test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Afraid to Chat....

xeyarexeyare Posts: 5 Arc User
This needs Dev attention badly and it needs it now. I'm not here trying to make demands, I'm saying it's really gotten this bad.

It's to the point where I am now turning Zone chat off completely (as in deselecting it on my chat tabs) because I'm afraid to participate in even the simplest of conversations for fear that I'll offend someone with a differing opinion and that somehow I'll end up with a 24 hour chat mute.

I should NOT have to fear another player's power to remove the Social Aspect of an MMO from my play experience for 24 hours.

Please Devs, please look into disabling this "feature" until you can come up with a better system. As it stands this is being abused, and for petty vindictive purposes.

The rest of the story: I was muted at 9:45-ish EST however I'd been AFK since about 9:30. AFK for 15 minutes THEN I get muted. This was obviously an attack on me and NOT intended use of the "report spam" feature. Although I understand just being ignored by sufficient people yields the same result. I was simply disagreeing with another player on their policy of abandoning alerts if they get teamed with a low level char. I was not alone in this but I've seen others that were on the same side as me still using chat.

I don't see how this can be working as intended at all.
Post edited by xeyare on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Were you respectful in your disagreement, or was there name-calling involved? Because if there's an argument in Zone Chat, and it devolves into two parties shouting insults back and forth, I for one am liable to put both parties on Ignore so I can watch for statements that do interest me.

If you find your disagreement with someone that strong, it might be best to go to tells, or even create a new chat to argue with them in.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    xeyare wrote: »
    I don't see how this can be working as intended at all.

It is the judgement of your peers.

For each player that places your account on ignore and for each player that reports your account as a spammer, you receive 'credit' towards a twenty-four hour chat ban. Upon hitting the magic number, you are chat banned and your accumulated credits are cleared.

You were not chat banned because you offended one player. You were chat banned because you have offended enough players since your last chat ban that you accumulated sufficient 'credits' to hit the magic number.

Welcome to Cryptic Studios.

I agree with your solution. Disable or isolate /zone and chat with your friends via custom channels, with your teammates and with your supergroup. It is important to note that this will not completely remove the chance that you'll be chat banned, but it will reduce it.

Do enjoy the game. :biggrin:

_____

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    You were not chat banned because you offended one player.

For what its worth, it doesn't require more than one player.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    For what its worth, it doesn't require more than one player.
    True enough.

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This needs Dev attention badly and it needs it now.

It needed it two years ago when this "feature" started to become an issue. By this point its become recurring issue that keeps getting brought up at the forums number. . . I lost count :tongue:

But seriously, there's a lot of threads on this issue--a LOT (Flare will probably show up at some point with his sig full of links to every thread he's started on it). And while I thoroughly agree that this system should NOT work the way it does, and that it is extremely irresponsible for a game company to delegate such a task to players and essentially hand them police powers so great not even their moderators can override them once used*, the devs have repeatedly stated that it is "working as intended" (which seriously makes me question what type of standards they use to determine how they intend something to work).

Frankly I've raged about this issue so often in the past I don't know to say anymore, and don't even have the energy for it. It sucks, it shouldn't be, and I'm sorry that you had to go through this, but I honestly don't think that they're EVER going to do anything about it.

*they actually made it so that chat bans can't be overridden, so once you get one... enjoy :rolleyes:
    While I feel for your situation, xeyare, I am afraid I have to bear bad tidings. Cryptic not only implemented the player-controlled chat ban feature, but in their infinite lack of wisdom they made it part of their game engine. Yes, they put the inmates in charge of the asylum. The "feature" is not going anywhere. I also feel for the actual devs who are handcuffed in this situation by a rank amateur decision by management and/or executives.

I been a long time leaving but I'm going to be a long time gone.

Willie Nelson

T.U.F.K.A.S. (the user formerly known as Scarlyng)
    Wrong on the CO forums since November, 2008
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Face it. You got mad, you got bitchy, you got slapped. :eek:

Deal with it and learn from it because as the devs have pointed out in the past, the system is not going away. :wink:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    All these "she was asking for it" answers make me sad. Really? Nobody deserves to be mutted by their peers, that's what GMs are for, to review the situation and handle it.

