test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Maintenance Thursday Morning [Complete]

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited January 2013 in Super News Network
We're going to be having a normal maintenance Thursday, 1/31/13. This will be just a server restart. Estimated start time is 7 AM, estimated end time should be 9 AM.

EDIT: Because of networking issues, maintenance was delayed. Maintenance should be done within the next hour or so.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • Options
    beldinbeldin Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I wonder why there even is a maintenance for CO at all, since we don't get patches or
    anything else new normally since over a half year.

Is the reason the same as with the Chat-Ban System, that the real reason is that there is a
    maintenance for STO and CO must also be taken down just because for the way the systems
    are linked together ? :confused:
    R607qMf.jpg
  • Options
    kenpojujitsu3kenpojujitsu3 Posts: 1,320 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the update TT. Has the log in issue been completely ironed out? I was able to log in without issue yesterday but don't want to go jumping for joy prematurely.
    Freeform Builds Directory (Last updated: 04/23/2016)
    Serving since September, 2009 / 65 Characters, 63 Level 40's
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    So, again, STO gets an actual patch (with actual patch notes).

What does CO get?

Absolutely nothing.

WHERE IS OUR DEV TEAM?!?
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    So, again, STO gets an actual patch (with actual patch notes).

What does CO get?

Absolutely nothing.

WHERE IS OUR DEV TEAM?!?

They have been "assimilated" to STO, NWO and anything else O that doesnt include CO :(
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We're going to be having a normal maintenance Thursday, 1/31/13. This will be just a server restart. Estimated start time is 7 AM, estimated end time should be 9 AM.

Hopefully this will solve the issue of the civilian eating ren cen floor outside the AH and stop the rubberbanding which cost me 4 alerts...and being able to be FC'd through MC...
  • Options
    netermestnetermest Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    beldin wrote: »
    I wonder why there even is a maintenance for CO at all, since we don't get patches or

Is the reason the same as with the Chat-Ban System, that the real reason is that there is a
    maintenance for STO and CO must also be taken down just because for the way the systems

We've been getting patches the past half-year. Heck, didn't we receive grav bikes just recently? For that matter, Reloaded with the non-prototype vehicles came out less than 3 months ago.

Though for some reason, the release/patch notes haven't been updated recently.

Also, nearly every online MMO resets semi-regularly, about once every 1-2 weeks.
  • Options
    tangent90tangent90 Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Databases require regular maintenance to make sure they run efficiently. Everything about our characters is stored in a database, and as we do things database objects are constantly being added and deleted.

I don't know the details of the CO database, but in general database indexes need to be rebuilt regularly to make sure they don't slow down. Space needs to be reclaimed from deleted objects to ensure the database files don't grow infinitely. It's a lot like defragging your hard disk.

Rebooting the server is a good idea as well, since memory leaks can be devilishly difficult to track down, and regular reboots clear out any "lost" memory allocations, TCPIP ports or any other system resources.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It's so certain OMs, Crisis Zones, and Cutscenes in the game can function properly for 4-6 hours(tops). :biggrin:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited January 2013

main?te?nance
    [meyn-tuh-nuhns] Show IPA
    noun
    the act of maintaining.
    the state of being maintained: the maintenance of friendly relations with England.
    care or upkeep, as of machinery or property: With proper maintenance the car will last for many years.
    means of upkeep, support, or subsistence; livelihood: to provide a comfortable maintenance.
    alimony or child support.
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    tangent90 wrote: »
    Databases require regular maintenance to make sure they run efficiently. Everything about our characters is stored in a database, and as we do things database objects are constantly being added and deleted.

I don't know the details of the CO database, but in general database indexes need to be rebuilt regularly to make sure they don't slow down. Space needs to be reclaimed from deleted objects to ensure the database files don't grow infinitely. It's a lot like defragging your hard disk.

Rebooting the server is a good idea as well, since memory leaks can be devilishly difficult to track down, and regular reboots clear out any "lost" memory allocations, TCPIP ports or any other system resources.
    crosschan wrote: »
    It's so certain OMs, Crisis Zones, and Cutscenes in the game can function properly for 4-6 hours(tops). :biggrin:

Haha, one and the same.... Very wise. :biggrin:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    meurikmeurik Posts: 859 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This from a recent interview of Daniel Stahl (Executive Producer, Star Trek Online);
    Massively: Some players have expressed fears that there might be a bleed-off of personnel from STO when Neverwinter launches. Can you address these concerns?

Daniel Stahl: One of the strengths of our studios is that employees can quickly and easily move between projects due to the similarities in our proprietary editing engine. That said, the teams headcounts are established for most of the fiscal year, so even if some employees went onto another project, we would immediately replace them with someone else.

