test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vehicles Launch Friday

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
We?re proud to announce that Champions Online's all-new Vehicle System will go live later this week in an exciting update ? Champions Online: Reloaded! Take flight in one of thirteen Hover Tank and Hawkwing jet variants, customized with your choice of stat boosts and weapon powers. You?ll need every advantage to fight off a flight of Destroids robots in an all-new, epic aerial mission ? Assault on UNTIL Sky Command!

Your hero is unique, and in Champions Online, your vehicle is, too. Choose one of a number of vehicle chassis variants, each with its own base stats and unique appearance. Each vehicle also comes with slots for Modifications, which grant weapon powers, stat increases and more. Many vehicles come with pre-slotted Mods, but they?re completely customizable ? for example, the shadowy Stealth Hawkwing jet can be slotted with a tank's Railgun power!

Full blog
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Dear Cryptic,

Please, please, please, please, please. There's a picture of a vehicle I want in that blog. No, it's not the Hover-Tank and also not the Grav-Bike. Picture numero 2: I want an Osprey! :redface:
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Vehicles?

Meh.

:rolleyes:
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Forgive me for not being excited, but I'm just... not excited. @_@ I played with the vehicles on PTS for about fifteen minutes, and aside from the amusement of Heavy Cannoning a mob and sending them flying, I wasn't really feelin' it. Shame that we're only getting one new thing to do, too.

Will basic vehicles be accessible for free so players can try them out before buying the full moddable vehicle? (or, even worse, having to take a crack at a lockbox or grab bag for it)

Can we expect some vehicle powers to become powers usable by normal characters? (I want the deployable heal drone and biosteel ray for gadgeteering, because being pigeonholed into a mystical or telepathic healer concept is dumb. Also, don't give players Heavy Cannon.)

Can we expect ground vehicles? Wheels on pavement? (I'd also like to see jeeps, trucks, vans and station wagons as options for non-combat team transportation, because the thought of the Champions piling into the team station wagon to go to Darren's Pizza amuses me. DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND)
  • vincyrevincyre Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    While I am skeptical of how we will be getting these, and they aren't exactly something I want, I do have to say good job on the looks. Been something the community has wanted for a WHILE, and I gotta commend cryptic on finally releasing it!
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    On top of that, future waves are gonna be released in the future! I can't wait!

I really liked a vehicle I saw that I liked!

:biggrin:
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • pwkampfykaufmannpwkampfykaufmann Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Oh, what just came to my mind: Now that vehicles, which have been demanded for so long are finally realized, you'll have to deal with people coming up with all those suggestions and ideas that were previously also said to be 'impossible', like water powers, stretching powers, a villain side and the Foundry.

You fools! You gave the people hope!
    *hisses and glides back in the shadows*
  • lokikinlokikin Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Hope? Is that what that feeling is?

I thought it was gas...
    _._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._

M-O-O-N, that spells @Rhyatt

Originally Posted by mijjestic: Ultimately, though, MMO players throwing stones at each other in this fashion is basically one nerd pointing and laughing at another nerd whose glasses are thicker.

Laws yes!
  • drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Can we change the colors on our vehicles? It says 13 variants... are these just like, Red, Black, and Blue versions of Hoverbike A counting as 3 variants, or 13 different actual designs?
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Can we expect ground vehicles? Wheels on pavement? (I'd also like to see jeeps, trucks, vans and station wagons as options for non-combat team transportation, because the thought of the Champions piling into the team station wagon to go to Darren's Pizza amuses me. DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND)

I really don't see ground vehicles as even practical for CO, given how much of the game involves areas without roads (like, oh, everywhere that's not MC or Vibora Bay). It'd be like superspeed, only you're stopped by the smallest of curbs and can't jump at all. Now I wouldn't mind seeing a cosmetic "ground mode" for some of the bikes and tanks, if that's possible.

My hope is that future additions to this include stuff like a more dieselpunk style hovercycle, or something that looks like a Harley combined with a jet engine, as well as non-technological or unusual vehicles, like flying saucers or dragons or magical flying pirate ships or so forth.

