test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Heroes of All Cities

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited January 2013 in Super News Network
Tomorrow, the Super Powered MMO genre will lose a flagship title. For over eight years, the folks at Paragon Studios and NCsoft helped run an amazing title, but they couldn?t do it alone. It also took a fanbase as loyal, friendly and welcoming as the one that truly was a City of Heroes.

Everyone who has ever played City of Heroes is a part of the story. They built the city up to its great heights every time they saved a citizen or stopped an AV ? or as rogues, sought to spread mayhem in the name of Recluse. Whether they were developers working for Cryptic Studios or for Paragon Studios at the time, playing in Atlas or just reading their favorite comics, the fans made City of Heroes, and showed everyone the world needs more heroes.

Thank you,

The Champions Online team
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is what was needed.

Good luck, CoX players.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It was the first triple A mmo. The gaming world is a little less epic without it.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    silveragefogeysilveragefogey Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hail and Farewell, super Citizens.

I hung around the City for a while... I rather enjoyed it until it seemed to get a little hard with the farming necessary for some missions.

But I'm gonna miss super stomping a whole squad of Fifth Columnists into oblivion. It was great fun... good luck, CoH team!

Grind. Grind never changes.
    If you're playing CO and reporting any bugs, you're STILL an unpaid QA technician.
    "Because we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied" - message from PW customer service.
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    It was the first triple A mmo.

No it wasn't. *cough* UO *cough*

It was however a fun place to play, 'cept for Perez Park. Hated that place. :redface:

Welcome to CO, CoX refugees. Now go forth and buy stuff. :wink:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    ringwashereringwashere Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    City of Heroes was really the first time I was able to "become" several of the heroes of my childhood imagination and in doing so, it insidiously tied itself to some of my most traveled nostalgia.

As good as it was, and as supported as it ended up being, what made that game for me was the community. It was an interesting mix of MMO folks (back before WoW blew open the doors on that party) and Comics fans that combined to form a fantastic community. The biggest proof of that, in my opinion, is the longevity of the community run events like Tanker Tuesday. I was lucky enough to be a part of that event at it's beginning in 2004 and was able to attend the last one within a few days of the game's end. The players ran it without pause all the way up to the end of the world. Not only did it survive as emcees came and went, but it flourished and expanded to multiple server communities. I've never heard of a phenomenon like it in the MMO space. Amazing accomplishment!

I'm sad that it's going away, but I am excited at the prospect of getting some of those quality people into our community here. I hope they take the bait!

Good Luck Heroes!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I has a sad to big, I cannot find a kitty sad enough to post.

Farewell, City of Heroes...

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I has a sad too big, I cannot find a kitty sad enough to post.

Farewell, City of Heroes...

/signed (with grammatical correction) ((but plenty of my own grammatical errors to make up for it))

Wondered bout getting COH for ages and when I finally thought ah I'd like to try a superhero game (even if it is an MMO) I went off to find COH and it wasn't in the shop and CO was... Funny how things go huh!
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    zandartheweeblezandartheweeble Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This.

Weeble, Life Dose, and Bushido Blue all got their start those many years ago in Atlas Park. Here's to you, Paragon City, Rhode Island.
  • Options
    valasquavalasqua Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    So long, Paragon City. You will be missed.
  • Options
    itsbrou#5396 itsbrou Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ah. It was there I made the Brou first. Simple happiness and punching. And cape radio shows. My SG was SCORPIO, and I played on Virtue. Every character I met was memorable in some way.

I can't call it the right choice to come here. It should be your choice. I hope to see some of you again.
    Brou in Cryptic games.
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'll be logged in there tonight, to watch the world end.

It's a sad day, but at least we get to say goodbye.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As we live, there is no evil that will stand. We will finish what was started, the fight of Statesman!

Welcome aboard, CoH veterans. Hope to meet ya'll, be it in Alerts, team requests in Zone or on one of many chat channels.
  • Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I can honestly express sympathy to those coming here for City of Heroes/Villains.

It sucks that you've lost your game.

It also kind of sucks you're coming to one that's gone stale with nothing new to offer, if you're coming here.

But to be honest, the only other superhero MMO is more 'pretty textures' with only a few good things.
  • Options
    gandalesgandales Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I remember Victory server with the Legion of Valor. Good times.

It is sad to see CoH being shutdown. :frown:

I hope its players can find a home here or in other game.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    No it wasn't. *cough* UO *cough*

It was however a fun place to play, 'cept for Perez Park. Hated that place. :redface:

Welcome to CO, CoX refugees. Now go forth and buy stuff. :wink:

Sorry as epic a UO is it wasnt as mass market. CoX was the game that put MMO's on the map.