Notice, no mention whatsoever about the bleed-off of personnel from Champions Online to either STO or Neverwinter. I assume there ain't very many developers left actively working on CO, since it hasn't seen any MEANINGFUL updates in over 6 months. I expect (thou I hope i'm wrong), that the same bleed-off and eventual zero-development will happen with STO after Neverwinter is launched.
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    neural: Thanks

meurik: Read the forums back when STO was about to launch. The situations were very very similiar. For the time being I suspect this is the norm repeating itself.

anybody: Are the servers back up yet? My launcher is white screening and won't load properly... :confused:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Meurik, I doubt very much that Daniel Stahl either knows or cares about the size of CO's dev team - he's in charge of STO, not CO or NWO. That's a bit like asking Dodge's lead designer about upcoming changes to the Jeep Wrangler - to swipe an English translation of a Polish proverb from Howard Tayler, "Not my circus, not my monkey."

It might be nice, however, if we could get some word from our own guys on this - TrailTurtle has been as massively infomative as he's allowed to be, but he's obviously muzzled by his higher-ups...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    lucyinspacewithdiamondslucyinspacewithdiamonds Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jennymachx wrote: »
    main?te?nance
    [meyn-tuh-nuhns] Show IPA
    noun
    the act of maintaining.
    the state of being maintained: the maintenance of friendly relations with England.
    care or upkeep, as of machinery or property: With proper maintenance the car will last for many years.
    means of upkeep, support, or subsistence; livelihood: to provide a comfortable maintenance.
    alimony or child support.

heh... Well with computers a server restart is maintenance. :) I like definition #5, though. ^_~ I saw you in game, by the way. :P
  • Options
    andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Is there a problem with the game launcher?

I can't open my launcher at all. Last time I still can open my launcher even though it was during maintenance time.
    Now, I am stuck with update launcher and then get a message saying failed to connect.
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    crosschan wrote: »
    Are the servers back up yet? My launcher is white screening and won't load properly... :confused:

......mine too:confused:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    pallihwtfpallihwtf Posts: 677 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Same here can't establish a connection to the patch server. FIX EEEEEEEEEETT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Pallih in game
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    GAAAAAAAIZZZZZZZ...I cant connect...at all..we haz teh problems...

EDIT: It would not even connect to the patch server...the little box shows up then nothing...Q_Q..TrailTurtle we need yew :3

EDIT 2: Hrrm...not sure what is going on here...I get a launcher box but it is totally blank...
  • Options
    gtw891gtw891 Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Launcher isn't coming online for me either. Glad I'm not the only one with that problem here and hope it's corrected soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yep, I'm also stuck at the tiny dialog "Trying to update the launcher" dialog instead of getting the normal updater window.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Is there a problem with the game launcher?

I can't open my launcher at all. Last time I still can open my launcher even though it was during maintenance time.
    Now, I am stuck with update launcher and then get a message saying failed to connect.

Yep. STO says they are running tests on the connection issue during the maintenance period and are supposed to end when the maintenance does.

I can't open either launcher though. :frown:

Why is it CO can't get the notification that STO does btw? :mad:

• Options
    drgmstrdrgmstr Posts: 886 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Having trouble as well. I tried to launch game through both Steam and installed program. Seems this maintenance once again fixes one bug, creates two more.

Handle: @drgmstr

"Embrace your dreams"

Come Check Out My PRIMUS Database Page!
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Unfortunately, we know the answer to this...........Daddy hates his oldest child:frown:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    ayala725ayala725 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Not sure if it was clarified, but Server Maintenance usually involves Defragmenting and Clean-up with your standard Restart after upkeep is finished. It makes things like map loading faster and server stability higher because it realigns all the data on the server's hard drives.

Even if there aren't any patches, we still all manipulate the server's data from our end as the computers interact with each other. If you don't already have a PC Tune Up or Maintenance Routine, you should look into doing that.

You could possibly make your computer run CO even better than before if you do Maintenance on your machine while they do it on theirs!

As Youthful As Life Allows.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    ayala725 wrote: »
    Not sure if it was clarified, but Server Maintenance usually involves Defragmenting and Clean-up with your standard Restart after upkeep is finished. It makes things like map loading faster and server stability higher because it realigns all the data on the server's hard drives.

Even if there aren't any patches, we still all manipulate the server's data from our end as the computers interact with each other. If you don't already have a PC Tune Up or Maintenance Routine, you should look into doing that.

You could possibly make your computer run CO even better than before if you do Maintenance on your machine while they do it on theirs!

I Agree with this.

Most of the time its not the game that is the problem, it can be your machine as well. Right now I am using this time to check my system for any updates, found one for my graphics card and taking the opportunity to make my CO experience better.

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    retcon1retcon1 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Wow, this is weird. The Launcher keeps telling me that it can't connect because I'm not connected to the internet. But then... How am I posting here? It must be magic! Super Cryptic magic that lets me post on the forums while I'm really offline! Yay!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Yep. STO says they are running tests on the connection issue during the maintenance period and are supposed to end when the maintenance does.