And not to sound unappreciative or anything, as this does sound interesting, but is there a number on how much these are going to cost? 'cause $15 a pop for a device that only one of my characters can use is a bit rich for my blood.
  • andromeda9899andromeda9899 Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Those vehicles are awesome and cool.
    However, I hope CRYPTIC don't forget about the main theme and core of the game.
    I hope CRYPTIC can come out with something new that can enhance a hero's power and not only for vehicles. Superhero is the main concept of the game.
    In my opinion, CRYPTIC should make superheroes much more stronger in future after releasing the vehicles. In many science fiction stories, a superhero or super villain can easily destroy entire spaceship or some huge tanks.
    Anyway, I am still happy to see new vehicles coming out.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Posts: 531 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    while i'm glad there is a lot more going into the design other than star wars, i do feel that vehicle combat doesn't really fit any of my characters with a tank or jet, which makes the new content a big pass for me. I doubt i'm the only one either. Is there anything coming down the line that isn't going to require a vehicle? And thanks to bat flight and cape flight, i can't even do the new missions since they're non combat powers. While i know there are going to be plenty of people excited about vehicles, i do feel that a lot of people are going to feel pressured into buying them even though they don't want to due to the fact they're faster, have better range, and hit harder than most normal characters.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    drreverend wrote: »
    Can we change the colors on our vehicles? It says 13 variants... are these just like, Red, Black, and Blue versions of Hoverbike A counting as 3 variants, or 13 different actual designs?

And not to sound unappreciative or anything, as this does sound interesting, but is there a number on how much these are going to cost? 'cause $15 a pop for a device that only one of my characters can use is a bit rich for my blood.

Based on PTS, there's at least 4 'core' vehicle looks (2 tanks and 2 hoverbikes, each looking vastly different), but not sure otherwise (as they cost Drifter Salvage on PTS to buy - anywhere from 70 to 200). That said, you could view their stats.

And here is the problem.

The 'cheaper' Drifter Salvage ones (there were 3 tanks up and 1 Hawkwing as of last check) have fewer weapon and mod slots than the expensive one. Because of that, I pray that the 'expensive' one is C-Store purchasable, as putting it into a grab bag (or spending $80 on Drifter Salvage) is just wrong.

Also, no prices have been mentioned anywhere officially. Drifter Salvage costs were grabbed from a PTS update a week ago (can't look now as the patcher is dead).
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • stergasterga Posts: 2,353 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    drreverend wrote: »
    I really don't see ground vehicles as even practical for CO, given how much of the game involves areas without roads (like, oh, everywhere that's not MC or Vibora Bay).

*cough*mako*cough*

Oh, sorry, had something in my throat.

Don't really care much for vehicles. I'd be more excited if those T0 buff were making it into this update. *crosses-fingers*
    YouTube - Steam - Twitter
    [at]riviania Member since Aug 2009
    edited November 2012
    sterga wrote: »
    Don't really care much for vehicles. I'd be more excited if those T0 buff were making it into this update. *crosses-fingers*

Based on PTS updates, it will.
    edited November 2012
    Whoa whoa WHOA. Hold the horses, stop the presses.

Trailturtle, we need a clarification.
    We?re proud to announce that Champions Online's all-new Vehicle System will go live later this week in an exciting update ? Champions Online: Reloaded! Take flight in one of thirteen Hover Tank and Hawkwing jet variants, customized with your choice of stat boosts and weapon powers.
    We?re planning future waves of vehicles to be released in the future, including the speedy fan-favorite grav bikes. As with the hover tanks, there will be a number of variant bikes available ? including the deadly Widow and the sleek Raptor!

Are we NOT getting the MUCH preferred Grav Bikes this Friday? Because that's how this article reads. And if so, that'll, well, stink, as everyone wants to see their hero while using one of these vehicles.
  • manwholaughsmanwholaughs Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ah so instead of giving us the option to customize the appearence of our vehicles you've just made a tedious grind out of getting a different skinned version of each vehicle, again involving real money.

You know my problem hasn't been the fact that there has been a lack of content lately, it's the way you are implementing what little content you have been adding, and you are doing it in the worst possible way by milking money out of your player base, now with added disappointment of gambling (lock boxes, they speak for themselves).

