test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

To easy

sturmwolf65sturmwolf65 Posts: 66 Arc User
edited October 2012 in Missions and Content
Why is most of the regular mission content so pathetically easy?
Even on Very Hard or Elite I can solo all my regular missions.
Missions can be Orange or Red and I have hardly a problem with it.
Is that the way CO is intended to be?
The missions I'm always looking forward to do are the 5 men team dungeons, which I solo.
Will the difficulty chance if I reach the endgame (atm my main is Lvl 35)?
Post edited by sturmwolf65 on

Comments

• Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Missions can be Orange or Red and I have hardly a problem with it.
    Is that the way CO is intended to be?
    The missions I'm always looking forward to do are the 5 men team dungeons, which I solo.
    Will the difficulty change if I reach the endgame (atm my main is Lvl 35)?

Wow...no need to be so harsh lol. The missions can be amped in difficulty..perhaps you are running a good build and this is why you find everything easy.

If you want amped difficulty, get a five man mission, on elite, get a five man team and enter the mission then leave the team try doing that.

Also yes, I am not sure but I think it's pretty difficult to solo Therakiels Temple... Once you hit higher end lairs you may change your mind. Level 40 may be a challenge to you it may not...

But difficulty does increase..that's sort of the whole point xP
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I didn't meant to be harsh.
    Maybe it just sounds that way because english isn't my native tongue.
    :wink:
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Show your build. We'll bring judgement after that.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    sorontharsoronthar Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yes, most of the content is suppose to be "soloable". We're heroes, after all, and heroes work in teams only when great evil arises.

On a side note, this game is very friendly to the casual gamer just because of that.

The difficulty Adventure Packs and Comic Series increases with the number of people in the team. Aftershock and Resistance had two different experiences for me when I soloed them and when i went with a team of 5.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You can't physically solo therakiel's. Mirrors, and such, you used to be able to with the parry bug, but they fixed that.

OP, think the game is too easy? Wait till you get to fight gravitar. :)
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012

I am an altoholic, that's why I am "only" Lvl 35 so far.
    So I not yet had met Gravitar.
    But shouldn't the difficulty settings be the tool for adjusting difficulties?:tongue:
    Not "just" some special endgame foes?
    In my opinion the difficulty should go from easy to elite.
    With easy -CO call it "normal"- should be the setting for the gimped toons to be manageable and Elite the setting for the hardcore powerbuild player.
    (Always referring to Freeform of course)
    I'm just in between.
    I don't gimp my builds, but I'm not a real numbercruncher and still worry about my characters concept and looks of the power when I choose them.
    But I'm playing on very hard or elite and I try to leave a zone when I'm about to outlevel the content (missions getting blue/green or worse).
    Missions 2 Lvl about mine are more fun to play.
    That's kind sad, because I don't think I qualify myself as an "elite level player".:confused:
    But still I want some missions that push the abilities of my character.
    Missions that are a challenge and force me to improve.
    (Ok, maybe that's kind of my sportmanship attitude I'm transferring to the game^^)

PS:
    I still have the feeling that not the endgame is my ultimate goal, but I also want the way to max level be challenging and fun to play.
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You want harder? Do this.
    1. Team with 3 or more people.
    2. Set the difficulty hard to elite.
    3. Solo the instances.

You should get many more mobs per scene with increased damage, resistance and speed.
    You'll should get more/better villian types.
    If not, then use different instances, they don't have all the same functionality.

Also team with people higher level and get their missions.
    Solo those missions though, if you don't want it to be a cake walk.
  • Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Yeah scaleable instances will definitely push the challenge level somewhat. Getting a team together and persuading them to sit back and do nothing can be a challenge in of itself I'm thinking but if you got some friends then do give em a call. If you can arrange it the Aftershock episode 3 Army of Horrors battle on 5 man elite is... a bit daunting.
    Vipers Nest, Mandragalore and Ruins of Andrith are soloable but seriously challenging, not every build can do it.
    Sigh I remember suggesting scaleable instances for more challenge on Snakebitewildlifes more challenge please thread(s).
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    How about some serious ideas guys?
    Get a team and leave it to solo the instance is no real option.
  • Options
    secksegaisecksegai Posts: 1,354 Arc User
    edited September 2012

That is a serious idea. In CoH/CoV we used to get "fillers" to ramp up the mob spawn in an instance. I used to fight instances set for teams of 5 regularly there are part of my farming for loot repertoire.