But we don't have active GMs in-game to police the chat, we are stucked with this retarded automatic system that can and will be exploited to grief "deserving" and "undeserving" players alike.

Meanwhile, at Tyria...

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    neojin777neojin777 Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Once i asked another player to stop killstealing, in pm. Instead of replying "oh yes, mate you are right. I am sorry for being another brainless selfish player that does not care at all, my bad" the guy blacklisted me after giving me the standard phrase "Lol wut".

No clue wth is wrong with people these days.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Seems like the system is working fine to me. I get ignored by other players once in a while, but I've never gotten the chat ban. It requires many folks to put someone on ignore before that chat-ban happens, and the ignores have to come in a short time frame.

Again, the solution--turning off zone chat--works wonders.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    klitty wrote: »
    All these "she was asking for it" answers make me sad. Really? Nobody deserves to be mutted by their peers, that's what GMs are for, to review the situation and handle it.

But we don't have active GMs in-game to police the chat, we are stucked with this retarded automatic system that can and will be exploited to grief "deserving" and "undeserving" players alike.

Meanwhile, at Tyria...

Pretty much this ^^^^^

Never been chat banned myself, but I know a problem when I see it. This little feature has ruined many a CC and cost CO a few players along the way too.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Face it. You got mad, you got bitchy, you got slapped. :eek:

Deal with it and learn from it because as the devs have pointed out in the past, the system is not going away. :wink:
    Actually, I never got mad. I wasn't disrepectful insomuch as I never called anyone a name, nor did I resort to profanity or even hinting at saying something untoward.

All I did was disagree with the practice of leaving an alert before it's over just because you ended up with lowbies on your team. I simply argued that in most cases smash alerts only last 2-5 minutes. I said my peace and then I go up to go make me some food. Come back 15 minutes later and I can't chat for 24 hours.

That's INSANE. (BTW I loved the Inmates Running the Asylum comment earlier, thank you for the laugh Haleakala)

But as of now I'm no longer utilizing Zone chat and after 3 years almost of playing I think it's extremely sad I have to even consider this course of action, let alone implement it. But I will not suffer not being able to talk to friends in SG chat or tells just because someone else got butthurt in Zone chat. Also, it's not hard for most people to get a couple friends to "report spam" on someone and AFAIK it only takes a few spam reports to get you muted. It's extremely childish though, I don't mind saying.

Also, I don't think it should be hard to break the code for the auto-mute system with some kind of a (null) call or some such. But knowing the fragile code of this game even a simple break like that would probably result in a server crash every time someone /ignored someone.
  • Options
    vikaernesvikaernes Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Actually, I never got mad. I wasn't disrepectful insomuch as I never called anyone a name, nor did I resort to profanity or even hinting at saying something untoward.

All I did was disagree with the practice of leaving an alert before it's over just because you ended up with lowbies on your team. I simply argued that in most cases smash alerts only last 2-5 minutes. I said my peace and then I go up to go make me some food. Come back 15 minutes later and I can't chat for 24 hours.

That's INSANE. (BTW I loved the Inmates Running the Asylum comment earlier, thank you for the laugh Haleakala)

But as of now I'm no longer utilizing Zone chat and after 3 years almost of playing I think it's extremely sad I have to even consider this course of action, let alone implement it. But I will not suffer not being able to talk to friends in SG chat or tells just because someone else got butthurt in Zone chat. Also, it's not hard for most people to get a couple friends to "report spam" on someone and AFAIK it only takes a few spam reports to get you muted. It's extremely childish though, I don't mind saying.

Also, I don't think it should be hard to break the code for the auto-mute system with some kind of a (null) call or some such. But knowing the fragile code of this game even a simple break like that would probably result in a server crash every time someone /ignored someone.