Here's an interesting example of being slapped in the face by you CRYPTIC; in Star Trek Online I created a character to have ready and waiting for when the Temporal Science Vessel went live... I was even willing to make a purchase of it from the Z-Store (which was bad enough given the lack of free ships being added to an already weak roster)... Instead you go and make it an insanely rare lock box reward... Now the same is happening in champions only this time with less reward (at least in Star Trek Online you can customize your damned vehicles appearence).

This is the last insult I am taking from the video game developement team known as "CRYPTIC", who's job was to create escapist material for people to... Well... Escape to.

Consider both games uninstalled.
  • drreverenddrreverend Posts: 534 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    sterga wrote: »
    *cough*mako*cough*

Oh, sorry, had something in my throat.

To be fair, the Mako was the most insanely rugged vehicle in galactic history and could climb 70 degree inclines and handled about as well as a real mako shark would offroad. :p
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,315 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Ah so instead of giving us the option to customize the appearence of our vehicles you've just made a tedious grind out of getting a different skinned version of each vehicle, again involving real money.

You know my problem hasn't been the fact that there has been a lack of content lately, it's the way you are implementing what little content you have been adding, and you are doing it in the worst possible way by milking money out of your player base, now with added disappointment of gambling (lock boxes, they speak for themselves).

Here's an interesting example of being slapped in the face by you CRYPTIC; in Star Trek Online I created a character to have ready and waiting for when the Temporal Science Vessel went live... I was even willing to make a purchase of it from the Z-Store (which was bad enough given the lack of free ships being added to an already weak roster)... Instead you go and make it an insanely rare lock box reward... Now the same is happening in champions only this time with less reward (at least in Star Trek Online you can customize your damned vehicles appearence).

This is the last insult I am taking from the video game developement team known as "CRYPTIC", who's job was to create escapist material for people to... Well... Escape to.

Consider both games uninstalled.
    Can I have your stuff? ;)
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • zazelbyzazelby Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    As much as I know vehicles have long been part of Superhero lore, there's something about this that turns me off. I've always liked the heroes who didn't need vehicles to get around, but now here's a mission saying "You like Superman? Well, remember all those times you saw Superman fight off a bunch of robots while flying around in his Supertank? Yes, the Supertank! That Superman uses all the time! Really, he does!"

... no, he doesn't. Nor does Green Lantern. Or Captain Marvel (any of them). Or Spider-Man. Or the Hulk. Or Iron Man. Or Wolverine. Or dozens of other superheroes I could name.

Yes, Batman has his vehicles (because he's a normal human who needs gadgets to fight larger-than-human threats), and comic companies have tried to give one-off vehicles to non-vehicle-using superheros in order to sell toys (remember the Supercar, with its goofy mechanical arms?), and some use vehicles for long-distance travel (Wonder Woman, for example, or the X-Men), but superheroes shouldn't be absolutely required to use vehicles to fight crime - or even giant robots - when they already have their own array of powers.

And since these are required for the new "vehicle" missions, this sounds more like the one-off vehicles designed to sell toys as demanded by marketing, rather than natural character growth. And I just don't care about that.

"It is unthinkable. But such is the nature of villainy, don't you think? To do the unthinkable, to challenge the impossible, to conquer all before you and make destiny your own." - Ghost Widow

And that's why I like villains.
  • wesleytansgwesleytansg Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am fine with having some vehicles and I can imagine some of my heroes on bikes. However, they are still going to be a mod of transport. As a superhero game, as many pointed out, we still like our heroes to fight rather than the vehicles to fight. I will certainly buy a hover bike more for looks than its 150ft devastating attacks. We should not get carried away with flooding the game with vehicles.
  • serendipitynowserendipitynow Posts: 554 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    oh look, more overpriced shinies and still nothing new to do, or in other words, no new content again
  • diarrea76diarrea76 Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Whatever you devs are going to do please don't breake the game again. Remember what happened with the Night Avenger. Just don't breake anything.
    edited November 2012
    oh look, more overpriced shinies and still nothing new to do, or in other words, no new content again

Indeed they are money churners but there will be the UNTIL Carrier Defense Alert that is coming up. While it will be nice to have a new zone, CS, AP, after a week or so they will be done multiple times unless they can be designed to be randomized and pieced together like a jigsaw puzzle to give new environments for play. Alerts with good mechanics can still be enjoyable. Some of the CS and even AP are not done often simply because there are not sufficient rewards to justify playing these. Whiteout has not been out that long and I have done it less than 10 times ashamed to say. However, I have done Gravitar, Warlord etc countless times. Why would I want to spend much more time in CS, AP or zones unless the benefits are equitable.