A superhero game is going to be more accessible (read easier) than your usual game.

Regular missions aren't going to push the difficulty scale, they're not meant to as they have to cater to everyone.

Try soloing the following:

The Burial Caves (Canada) - self healing goes a long way here, without it, and you'll easily get your "challenge"

Teleios Tower (Canada) - see above

Rhinoplasty (Monster Island) - This one makes even survival focused builds have to try

Viper's Nest (Monster Island) - see above

Vikorin (already forgot entrance name) - see above, though not as much as it doesn't debuff defenses like the previous two

Mandragalore (Lemuria) - The sheer amount of tough mobs one has to deal with will feel like doing a grab alert solo.

Therakiel's Temple (Vibora Bay) - It can still be solo'd but I'm not saying how ;)

It's one of the few instances where I still prefer to have a full team of capable players just for the sake of efficiency. Of course, I've watched an SG mate running an off passive solo Valerian, but said sg mate is also one of the most skilled players in the game.
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I didn't meant to be harsh.
    Maybe it just sounds that way because english isn't my native tongue.
    :wink:

You were not harsh in any way.

Something to consider is that the difficulty slider does not affect anything except instanced missions.

There is some harder content available at level 40, but not much.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    secksegai wrote: »
    That is a serious idea. In CoH/CoV we used to get "fillers" to ramp up the mob spawn in an instance. I used to fight instances set for teams of 5 regularly there are part of my farming for loot repertoire.

Try soloing the following:

The Burial Caves (Canada) - self healing goes a long way here, without it, and you'll easily get your "challenge"

Teleios Tower (Canada) - see above

Rhinoplasty (Monster Island) - This one makes even survival focused builds have to try

I don't like Fillers.
    If I want to play with other people, I team...but I don't go around begging people to "just fill in" to make up for the lack of difficulty, or the missing opportunity to raise it.

And the 3 instances above, I already solod them with my PA Character.
    With Rhinoplasty being the most fun of the 3.
  • Options
    foosnarkfoosnark Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Play with a less optimal build, or an AT.

I'm glad that the game is relatively easy with occasional moments of difficulty or many of us would have lost interest. But it is kind of too bad the difficulty settings don't do more.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I know this suggestion always meets with hostility. But i'm going to toss it out there anyhow.

If the game cant rise to your level of challenge. You always have the option reduce yourself to increase the challenge.

So, if you find the game to easy. Try a naked Lair run. Or perhaps a passive free weekend. Or something similar to ramp things up. I promise, it will make things more difficult.

Now, i'm not saying the game cant do without some harder content. I really think it needs some. But by the same token if you make a powerhouse type build that can steamroll the game like easy mode. Is it the games fault because you made the steamroller? Sure, the game gives you the tools to do so. But how you use them is up to you.

Ive just found that the entire concept of self-gimping. As a way to increase challenge. Is seen as so abhorrent and unnatural that few seem even wiling to entertain the thought of it.
  • Options
    gonzolo4584gonzolo4584 Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I know this suggestion always meets with hostility. But i'm going to toss it out there anyhow.

If the game cant rise to your level of challenge. You always have the option reduce yourself to increase the challenge.

So, if you find the game to easy. Try a naked Lair run. Or perhaps a passive free weekend. Or something similar to ramp things up. I promise, it will make things more difficult.

Now, i'm not saying the game cant do without some harder content. I really think it needs some. But by the same token if you make a powerhouse type build that can steamroll the game like easy mode. Is it the games fault because you made the steamroller? Sure, the game gives you the tools to do so. But how you use them is up to you.

Ive just found that the entire concept of self-gimping. As a way to increase challenge. Is seen as so abhorrent and unnatural that few seem even wiling to entertain the thought of it.

It is seen that way because its having to create a challenging situation artificially instead of the game itself providing it.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't like Fillers.
    If I want to play with other people, I team...but I don't go around begging people to "just fill in" to make up for the lack of difficulty, or the missing opportunity to raise it.

And the 3 instances above, I already solod them with my PA Character.
    With Rhinoplasty being the most fun of the 3.

I don't bother getting fillers here.

You're not going to get real difficulty, either the difference is minor, or grossly out of proportion. Grav is a perfect example. It takes her hitting for over 80k and casting 4k cascades up to 3 times in unison to create "difficulty".

If you can self-heal without a lengthy cd - you'll basically be throwing difficulty out the window.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    It is seen that way because its having to create a challenging situation artificially instead of the game itself providing it.