What's really insane is that you've been playing for three years and have been able to stand zone chat on all that time! I mean it's impressive really... I had to turn it off around day two or three of playing CO and have very rarely ticked it back on since. If you want to really have a good social experience in the game, roleplay, or just join a good friendly supergroup. Zone chat in CO is really just watching a bunch of people throwing buckets of stupid against a wall hoping something sticks. It's very rarely anything of value.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    vikaernes wrote: »
    What's really insane is that you've been playing for three years and have been able to stand zone chat on all that time! I mean it's impressive really... I had to turn it off around day two or three of playing CO and have very rarely ticked it back on since. If you want to really have a good social experience in the game, roleplay, or just join a good friendly supergroup. Zone chat in CO is really just watching a bunch of people throwing buckets of stupid against a wall hoping something sticks. It's very rarely anything of value.

What appeals to each one of us about our play experience varies by player. Some people enjoy the social aspect of chatting with random people over zone. Others prefer to chat in character, others still chat very little at all. Personally I tend to have zone chat turned off by default for much the same reasons you give, as well as the fact I find it hard to keep track of all the constant stream of zone plus any other channels (SG, custome channels, etc.) I may have on at the same time and it hurts my eyes (I might be ready for glasses after all these years of staring at a monitor screen... :redface:).

PS: By the way, some of the people that have reported abuse by this feature are RPers that have been silenced by anti-RP griefers. So RPing won't save you from the chat ban (and depending on who you run into might make you a target for it :wink:).
    It requires many folks to put someone on ignore before that chat-ban happens, and the ignores have to come in a short time frame.

Neither of those are true. It takes 20 ignore/report spams and they can accumulate forever. The only thing that resets the counter is actually getting a ban. Also, it is possible for one person to get someone chat-banned.

All I did was disagree with the practice of leaving an alert before it's over just because you ended up with lowbies on your team. I simply argued that in most cases smash alerts only last 2-5 minutes.

That's all it takes -- a level of maturity that tells someone, "Hey, I can grief this person for daring to disagree with me, at no consequence to myself!" This is why anyone with two active brain cells should have known that putting the power to affect other's in-game experience in the hands of the anonymous internet user was going to generate abuse.

They make me sad, too, Kitty.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    if i get muted for saying something i believe, so be it. in 24 hours there will be 20 less people that i offended that can see me, eventually it works out for the best
  • Options
    smoochansmoochan Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell

Champions Online: Be the hero you wish you could be in a better game.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies -Smackwell
    Sorry to hear this xeyare. Know that you're not alone (see the links in my sig).

I've talked to numerous devs and GMs about the issue and I get the same answer: It's not our goal to have displeased customers, but it is an issue we're not allowed to discuss.

As anyone who has experience in this issue will tell you: You don't even need to be online to be chat banned. Silver players are allowed to directly control the game experience of paying gold members. There is simply no excuse for any player to have direct control over another's game experience. It is wrong.

I am also scared to socialize outside of my circles in this game due to the extreme apathy Cryptic and PWE have shown towards the issue. People are always going to use the anonymity of the internet to be bullies, to harass, and so on. I just wish that Cryptic and PWE didn't enforce the legitimacy of this by giving them a weapon.
    ~ Flare@Lectrohm (In-Game)

voos2b.jpg
    Flare's guide to hosting and judging costume contests!
    (link under construction)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    It's too bad we can't get these people using the system to intentionally grief others prosecuted under the Cyberbullying Laws. That'd put a stop to this crap in a damn quick hurry.

My one question though is if the same person continually ignores you and then removes you and then ignores you again does this count as 1/20 or does it continue to count against you until you're muted? I mean is that why it took 15 minutes for the person to get me muted or because they were trying to convince 19 friends? If one person can repeatedly utilize the /ignore feature on someone until they're muted then this system is even worse off than I thought. Potentially even beyond repair.
  • Options
    forutnefireforutnefire Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's too bad we can't get these people using the system to intentionally grief others prosecuted under the Cyberbullying Laws. That'd put a stop to this crap in a damn quick hurry.