I too like to have some new content as you do. Just last night my friends who were so bored with doing alerts resorted to perks hunting in VB. However I feel the resources spent on the CSs and APs are going to waste when they could be given a new lease of life by increasing the difficulty a tinge and rewards a ton.
  • spacecatlivesspacecatlives Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I really like the looks of the gravbike, and some of the other vehicles look cool as well. Looking forward to seeing the variants.

However, the core problem still remains for long-time players (and many others, I am sure). The old leveling paths are too familiar. We need new places to visit on our gravbikes and new missions for our vehicles (more than the Carrier mission). By this I mean NEW ZONES. Or at the least new comic book series or adventure packs.

I hope the introduction of vehicles results in new revenue streams that allow the development team to make CO into all it could be: A massive universe, with players old and new, that lives on for many years.

As a suggestion: if you want to make new content that players can purchase, may I suggest a major expansion of the CO world?

I would easily pay for that, and all the fun new shinies that could accompany it.

Imagine if vehicles had been introduced with a whole new zone of vehicle-related content! Such a scenario, in my mind, offers players a real incentive to purchase vehicles, apart from their novelty.
    edited November 2012
    I really like the looks of the gravbike, and some of the other vehicles look cool as well. Looking forward to seeing the variants.

However, the core problem still remains for long-time players (and many others, I am sure). The old leveling paths are too familiar. We need new places to visit on our gravbikes and new missions for our vehicles (more than the Carrier mission). By this I mean NEW ZONES. Or at the least new comic book series or adventure packs.

I hope the introduction of vehicles results in new revenue streams that allow the development team to make CO into all it could be: A massive universe, with players old and new, that lives on for many years.

As a suggestion: if you want to make new content that players can purchase, may I suggest a major expansion of the CO world?

I would easily pay for that, and all the fun new shinies that could accompany it.

Imagine if vehicles had been introduced with a whole new zone of vehicle-related content! Such a scenario, in my mind, offers players a real incentive to purchase vehicles, apart from their novelty.

And make the new zone dynamic as opposed to static. Perhaps every 12 hours the zone changes layout randomly, types of enemies will change, mission nature changes, introduce a random cosmic as the final encounter for the zone to force more team play. This will keep things different and players to try.
  • gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I note the vehicules tutorial who says : vehicules can be obtained by Zstore, lockboxes and drifter salvage.
    Salvage is like the lockboxes, because in the PTS the vehicules are 200,130,70 salvage. The better vehicules are, of course, the more expensive in drifter salvage.
    But this isn't possible to have 200 salvage without buy grab bags or lockboxes. There is no missions who gives salvage, but some rarely event period missions, event which doesn't stay more than 7-10 days and theses missions are daily ones.
    Then without buy grab bags or lockboxes, it's impossible to have 200 salvage in a year and theses vehicules won't be possible to have.

And i see another thing, these "drifter salvage" vehicules have this description on PTS server: "This vehicule have +10% HP, +10% resistance and 10% damage than the base". Theses vehicules which requires to buy boxes or bags seems have an advantage against others vehicules.

Conclusion: This update is totally meh. Skeleton content, pay to win, op vehicules, totally focused on milking money (to create almost no new content as always).
    Cryptic PWE seems to not be able to create more content than an 10 mns alert every two months and focus totally their ressources on the store and their others games. And the worse way they can go with the store.
    The syndrome "pay to win" (if they hadn't killed the pvp already) the game becomes to have with this last update is probably the end for me and others people i know.
    Co becomes a real corean F2P game. Works as intended.
    It's a chance i'm already LTS because without this, i would stop my sub for sure, and never come back here. I can just stop to play for a long time, or reduces drastically my playtime on co, and never buy anything. And i will do this, you can be sure of that. And other co players in my family will cancel their sub to play at an another game with me.
    It's time to stop to invest money for this game and this kind of update. Because Cryptic seems can't be able to do anything else with our money.
    Seriously, the actual dev team can't be the same team who had worked on City of Heroes. It's sad to say it but this is impossible.
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    diarrea76 wrote: »
    Whatever you devs are going to do please don't breake the game again. Remember what happened with the Night Avenger. Just don't breake anything.