And that's the problem. You are expecting a game marketed to the masses to provide individual challenge. Something that is both difficult to do and rarely makes everyone happy.

It seems slightly unfair to put the entire onus on the game...when it by its nature has to cater to everyone. Then, by contrast, put the onus on the individual, who needs only to please themselves. and has the tools, ability, and insight to make that happen.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    And that's the problem. You are expecting a game marketed to the masses to provide individual challenge. Something that is both difficult to do and rarely makes everyone happy.

It seems slightly unfair to put the entire onus on the game...when it by its nature has to cater to everyone. Then, by contrast, put the onus on the individual, who needs only to please themselves. and has the tools, ability, and insight to make that happen.

Expecting content designed for solo play to provide solo challenge is perfectly appropriate.Thats how every game on the market (that I am aware of at least) is designed.

What is odd about this, "unfair," to put the onus on the game is that the player with a weaker character that could perhaps not handle more challenging content has just as much in the way of tools, ability, and insight available to increase their character's ability to handle more challenging content as the tougher character has to self handicap.

If it took someone spending weeks at a time in the PH or on PTS figuring out the most optimal combinations of stat, power, and specs to produce characters that trivialized the game's content...I might be inclined to agree that players who engaged in such would just have to live with a lack of content to challenge them.

But such is not the case. The game is designed to provide little or no challenge for many purely concept oriented characters. One almost has to try to purposefully create a weak character in order to find a significant challenge outside of a very few instances.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    You haven't even tried. Game's too easy but a tiny bit of effort is too much for ya?

You don't leave the team.
    Your 'team' can be getting their -sigh- on in Club Caprice, or tweaking their
    powers in the powerhouse, or playing fancy pants in the tailor.
    They don't need to follow you around or even be in the same zone, thats the beauty of it.
    All you need is there existence in the team format to amplify the difficulty of missions.

I'm guessing you just can't get a team together.

The other solution is stop going to the powerhouse every time
    get an advantage point, stop upgrading your items every time you can.
    Run with what you have available and see how far it goes.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Well, the game is scaled for archetypes anymore, as far as difficulty. So, if you want the game to be harder? Roll an AT and give that a shot. Sadly, freeform isn't really the priority in terms of challenge scaling, because of how many options you have when making one. It'd be impossible to provide a challenge for all of em.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    agentnx5agentnx5 Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You can't physically solo therakiel's. Mirrors, and such, you used to be able to with the parry bug, but they fixed that.

You still can do the mirror trick, it doesn't use parry. :wink:

Basically you make an infinite loop with a buddy and then one of the two targets the statue with a separate mirror (have to have the correct control targeting settings). But you can do Therakiel's Temple with two people, as I have often done with XTMSX.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Whoa, neat. I didn't know that! :D
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    agentnx5 wrote: »
    You still can do the mirror trick, it doesn't use parry. :wink:

Basically you make an infinite loop with a buddy and then one of the two targets the statue with a separate mirror (have to have the correct control targeting settings). But you can do Therakiel's Temple with two people, as I have often done with XTMSX.

The mirror trick requires a toon had two mirrors in device slots before the fix, otherwise it's game over.

There's still a way to solo it but it's a closely guarded secret. One that should remain that way since those who know (or at least should know) wouldn't bother using it anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm guessing you just can't get a team together.

Oh yea...you got me...I'm just to dumb to do that. [/sarcasm]

If you can't offer anything else than insulting guesses, please don't say anything at all.

I just don't like running around with a ghost team to make up for the lack of difficulty.
    It should be a part of the system to give the opportunity for a tougher challenge.
    I shouldn't have to cripple myself -like playing without items- to find a challenge while I level up.
    I'm not a powergamer, so I should be challenged without crutches like that.
  • Options
    selpheaselphea Posts: 1,229 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    There's just too broad a spectrum of users to balance for. In this thread someone is saying the game is too easy, in General Gameplay someone says the first boss is too hard.

For a challenge, apart from those already listed - soloing Vikorin, Mandragalore etc, try soloing GRAB or Harmon Labs when they get their turn on the rotation. Gravitar can be hard depending on party too.

Sadly, challenges aren't rewarding in this game so the only thing you get is Youtube/bragging rights :(
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Oh yea...you got me...I'm just to dumb to do that. [/sarcasm]

If you can't offer anything else than insulting guesses, please don't say anything at all.

