test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hawkwing Jet Updates

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
As part of the update to the full-fledged vehicle update, launching tomorrow morning, we'll be updating the prototype versions of the Hawkwing Jets to be customizable. This will be an automatic upgrade to all the prototype Hawkwings out there. There will also be the Mark 2 versions of the jets, but the updated prototypes will be a little different.

We learned a lot from the prototypes, and we really appreciate everyone who was an early adopter. One of the things we learned the most about was weapon powers, and going forward, there's planned to be a maximum of four vehicle weapon powers (granted by MODs). The updated prototypes, however, will retain all of their powers -- don't worry, your jet won't have mysteriously shed a gun or two tomorrow morning. The updated prototypes will probably be the most heavily-armed vehicles around for a while.

Updated prototypes will have access to vehicle customization through the MOD system. Each updated prototype will have one Defense slot and one Support slot, which you can add MODs to for stat boosts. Because of the combination of speed-boosting MODs and server performance issues with characters covering too much ground too quickly, unfortunately we had to reduce the speed of vehicles. With a full load of speed-boosting MODs, though, you can get to pretty much the speeds of the old prototypes.

Thanks again to everyone who gave vehicles a try in their early phase, we really appreciated it. Next time you see a prototype jet unloading with a bewildering arsenal of different powers, you'll know they're a vehicle veteran!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just FYI, travel speed is the only reason I purchased a jet (two of them actually). I feel rather screwed with that aspect being nerfed retroactively. You say I can farm/spend more money on mods to get back what I thought I had already purchased? Awesome.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    You say I can farm/spend more money on mods to get back what I thought I had already purchased? Awesome.

Actually no, you can't because vehicle MOD effects don't actually stack together, so you can get -one- speed boost MOD which will amount to like a 20% increase in speed, at uh, rank 6? Maybe?

At least according to what the tutorial for vehicle MODs on PTS said last time i checked.

Snark never dies.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Let me translate

"we nerfed the speed to make you buy more stuff to go almost as fast as before!"
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited November 2012
    Actually no, you can't because vehicle MOD effects don't actually stack together, so you can get -one- speed boost MOD which will amount to like a 20% increase in speed, at uh, rank 6? Maybe?

At least according to what the tutorial for vehicle MODs on PTS said last time i checked.

Spoke with Gentleman Crush on this. The tutorial has been updated, and yes, MODs do stack.
  • reinweibritterreinweibritter Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just FYI, travel speed is the only reason I purchased a jet (two of them actually). I feel rather screwed with that aspect being nerfed retroactively. You say I can farm/spend more money on mods to get back what I thought I had already purchased? Awesome.

Ugh, Britta.
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is a little confusing. If the mods get us to "almost" the speed we're at now, why not just make our top speed that fast?
    edited November 2012
    I really don't understand why you'd want to alienate your best customers in this way, right before trying to sell us on more vehicles. Fool me once...etc.

At the very least, why can't you provide the speed mods for the early adopters so that we "almost" have what we originally paid for?
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    This is a little confusing. If the mods get us to "almost" the speed we're at now, why not just make our top speed that fast?

Because the combination of our current top speed AND the speed mods pushes it over that level. So either they have to institute a hard limit of maximum speed, or just make it so they're not quite as blazingly fast (so now just really fast instead of really really fast). Apparently they found that going too fast causes server trouble or something.

Don't really see cause for these accusations of "pulling the rug out from under you." It's a technical limitation. And it's not like they're turning into slowmobiles. They're still really fast in their own right.
  • sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Adding some customization to the prototype jets is nice, but, under the circumstances, I'm finding it pretty difficult to call it an upgrade. We (those of us who spent our hard-earned on these devices) are losing the speed which was, for me, the most attractive thing about them.

Telling us to go and fill up our mod slots with items we (a) have to grind for and (b) will not further improve our vehicles, but merely bring them back to the functionality they originally had... that's kind of a slap in the face. Quite frankly, our jets ought to have the speed mods slotted already; let players who want to swap them out for something else do that, but don't punish us for having paid you early.
  • polishlightningpolishlightning Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    drreverend wrote: »
    Because the combination of our current top speed AND the speed mods pushes it over that level. So either they have to institute a hard limit of maximum speed, or just make it so they're not quite as blazingly fast (so now just really fast instead of really really fast). Apparently they found that going too fast causes server trouble or something.

