test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mega-Destroid Event Status

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited November 2012 in Super News Network
Stokeman and some of the other devs spent a chunk of today working on a fix for the Mega-Destroid de-leveling issue. Unfortunately, while we're fairly confident in the fix that was built... for something like this, "fairly confident" just isn't enough. Even though returning a player to their normal level is pretty simple when everyone is in the office, we know that your progress matters and we don't want to risk it.

Unfortunately, because of this potential for breakage, we can't re-activate the event in good conscience. I've really enjoyed the Mega-Ds and I know many of you have as well, so we're going to do everything we can to fix it and bring it back. The Mega-Destroid event will not be active for the remainder of the weekend, and I do not know when it will be reactivated or in what form. It could be later next week, it could be much further back.

We've been spitballing among ourselves about ways to bring the event back, because we really do like it when everything functions properly. Right now, though, we can't be sure that it will function properly, and so we've made the hard choice to keep it inactive. Thank you all for your patience with this, and we hope you're looking forward to its eventual return as much as we are.

If you are one of the people de-leveled by this issue, please hold tight, we're working to resolve this -- without the full complement of people in the office, a lot of our usual processes are slower or need workarounds.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the update, TT. I have a few ideas; I'll flesh them out and throw them in the Suggestions forum in the next day or so, and I'm sure others will as well.
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for keeping in touch with us all, Trailturtle. Best of luck to you on this - I know it's frustrating when things just don't work right.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jasinblazejasinblaze Posts: 1,360 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Understood, it was a fun alert, but i really don't want a bunch of level 1s in my smash alerts :wink: so glad you're being safe.
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Stokeman and some of the other devs spent a chunk of today working on a fix for the Mega-Destroid de-leveling issue. Unfortunately, while we're fairly confident in the fix that was built... for something like this, "fairly confident" just isn't enough. Even though returning a player to their normal level is pretty simple when everyone is in the office, we know that your progress matters and we don't want to risk it.

Unfortunately, because of this potential for breakage, we can't re-activate the event in good conscience. I've really enjoyed the Mega-Ds and I know many of you have as well, so we're going to do everything we can to fix it and bring it back. The Mega-Destroid event will not be active for the remainder of the weekend, and I do not know when it will be reactivated or in what form. It could be later next week, it could be much further back.

We've been spitballing among ourselves about ways to bring the event back, because we really do like it when everything functions properly. Right now, though, we can't be sure that it will function properly, and so we've made the hard choice to keep it inactive. Thank you all for your patience with this, and we hope you're looking forward to its eventual return as much as we are.

If you are one of the people de-leveled by this issue, please hold tight, we're working to resolve this -- without the full complement of people in the office, a lot of our usual processes are slower or need workarounds.

Although this is saddening news to hear, it is much appreciated to have communication rather than speculation about this event.

Perhaps introduce mini invasion squads like the PTS mobs in and around MC? Marching towards Ren Cen from all angles? The end prizes would be the same as events one but devices would depend on which champs you worked alongside (and yes I would glue myself to Sapphire:biggrin:).
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Although this is saddening news to hear, it is much appreciated to have communication rather than speculation about this event.

Perhaps introduce mini invasion squads like the PTS mobs in and around MC? Marching towards Ren Cen from all angles? The end prizes would be the same as events one but devices would depend on which champs you worked alongside (and yes I would glue myself to Sapphire:biggrin:).

How about a single, bigger Mega D? The Ultra Destroyer. It spawns in a random point in the city and terrifyingly makes it's way to Ren Cen. The players have to keep word out of it's location and draw a line in the sand. It still has it's one shot power. Once it fires it off and kills everyone, it starts walking again... Once it hits Ren Cen, everyone but the named NPCs dies and repawns to a notification of their failure.

The mapping might be hard, I don't know if they can make the entire map an open mission without it interfering with other open missions, and I can't see an easy way for it to get from Westside (probably not a good idea to have it spawn in Newbietown anyway), but hey, it's an idea.
    edited September 2012
    Has it been figured what it is that went wrong? Is it the teamup feature as was posited in another post?
  • Options
    mawaynemawayne Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you for the update! It's a fun event and I look forward to running it again soon.

In the meantime, maybe flip the Bloodmoon switch to the "on" position :wink:
    edited September 2012
    Any chance of putting the perma backups in the Q-store for those of us who missed the short window of time when the event ran or those of us for whom the RNG totally shat upon?

It's kinda sucky that just a few people will get to run around with those items. :frown:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    solardynamosolardynamo Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    With great communication like this, I have no issues sitting back and hoping for the best. I have pretty good faith things will work out in the end.

Take some earned rest, gather the troops, and hopefully Mega-D's will be back.