I just don't like running around with a ghost team to make up for the lack of difficulty.
    It should be a part of the system to give the opportunity for a tougher challenge.
    I shouldn't have to cripple myself -like playing without items- to find a challenge while I level up.
    I'm not a powergamer, so I should be challenged without crutches like that.

If you want a challenge as other people have said roll out an AT, for maximum challenge I'd say go with a Mind AT or an Inferno, Inferno has good damage but limited survival, Mind has decent survival and healing but worst damage of all AT's

Constantly spamming Ego Sprites can only get you so far xP
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    By design and intent.
    Ah, so you are either an average freeform or a competent archetype.
    Missions can be Orange or Red and I have hardly a problem with it. Is that the way CO is intended to be?
    Yes.
    Again, average freeform or competent archetype.
    Will the difficulty chance if I reach the endgame (atm my main is Lvl 35)?
    Not especially, no.

... what gave you the idea that this was supposed to be a 'challenging' or 'difficult' game?

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    crosschancrosschan Posts: 920 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    average freeform or competent archetype.

Just wanted to dissagree with this little bit. I think what alot of people misjudge, and this will sound harsh, is the "average or competant" level of players in this game. I would argue, from PUG experience(ugh), that the average is much lower than alot of people think.

While there are people out there with toons in the 3000-4000+ DPS range with very little effort it is common to assume that an average player is somewhere in the 2000 ish DPS range. From my date in various scenarios I would suggest that the actual average player DPS is somewhere in the 800-900 DPS range....and that's if they're not dead every 15 seconds(since corpse DPS is 0 ;) ). This does not take into consideration the "John Rambo" run in, pull everything, and murder your entire team playstyles that are more common than I suspect alot of people would hope to be the case.

So no, this game is not hard for alot of us but it's a nightmare for some people. My solution....revamp the difficulty sliders to be more than simple +HP/+Dmg(there are rare places where this is already true but there needs to be more) by adapting mob AI to actually perform better on Elite and then put in a better reward system for taking on that particular challenge. Scaling gear(SL Elite Blues) is dead but a Dev told me in the past that the difficulty sliders were supposed to be a way for players, in the post On-Alert System, to be able to get the same item they would get on normal except get the next color grade up with those stats(so a Blue Paragon's Boots instead of a green one). At the very least...Make Elite increase Mod Drop Rates and give them all +1. This way the players who are struggling can enjoy their game and those who want to push themselves more can not feel like they're forced to generate artificial difficulty just to obtain a sense of challenge and a better reward system means some people would strive to be better heroes for better payoffs.

Well, that's my take on the whole thing at least. :cool:
    2s9bzbq.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    OP is just being lazy. Solutions have been presented that he can try to
    make the game more of challenge. Instead he has chosen to demand
    others to solve the problem for him.

I find no issue with challenge in the game when I don't play like a spoiled child.
    The moment I fully gear, and spend all my advantage points, sure I can face roll content, tha'ts what being fully geared and fully advantaged is all about, else it would be pointless.
  • Options
    piro2genpiro2gen Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Have you ever solo'd all 5-man missions on Elite?

Have you ever solo'd lets say Mega Destroid in MC? Most people busy with Alerts so not hard to party with MegaD alone. Or jump to PTS.

Create Nemesis with dodge (lets say Archery based) and go do Nemesis Alerts. Its a challenge. Did that (sorry to all that where 'forced' to group with me), not doing it again. Or maybe I will :p
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Because you are the leetest of the leet. At a level so far above everyone else that you can no longer see that you stride across Millennium City like a god. The other players looking up at you in fear. Kowtowing and offering up sacrifices in the hopes that you smile upon them and continue to make the sun rise every twenty minutes.
    edited September 2012
    piro2gen wrote: »
    Have you ever solo'd all 5-man missions on Elite?

Have you ever solo'd lets say Mega Destroid in MC? Most people busy with Alerts so not hard to party with MegaD alone. Or jump to PTS.

Create Nemesis with dodge (lets say Archery based) and go do Nemesis Alerts. Its a challenge. Did that (sorry to all that where 'forced' to group with me), not doing it again. Or maybe I will :p

That's kinda common place. My soldier solo's mega D. A gadgeteer nem, now that's trouble ;)
  • Options
    chuckthestarchuckthestar Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    At the end of the day, there's nothing heroic about your wolf-headed, dark aura'd bat winged demon clone having it's **** kicked by a chick in tights.