I can't open either launcher though. :frown:

Now that I try to launch Star Trek I see that it has the same problem. What's worse is that the STO website appears to be hosed; at least we can still get on the CO forums and whine :).
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Because yours truly just got in the office. I'm emailing the network engineers, I'll update you if I learn anything -- thanks for your patience, everyone.
  • Options
    red0beerred0beer Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Same here... =/
    -" I Don't worry about how history will judge me..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

After all, it will be written by the winners. And i am one. "

(Please don't mind my bad english, i'm Brazilian. :) )
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Because yours truly just got in the office. I'm emailing the network engineers, I'll update you if I learn anything -- thanks for your patience, everyone.

Oh yew :3

*Infuses everyone with 100% Pure Patience*

We shall wait :3
  • Options
    edited January 2013

In the mean time, anyone have any good knock knock jokes? :biggrin:

"Embrace your dreams"

• Options
    edited January 2013
    It seems that all games from Cryptic Studios are with connection issues...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited January 2013

Fair enough. Probably saying, "holy crap, not again!" :biggrin:

Might want to plan on an early morning for "the engineers are doing what" days though, maybe a big bowl of bran? Helps keep one regular. :wink:

• Options
    originalbaxteroriginalbaxter Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Knock-knock.

Who's there?

Little old lady.

Little old lady who?

Wow, I didn't know you could yodel.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    drgmstr wrote: »
    In the mean time, anyone have any good knock knock jokes? :biggrin:

Knock! Knock!......
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Knock knock,

Who's there?

Knock.

Knock who?

Knock nobody because they have 3 stacks of resistance.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    To quote the email I got from the engineers, we're having "a major network event" in Boston. Current symptoms are that the launcher does not load, at all. I'm experiencing this as well. At a guess, anyone currently logged in is going to be able to stay online, but if you log out you won't be able to get back in.

Since this was going on when we were scheduled to start maintenance, we're postponing maintenance to later in the day, after this is resolved. We've got a number of engineers working on this right now, and I'll update whenever I get more information.

(Also: I'm not sure whether this is the same issue as the launcher issues earlier. It behaves similarly, but I can't be sure it's the same.)
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    It looks like it's time for Caliga to once again save the day and get the CO launcher working again. Excuse me while I get to work!

*Starts yelling at the computer*

:confused:
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Knock, Knock!.........

Who's there?........

A CO dev.............

Hahahahahahahahahaha! That's a good one!

:biggrin:
    zrdRBy8.png
  • Options
    pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Cuz STO still has employees?
  • Options
    thunderer87thunderer87 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My launcher is working again now. Looks like the issue has been solved.

Edit: No wait, it started now, but keeps showing the "Loading. Please Wait." screen.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'll check again, but as of five minutes ago it was all offline here. (Heck, I couldn't even access the forums!)

And along with all the other weird stuff I noted before, Twitter was offline for several hours this morning, and the New York Times reports that they have been undergoing a several-month-long cyberattack by Chinese hackers, using what appear to be known military viruses. It does cause me to vaguely wonder if any of the recently-broken online systems have been inadvertently playing host to a Chinese attack bot.

And now I feel like I may have wandered into a William Gibson novel...

Update: Nope, launcher still can't connect to the patch server.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Hey TT the main page still shows the Servers are still up. I would have someone change that.
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    To quote the email I got from the engineers, we're having "a major network event" in Boston. Current symptoms are that the launcher does not load, at all. I'm experiencing this as well. At a guess, anyone currently logged in is going to be able to stay online, but if you log out you won't be able to get back in.

Since this was going on when we were scheduled to start maintenance, we're postponing maintenance to later in the day, after this is resolved. We've got a number of engineers working on this right now, and I'll update whenever I get more information.

(Also: I'm not sure whether this is the same issue as the launcher issues earlier. It behaves similarly, but I can't be sure it's the same.)

Yep, Boston is where my trace route is going to die.

perfectworldent-4.border11.bsn.pnap.net

Thanks for the update. :smile:

• Options
    retcon1retcon1 Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2013

That was a suprisingly simple and direct answer. I might have to start thinking about these people as human. Please stop that, it's very confusing.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    -Knock!Knock!!
    -"Who's there?"
    -"Trying to update the Launcher.
    Please be patient."
    -Awww.. Dammm..

=/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    edited January 2013
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'll check again, but as of five minutes ago it was all offline here. (Heck, I couldn't even access the forums!)

And along with all the other weird stuff I noted before, Twitter was offline for several hours this morning, and the New York Times reports that they have been undergoing a several-month-long cyberattack by Chinese hackers, using what appear to be known military viruses. It does cause me to vaguely wonder if any of the recently-broken online systems have been inadvertently playing host to a Chinese attack bot.

And now I feel like I may have wandered into a William Gibson novel...

Maybe it's SkyNet, trying to make us belive that this is a work frm the chineses.. =x
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    ayala725ayala725 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Thank you. Also, it seems that Account Profile Management and Editing features are having an issue. I've tried to access the Avatars page, but the 'Gateway Timeout' screen keeps popping up.

I hope it helps.

As Youthful As Life Allows.