Points at sig.
    Agreed.
    I'm still waiting for my antenna back.
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • battybattybatsbattybattybats Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    To be honest i'm not so fussed about being able to change vehicle powers.

My main concern is for the vehicle to suit the style of my character and to suit the colours of my character.

It doesn't sound like we can change the colours or customise the appearance of the vehicle.

Which means that unless one comes out with just the right look and style and colour scheme for one of my characters the vehicles will not be very useful to me and so i wont be spending much if any money on them! And even for any that will suit it may irk me every time i see someone else in the exact same vehicle.

Now if i can change just the primary colour on the vehicle, if i can add a logo from the existing logo options (including ones i paid for) then that will be massively different and it will be much easier for me to find a vehicle to suit several of my characters.

If not then Devs please please PLEASE pay attention to the suggestions section of the forum so you can get the feedback you need to make a range of vehicles to suit the wide range of styles peoples characters have. (c'mon retro-scifi streamlined finned rocket!)
    the Volterrific Dr Cerebellum?
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    "Well, these look like intresting vehicles...I. WANT. MY. WIDOW NAOW! (Without having to summon all the lockbox keys >_>)

If they have to be for drifter we need regular missions which grant salvage. No not just daily missions. Hell, allow some missions to grant Salvage Boxes, which when opened give between 2 - 100 salvage or something like that. That way Salvage is more readily accessible to everyone instead of having to either not benefit from not having enough salvage to buy them or enough Z to get them from Z store.

But I hope it is kept in mind that heroes should be stronger than vehicles, might chars are able to rip apart VIPER tanks and resistance ones, the same goes for TK/MA chars etc.

I know that the powers have been fixed for vehicles but the lack of defense when in vehicle mode is a bit :/

Then again I guess that's what mod farming is for...
  • man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The only vehicle I wanted was the hover bike and it's coming soon just like the hideouts other rooms we are still waiting on. So I won't be buying one just now and they will get my money soon.

I also hope flying toons don't have to get a hover disc for the mission as I couldn't get my head round why a flying toon would want a aid to his ability he already has. I mean when did Sentry or Superman need a stupid hover disc to do battle with vehicles.
    The only vehicle I wanted was the hover bike and it's coming soon just like the hideouts other rooms we are still waiting on. So I won't be buying one just now and they will get my money soon.

I also hope flying toons don't have to get a hover disc for the mission as I couldn't get my head round why a flying toon would want a aid to his ability he already has. I mean when did Sentry or Superman need a stupid hover disc to do battle with vehicles.

Last time I checked it was optional, if you were a non flight capable melee toon and wanted to try your luck without flying you could. But I seriously doubt flying toons will need Hover Discs.
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Reading the whole Full blog, actually helps.
    or you can take to the skies with flight travel powers.

And i'll be waiting the Hover Bikes. Haven't made my Tank Transformer yet.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • man515drakeman515drake Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I have a question can somebody name a superhero that uses a tank?

I can name heroes that use jet bikes like Hawkeye and planes like Batman but I can't think of a hero that uses a tank. Yet Cryptic have went with a tank on the first launch of vehicles and left the jet bike on PTS.

I can understand why they haven't made ground vehicles like cars or motorbikes but not why they would make flying tanks (tanks don't fly) and not flying cars as even they are more common than flying tanks.

I can name heroes that use jet bikes like Hawkeye and planes like Batman but I can't think of a hero that uses a tank. Yet Cryptic have went with a tank on the first launch of vehicles and left the jet bike on PTS.

I can understand why they haven't made ground vehicles like cars or motorbikes but not why they would make flying tanks (tanks don't fly) and not flying cars as even they are more common than flying tanks.

I am totally sure that I remember a Spider-Man cartoon which featured The Punisher being tricked into going after Spidey. He used a tank/combat van (with remote voice control no less).
  • arnesskarnessk Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Tank Girl? (Alright maybe arguably not a superhero but she still fits under the larger umbrella, considering how many vampires and werewolves we have running around on CO -- not a complaint on my part, just making a point.)