Kudos!
    inS6EEjxY0bBVXuqyVWD1NidpgxpduJXW5_YMzhL0zc?size=1280x960&size_mode=2
  • Options
    captgrizzcaptgrizz Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    we all appreciate the hard word, we can be a demanding but devoted audience. :)

Once I was Grizzlan, but I got promoted :tongue:
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Any chance of putting the perma backups in the Q-store for those of us who missed the short window of time when the event ran or those of us for whom the RNG totally shat upon?

It's kinda sucky that just a few people will get to run around with those items. :frown:

Oh heck no. There's ways to get the recharge of them to under a minute. Alerts are already broken and Gravitar has become a joke thanks to this. No way they can go up for sale.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Grav's become a joke? Cool - Skyfire just today leveled up to where he can queue for Grav's Alert. Maybe he can survive long enough to pick up some goodies! :biggrin:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thank you for the heads up and the forthrightness. Your efforts are appreciated.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Good to know. Thanks for the update.
    jIBJh7X.jpg
    When XP earnings during a Double-XP Weekend still feel like I'm underperforming,
    there's something terribly wrong with the reward system...

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,596 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know a lot of work has been put into it, but everyone who was effected by the level down reported it happening as soon as they used the Team Up feature. Either it happened as soon as they used it or as soon as a lowbie joined the current Team Up they were on.

Simply remove Team Up and let players SK to appropriate level the normal way.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Besides, if we really have a need to stomp any Mega-D into scrap, we know how to summon one, right guys? Thrashed three today... With help. Always with lots of help. It's more fun that way. :biggrin:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Probably Dr.D invaded cryptic server. :3

We needed some break anyway, we where so busy for bunch of events happens every week.
  • Options
    mholds1mholds1 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes, I would agree wiith a tempory Blood Moon as compensation as we know that works OK.
    Good luck with the repairs and I am enjoying the new content you guys are adding
  • Options
    xvii013xvii013 Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for always keeping us informed :smile:
    Hope the event gets fixed sooner than later :biggrin:
  • Options
    thargirthargir Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    While it is kinda sad that the event had to be put on 'hiatus', since i had tons of fun with it, i can fully understand why it happened and appreciate - as so many other around here - the excellent communication from your side, TT, as well as the work and effort the Devs are putting into this problem.

I'm looking forward to the continuation and keep my fingers crossed that the issues (especially the 1st-level downgrade) is soon resolved.

Cheers :)
    sidreussidreus Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No problem. You can push this event to next anniversary so that will give one year to resolve issues and more testing.

However that kinda left "Dr. Destroyer is Back" story in a weird spot. Maybe if you guys determined about making that thing work, Drifter Destoryer mission can be repeated(like Bloodmoon event) till problems fixed. It might feel like Dr. Destroyer testing the MC and waiting for right moment to strike.
  • Options
    kselichkselich Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    As a programmer myself, I know how frustrating debugging can be. Especially if you can't reproduce the error.

For my part, as one of those affected by the de-leveling, I'm happy to help out anyway I can in debugging this issue.

I am enjoying this event as it really is a thing of beauty to see all these heroes joining together to take down a villain that can't be done alone.

These battles feel epic and heroic like a battle no superhero can fight alone.

Thanks for the update and for the work you've been devoting to getting this event right.
  • Options
    psytce0002psytce0002 Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop.... I would rather play an event at a later time without any issues than force a fix the may create more issues than it is worth....

As long as you keep us informed with the progress on the issue I'm sure most people will not mind waiting for a good fix.....

Thanks!
  • Options
    skcarkskcark Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »
    How about a single, bigger Mega D? The Ultra Destroyer. It spawns in a random point in the city and terrifyingly makes it's way to Ren Cen. The players have to keep word out of it's location and draw a line in the sand. It still has it's one shot power. Once it fires it off and kills everyone, it starts walking again... Once it hits Ren Cen, everyone but the named NPCs dies and repawns to a notification of their failure.

The mapping might be hard, I don't know if they can make the entire map an open mission without it interfering with other open missions, and I can't see an easy way for it to get from Westside (probably not a good idea to have it spawn in Newbietown anyway), but hey, it's an idea.

I honestly think that would be too invasive for players who do not wish to participate. If anything, i'd recommend a new instance map made exclusive to host world scale events such as this, as in, a normal zone, then having a second type as the events zone, and is different to the normal zones so that way people can select which zone to use, but they'll always load into the normal zones by default
  • Options
    magamonmagamon Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    ah well kinda sucks that the event will be on hold but atless you kept us in the loop and told us what is going to happen thanks for all the work you do and hoping to see this event return soon when it is all fixed still need to work on getting my pruple Sapphire after all
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,067 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    With great communication like this, I have no issues sitting back and hoping for the best. I have pretty good faith things will work out in the end.

Take some earned rest, gather the troops, and hopefully Mega-D's will be back.