I meant why have us even mess with the prototypes. Just give us the new top speed and leave it at that. Don't give us speed slots.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Metaphorically speaking:

I am one of the first people to buy a new motorcycle. Because I was able to go faster than someone in a truck or on a bicycle, the mechanics came over to my house and took it. They stripped down all the cool parts that made me go fast. They gave me back an under-performing model of the motorcycle, and then told me I could go back to the dealership and re-purchase the parts to make my motorcycle fast again. I have to go to the dealership and play Blackjack to get these parts, however.

I'm sorry, but what part of this whole thing made any sense? Are you guys huffing glue in there?
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The official reasons for nerfing the speed was it cause problems for the server or the game if the original speed was combined with the Mods. Hence they need to reduce the speed. However, you can get Mods which will bring you back up to speed. Huh-huh? LOL come on, surely you guys can do better. Leave the jets as they are and just move on already. No one who bought the jet asked for mods slots. Alternatively, give us the slots with the mods in place already. That way we retain the speed but have the option to lower the speed in exchange for defense.
  • titotito333999titotito333999 Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Because of the combination of speed-boosting MODs and server performance issues with characters covering too much ground too quickly, unfortunately we had to reduce the speed of vehicles. With a full load of speed-boosting MODs, though, you can get to pretty much the speeds of the old prototypes.

So server performance issues are ok as long as we're buying mods with real money? If there was really an issue then ****ing don't make them go fast...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This was awesome while it lasted

No, no, I misread that originally as well. The problem arises "apparently" when the original speed is further boosted by speed mods. So as I suggested dun give mods slots and leave the original jet speed alone or give us the slots with the mods in place so we do not lose the speed overnight.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Tito, the other option was not to let people put mods on their old Hawkwing jets at all.

How well do you imagine that would have gone over?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Tito, the other option was not to let people put mods on their old Hawkwing jets at all.

Actually, the third option was to not mess with the damned speed at all. And likely the wisest.
    edited November 2012
    Actually I would be perfectly happy with my prototype jet not taking mods and having its current speed and Boost functionality. I really don't even care about the # of weapons.

• lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If there was really an issue then ****ing don't make them go fast...

Which is exactly what they did...

Those of us who have been around since beta remember when regular travel powers were actually faster than they are now. They were nerfed due to the same reason these were nerfed, the server kept crashing. What's the point of having a cool TP or vehicle if you can't play because the server's down?

So, us early adopters will be more powerful than those getting the new vehicles, huh?

I think I can live with that trade off...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited November 2012
    Actually I would be perfectly happy with my prototype jet not taking mods and having its current speed and Boost functionality. I really don't even care about the # of weapons.

I would agree with this. Some people use the jets for the speed and not as their main artillery. However, I guess to be fair, there are those who do not mind a speed cut for some defenses. So there are 2 slots, a defense and a support slot. So I assume there is a speed mod which can use either of these 2 slots which can be stacked to give us the original speed? Then can't early adopters be given these mods already so we do not lose speed.
    edited November 2012
    No, no, I misread that originally as well. The problem arises "apparently" when the original speed is further boosted by speed mods. So as I suggested dun give mods slots and leave the original jet speed alone or give us the slots with the mods in place so we do not lose the speed overnight.
    jonsills wrote: »

Ah... ok. Yeah something needs to be done for the people that payed for them, or it's "the old switcheroo" scam haha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Do these slots include Weapon Mod Slot?
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited November 2012
    lokikin wrote: »
    Which is exactly what they did...

Those of us who have been around since beta remember when regular travel powers were actually faster than they are now. They were nerfed due to the same reason these were nerfed, the server kept crashing. What's the point of having a cool TP or vehicle if you can't play because the server's down?

So, us early adopters will be more powerful than those getting the new vehicles, huh?