Hence, Nerf incoming. As it always has been, so it always will be.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    OP is just being lazy. Solutions have been presented that he can try to
    make the game more of challenge. Instead he has chosen to demand
    others to solve the problem for him.

As I already said, these aren't "solutions".
    Gimping myself, begging for fillers, soloing groupinstances.
    These are crutches at best.
    I'm not lazy, because these problem is not something players should have to solve, but gamedesigner.
    It's their job to scale difficulties, not mine.

twg042370 wrote: »
    Because you are the leetest of the leet. At a level so far above everyone else that you can no longer see that you stride across Millennium City like a god. The other players looking up at you in fear. Kowtowing and offering up sacrifices in the hopes that you smile upon them and continue to make the sun rise every twenty minutes.

Have you even read what I wrought?
    I called myself a mediocre player, so no need to start flaming.
  • Options
    nazacanazaca Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm not lazy, because these problem is not something players should have to solve, but gamedesigner.
    It's their job to scale difficulties, not mine.
    And they do scale the difficulties to the extent that they wish to scale them. You appear to find this scaling to be insufficient to your needs. Very well. And?

Dollar, dollar, bill, yo. Cash rules everything around you and me.
  • Options
    clcmercyclcmercy Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Wow. I wish I was so godlike. I have difficulty with the normal level mishes soloing them. Had to drop Whiteout...and before I got to the supposedly bugged part. Currently doing the first of the UNTIL arc mishes. Goiing up against VIPER and....I'm getting beat, repeatedly. Takes two-three tries to get the main guards of the stations, and I'm not even in the base yet. :( Alpha down, and I'm dreading Beta.

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    nazaca wrote: »
    And they do scale the difficulties to the extent that they wish to scale them. You appear to find this scaling to be insufficient to your needs. Very well. And?

And he is a paying customer expressing an opinion, preference really, regarding the product for which he is paying.

His OP did not attack or insult anyone (to bad the same cant be said about some of the people who responded).

Companies pay small fortunes to gather customer feedback that gives them an insight into how to retain paying customers. The OP provided exactly that sort of information.

Any number of improvements and/or changes to the game have occurred due to player feedback of the sort provided in the OP.

Those choosing to be abusive or insulting to the OP for expressing opinions and preferences for what he would like to see in game are doing CO a disservice. In some cases they are also being hypocrites of the highest order because they have made suggestions, complaints, or expressed preferences themselves.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    clcmercy wrote: »
    Wow. I wish I was so godlike. I have difficulty with the normal level mishes soloing them. Had to drop Whiteout...and before I got to the supposedly bugged part. Currently doing the first of the UNTIL arc mishes. Goiing up against VIPER and....I'm getting beat, repeatedly. Takes two-three tries to get the main guards of the stations, and I'm not even in the base yet. :( Alpha down, and I'm dreading Beta.

Viper is one of the (if not THE) hardest villainous organization in the game. Do not let it get to you if you run into problems with them.

They are pretty much the only group that is designed to fight as a group and to provide a challenge that goes beyond health and DPS.

The Tartrappers will debuff any dodge you might have and the Brickbusters will debuff your defenses and self heal. If you prioritize those (Brickbusters first) you will have an advantage.

• Options
    forrksakesexcoforrksakesexco Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    clcmercy - it will come to you with practice
    I'm guessing that you have a squishy, if you run with an Invuln or Defiant toon (+ good self heal) you will find it easier.
    I've gotten to the point where I can solo some (maybe not all) 5 man content with a Defiance, Invuln or Lightning Reflex toon.
    The challenge for me (if I want it) is to do the same things or solo the Mega D with a squishy toon.
    Profound quote.. "I'm not a complete idiot - several parts are missing."
  • Options
    neandertalianeandertalia Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited October 2012

I advise the martial artist using only attacks with dimensionnal advantages and shadow form as passive, that's my type of challenge :biggrin:

Well, on the other side, I'm not going to do a Gravitar alert with this one, I'm not that crazy :tongue:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just came Q PvP and we can sow yow hell xD
    Come SH and if your opponwnt are me, it will be endless hell. xd
  • Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,592 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The root of the problem to me isn't the difficulty of combat, but the innovation put into creating a combat situation in Champions. We need more clever bosses and environments to put them in.

The only thing I could suggest if the normal stuff in game is too hard is to set yourself up for difficult situations. Such as:

Agro as many mobs together and fight them at the same time in instances.

