fill every corner of negative space of every design with some textures, watermark style background image or something at least, because according to him, clean layouts with empty spaces and white (or single color) backgrounds "weren't design". He would say that they looked like no work had gone into them and felt that he couldn't sell clients on them becuase they looked "too empty". :rolleyes:

It was kinda like the how a web design goes straight to hell comic, only he was a boss instead of a client, so EVERY single project went straight to hell.

Was your boss Todd McFarlane by any chance? That's one artist that has always hated negative space.
    That being said, that thing DOES look kinda "EPIC!" Sorry to disappoint but apparently you spent too much time and energy trying to make all those busy pieces work and look good, so you failed to fail. :tongue: Its not so much that it's impossible to make a busy design that works, its just that designs with less crap in them tend to be more effective.

Indeed it does look EPIC!. I mean, holy cow... it flows together too well.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Indeed it does look EPIC!. I mean, holy cow... it flows together too well.

You guys are pulling my leg, right? I threw together every robot piece I could find and mismatched everything except for the colors. It's a mess, it's too big, I named the guy Junk Man because he looks like a pile of junk.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    rianfrostrianfrost Posts: 578 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    you know, not to throw cold water here, but i always felt there was a very practical reason for so much "evil" looking stuff. most of our costuem pieces are pieces they used to make the enemy groups. It is a practical idea, art assets doing double duty, and soemthign i recall rpers complaining that coh did not do so yeah, there is so much evil stuff (not that i see pulp costumes, wizard costumes, holo-armor, ror the various tights patterns we have gotten as evil) because they are making villain groups with them and porting them. especially given the realities of the development priority in the past few months, i wouldn't expect a significant change in that.

now there is a wider question as to what exactly "good" looks like, in general most heroes i have seen in and out of genre tend to use fairly basic outfits from recognizable groups , like the military, police or even very basic circus strongman tights, even if that is something of an anachronism these days, for a good portion of the legacy superheroes. i looking at existing superheroes in moth major and minor publications, few have some look that is uniquely indicative of their ethics, and more are simply ones that suggest what they do and add some little iconic touch to them. enough comics, movies and other heroic relate media has been written about not taking a persons personality by their appearance, you'd think that would have sunk in by now. also, it does give some needed variety to a teams look that everyone is not just a bunch of physically fit people running about posing in long underwear

note that as a guy who'se main has always been a half dragon martial artist, the whole horns and animal bits are evil thing has been something of an irritant to me. my favorite superhero is nightcrawler, who has fangs, dark blue skin, weird hands and feet and a "devils" tail, and he is one of the most purely good oriented heroes i can think of. Variety helps the genre keep from getting stagnant.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    You guys are pulling my leg, right? I threw together every robot piece I could find and mismatched everything except for the colors. It's a mess, it's too big, I named the guy Junk Man because he looks like a pile of junk.

Well, I'm not saying its the best design I've ever seen. But for a hulking mess it looks pretty well put together and balanced. Kinda like something Pixar would come up with (probably sans the wings) for a secondary character in a film about robots. The guy would probably start out as a scary, hulking recluse the main character and his/her main interest would eventually learn to love as a sort of father figure.

They would probably give him more character defining elements like some rust, maybe some smoke coming out of his head and a skweaky foot or something. Probably make him redish or orange color instead of green to make him stand out (or maybe brownish or bronze to give him an aged look). Then give him a weird, seemingly out of character aspiration, like wanting to become a robot-opera singer, but ended up hauling pieces of metal in scrapyard instead.

And the pieces don't look missmatched at all. Both arms use different pieces, but the right arm shoulder and bracer pieces match and both use the same gloves to give it some continuity, giving it a modern, asymmetric look as a whole. The rest are all matching pieces and the overlarge arms and torso stand in sharp contrast with the oversmall legs and hips, which further enhances the "big hulking guy" look as well as the overall asymmetric look, only instead of being side/side (horizontal) asymmetry, its top/down (vertical) asymmetry. While out of character with his Pixar persona, the robotic bat wings also help enhance his hulking, vertically asymmetric and make him something you would find bashing purples in CO.

So yeah, pulling your leg... but kinda serious at the same time :tongue:

Was his first Nemesis Mega Man, by any chance?

Personally, I don't mind the grimdark occult stuff. Mostly because my characters tend to have a heavy scifi theme, usually robots.
  • Options
    edited February 2013

No, it actually does look good. Vision elaborated why. He does look like he'd be a Pixar character. Or maybe a Transformer.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The backstory I could imagine would involve an impoverished genius (similar to my PnP Champs character Handyman), who slapped together whatever parts came to hand to build his combat robot.

Don't know that I'd call it "epic", but it's honestly not as ugly as some toons that I've seen made in seriousness. Maybe if you recolored every part separately, in clashing colors (then it would start to look like another PnP character a friend of mine made in college - a brick named Clash, whose subsidiary power, bought at 0 END through the OIF of his costume, was to force the enemy to have to save vs PRE the first time he showed up in any given combat, or fight for three full rounds at -3 OCV due to vertigo...).
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No, it actually does look good. Vision elaborated why. He does look like he'd be a Pixar character. Or maybe a Transformer.