My one question though is if the same person continually ignores you and then removes you and then ignores you again does this count as 1/20 or does it continue to count against you until you're muted? I mean is that why it took 15 minutes for the person to get me muted or because they were trying to convince 19 friends? If one person can repeatedly utilize the /ignore feature on someone until they're muted then this system is even worse off than I thought. Potentially even beyond repair.

Yes, it is possible for one person to ignore, stop ignoring, ignore, stop ignoring, and so on until you're muted, those count to your chat-ban. I've been victimized by this method in addition to the SG with a grudge method.

It's not beyond repair though. The system itself can be completely removed. Have the ignore function simply make it so you don't see anything from the person ignored. What the deal is, is the chat channel system account wide. It effects STO players as well as CO players.

voos2b.jpg
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Sorry to hear this xeyare. Know that you're not alone (see the links in my sig).

I've talked to numerous devs and GMs about the issue and I get the same answer: It's not our goal to have displeased customers, but it is an issue we're not allowed to discuss.

As anyone who has experience in this issue will tell you: You don't even need to be online to be chat banned. Silver players are allowed to directly control the game experience of paying gold members. There is simply no excuse for any player to have direct control over another's game experience. It is wrong.

I am also scared to socialize outside of my circles in this game due to the extreme apathy Cryptic and PWE have shown towards the issue. People are always going to use the anonymity of the internet to be bullies, to harass, and so on. I just wish that Cryptic and PWE didn't enforce the legitimacy of this by giving them a weapon.

Quoted for utter truth.

And it is due to this poorly designed system that I refuse to have Zone chat even up. I'm playing a MMO, and I refuse to talk to the general masses, or see them talk to each other.

But as mentioned before: Working as intended. And it's not being removed for some reason not a single one of us can fathom.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • Options
    robingbrownrobingbrown Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This was obviously an attack on me and NOT intended use of the "report spam" feature. Although I understand just being ignored by sufficient people yields the same result.

There's a _reason_ you are getting ignored and it's not because people are 'out to get you' it's because you' ae annoying people enough to go to the effort of right click > Ignore'.

If you can't moderate yourself in chat then the sytem will do it for you.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    There's a _reason_ you are getting ignored and it's not because people are 'out to get you' it's because you' ae annoying people enough to go to the effort of right click > Ignore'.

1) You can be chatbanned while not actually in game to do something that annoys someone else.

2) One can be silenced (and people have been) for making an unpopular, yet completely appropriate chat post.

3) Chat is part of the game that people are paying (hopefully) for. A random stranger should not be allowed to take what you are paying for away from you because they feel like it.

4) It only takes one person to chat ban another.

• Options
    edited November 2012

And what about me? Was when I signed on and 2 minutes later announced only ONCE that my SG at the time was having a costume contest in zone, reason enough for me to get chat-banned?

If I ruffle someone's feathers by hosting community events that dozens of people participate in, is it fair for the 30-90 people who prepare by spending Gs or even Zen, to come out to said event that never happens because some bozo with an itchy finger thinks my character isn't cool? Or I didn't happen to have a category in this one particular contest that they felt they could participate in?

I, nor xeyare, nor anyone else should have to roll over for selfish jerks who pick a fight with us just because they can abuse the system.

So what if the system bans 1 person who deserves it, that doesn't make the system as a whole, right! I'd fathom a guess that out of every 15-20 people chat banned, 1 or 2 actually were harassing someone, or doing something worthy of the ban. Is that fair? Is that, "working as intended" as somebob quotes one of the Devs?

No, it's not. The right thing to do, is to do away with the system.

voos2b.jpg
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    Quoted for utter truth.

And it is due to this poorly designed system that I refuse to have Zone chat even up. I'm playing a MMO, and I refuse to talk to the general masses, or see them talk to each other.

But as mentioned before: Working as intended. And it's not being removed for some reason not a single one of us can fathom.