I can say this without bias as UO is quite possibly my most fave game ever.

I said first Triple A mmo not first MMO XD
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ^^ how about everquest, that was years before CoX (i played it for 4 years before CoX launched, then played both for years off and on along with several others) and much bigger (in content and population) Would say the biggest one of all which everyone knows of, but cant remember if that launched before or after CoX
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Though that i'd share this.
    herosmourn.jpg
    Wearing black arm band for the soon to be gone heroes.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    faredsboltfaredsbolt Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sayanara Paragon, the MMO world would never be heroic without you.
  • Options
    deathsentry2012deathsentry2012 Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wanted to thank those of you that paid proper respect to the forerunner for superhero MMOs and a place I called home for almost 8 1/2 years straight. Right now many of us are on our home servers, getting one last view of the city, saying goodbye to friends we've made through the years and talking about what to do next.

Some, like myself, are hoping to settle into CO and as stated below, it was a great community so I hope the bulk of my comrades come here. I also hope with the influx that Cryptic will invest in this game and expand the content as that is one of the gaps I am noticing. And its more frustrating because here I can truly realize some of the heroes i was trying to make given the added customization options but I'd hate to spend money, get my toons to 40, and then have nothing to do.

But again, thank you for the acknowledgement and hope to bring as much of the old community here as possible.
    City of Heroes was really the first time I was able to "become" several of the heroes of my childhood imagination and in doing so, it insidiously tied itself to some of my most traveled nostalgia.

As good as it was, and as supported as it ended up being, what made that game for me was the community. It was an interesting mix of MMO folks (back before WoW blew open the doors on that party) and Comics fans that combined to form a fantastic community. The biggest proof of that, in my opinion, is the longevity of the community run events like Tanker Tuesday. I was lucky enough to be a part of that event at it's beginning in 2004 and was able to attend the last one within a few days of the game's end. The players ran it without pause all the way up to the end of the world. Not only did it survive as emcees came and went, but it flourished and expanded to multiple server communities. I've never heard of a phenomenon like it in the MMO space. Amazing accomplishment!

I'm sad that it's going away, but I am excited at the prospect of getting some of those quality people into our community here. I hope they take the bait!

Good Luck Heroes!
  • Options
    freakstreakfreakstreak Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's a sad day for all the superhero community.. However, someone once said : Heroes never die, they only fade away, waiting to rise again when the time comes..

A Hero's Quote :
    "You can hit me, i'll bleed.. But a wounded animal fights with more ferocity that way.."
    - Haruna Watanabe, Claws / Regeneration Scrapper.. (2005 - 2012)
    - Union Server

My heart is with the people in CoX, it's a game that didn't deserve that fate.. As being part of both games (CoX since 2005, CO since 2009), i also feel wounded and betrayed by what's happening.. I would express what i feel towards the company's decision to shut it down, but if i do, my post will be banned from the forum.. :mad:

Either way, i do hope CoX players will find a home here, or wherever they go..
    We are Heroes, this is what we do
    witchcraft.jpg

• Options
    magicdude20magicdude20 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ...You guys don't *sniff* mind if I c-cry a little, do you? I'll really miss my game, and my toons...

Thanks for this, PWE. Thanks.
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Thanks for the article! A chapter in MMO history is closing, and as too short or timely as people will wish to believe, it is still a gap in the gaming world that will take big shoes to fill.

I'm glad to have also found this community as I look forward, and hope that Champions Online will rise to the challenge. See you on the streets and skies of Millennium City!
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    bwdaresbwdares Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I had my first RP experience (MMOwise) on COH, I will miss the game as I missed the friends I had there.

I wish all those moving here to have fun. Enjoy the game, make friends, PVP and RP. I hope you can find a new home here.

Its more limited than CoX, but its the best option.

RIP Tartarus Clava-Freedom server, RIP CoX.

any devs from there please make your way to CO, FORCE YOU WAY IF YOU NEED TO!!!
    #Mechanon!(completed) #New Zones! #Foundry!
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sorry as epic a UO is it wasnt as mass market. CoX was the game that put MMO's on the map.

I can say this without bias as UO is quite possibly my most fave game ever.

I said first Triple A mmo not first MMO XD

Uhh, sorry Neph, but CoX didn't do that. CoX population never surpassed that of UO. Everquest had one of the largest North American populations. And sad to say it, but WoW is the game that put MMO's on the map, as at the time the market was considered to be at its peak since no game ever really surpassed that 250k subscribers mark in North America until WoW.