I think I can live with that trade off...

No offense, but you really buy that? If jets can travel at the high speed it does now and server does not crash, they why can't travel powers? Is it a matter of all characters having TP but not so many use the jets? If tat is the case, will there be a situation when more players start to buy jets then the server will start crashing?

I will give the benefit of doubt that current jet speed in combination with speed mod may be too much for the server to take because it will need to load graphics much faster but apparently, the current jet speed is a comfortable level which the server can support. As such, travel powers should therefore be able to go up to this speed. Perhaps 3 years of technology has done the server some good.

For example, flight should not have a problem reaching the speed of land travel powers like DS while DS and similar powers can go up to the speed of the jets. However, having said that, I am reluctant to fly at such high speed in enclose areas. I keep bumping into stuff with my darkspeed.
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,123 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    @TrailTurtle:

First, Thank you for the update about tomorrows patch!

Secondly,

Can you confirm if we will be able to modify the outside appearance of our vehicles?

It would be a real step backward when put up against CO's amazing costume creator, if we couldnt :frown:

If not then will/could this feature be added in the future?
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    No offense, but you really buy that?

Jup! I buy it because I was here amongst the crashes; even contributed to some I'm sure...

No experience better than first hand experience...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
    edited November 2012
    @TrailTurtle:
    Can you confirm if we will be able to modify the outside appearance of our vehicles?

Vehicles will have a number of different skins and chasses that can be used to customize appearance, plus Gold users will be able to customize their vehicle power colors. A full customization blog post will be posted within the next hour or so.

Also, I spoke further with Gentleman Crush and he clarified something rather important. It wasn't that the prototypes' speed was right on the edge, it was actually over the line. The speed decrease for vehicles was to bring them down to a safe level. Otherwise, we'd start having some real server performance issues.

Trust me, I'm a huge fan of fast travel. Now that I understand the constraints, though, I have to reluctantly agree that we needed a speed decrease.
  • kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'll take server stability over travel speed any day, thank you very much. I'd feel the same even if I did own a prototype jet.
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

edited November 2012
    It sure didn't seem like the current jet's speed was causing any crashes But if it was and we just didn't notice, shouldn't the responsibility of finding such issues lie with Cryptic before they start accepting our money for digital items like this? If it is a game-breaking issue discovered after they sold the jets, hopefully they will be willing to offer returns/refunds.

edited November 2012
    Vehicles will have a number of different skins and chasses that can be used to customize appearance, plus Gold users will be able to customize their vehicle power colors. A full customization blog post will be posted within the next hour or so.

Also, I spoke further with Gentleman Crush and he clarified something rather important. It wasn't that the prototypes' speed was right on the edge, it was actually over the line. The speed decrease for vehicles was to bring them down to a safe level. Otherwise, we'd start having some real server performance issues.

Trust me, I'm a huge fan of fast travel. Now that I understand the constraints, though, I have to reluctantly agree that we needed a speed decrease.

My telepathic senses are twitching telling me we may have to grind for customization. I hope we can get like a podium or something in the Q store which shows different models of the vehicles x). I'm dreaming again...lol.

Ah I see, sounds like a good reason, I'd rather have game playability than fast flight which breaks the server, I remember testing on the PTS when you could travel SO fast you'd have to wait for places to load up. Safety is always a good thing :). Perhaps I'll just have to grind for decent speed mods.

Thank you for your swift reply :wink:
    edited November 2012

Given, then why were they even introduced as such? You mean the devs did not realise the jets were flying as fast as they are in live compared to PTS? Or was it because there are too many of the jets that now that the servers are having problems loading graphics to all the clients? Is this in anticipation of many more players buying and using vehicles and the current servers are not able to handle? Has anyone reported crashing because of their flying around at top speed? I know I have flown around in my jet happily without any issues. TBH, it is not that big a deal to me. However, such retroactive nerf is REALLY bad business. This is not the first time it has happened. Perhaps the devs need to be more cautious and thoughtful about what they release to live.