Fight the armies in Aftershock Issue 3 head on.

Fight the Avatars of the Kings of Edom by yourself in Aftershock Issue 6.

Take on cosmics solo. (the problem here is their dumb respawn rates)

The main thing about difficulty beyond these certain situations is that if you are taking on tasks like this and brisking through, you've pretty much built your character to be resilient. How good you are and how you play determines the true difficulty bar in this game.
  • Options
    auldwolfauldwolf Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Play missions on elite with white items, then you'll have your challenge.

The problem is grinding. People grind things like Serpent Lantern and get these absolutely crazy purple items, items with godlike stats which obviously trivialise content. But they got these from spending almost 24/7 in the game. And then they want more difficult content.

The problem is is that the majority of the player-base doesn't do that. So the way to fix this is to either add a new difficulty level (Super Elite) which makes those shiny purples about as useful as average white items, or people need to create their own difficulty and realise that their lack of difficulty is created by their grinding.

But I understand the lure of the shiny purple loot with the big numbers. So perhaps the solution isn't to make the game harder, but to introduce a Super Elite difficulty which does what I described. And then to make zones also use difficulty settings, so that you can go into a world zone instance (like Monster Island) where everything is Super Elite.

The only problem here is that we can't expect them to include items for these Super Elite world zones, so it'll be an increase in difficulty only. You could then grind Serpent Lantern for your shiny purples or whatnot, and then have your challenge in a Super Elite world zone.

That's what would fix this.

Again, the problem here is that some people have way, way, way too much time on their hands. And not everyone has purple gear with amazing avoidance, dodge, and crit numbers on them. Yes, a tiny per centage of players who put too much time into the game do, but that's not everyone.

And I'm not saying 'stuff it, deal with it' as you can read.

I'm just saying that the best solution is to include an increased difficulty level with no increased rewards. And make it work across the board.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    auldwolf wrote: »

The problem is grinding. People grind things like Serpent Lantern and get these absolutely crazy purple items, items with godlike stats which obviously trivialise content. But they got these from spending almost 24/7 in the game. And then they want more difficult content.

Actually the, "godlike," gear is attainable with casual play doing just daily UNITY missions. In less than a week, a few minutes each day, you are set.

This is not a matter of hardcore grinders spending countless hours farming for gear that trivializes the game. This is a game that can be very lacking in challenge with or without good gear, and some of the best gear is available through extremely casual play.

• Options
    auldwolfauldwolf Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    See, that's intellectually dishonest and misleading.

Let me present the problems as I see them.

UNITY missions are a nontrivial time investment.

It's not a 'few minutes.' To be frank, that's just... out there. A few minutes. Seriously? Maybe your super-powered time-travelling character can blaze through 10-15 missions in a few minutes, but that doesn't count for everyone, you realise?

A few minutes. Sheesh.

But speaking realistically, and not taking the mickey, it's a nontrivial time investment. So it's grind. And it's not casual-friendly if you have to grind it as a necessity. If you're grinding for nontrivial periods every day, then sure, you can get items very quickly. But that's not an option for everyone. If a person is playing casually, it means that they either A) have other games they want to play, or B) they have other things on their plate, like real life responsibilities.

Grinding shouldn't be a thing that's forced on people when an optional difficulty level gives you the challenge you want without ruining the game for everyone else.

UNITY missions don't happen until level 40.

So we want an increase in difficulty across the board, in missions and dungeons from level 1 to level 40, which would make the game unfun for casual players, which would be forced upon them, and your answer to their woes is for them to 'stick it out until 40' and then (as mentioned above) grind out some good gear?

I say thee nay! That's ridiculous. That's borderline villainous. This isn't City of Villains, you know. Just sayin'.

The fact of the matter is is, to say it again, the game would benefit from having an extra difficulty level. And the game would benefit from allowing players to select open world zone difficulty levels. Now, we have to accept that the devs couldn't rewrite all the rewards for those difficulty levels, so it'd just be the difficulty.

My proposal.

If you want difficulty, you can grind.

See, the way I see it is that a Super Elite difficulty could be worked into the game. This Super Elite difficulty would reduce most gear to the worth of about whites. In instances, it would have no better gear than Elite, the rewards would be capped at Elite. So you grind Elite for the very best rewards, and then you're about ready to face Super Elite. But Super Elite will still be a challenge because it gives no better rewards than Elite.