That being said, yes, I am sad to see Paragon City go. City of Heroes wasn't revolutionary or ground breaking, but it had its charm and it had its appeal, and a fanbase that was, for the most part, very thoughtful and caring. Sad some of them fell into the trap of hooting dickholes at the end of it all, and even mudslinging that occurred, but sometimes you need to be humbled to grow stronger.

I hope that people can find a new home and a place that they enjoy, and I hope that I can meet some of those people in the future.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    CoX was the first MMO I truly played for any meaningful length of time. I was able to realize many characters that I couldn't in other MMOs, and it was a refreshing break from the sword and sorcery genre of most other MMOs. I'm sorry to see it go, and am hopeful that, (even if it isn't here at CO), that CoX's players are able to find a new home where they can be happy.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Say what you will, but without CoH, I see no way we'd ever have had a CO.

All honor to you, our elder brethren, and be welcomed in Millennium City. Long may the Paragons stand!
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    ouuloysiusouuloysius Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I hope that people can find a new home and a place that they enjoy, and I hope that I can meet some of those people in the future.

Some have been closer than you think.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Uhh, sorry Neph, but CoX didn't do that. CoX population never surpassed that of UO. Everquest had one of the largest North American populations. And sad to say it, but WoW is the game that put MMO's on the map, as at the time the market was considered to be at its peak since no game ever really surpassed that 250k subscribers mark in North America until WoW.

That being said, yes, I am sad to see Paragon City go. City of Heroes wasn't revolutionary or ground breaking, but it had its charm and it had its appeal, and a fanbase that was, for the most part, very thoughtful and caring. Sad some of them fell into the trap of hooting dickholes at the end of it all, and even mudslinging that occurred, but sometimes you need to be humbled to grow stronger.

I dunno I think CoX has a bigger population than UO will be interesting looking this up ^_^

Second paragraph not sure if you like CoX or not >_>
  • Options
    arblaquearblaque Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    New Age Knight flew through the skies of Paragon one last time this morning. Should have had a massive Go. Hunt. Skulz. event. I remember when street sweeping was difficult because EVERYONE was hunting hellions and skulls. Many toons I have taken down Massive monsters of mayhem through the years. Hamidon Raids on Justice were always a blast. Face planted blasters like a true hero. I surmise Jenkins was running things at NCsoft and finally got the last laugh on the community.
    Formerly known as NewAgeKnight in the Forums of old.
  • Options
    dheffernandheffernan Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    My thoughts are on my blog: http://dennisaurus.com/2012/11/30/no-mans-land-the-fall-of-paragon-city/

The shutdown is at 3 AM my time but I'm going to try to be there for it.
  • Options
    ofarmerofarmer Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    My main character had over 3000 hours on him. I had close to 6000 total hours in that game. Heck, it played a significant part in both my marriage and my divorce. It will be sorely missed. I wish the team and players nothing but the best of luck in their future endeavours.
  • Options
    angelphoenix12angelphoenix12 Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    rest city of youve earned it. its time for new heroes to take up the fight agenst crime. lost but will never be forgotten. as i said on my last login to city of on freedom server. we made i last rally. just like willian wallce has said, "FREEDOM"

i hope now pwe understands we need champions online to get better. it has soo much potentail.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Posts: 4,375 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I dunno I think CoX has a bigger population than UO will be interesting looking this up ^_^

Second paragraph not sure if you like CoX or not >_>

I did :tongue:

UO at its peak was around 250k, the first few months of Age of Shadows, before drastically falling off. CoH at its peak was around 250k subs at launch then tapered off to 200k for a while. It was at around 175k down to about 125k during my tenure there, and was sub 100k (estimates based on financials put it around 55k active subs last I checked) before the shut down announcement.
    Champions Online player since September of 2008, forumite since February of 2008.
    Silverspar on PRIMUS
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Definitely had a blast playing. Maybe we'll see Paragon city again someday, who knows?:smile:
  • Options
    thestreakbreakerthestreakbreaker Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm a CoH refugee myself, and really appreciate posts like these and the very warm welcome my friends/family and I have received from the CO community.

I hope Cryptic is ready to shut up and take my money for a while to come. :tongue:
  • Options
    malvoumalvou Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I've been playing it again for the past 12 hours now. I'm on Freedom. Villains seem to be left out of most festivities as Atlas Park is the hangout place. I main a Villain so it sucks that he can't be there with others when it goes dark.

I hopped onto my Hero, killed Hamidon, Raided the downed Rikti mothership and then a bunch of heroes raided Recluse's Victory and took him down when he spawned. No tears at all were shed.

Then someone posted this and I couldn't stop choking up.

Goodness, I am going to miss it. My character that I transferred to here, just doesn't cut it well.

Please oh please let there be a pistol and thugs powerset sometime lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I did :tongue:

UO at its peak was around 250k, the first few months of Age of Shadows, before drastically falling off. CoH at its peak was around 250k subs at launch then tapered off to 200k for a while. It was at around 175k down to about 125k during my tenure there, and was sub 100k (estimates based on financials put it around 55k active subs last I checked) before the shut down announcement.

Do not give me new numbers I go into nerd mode :O My number fetish aside a few hours till shut down ima jumping on my alt CoX account to see the game out I hear Virtue is packed.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    My condolences, and my welcome, to those losing their gaming home. May you find here something that soothes the pain of your loss.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    zenebatos2zenebatos2 Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Well its not like i really loved the game, only played it 6 months after the launch back in the day, and man was the gameplay stiff and horrendous at times(damn GCD...).

But there was a lot of stuffs that where really good and enjoyable, and over the years they did add a real lot of interessting mecanics, powers, villains, costumes and Transformation animation(my fav feature).

But allas...it has come to an end.

farewell CoX.

it's just a shame that they din't decide to let an handfull of servers run, give admin rights to a few select players to run it, and change it to full f2P, so that people could still play it, even if there where like 10k people only...

Non-official servers rises maybe?...
  • Options
    hidingcathidingcat Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It's a sad day. I wish it could be saved, but alas, it was not to be. My heart goes out to all the CoX players, who will be losing their characters. As someone who tends to have much attachment to their characters, I can't imagine how it must feel.
  • Options
    draogndraogn Posts: 1,269 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    It is sad to see CoX go, while the combat wasn't all that exciting. The games costume editor was top notch, the travel powers were fun. There are many times I wish our teleport would work more like it did there, and of course being able to use super jump and speed to move across one of the many zones was fun that few games can rival.
  • Options
    bigblackafricabigblackafrica Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I played CoH from just after launch until the servers went offline. I have just installed Champions Online. I look forward to joining this community and attempting to recreate some of my most beloved characters.

I have not been defeated. I have just moved to another city.
  • Options
    freakstreakfreakstreak Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I played CoH from just after launch until the servers went offline. I have just installed Champions Online. I look forward to joining this community and attempting to recreate some of my most beloved characters.

None of us has, welcome to Millenium City
    witchcraft.jpg

• Options
    nero6879nero6879 Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2012

I wish I had played CoX more. I've been off and on since its release, and I regret not getting to know the community better. That said, I'm glad we have you along, and I hope to see more CoX players coming aboard. I was there the moment the servers went down. You guys were like a family right to the very end.
  • Options
    tidalwave082tidalwave082 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    All I can say is thank you. Thank you for taking a minute to acknowledge it's passing.

Tomorrow, the Super Powered MMO genre will lose a flagship title. For over eight years, the folks at Paragon Studios and NCsoft helped run an amazing title, but they couldn?t do it alone. It also took a fanbase as loyal, friendly and welcoming as the one that truly was a City of Heroes.

Everyone who has ever played City of Heroes is a part of the story. They built the city up to its great heights every time they saved a citizen or stopped an AV ? or as rogues, sought to spread mayhem in the name of Recluse. Whether they were developers working for Cryptic Studios or for Paragon Studios at the time, playing in Atlas or just reading their favorite comics, the fans made City of Heroes, and showed everyone the world needs more heroes.

Thank you,

The Champions Online team
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i saw tumerboy over on CoH last night
  • Options
    texastitan2001texastitan2001 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    There are a lot of things from CoH/V that I wish CO had.

The claw selection, The triple claw, double claw, and the way they could just pop out.
    Plant Powers
    Some of the costume parts
    The giant octopus battles. My Supergroup used to kill him once a month or week to pretend we were refilling the calamari in the superfridge.

Bye City, welcome to Champions former Heroes and Villains.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I miss Lusca.
    :frown:

Cryptic, would it be time to 'RELEASE THE KRAKEN!'
    Lemurian_Leviathan.jpg
    Next, here?s a look at an altogether different threat ? something you might expect to see when someone releases the Kraken! That someone might just be a Lemurian of note, with plans of his own for remodeling Millennium City in his own image. Will your heroes be up to the task of stopping a full-scale invasion?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,070 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    @above post: Just imagining non flying melee chars running up the tendrils of the kraken and stabbing it :P