Kudos!

Hopefully the next time round UNTIL and UNITY will no longer be "furiously investigating" how to get out of the HQ doors and help us xD
  • Options
    ethanmorriganethanmorrigan Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Hopefully the next time round UNTIL and UNITY will no longer be "furiously investigating" how to get out of the HQ doors and help us xD

Indeed, they could at least send some troops to the both Mega-D's between the Champs and the UNTIL HQ.

Formerly known as Rei_Kisagi

• Options
    cybersoldier1981cybersoldier1981 Posts: 2,501 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    twg042370 wrote: »

The issue I see here is the insano super flash mob. A lot of people don't have computers equipped to process a ridiculous amount of people in one place blasting away.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    kselich wrote: »
    I am enjoying this event as it really is a thing of beauty to see all these heroes joining together to take down a villain that can't be done alone.

These battles feel epic and heroic like a battle no superhero can fight alone.

Thanks for the update and for the work you've been devoting to getting this event right.

Just want to say thanks for the update Trailturtle.

As for epic super hero battles, well it really felt that way to me. There were several times in my head I was like "Man, this is just like we are re-enacting the cover to COIE #12":tongue:

http://www.coverbrowser.com/covers/crisis-on-infinite-earths#i12
  • Options
    blumoon8blumoon8 Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for the update O' Shelled One! Disappointed as I may be, it is good to see you guys taking the initiative, even working on Saturday to ensure this could go smoothly. You guys are awesome!

I say stuff and I say things, sometimes together but only when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm @blu8 in game! :D
  • Options
    hubrixhubrix Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have to agree on the praise being given here. The slow response for the initial reports of the level 1 bug was disappointing but the fact that the event was taken down almost immediately even in the middle of the night when the second wave of reports came in was definitely points in Cryptic's favor.

And really, just being online and talking to us in chat throughout the whole thing was much appreciated.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    monaahiru wrote: »
    Probably Dr.D invaded cryptic server. :3

We needed some break anyway, we where so busy for bunch of events happens every week.

Yup. Before you know it the streets will be filled with Trick or Treaters. I'm ready. I'll be going out as a Ghost.

BOO! :eek:

See. :biggrin:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • Options
    lotar295lotar295 Posts: 903 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yup. Before you know it the streets will be filled with Trick or Treaters. I'm ready. I'll be going out as a Ghost.

BOO! :eek:

See. :biggrin:

Speaking of Halloween,I just saw the Bloodmoon agent outside the superjet shouting random urgent things about BM like always
  • Options
    sanmercisanmerci Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    lotar295 wrote: »
    Speaking of Halloween,I just saw the Bloodmoon agent outside the superjet shouting random urgent things about BM like always

That guy always makes me laugh:

"There's a Blood Moon in the sky, hero!"

"Uh... no, there isn't. It's sunny..."

"Help us fight off the hordes of Takofanes!"

"What hordes?" Looks around. "People are all chillin' in the park- what's up, dude?"
  • Options
    zedulonzedulon Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thanks for making the right call and pulling the event until critical bugs with it can be fixed.

I am quite possibly the most cynical and negative poster on these boards. But it's decisions like this one - to take responsibility for bad code, and for fixing it - that keep alive my hope for this game.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    The issue I see here is the insano super flash mob. A lot of people don't have computers equipped to process a ridiculous amount of people in one place blasting away.

It really does help to turn off the options to see other character's names, damage, etc.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    darqauradarqaura Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    jonsills wrote: »
    Grav's become a joke? Cool - Skyfire just today leveled up to where he can queue for Grav's Alert. Maybe he can survive long enough to pick up some goodies! :biggrin:

Great maybe it will take less than a 30 minutes wait for a queue for Grav to actually pop now.

EDIT: thanks to the devs for pushing it back while they fix the issue.

If there had never been a COH there would never have been a CO. :cool:
  • Options
    gaelyn1gaelyn1 Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Perhaps you can give us back the nighthawk mission which was taken back when the destroid event was arrived.
    Since nighthawk mission is the only content we had since july, and it seems it's too much difficult that an event can works correctly, we could have the feeling that we can have something in the game who last more than 3 to 7 days before disappear, as the events or alerts. No ?
  • Options
    neuraldamageneuraldamage Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    somebob wrote: »
    Oh heck no. There's ways to get the recharge of them to under a minute. Alerts are already broken and Gravitar has become a joke thanks to this. No way they can go up for sale.

So F'ing what? Grav was already a joke, and a bad one. And FINALLY noobs and idgits in Alerts are no longer a problem. Sounds like progress to me. :wink:

And I hate to tell you dude, but that cat is out of the bag, that boat has sailed, the barn door has already been left open.... Clear enough?

Let me guess, you got yours and just don't want others to have them as well eh?