If we include rewards better than Elite, then eventually we get to the point where people like you will demand that the entire game needs to be made tougher. And we're back at square one, and talking about Super Ultra Elite.

And then Super Ultra Mega Elite.

And then Super Ultra Mega Extreme Elite.

And then Super Ultra Mega Extreme Elite Plus.

Do you see the problem?

If we cap the rewards to Elite, you get the grinding and the challenge that you desire. But at the same time this doesn't break the game for casual players. This is not an unfair proposal. If you want to play with the big boys on Super Elite, then you get the challenge. You don't get rewarded, but you do get bragging rights. You beat Teleios on Super Elite. Wow man, that was one heck of a fight!

You can put that up on Youtube to show off.

Everyone wins.

Everyone is happy.

This is the solution.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Have you read this thread before answering?
    Have you even read my very first post?
    (I'm the opener)

I don't grind for gear and ask then.
    I'm playing regular content with regular gear I get when I play throught the content.
    Most of my gear is just blue.

Of course a higher challenge level should increase the rewards in form of XP and items, but not in a gamebreaking fashion.
    And no one should be forced to play a higher difficulty.
    There should just be a POSSIBILITY to increase it for those players that want it.

And again -because I still think you haven't read- gimping myself to increase the diff is NO option.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    See, that's intellectually dishonest and misleading.

Actually no, its accurate and honest. Isulting someone for providing facts in a discussion, not even an argument, just a discussion, where their data seems to to be out of date (For example Serpent Lantern, which you mentioned specifically, has not had top of the line gear for many months).

Let me present the problems as I see them.

UNITY missions are a nontrivial time investment.

It's not a 'few minutes.'

It only takes a few minutes on my AT, and about the same on my concept dual pistols toon, and Archer. No min/maxing here, concept characters exclusively. A few minutes each.

To be frank, that's just... out there. A few minutes. Seriously? Maybe your super-powered time-travelling character can blaze through 10-15 missions in a few minutes,

Unity dailies do not consist of 10-15 missions, so what are you talking about ?

but that doesn't count for everyone, you realise?

A few minutes. Sheesh.

Yes a few minutes. Then again I was talking about UNITY dailies. Since you are talking about 10-15 mission chains, which is not at all something that was included in my point, I have no idea what you are talking about.

But speaking realistically, and not taking the mickey, it's a nontrivial time investment. So it's grind.

That is completely subjective.

And it's not casual-friendly if you have to grind it as a necessity.

Again subjective, but then again its not a necessity.

If you're grinding for nontrivial periods every day, then sure, you can get items very quickly. But that's not an option for everyone. If a person is playing casually, it means that they either A) have other games they want to play, or B) they have other things on their plate, like real life responsibilities.

Yeah, I have another game, a wife, a job, and outside responsibilities. But a few minutes a day isnt really that much of a time investment for something you dont need.

Grinding shouldn't be a thing that's forced on people when an optional difficulty level gives you the challenge you want without ruining the game for everyone else.

Who said otherwise ?

UNITY missions don't happen until level 40.

So we want an increase in difficulty across the board, in missions and dungeons from level 1 to level 40,

We do ? First Ive heard of this. Why quote me if you are going to put words in my mouth ? Strawman is strawman.

which would make the game unfun for casual players, which would be forced upon them, and your answer to their woes is for them to 'stick it out until 40' and then (as mentioned above) grind out some good gear?

I say thee nay! That's ridiculous. That's borderline villainous. This isn't City of Villains, you know. Just sayin'.

The fact of the matter is is, to say it again, the game would benefit from having an extra difficulty level. And the game would benefit from allowing players to select open world zone difficulty levels. Now, we have to accept that the devs couldn't rewrite all the rewards for those difficulty levels, so it'd just be the difficulty.

My proposal.

If you want difficulty, you can grind.

See, the way I see it is that a Super Elite difficulty could be worked into the game. This Super Elite difficulty would reduce most gear to the worth of about whites. In instances, it would have no better gear than Elite, the rewards would be capped at Elite. So you grind Elite for the very best rewards, and then you're about ready to face Super Elite. But Super Elite will still be a challenge because it gives no better rewards than Elite.

If we include rewards better than Elite, then eventually we get to the point where people like you will demand that the entire game needs to be made tougher. And we're back at square one, and talking about Super Ultra Elite.

And then Super Ultra Mega Elite.

And then Super Ultra Mega Extreme Elite.

And then Super Ultra Mega Extreme Elite Plus.