Ayup. 10 char
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Well I guess I know who I'm taking to costume contests now. :tongue:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited February 2013

junk.jpg

Reminds me of those Bionicle toys from a decade back. My daughter used to nag me a lot for those things..so yeah that toon of yours Smack is 100% evil in my books :I
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    nepht wrote: »
    ....well heres why. All the best costume unlocks are dark grim glowey things you give a 12 year old a dark grim demon head he WILL make a radiant called DEATH HEAL ( based on true events ). And yes before the grim darks start going blah blah blah your a hero snob , sorry to disappoint Nepht is a villain :3

What this game needs is more uber cool golden age heroic costume bits.

If everybody has evil toons I wont have anyone to fight :I

I never got the impression that we had too many villains, just a bit more dark heroes. And that's really alright, because it's the current trend. Were this game released in the 90s, we'd have a ton of Bloodshots, Murderknives and so on. From what I can tell, current games and movies (can't say about comics or cartoons really) are big on moral ambiguity, "dark is not evil" and other, similar concepts.

And, like Vision said, it depends on how you use the costume pieces. My only villain character is a VIPER, who is recognizable as a villain due to the emblem. My "obligatory grimdark" character is as dark as the night in Alaska, but I've used relatively neutral costume pieces for him. And he's not even a villain.

We also have a ton of hero costume pieces, so I don't see how we're lacking the means to make heroes. Plus, all the "most evil murder hate death death" pieces are either unlocks, or stuff you need to buy. Stuff you can avoid if you aren't interested. Unless you're the kind of person who feels guilty over receiving a drop and feels like they need to justify it by making dedicated characters for it.
  • Options
    harryhausenharryhausen Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sekimen wrote: »
    Were this game released in the 90s, we'd have a ton of Bloodshots, Murderknives and so on.

Watch what happens if Hudson City ever gets added.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    sekimen wrote: »
    I never got the impression that we had too many villains, just a bit more dark heroes. And that's really alright, because it's the current trend. Were this game released in the 90s, we'd have a ton of Bloodshots, Murderknives and so on.

Hey, 90's antiheroes, if done right, are pretty cool and stylish.
    Bulky black armor with lots of blades and spikes and glowing details has little to do with any superhero trend though. If you ask me, these are more influenced by fantasy games.
    Daedric_Armor%5BWEB%5D.jpg
    Daedric_Weapons%5BWEB%5D.jpg

Hmm... Maybe Cryptic should make such a costume set. I'm sure it would sell. :rolleyes:
    Watch what happens if Hudson City ever gets added.

The next zone on scedule (yeah, I know; that doesn't mean much) is the "bad part of Millenium City", a zone for darker heroes like Nighthawk.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Truth be told, I'm fine with 'lawful evil' villains in Roleplay. And, the added truth to that is very few people know how to play that.

While I sort of agree that we need LESS evil grim/dark/monster/demon/bed intruder stuff, I'm not sure how we can get more 'Silver Age' stuff. Like what, capes and tights? I'd be fine with that, but hey.... not a WHOLE lot you can do.

Sadly this game's RP community spits on Antiheroes- and even MORE sadly, most of them don't realize that most 'antiheroes' are well within their legal rights as a citizen. Fun fact, kids- in the USA, you ARE allowed to use deadly force in defense of life and limb of yourself and others! My character is former military, and he'll laugh in your face if you tell him guns are wrong- especially if your toon can throw tanks, belch fire, or fart lightning.

I suppose I can understand if people don't know how to play antiheroes. But personally, I prefer not to play a hero that believes a swell face-punching and a trip to the local authorities can solve a problem. There's a difference between 'crime-fighting' and 'combat'.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Depends on the state - I'm not sure of Michigan's stance on use of deadly force.

Here in Washington, you're justified if you're defending yourself, another person, or your own property, and you reasonably fear the other party may initiate deadly force. That's a big ol' gray area.

When I was stuck in southern California for a few years, I was told that deadly force was only justified in defense of human life, if the other party had already initiated deadly force, and if there was no reasonable escape available. You were expected to flee your own home if someone broke into it.

OTOH, some of the "antiheroes" utilize deadly force against others who they suspect might commit crimes that haven't even happened yet (cf the Punisher), or against those who themselves haven't initiated deadly force yet, and who may in fact be trying to flee (cf Niko Bellic, or many of the self-proclaimed "badass" characters in-game). They often hold up Batman as their classic antihero - and somehow miss the fact that Bats deliberately engineers his gadgets so as to cause minimal injury to others (gas pellets, martial arts, foreswearing the use of firearms, etc). When a bad guy dies at Batman's hands, it's in spite of everything he could do.