Heh. Maybe one of you PTS-enabled Golds should have figured the obvious out and alerted the troops on PTS, BEFORE they got out into the wild eh? :rolleyes:

People are broken. - Lum the Mad
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    So F'ing what? Grav was already a joke, and a bad one. And FINALLY noobs and idgits in Alerts are no longer a problem. Sounds like progress to me. :wink:

And I hate to tell you dude, but that cat is out of the bag, that boat has sailed, the barn door has already been left open.... Clear enough?

Let me guess, you got yours and just don't want others to have them as well eh?

Heh. Maybe one of you PTS-enabled Golds should have figured the obvious out and alerted the troops on PTS, BEFORE they got out into the wild eh? :rolleyes:

They can still be nerfed and I'll be surprised it they aren't. Having them available on the Zen or Q store would definitely fix the inequality these things bring to the table but it still doesn't change the fact that they are incredibly broken in their current state.
  • Options
    sanguinevipersanguineviper Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited September 2012

The things we repeatedly bug report and make lengthy posts about constantly, every single time a new build with the same broken things/bugs go up on PTS, are pushed to live about 75% of the time anyways. This event, with rewards, was only tested a total of two times before it went live (technically 4, but not enough people showed up for the other two tests to even complete the OM), and only 4 or 5 people even got a perm backup on PTS.

Snark never dies.
  • Options
    aiqaaiqa Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Having these things in their current form is breaking the game. If you like a broken game, that is your choice, I am going to keep asking for changes.

I have a few of these devices, if they are added to the Q store, it is fine by me. They just need to be nerfed, then nerfed again, and after that be nerfed some more.

Besides breaking the game, it shows blatant disregard to the builds people have been making and tweaking for years.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    It's going to be hilarious if they indeed add them to the Q store. I have more than 850k refined Q on me at the moment.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Gravitar deserves whatever she gets because her rewards suck and she just isn't worth fighting.

Stylish Leather Pumps.

Metal texture only.

WHAT.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    The texture is not actually like the metal one, it is somewhere between leather and metal, more like latex.
  • Options
    zedulonzedulon Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Broken, what?

Anyone remember what Smoke Grenade did to Gravitar? That made it even easier than a dozen of the new devices.

Anyone remember Enraged? Where any flavor of the month Freeform could trivially solo any alert?

Sure, the Backup devices are broken and trivialize the bosses in the game. But compared to Smoke or Enraged... The Backup devices are small potatoes. (Don't get me wrong, they are still potatoes and need to be nerfed. But they're much smaller than other recent potatoes.)
  • Options
    gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    keikomyst wrote: »
    Gravitar deserves whatever she gets because her rewards suck and she just isn't worth fighting.

Stylish Leather Pumps.

Metal texture only.

WHAT.

Punching an air headed blonde in the face until unconscious with a group of friends is always a treat.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    zedulon wrote: »
    Broken, what?

Anyone remember what Smoke Grenade did to Gravitar? That made it even easier than a dozen of the new devices.

Anyone remember Enraged? Where any flavor of the month Freeform could trivially solo any alert?

Sure, the Backup devices are broken and trivialize the bosses in the game. But compared to Smoke or Enraged... The Backup devices are small potatoes. (Don't get me wrong, they are still potatoes and need to be nerfed. But they're much smaller than other recent potatoes.)

The only thing that was close to being this broken was the bugged unleashed rage we had after the on alert patch.

These devices enable you to kill any high end boss in a few minutes. And the builds that use them best are not in any way in danger of dying on any of the pve content in the game, have you maybe seen people not bothering to block the yellow bubble attack grav uses?
    Those builds, originally made to be hard to kill now can have two champions summoned at all times, and that way have by far the highest dps in the game, no-one comes close.

Smoke grenade was bad, but not nearly as broken as this. And enrage, that is just silly, the 'problem' with enrage was that there were ranged builds using it to do more damage then melee builds, since ranged builds now have their own toggle forms they do more damage anyway while stacking stats that are actually useful for them.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    aiqa wrote: »
    These devices enable you to kill any high end boss in a few minutes.

Not only any high end boss, but any and every high end boss past, present, AND future. 100k damage (at least), every 15 seconds, with a 33 second cooldown (at max min/maxing). And you can have five of these out at the same time.

At the utter absolute least, they need to be unaffected by cooldown modifications. Like the veteran potions of nobody uses. Problem is, that still means that players can do 500k worth of damage every 30 minutes. Which will still break everything.

These guys need to be nerfed and nerfed badly. TO EVERY SINGLE ONE IN THE WILD AS WELL. They aren't remotely on the same broken level as UR or SG. They're far, far worse.
  • Options
    trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2012
    For what it's worth, I am aware of this, and have forwarded it to the devs. We're looking at the impact.