Do you see the problem?

If we cap the rewards to Elite, you get the grinding and the challenge that you desire. But at the same time this doesn't break the game for casual players. This is not an unfair proposal. If you want to play with the big boys on Super Elite, then you get the challenge. You don't get rewarded, but you do get bragging rights. You beat Teleios on Super Elite. Wow man, that was one heck of a fight!

You can put that up on Youtube to show off.

Everyone wins.

Everyone is happy.

This is the solution.

Good day sir.

• Options
    crypticbuxomcrypticbuxom Posts: 4,592 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps a team size option could be inserted. One that you can change to a team number to no less than how many players are actually on your team.

The only other option is to add a new difficulty level like what STO did. But that would take man hours this game cannot afford with its small crew.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Posts: 5,491 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    The problem w/ difficulty levels is scaling the rewards with the extra difficulty. Adding a flat damage/dodge buff isn't really the answer, IMO. What this game needs, (and has always needed IMO), is an improvement to the AI. At harder difficulties, give enemies buffs to use on their allies and debuffs to use on you. Have them cooperate and coordinate their attacks...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited October 2012

The problem is is that the majority of the player-base doesn't do that. So the way to fix this is to either add a new difficulty level (Super Elite) which makes those shiny purples about as useful as average white items, or people need to create their own difficulty and realise that their lack of difficulty is created by their grinding.

But I understand the lure of the shiny purple loot with the big numbers. So perhaps the solution isn't to make the game harder, but to introduce a Super Elite difficulty which does what I described. And then to make zones also use difficulty settings, so that you can go into a world zone instance (like Monster Island) where everything is Super Elite.

The only problem here is that we can't expect them to include items for these Super Elite world zones, so it'll be an increase in difficulty only. You could then grind Serpent Lantern for your shiny purples or whatnot, and then have your challenge in a Super Elite world zone.

That's what would fix this.

Again, the problem here is that some people have way, way, way too much time on their hands. And not everyone has purple gear with amazing avoidance, dodge, and crit numbers on them. Yes, a tiny per centage of players who put too much time into the game do, but that's not everyone.

And I'm not saying 'stuff it, deal with it' as you can read.

I'm just saying that the best solution is to include an increased difficulty level with no increased rewards. And make it work across the board.

It makes me sad whenever I see that lifer title and said lifer can't get the facts straight.

SL Elite farming pre-alert never dropped crazy purples. Ever, at least as far back as a year since I started. What it did offer were stat bonuses scaled to difficulty, which made them better than typical purples, and on par with hero game purples.

What you propose doesn't fix anything. This game is easy by gamer standards. "Casual" gamers are typically lacking in skill as they simply don't devote much time in learning, whether it be game mechanics, understanding what the "trinity" is, or even as far as what the block button does.

I've killed a level 40 elite mega-destroid terminator solo on a simple AT. They can be found in resistance, and if you have no idea why that's meaningful, just walk towards one ;) That is an example of doing something just for the sake of doing something. But general gameplay goes well beyond doing something just to know that it can be done.

In any game, reward is what it all comes down to. The same reward may be valued very different between 2 players, but ultimately players want to feel rewarded for their efforts. Casual gamers need to be rewarded just as much as more dedicated and hardcore gamers.

However, one must understand, just because both need to be rewarded, doesn't mean both should receive the same rewards. In the real world, folks that dedicate themselves to years of higher education (e.g. doctors/lawyers) are expected to make more than those that only devote themselves to a high school education. In MMOs, those who put more time and effort are deserving of better rewards than the typical casual gamer.

Don't get me wrong, being of the superhero genre, it's clear that these games cater to the casual gamer, and rightfully so. Just as not every player is elite, not every player is casual. What may be child's play for me can lead another player to struggle horrendously, and trying to establish a standard of difficulty when players can be on both extremes of the spectrum is a daunting task.

Once alert hit, I swapped all my difficulties from elite to normal. Short of a DS or TT run, there's absolutely no significant benefit to running elite anymore. All it does is slow down your efficiency as things take longer to kill. Of course, I'm still able to recreate that sense of challenge in pvp combat. If not for pvp, I would have been bored to tears and gone months ago.

On the flip side, not everyone is willing and/or capable to compete against other players, and thus require that sense of challenge to come from their pve experience. Just as I don't think folks should feel forced to pvp, folks should be able to feel challenged in their pve experience should they desire it.