It's easy to guess at the reason, money. It would cost money to reprogram the game engine. Also, without the system, they would have to hire someone to police gold spam, at least in the games where there might actually be some, or actually hire GM's. Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I believe the system is not only unprofessional, it's downright disdainful of their customers.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    edited November 2012

The people that "deserve" it don't even need to get chat banned when simply placing them on ignore already solves the issue of the "offended" party not having to ever hear them again. This "she had it coming..." argument is nothing but a red herring.

People don't get chat banned because they had it coming. They get chat banned because of a messed up system that doesn't even need to be in place to fulfill this function people like this claim it serves. Not even the devs agree with it, since we've been told in no uncertain terms in the past that the ENTIRE reason for being of this useless system was to stamp gold spammers--not to hand out punishment to anyone that "deserves" it.

Its not up to any of us to determine whether or not someone is being "offensive" enough to "deserve" getting silenced from the entire game--specially not when they're (most likely) paying costumers like us. That's supposed to be the game MODERATOR'S job, not ours. And its not even the intended use of the system, as has been stated by the devs before.
    Perhaps someone is using the system to keep these forums in an infinite ciriclejerk about the system.
    Maybe we need a sub forum for "Chat Banned Rants"

I was banned last week, you see me complaining?
    I had a good laugh at it. Less talk, more drops.
  • Options
    yogid0nnieyogid0nnie Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    haleakala wrote: »
    It's easy to guess at the reason, money. It would cost money to reprogram the game engine. Also, without the system, they would have to hire someone to police gold spam, at least in the games where there might actually be some, or actually hire GM's. Y'know, the more I think about it, the more I believe the system is not only unprofessional, it's downright disdainful of their customers.

I don't think the reason is money. I would think this would be an easy fix. Yes, the Devs cannot take this feature out of the game engine. However, how hard would it be to raise the number of ignores before a chat ban initiated? I say raise the number of ignores to 1,000,000, that would pretty much get rid of this feature all together, unless someone poed a million people. I do not understand code, but would it be so hard to go in and change that one number in the base code?
  • Options
    hyperstrikecohhyperstrikecoh Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's part of the game engine
    The devs cannot take this feature out of the game engine

Like hell they can't! It's program code. If it was added, it can be disabled, deprecated or removed.

Note: Having NOT seen the code, I can't say how BIG an undertaking that would be. But it's not "impossible".

It may simply be that the current crop of devs simply don't have the technical skills to remove it. But that's not the same thing.

The fact is, this system can be (and is being) used to grief innocent players. Sure, some players need to, occasionally, be slapped with a bit of STFU. But this is what Ignore is for IN THE FIRST PLACE.

The fact that it can be used to nuke an offline player's ability to chat is, pardon the insensitivity of the term, retarded.

There are, essentially, ZERO controls in the game to prevent such abuses, and the in-game GM'ing here is apathetic to the point of neglect.

This is merely one more indicator that the game is on life support at this point.
  • Options
    roughbearmattachroughbearmattach Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I like the chat-ban system, because the worst trolls regularly get squelched, without relying on folks to file reports which may or may not be read by GMs.

Whoever you are, be that person one hundred percent. Don't compromise on your identity.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    LOL the devs put it in I am pretty sure they can take it out. Or are people saying Cryptic devs dont know how to program?
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    nepht wrote: »
    LOL the devs put it in I am pretty sure they can take it out. Or are people saying Cryptic devs dont know how to program?

No. We are saying that Cryptic is not going to spend any money working on it just because a handful of players do not like it.

How is that not clear? :rolleyes:

• Options
    klittyklitty Posts: 1,545 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    How do we dare, the filthy player base, to question their great code and the blessing that the chat ban system is?!?

Who are we after all? Customer? Bah! We should be grateful to be able to play this glorious game!!

*strikes evil pose*

=^ _ ^= Kitty Lives!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    How do we dare, the filthy player base, to question their great code and the blessing that the chat ban system is?!?

Who are we after all? Customer? Bah! We should be grateful to be able to play this glorious game!!

*strikes evil pose*

Says the pays-no-sub-fee-to-play LTS'er. :tongue:

• Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No. We are saying that Cryptic is not going to spend any money working on it just because a handful of players do not like it.

How is that not clear? :rolleyes:

A handfull? I think you greatly underestimate the number of people who would like rid of this system:rolleyes:

I have never been chat-banned, but even I can see the inherent wrongness of this system.
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    arimikamiarimikami Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think I was at that conversation actually and was told by someone, in zone chat, that they were putting me on ignore because I don't exit alerts if a level 6 shows up in one. I'm a little surprised someone got silenced because of it.
  • Options
    hdoggyhdoggy Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    A handfull? I think you greatly underestimate the number of people who would like rid of this system:rolleyes:

I have never been chat-banned, but even I can see the inherent wrongness of this system.
    New player that barely typed anything in-game yet here. You're right, this system IS a PoS.
  • Options
    haleakalahaleakala Posts: 449 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yogid0nnie wrote: »
    I don't think the reason is money. I would think this would be an easy fix. Yes, the Devs cannot take this feature out of the game engine. However, how hard would it be to raise the number of ignores before a chat ban initiated? I say raise the number of ignores to 1,000,000, that would pretty much get rid of this feature all together, unless someone poed a million people. I do not understand code, but would it be so hard to go in and change that one number in the base code?

Reprogramming costs being little to nothing or large, the real cost would be having to police chat in their games themselves. That's why changing the number required (which should be an easy fix) isn't going to happen either.
    No. We are saying that Cryptic is not going to spend any money working on it no matter how many players do not like it.

Neither you nor I know how many like or dislike the system, so I fixed that for you.

Willie Nelson

• Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Devs, if you can't get rid of the system because of a decision by the higher ups, can you at least amend it so that a person can only get ignored once in a twenty minute span by a single handle? This should prevent at least a little bit of the abuse.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012

Oh I have no doubt that a great number of people dislike this system, even I think it could be done better. But in the absence of any quantifiable data (can you point me to a poll on this subject?) my assertion remains. When the player base can be measured in the 1000's, 20-30 people ranting in a forum is a mere handful. You can change the words if they do not suit you but the statistics remain the same. :rolleyes:

And as several posts over the years have shown, even in this thread, some people do like the system. :wink:

Look, the system is what it is and judging from the length of time this subject has been active and the responses from Cryptic, they have neither the budget nor desire to change anything.

The solution is simple, don't make yourself a target for griefing. :smile:

• Options
    perfect0777perfect0777 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ive heard a LOT of political crap and insulting nonsense from people since Obama won the american election...why is that chat not dealt with...?
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited November 2012

If you can't moderate yourself in chat then the system will do it for you.

The people that "deserve" it don't even need to get chat banned when simply placing them on ignore already solves the issue of the "offended" party not having to ever hear them again. This "she had it coming..." argument is nothing but a red herring.

People don't get chat banned because they had it coming. They get chat banned because of a messed up system that doesn't even need to be in place to fulfill this function people like this claim it serves. Not even the devs agree with it, since we've been told in no uncertain terms in the past that the ENTIRE reason for being of this useless system was to stamp gold spammers--not to hand out punishment to anyone that "deserves" it.

Its not up to any of us to determine whether or not someone is being "offensive" enough to "deserve" getting silenced from the entire game--specially not when they're (most likely) paying costumers like us. That's supposed to be the game MODERATOR'S job, not ours. And its not even the intended use of the system, as has been stated by the devs before.

Exactly. You nailed this perfectly.

In my opinion and extensive experience, the "being judged by your peers" sentiment works ok sometimes and fails miserably other times. It fails becomes a popularity contest, people start ganging up on somebody, justified or not it's WRONG that it works that way. Even if somebody "had it coming", it doesn't justify a broken system and shame on any of you who try to defend such a system.

It does take care of some trolls sometime, but I have seen just as many people who have not done anything wrong get chat banned multiple times.

Vizzone (aka. Lee Tosi) is a good example of this, making in-character roleplaying on Zone chat, and has gotten chat suspended by it at least 3 times that I know of. Or any number of Costume Contest announcers, chat banned for simply announcing a costume contest.

This needs Dev attention badly and it needs it now. I'm not here trying to make demands, I'm saying it's really gotten this bad.

It's been asked for since... well... a long time. The most we ever got was a "we'll look into this" type of response from ShadeShooter with an offer to put Costume Contest times & locations on the official website.

It's to the point where I am now turning Zone chat off completely (as in deselecting it on my chat tabs) because I'm afraid to participate in even the simplest of conversations for fear that I'll offend someone with a differing opinion and that somehow I'll end up with a 24 hour chat mute.

That's a shame... :frown:

For the record, I regularly go through my ignore list and remove anybody who I can't remember specifically why they're on there. I only have about a dozen players on my ignore list permanently.
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ive heard a LOT of political crap and insulting nonsense from people since Obama won the american election...why is that chat not dealt with...?

Dealed by who? By us, the players? I think there's plenty of IGNORE buttons being pushed about it. We moderate the chat, but who moderates the moderators?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    themightyzeniththemightyzenith Posts: 4,599 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    And as several posts over the years have shown, even in this thread, some people do like the system. :wink:

Only a handful......:wink:
    zrdRBy8.png
    Click here to check out my costumes/milleniumguardian (MG) in-game/We need more tights, stances and moods
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Only a handful......:wink:

The handful of people who LIKE to abuse it, yes.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    yogid0nnie wrote: »
    I don't think the reason is money.
    When a question starts with, "Why don't they-- ?", the answer is almost always, "Money."
    Easy fix? Remember when the Nighthawk stuff was added, and broke things that were in no way related? Or when the devs discovered the cure to the debilitating rubber-banding in the Desert was to remove the coyotes that used to hang out near Greenskin?

Take out something that's embedded in the software already, and who knows what goes with it? Personally, I'd rather risk not being able to voice my opinion (for what it's worth, which usually ain't much) for 24 hours...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Says the pays-no-sub-fee-to-play LTS'er. :tongue:

That sentence is pretty self contradictory.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    ashensnow wrote: »
    That sentence is pretty self contradictory.

Apparently he likes to ignore the rather huge sum of money that is needed to invest in to get LTS in the first place... He's making an existential fallacy, false logic.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Oh I have no doubt that a great number of people dislike this system, even I think it could be done better. But in the absence of any quantifiable data (can you point me to a poll on this subject?) my assertion remains. When the player base can be measured in the 1000's, 20-30 people ranting in a forum is a mere handful. You can change the words if they do not suit you but the statistics remain the same. :rolleyes:

Look, the system is what it is and judging from the length of time this subject has been active and the responses from Cryptic, they have neither the budget nor desire to change anything.

The solution is simple, don't make yourself a target for griefing. :smile:

Oh hell no.

The only people who like this system are the ones who get to abuse it for their own personal gain like if someone inadvertently bumps your post to sell an item and you get them chat-banned. Or someone wants to just talk to you because they don't agree with you, and you take it as a provoked attack. How DARE they disagree with you, right?

Not having the budget is NOT the reason for their lack of action. This has been a problem since 2007 (see link #1 in signature). I would have been more than willing, ecstatic even, if they sacrificed a few of the MANY things they've released in order to focus on making the base of the game's system stronger. The desire to change or lack thereof? Yeah that's the most likely reason, too much effort for them.

But don't you dare tell me or anyone else "not to make ourselves targets". Does hosting community events make me a target? Talking with with friends in local chat about how cool the new costume set is, does that make me a target? I should be a good little player and just shut up about the system since I can't change it right? Wrong. :mad:

I've done nothing but help the community of this game and I swear I will not stop fighting this gross negligence of our rights as customers. Screw the fact that I might not change anything, at least I know what I'm doing is the right thing to do.

voos2b.jpg