Batmobile? Certainly if the newest movies are to be believed and even the "car" version was definitely armored and had military grade weapons.

You don't like vehicles? Don't use them. If they flop, then they flop. But you know what, don't deprive the rest of us who are going to enjoy this, alright? And who have gadgeteering or military or myriad other concepts that would use vehicles once they are available.

And if you have a flight-powered hero? Go on in the sky mish and pound the robots with your bare hands (or power armor gauntlets), Superman style. I know I'm looking forward to that with some of my characters too.
  • savetheplanetnowsavetheplanetnow Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    arnessk wrote: »
    Tank Girl?
    ...and Hulk "uses" tanks too :P

Just read the full thread and I cant believe it. There are still people whining all the time :biggrin:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=03QMYDjCef8
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm a little a concerned that the Hawkwing jet that I paid money for a few weeks ago is apparently having its flight speed nerfed with this update, both base speed and the way Boost works. Reducing travel times is really the only reason I bought it.

Cryptic, I think you need to put some thought into your policy regarding post-production nerfs to digital items that people pay cash for. When significant nerfs are necessary to items players have bought, a responsible business would offer the option of a return/refund. Otherwise, some may see it as a bait-and-switch scheme and be much more reluctant to buy items in the future.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    I'm a little a concerned that the Hawkwing jet that I paid money for a few weeks ago is apparently having its flight speed nerfed with this update, both base speed and the way Boost works. Reducing travel times is really the only reason I bought it.

Cryptic, I think you need to put some thought into your policy regarding post-production nerfs to digital items that people pay cash for. When significant nerfs are necessary to items players have bought, a responsible business would offer the option of a return/refund. Otherwise, some may see it as a bait-and-switch scheme and be much more reluctant to buy items in the future.

You can use a high rank speed mod on it... and it will be as fast as before, I tested it on the PTS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • quasimojo1quasimojo1 Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    cascadence wrote: »
    You can use a high rank speed mod on it... and it will be as fast as before, I tested it on the PTS

You're saying we can buy more gamble boxes to try to get back what we bought before (not including Boost, I assume), and then hope it doesn't get arbitrarily nerfed again? Awesome.
    LTS since 2009. Author of ACT parser module for CO. Founder of Rampagers. Resident curmudgeon.

"Without data, you're just another person with an opinion." -- W. Edwards Deming
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Keep the Carrier Defense mission up and accessible FOREVER!

BTW, you will end up using the disk because basic Travel Powers are too slow to build up between attacks to keep up with the action. Sorry.
  • rorschach988rorschach988 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I am totally sure that I remember a Spider-Man cartoon which featured The Punisher being tricked into going after Spidey. He used a tank/combat van (with remote voice control no less).
    Indeed, it was Spiderman TAS, and it was a van with remote voice control (like you said) that had various weapons inside
  • cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    quasimojo1 wrote: »
    You're saying we can buy more gamble boxes to try to get back what we bought before (not including Boost, I assume), and then hope it doesn't get arbitrarily nerfed again? Awesome.

The mods are a reward from alerts FYI... so no gambling there, heck.. you can buy the boost mods from the AH if you wish.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
    edited November 2012
    "The Batmobile. That's what you called her, ****. Heh - kind of name a kid would come up with. I upgraded her during some nasty riots a few years back. The only thing I know of that can cut through her hide isn't from this planet."

- several panels of Batman's thought balloon, during his first battle with the Mutants in Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns.

Edit: Interesting - the censor doesn't like young Master Grayson's first name...

Edit again: On reflection, what is Iron Man's armor but a man-shaped tank? By extension, most of his opponents over the years have used powered-armor suits akin to his. (It was made even more explicit with the second Titanium Man from the USSR, a dwarf who fit almost entirely within his "suit"'s chest area.) Then there's Rocket Red, over in DC...
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

• spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    On reflection, what is Iron Man's armor but a man-shaped tank? By extension, most of his opponents over the years have used powered-armor suits akin to his. (It was made even more explicit with the second Titanium Man from the USSR, a dwarf who fit almost entirely within his "suit"'s chest area.) Then there's Rocket Red, over in DC...