(That's why when I was defining Detroit Iron's suit powers for the intermittent tale I've been telling with him, I had his shoulder-mounted Gatling gun firing "mercy bullets", slivers of crystallized anaesthetic, carefully chosen to cause allergic reactions in the fewest number of people. His missiles are flash-bangs, not incendiaries; he calibrates his chest beam to impact his foes with what he believes to be minimal energies necessary to incapacitate them. He doesn't want to cause permanent injury - he's a hero.)

• Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some days I swear if the NPC population of this game were like our PCs, this game would play like this:

NPC Child: Help! I'm trapped in a fire! Help!

NPC Mom: My baby! Save my baby!

Captain Cape flies in, heralded by a heroic theme.

Captain Cape: Don't worry madam! I've got her!

NPC Mom: Ew! He's wearing tights! He's probably gay! Quick, darling, get away from him! Run deeper into the fire!

A demonic figure teleports in, encompassed by darkness and accompanied with the screams of the damned.

Dark Evisceration666: I will drink your soul, child!

NPC Mom: Thank God! Quick, grab the burning hand of the demony-looking thing with all those spikes! Don't worry about that choking brimstone smell! Or the procession of zombies who are just like the ones who ate your dad last Bloodmoon!
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    While I sort of agree that we need LESS evil grim/dark/monster/demon/bed intruder stuff, I'm not sure how we can get more 'Silver Age' stuff. Like what, capes and tights? I'd be fine with that, but hey.... not a WHOLE lot you can do.

In a single workday I could design, on paper, dozens of full tights costume sets, including chest, legs, feet, gloves, mask and cape. There is, in fact, a WHOLE lot we could do.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Biff, to be honest- I'd be more happy to see some masks that aren't 'tights over the face' and some variant 'sleek tech' clothing/gear.

Hell, I think the ONE category of costumes that has been wretchedly neglected is weapons. We need a 'Legacy Melee Weapon' and a 'Legacy Ranged Weapon' pack as well as some new additions to them- namely, the pistol that Tartrappers use and the Cyber-Ninja sword.
  • Options
    kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Another side to this is, tht I suspect many players with a large stable of toons has at least one dark type character. It is a nice change of pace to pay them once in a while. So that's going to add to the apparent number of villainy looking toons out there

After 33 toons, I finally made my first grim dark type. She's still a hero of sorts (A vampire hunter), but she's definitely not the classic silver or golden age type. And she is clad all in black with a hint of red (imagine that :P)

There's nothing wrong with that sorta thing, she's been a blast forme to play and it's a nice alternative to my squeaky clean classic hero types.

I don't want MC to be the vacation spot of choice for everyone that's just bested Satan to get outta Hell, but there's room for a few lurkers in the shadows.

perhaps all the grim dark focused players could just try ONE classic hero. Who knows they just might learn to like it. ;)

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

Biff, to be honest- I'd be more happy to see some masks that aren't 'tights over the face' and some variant 'sleek tech' clothing/gear.

Not I. Those are precisely the kind I think the game lacks.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    When I was stuck in southern California for a few years, I was told that deadly force was only justified in defense of human life, if the other party had already initiated deadly force, and if there was no reasonable escape available. You were expected to flee your own home if someone broke into it.

Wow, that goes completely against 700 years of the Magna Carta. No wonder California is in such a sorry state.
  • Options
    mrf0rz1mrf0rz1 Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Some days I swear if the NPC population of this game were like our PCs, this game would play like this:

NPC Child: Help! I'm trapped in a fire! Help!

NPC Mom: My baby! Save my baby!

Captain Cape flies in, heralded by a heroic theme.

Captain Cape: Don't worry madam! I've got her!

NPC Mom: Ew! He's wearing tights! He's probably gay! Quick, darling, get away from him! Run deeper into the fire!

A demonic figure teleports in, encompassed by darkness and accompanied with the screams of the damned.

Dark Evisceration666: I will drink your soul, child!

NPC Mom: Thank God! Quick, grab the burning hand of the demony-looking thing with all those spikes! Don't worry about that choking brimstone smell! Or the procession of zombies who are just like the ones who ate your dad last Bloodmoon!

We got a FREAKING winner right here! It's epic beyond words!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    mrf0rz1 wrote: »
    We got a FREAKING winner right here! It's epic beyond words!

Heh, agreed.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    So... if our characters don't wear tights that means they think anyone that does is gay? >.>
    towershield#4714 towershield Posts: 1,208 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So... if our characters don't wear tights that means they think anyone that does is gay? >.>

Someone's gonna take that statement seriously.

boredultramagnus_zpscf4999cf.gif

It's only a matter of time.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Someone's gonna take that statement seriously.

boredultramagnus_zpscf4999cf.gif

It's only a matter of time.

Actually I was being sarcastic (sort of). Still kind of a low blow and ironic to imply (even in jest) that someone's a homophobe (a form of prejudice) because you don't approve of how they dress (another form of prejudice).
    Sigh, pre-emptive strike before someone blows a little joke out of proportion.
    biffsig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.