On retrospect, just to be fair to the devs, tight schedules and limited manpower can severely hinder the devs from being able to release well-balanced and stable content for the game. Having to rush out the next money making item for the company has to be their priority but perhaps TT can feedback not to devs but management that they should be more careful or they are also jeopardizing their own playerbase.
    edited November 2012
    It sure didn't seem like the current jet's speed was causing any crashes But if it was and we just didn't notice, shouldn't the responsibility of finding such issues lie with Cryptic before they start accepting our money for digital items like this? If it really is a game-breaking issue discovered after they sold the jets, hopefully they will be willing to offer returns/refunds.

Well since they were released there have been some server issues, more than what I was used to anyway.

I still think if jets have around a base of +45 Flight Speed and Boost granted an extra +20 to Flight Speed, they'd be faster than TP's at least, but with the mods that could be obtained, I think that could be done already.
    edited November 2012
    Oh and btw TT, please tell the Devs thanks for fixing GRAB Alert Rewards :)

I got around 1k resources instead of the usual 800 resources.

I still think it should be a bit higher but a fix is a fix :)
    edited November 2012
    Just to add, I will probably still try my luck to get the grav/hoover bike when it gets released. Not so much for its artillery or speed but just because I think I have toons which will look super cool on them. Honestly, there are not much content that requires such great firepower. So perhaps a note to devs, there is really no need for so many hard hitting powers which I can see the trend with night avenger and mental power review. They are in a sense OP compared to the existing powers. Of course we can then bring up the level of the old powers but for what? Are we going to raise the level cap or difficulty of mobs?

As many pointed out, the customization of this game is a HUGE attraction.
    edited November 2012
    Just to add, I will probably still try my luck to get the grav/hoover bike when it gets released...

I was under the impression that we could just buy them from the Z-store... I really want a grav bike for my main but I hate them secret odds :frown:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    As part of the update to the full-fledged vehicle update, launching tomorrow morning, we'll be updating the prototype versions of the Hawkwing Jets to be customizable. This will be an automatic upgrade to all the prototype Hawkwings out there. There will also be the Mark 2 versions of the jets, but the updated prototypes will be a little different.

I told you in game/person I wasn't going to buy one of the jets until what would happen once the vehicle system was clarified.

EDIT- This past the last moment clarification is a bit disappointing in the extreme. Basically I didn't get the chance to make an informed decision at all, just vagueness

I'm also pretty irked that the one vehicle so far that I really liked and really wanted, bikes, aren't being released even though they're clearly ready.

This is a blatant money grab and I'm getting a little sick of being treated like a mushroom.

This isn't directed at you personally, I just want you to convey up the line that I'm spending less and less with Cryptic because of this new tack on selling us content instead of adding value to the game and doing this marketing dance in addition.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • ayonachanayonachan Posts: 557 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have provided the big numbers now you do the math...I'm lazy..
    I'd add the rank 1-8 but pts doesn't want me to transfer..(Again, Lazy am I ever!)
    edited November 2012
    I was under the impression that we could just buy them from the Z-store... I really want a grav bike for my main but I hate them secret odds :frown:

Stay tuned, I'm literally minutes from posting a "How To Get Vehicles Stuff" blog post. While the paradigm may be adjusted for Wave 2 / bikes, it's probably going to be a good signpost.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Stay tuned, I'm literally minutes from posting a "How To Get Vehicles Stuff" blog post. While the paradigm may be adjusted for Wave 2 / bikes, it's probably going to be a good signpost.

We put up with this delayed release thing with Hideouts because they were literally being worked on between releases.*

We -know- the bikes are ready, what is the deal?

Do they think we'll spend more if you tease the new shinnies?

I bought -all- of the hideouts, all of them, every one. Even ones I wasn't that keen on because I knew I did or would have a use for it someday [i was mostly right].

This time? heck no. I'm reconsidering my bike purchase as it is..

*unless of course that was a big fib.

In game as @forgemccain
    edited November 2012

Nice... Though now I feel stupid for asking to let me buy one instead of asking to put them in loot haha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh, you're still going to buy it, or the key for it at least...

lockboxes

In game as @forgemccain
  • mijjesticmijjestic Posts: 481 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    @Jet Speed

So, lesser of evils. Server health. Bring one's sacrifice to the altar. Right.

The only way I'd feel the playerbase were recompensed for the speed loss is if everyone who had the prototypes were given the maximum speed allowable for the servers for free. If you can't even do that, if they're supposed to fight and grind for it or buy more stuff, it's basically throwing salt in the wound or just saying 'my bad' and calling it a day with some dusted hands. 'Thank you for testing'? It's a product people purchased from the Z Store. No amount of words like 'testing' and 'prototypes' is going to erase that. This isn't a power choice, to nerf with such attitude - it wasn't free even in a subscription sense.

Really suggest a stronger showing of recompensing here, guys. If you made a mistake vs. the masses, throw them some more shinies so they still feel special. Two slots doesn't cut it.
    edited November 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    @Jet Speed

The only way I'd feel the playerbase were recompensed for the speed loss is if everyone who had the prototypes were given the maximum speed allowable for the servers for free. If you can't even do that, if they're supposed to fight and grind for it or buy more stuff, it's basically throwing salt in the wound or just saying 'my bad' and calling it a day with some dusted hands. 'Thank you for testing'? It's a product people purchased from the Z Store. No amount of words like 'testing' and 'prototypes' is going to erase that. This isn't a power choice, to nerf with such attitude - it wasn't free even in a subscription sense.

Really suggest a stronger showing of recompensing here, guys. If you made a mistake vs. the masses, throw them some more shinies so they still feel special. Two slots doesn't cut it.

Hear ye, hear ye.
  • gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mijjestic wrote: »
    @Jet Speed

-snip-

Nerfs happen, this one at least was made for a logical reason.

We can't get recompense for every nerf

In game as @forgemccain
    edited November 2012

I don't want compensation for every nerf. But for stuff I purchase for $15 a pop and are then retroactively made much less useful, yeah I think some compensation or at least the option for a reversal of the transaction would be a responsible business practice (at a minimum).

Is this part of the new business model?

1.) Release useful item for purchase from the Z-store for $X

2.) Sell as many as you can

3.) Nerf said item retroactively, removing any reason for having bought it -- "Oops, our bad..sorry about your luck"

4.) Repeat with new item

This is really quite an industry.

• gammabreakergammabreaker Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    It's an MMO. Nerfs happen. Buffs happen.

The travel speed thing was an issue in beta as well, from what I recall, and character travel powers were brought down. The current team of developers probably has very few of the original team, and may not have known about that old problem.

Either way, it's done. Moving on.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Based on PTS, how to get vehicles and components:

Buy a Zen only key for a new lockbox that's dropping starting tomorrow.

I do hope you can buy the 'best model' on the C-Store directly, but I'm starting to doubt it. Please tell me I'm wrong, Trailturtle.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited November 2012
    Oh, you're still going to buy it, or the key for it at least...

lockboxes

Yes I will buy one.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I still call BS.

They even give free retcons for powers, something that isn't even a specifically payed-for item out of the Z-Store.

Like the coming Imbue change.

It isn't too much to ask to have the best possible for speed when it's already been reduced even with the best possible (presumably).
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,619 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    Based on PTS, how to get vehicles and components:

Buy a Zen only key for a new lockbox that's dropping starting tomorrow.

I do hope you can buy the 'best model' on the C-Store directly, but I'm starting to doubt it. Please tell me I'm wrong, Trailturtle.

There is a direct purchase vehicle with the most mod slots (200 Drifter Salvage).

There is a chance vehicle with the most mod slots (Random Lock Box chance).

Although you can't have the more mod slot option with the vehicle look you want. That's what the problem is here.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    There is a direct purchase vehicle with the most mod slots (200 Drifter Salvage).

There is a chance vehicle with the most mod slots (Random Lock Box chance).

Although you can't have the more mod slot option with the vehicle look you want. That's what the problem is here.

That's the STO model for ships. A high end ship as a best price as a lock box, and another high ship that can be gotten via the consolation currency.