There's a reason I jumped at naming my PA T-34. :wink: And let's not forget Jim Rhodes's ride either.
    tumblr_moni7tHVoq1rzu2xzo1_500.gif
  • crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,583 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The reason why we are getting flying tanks because people wanted tanks more than anything for vehicles (except motorcycles) and they haven't made the physics for ground vehicles...somehow. So "flying tanks" is what we get.
  • cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    More of this 'boo-hoo, superheroes don't use vehicles' nonsense from people who've obviously learned about superheroes during the new Millennium movie surge. I look forward to using these things for fun, and I hope they make a ton of cash. For whatever reason, some people seem to think that if these tank, there will be magic oopsie money falling out the the sky at the Cryptic office as a result, and massive content will just HAPPEN. Last I checked, a failed business idea didn't mean you got more money afterward to do something different. I don't know, I'm not a doctor and I went to public school and I touched boobies when I should have been studying.

Do I want them EVERYWHERE? No. I have toons that won't use them. Am I happy they're bought with gamble scraps? No. Do I want to see superhero content? Yes. Do I want it all focused on Silver Age comics (which some ingrates seem to think is the only kind of super hero)? No.

Superheroes DO use vehicles. And they are a HUGE part of the stories at times.

Marvel: Black Knight's Atomic Steed, X-Men's Blackbird, Fantastic Four's Fantasti-Car, Guardians of the Galaxy's Freedom's Lady, The Runaway's Leapfrog, The Avengers' Quinjet, Hawkeye's Sky Bike, Ghost Rider's Hellcycle, Moon Knight's Helicopter, Punisher's Battle Van, Shield's variety of vehicles, Nextwave's Shockwave Rider. Oh, and Spider-Man's obviously pointless Spider-Car.

DC: Green Arrow's Arrowcar, Batman's Bat-vehicles, Robin's Redbird/Motorcycles, Wildcat's motorcycle, Wonder Woman's invisible jet, and multiple others. Green Lantern didn't use a vehicle. I simply remember Kyle Rayner making a PIMP spaceship/jet for everyone to ride in. Superman had the flying punch-rocket.

So, basically... most Superheroes that can't fly need vehicles. By saying that they aren't 'Superhero Content' is just as stupid as saying 'Superheroes don't use guns', 'Superheroes always wear capes', or 'Superheroes all have Secret Identities'.

When was the last time you saw Superman take out the enemy with his Supertank? I don't know, it may have happened around the time he wasn't written lazily and had something significant happen. Oh- right. The best things to happen to Superman: A WB Teenie Drama, Dying, and being allowed to work with Batman.

It's sad that this is the state of comics knowledge. No wonder the industry was dead until they made big-budget movies about superheroes. Otherwise, most people would be squealing about their Pokemans.
    edited November 2012
    And 95% of those Superhero vehicles mentioned are for transport, to move from point A to point B. Not to unleash full arsenal of Navy battle cruiser....
    But hey, all the props for getting the money flowing for the playable content. The stuff we can use our SuperheroVehicles for.
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I love tech mikes and stuff, but what about Magic animal mounts for Mages, regular earthly vehicles, such as a motorcycle? I mean not every hero is a space aged genius some of us are street Brawlers, who want our hot rods,etc.

Any of those coming out too?

Also a lot of superheroes now a days have Vehicles, I mean the power rangers where one of the oldest... I know to use them other then comic heroes.

Even new heroes in cartoons such as Ben 10, and Generator Rex have Vehicles, and even other kids shows like ninjago, and even spider man had a few vehicles, or at least the toys did, I had a spider man that floated in the water with jet ski...
    edited November 2012
    Wouldn't be too hard to code a Magical Mount Ponies for the Hover bikes, shooting rainbows from their eyes and spewing cottoncandy from mouths.
  • tfavsb10tfavsb10 Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Was thinking more like A Cybernetic-ally augmented Miniature T rex
    edited November 2012
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Wouldn't be too hard to code a Magical Mount Ponies for the Hover bikes, shooting rainbows from their eyes and spewing cottoncandy from mouths.
    I want a Cotton Candy Ray for the Dork Knight's hoverbike. It would fit his MO perfectly... :smile: